Time For A Canadian Summer Stadium Tour: Call it "The Aw-EH Shows"

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    It seems to get less and less likely?  PJ Tours less and doesn't really play small venues anymore.   The 2011 tour wasn't as extensive as the 2005 tour (skipping atlantic Canada) and subsequent tours get smaller and smaller.   Meaning the odds of them playing small market shows get less and less.  Leaving them with what other bands do in Canada.  Vancouver, one of the cities in alberta, ontario, and quebec?  Usually hitting them up with east/west coast US tours.

Hopefully I'm wrong.   It would be amazing if they ever played Victoria, but our 7000 seat arena seems a little short for a band that's trying to play 40+ thousand stadiums.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Canada's only hope is to get more MLB teams since PJ only plays baseball stadiums.  Bring back the Montreal Expos and you might get 2 shows!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • KICK7071KICK7071 In My Tree, ON Posts: 712
    MayDay10 said:
    Instead of baseball stadiums, they can do hockey arenas.  Wouldnt that be weird?
    Whoa... mind blown
    Toronto 10-05-2000 / Toronto 06-28-2003 / Toronto 09-19-2005 / Toronto 05-09-2006 / Buffalo 05-10-2010 / Toronto 09-11-2011 /
    Hamilton 09-15-2011 / London - Canada 07-16-2013 / Buffalo 10-12-2013 / Ottawa 05-08-2016 / Toronto 05-10-2016 / Toronto 05-12-2016
    Amsterdam 06-12-2018 / Amsterdam 06-13-2018 / Chicago 08-18-2018 / Boston 09-02-2018 / Boston 09-04-2018 / Quebec City 09-01-2022 / Ottawa 09-03-2022 / Hamilton 09-06-2022 / Toronto 09-08-2022 / New York City 09-11-2022 / Chicago 09-05-2023 / Chicago 09-07-2023 / Austin 09-18-2023 / Austin 09-19-2023
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJWGIII said:
    This American gives you support. Maybe some Uncle Neil appearances too of course!
    can't recall if it was 05 or 11, but in Winnipeg the crowd started to buzz as Ed started to talk about Neil, about how he was from here, etc, and then he finally said "he's not here tonight" or something like that. Man, was I disappointed. I really thought he might show. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,317
    demetrios said:
    demetrios said:
    i was thinking more along the lines of...
    corey hart
    Imagine Pearl Jam covering Corey Hart's Never Surrender :o  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4pg6Jh94Lo  
    :sick: 
    That song blows.
    lol. It's not that bad.
    Dude is back. The Never Surrender Tour. Hasn't toured since 1986.

• SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    Pearl Jam are not allowed to tour Canada until I get more money.
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
    Canada's only hope is to get more MLB teams since PJ only plays baseball stadiums.  Bring back the Montreal Expos and you might get 2 shows!
    We do have Football stadiums.   Vancouver has BC place, most of the other bigger cities also have CFL stadiums.

That being said our populations are a lot smaller.   Not sure they would sell out BC place in Vancouver.   Arena show's sell out, but fan club demand for those shows is usually pretty low.
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    no stadium shows please . they suck.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    foodboy said:
    no stadium shows please . they suck.
    I prefer arena shows for sure but how someone could say Fenway 2 16, Wrigley 2 16, Seattle 2 18 sucked is beyond me. 
    foodboy said:
    no stadium shows please 

I'm not into stadium shows either. I just don't think they'll come here again unless it's for big coin like that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 831
    Im sure they can get a huge draw at Quebec Summer festival or maybe a Downsview Park festival in Toronto.  I prefer arena shows as well but i'll take anything.
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Didn't someone get shut down the other day by expressing anger for topics like this one?  Because Everyone from every small population corner of the globe saying a tour there is overdue.

That's true, but it's true everywhere. Its the way PJ has decided to live their lives.  So be it.

Pearl Jam is as limited action act, it's not just Canada, Houston, California,  Australia  or anywhere else. Its overall lack of touring 

In 2016, they played 5 Canadian shows.

In the following 36 months (assuming no shows in the next 6) they will have traveled to 3 American cities.

Their very own home country. Ten times the population of Canada. Ten times. Traveled to 3 US cities in 36 months.

It's time for a full US tour. But Im not starting that topic...yet. Just point it out to fans in other markets feeling left out. We are all left out.

Per capita, the most underserved market is the United States.
    Didn't someone get shut down the other day by expressing anger for topics like this one?  Because Everyone from every small population corner of the globe saying a tour there is overdue.

That's true, but it's true everywhere. Its the way PJ has decided to live their lives.  So be it.

Pearl Jam is as limited action act, it's not just Canada, Houston, California,  Australia  or anywhere else. Its overall lack of touring 

In the following 36 months (assuming no shows in the next 6) they will have traveled to 3 American cities.

Their very own home country. Ten times the population of Canada. Ten times. Traveled to 3 US cities in 36 months.

It's time for a full US tour. But Im not starting that topic...yet. Just point it out to fans in other markets feeling left out. We are all left out.

in their entire history, PJ has done a full Canadian tour THREE TIMES. 1993. 2005. 2011. Ed has never come here solo. 

it's so much easier (and cheaper) to travel in the continental US than it is in Canada if you don't get a local show (except if you live in Southern Ontario). 

anyway, I don't see the big issue with having a thread like this. I don't bitch when peple start "come play (this country)" threads. I don't get why people feel they "own" PJ or that the band owes them a show. I'm just hoping. But I don't hold out much hope. it sucks touring Canada. It's expensive and gruelling. So I get it. 

I doubt there will ever be another full US tour. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I love Canada and I love Pearl Jam shows in Canada. Loved seeing them in Toronto, loved seeing them in Montreal.

Play Canada, Pearl Jam. They're due.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Falling DownFalling Down Posts: 723
    edited December 2018

in their entire history, PJ has done a full Canadian tour THREE TIMES. 1993. 2005. 2011. Ed has never come here solo. 

it's so much easier (and cheaper) to travel in the continental US than it is in Canada if you don't get a local show (except if you live in Southern Ontario). 

anyway, I don't see the big issue with having a thread like this. I don't bitch when peple start "come play (this country)" threads. I don't get why people feel they "own" PJ or that the band owes them a show. I'm just hoping. But I don't hold out much hope. it sucks touring Canada. It's expensive and gruelling. So I get it. 

EV came to Montreal twice in 2008... but that was a while ago 
    Post edited by Falling Down on

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    I would go to shows in Canada.  Hell, I drove to freaking London Ontario from Albany New York in 2013 to see them.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    Bring it on! If other big name bands can make it work so can PJ.
    Jbarker said:
    well I'm sure they CAN, I just don't think they care to. and I don't blame them. I just want one more CDN tour before they are done. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    Jbarker said:
    well I'm sure they CAN, I just don't think they care to. and I don't blame them. I just want one more CDN tour before they are done. 

And before I'm done.

My "extracurricular" window was open for a spell and will soon be closing as my kids near "post-secondary" age.

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094

There may never be a full US tour again. When was the last one, 2013? The reality is there just isn't that much touring...anywhere.

For every spot in the world wanting a full tour, I do feel bad for those fans. When they play here in NYC, there are never enough tickets. 60 million live within a 4 hour drive from here (almost double Canada's population), and PJ is enormously popular in NY. Next time they post ticket odds, check out how low NY gets.

I also feel bad "picking on" one of my favourite countries. Gord forever.  But given how PJ has decided to deal with their superstardom, they have chosen a different lifestyle. I ain't thrilled about it, but as a parent I get it. I wish they figure out a way to balance it a little more towards the fans in the future.
    hell yeah, I've said a million times, the guys are 10 years older than me, and I wouldn't want to do that at MY age NOW. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

EV played a solo show in Vancouver in 2008 (I didn't see it). I'm surprised he hasn't been back. It's so close.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I'm kind of with the other guy.  PJ doesn't play much anywhere period.  With each passing year the odds of them playing a significant amount of small market shows diminishes.   At least, being Canadians, many of us don't live that far from the US.   6 hours of ferry/driving and I'm in Seattle.   Many other Canadian cities are in somewhat closish proximity to US locations.  Chicago is an 8 hour drive from Toronto.  Calgary is a 7 hour trek to Missoula.  Atlantic Canada is within 10 hours of Boston :)  Montreal is a 5 hour drive to boston.  Quebec City a few more.

The worst province to live in for shows driveable in a day are probably Sask, Manitoba, Newfoundland.

I think we have it better than a lot of other PJ fans.  At least there's some shows in a day's drive from time to time on our continent :)

Zod said:
    Atlantic Canada is within 10 hours of Boston :)
    Next Pearl Jam show at the Garden, we will be driving down.

Someday Pearl Jam will come back to Maine. It's been what since 1996?

• PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    demetrios said:
    Zod said:
    Atlantic Canada is within 10 hours of Boston :)
    Next Pearl Jam show at the Garden, we will be driving down.

Someday Pearl Jam will come back to Maine. It's been what since 1996?

See.  That is the tour.  Obscure venues tour, ala Moline in 2014, go back to the Civic Center.  Play a 3-4 day stint at some small venues in one town/city or sprinkle them in among the smaller arenas.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I ve seen pj four times in canada and each show was absolutely amazing. I d head to a pj show north of the border in a second. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • They hit Toronto, Ottawa and Quebec City in 2016 and I think London, Vancouver and Calgary in 2013 so they're not supremely due to return to those places, but, it's been since 2011 for Montreal.  A great spot for anyone in the US northeast, the Canadian maritimes, south and east Ontario, and of course Quebec, not to mention a major international airport not that many hours from Europe.  Some people think Montreal is a quasi-European city and the band really likes Europe.  It would make a lot of sense to play there.  Just not in winter!
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    kst said:
    They hit Toronto, Ottawa and Quebec City in 2016 and I think London, Vancouver and Calgary in 2013 so they're not supremely due to return to those places, but, it's been since 2011 for Montreal.  A great spot for anyone in the US northeast, the Canadian maritimes, south and east Ontario, and of course Quebec, not to mention a major international airport not that many hours from Europe.  Some people think Montreal is a quasi-European city and the band really likes Europe.  It would make a lot of sense to play there.  Just not in winter!
    They played Vancouver in 2016 too (Pemberton).    I wonder if that's more like what Canada will see in the future.  Larger Markets only.  Vancouver/Toronto/Montreal/Quebec City/One of the Alberta cities/Ottawa
    Zod said:
    kst said:
    They hit Toronto, Ottawa and Quebec City in 2016 and I think London, Vancouver and Calgary in 2013 so they're not supremely due to return to those places, but, it's been since 2011 for Montreal.  A great spot for anyone in the US northeast, the Canadian maritimes, south and east Ontario, and of course Quebec, not to mention a major international airport not that many hours from Europe.  Some people think Montreal is a quasi-European city and the band really likes Europe.  It would make a lot of sense to play there.  Just not in winter!
    They played Vancouver in 2016 too (Pemberton).    I wonder if that's more like what Canada will see in the future.  Larger Markets only.  Vancouver/Toronto/Montreal/Quebec City/One of the Alberta cities/Ottawa
    What? Nothing East of Quebec City?