Is technology taking over our lives?!?

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    It's coming sooner than 30 years 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I refuse to use self check-out. I'd rather keep young people in jobs.
    Great. Unfortunately it's not going to do any good in the long run. At some point you're not going to have an option. Businesses aren't going to keep employing people when they don't need to.
    I will wait for the day that I can just roll my cart to the check and it somehow figures out what's in my cart and bills me accurately...
    Yeah. That will be soon, since that technology already exists, and is reliable. Amazon already opened its second store like this in Seattle. It actually reads what you have when you take it off the shelf. And it's all tabulated via an app on your smartphone, which you scan when you walk in the door. It works by using the same types of technologies found in self-driving cars. It can detect when products are taken or returned to the shelves and keeps track of them in your virtual cart. When you walk out of the store, you're automatically charged electronically.
    I'll be using that for sure.  I thought Amazon had something like that.  It's safe to assume it knows if you returned an item?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Great. Unfortunately it's not going to do any good in the long run. At some point you're not going to have an option. Businesses aren't going to keep employing people when they don't need to.
    I will wait for the day that I can just roll my cart to the check and it somehow figures out what's in my cart and bills me accurately...
    Yeah. That will be soon, since that technology already exists, and is reliable. Amazon already opened its second store like this in Seattle. It actually reads what you have when you take it off the shelf. And it's all tabulated via an app on your smartphone, which you scan when you walk in the door. It works by using the same types of technologies found in self-driving cars. It can detect when products are taken or returned to the shelves and keeps track of them in your virtual cart. When you walk out of the store, you're automatically charged electronically.
    I'll be using that for sure.  I thought Amazon had something like that.  It's safe to assume it knows if you returned an item?
    Yes, same way it knows you've taken something, it knows when you put it back. This will also literally eliminate people's ability to shoplift, assuming someone without a scan-in is flagged when they take something off a shelf ... I've actually not read how they keep people from not scanning in and just taking shit without any virtual cart. Alarms go off maybe? Staff is alerted? It doesn't seem like a hard thing to deal with.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yes, same way it knows you've taken something, it knows when you put it back. This will also literally eliminate people's ability to shoplift, assuming someone without a scan-in is flagged when they take something off a shelf ... I've actually not read how they keep people from not scanning in and just taking shit without any virtual cart. Alarms go off maybe? Staff is alerted? It doesn't seem like a hard thing to deal with.
    With Amazon, it is billed directly to your account? I was out with my Dad and Uncle last week.  My Uncle is on one man crusade to stop electronic banking.  He was pissed when his insurance company said they only do direct debit, debit or credit card...he is looking for a new insurance company, I said "good luck".  What can you do, he is in his 80's, always paid cash ... like my sister says, "in many ways, the world is hard on seniors".
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    With Amazon, it is billed directly to your account? I was out with my Dad and Uncle last week.  My Uncle is on one man crusade to stop electronic banking.  He was pissed when his insurance company said they only do direct debit, debit or credit card...he is looking for a new insurance company, I said "good luck".  What can you do, he is in his 80's, always paid cash ... like my sister says, "in many ways, the world is hard on seniors".
    If he can't adopt then his kids/family should step in to assist.  Older people still want their independence but they need help adjusting sometimes.
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, it's billed to whatever payment method you set up to be billed.
    I don't get people against e-banking. It is so vastly superior, I actually have trouble imagining what it was like before, even though I lived many adult years of my life without it. Although with the elderly I guess I can empathize. Change like that seems to be scary to some of them. My mother is like this too. The whole thing is fairly upsetting to her. It seems to make her feel overwhelmed. Although not for my dad, who is 5 years old than she is. I like to think I'm more like my dad this way. I'll be really disappointed in myself if I stop being able to move with the times. So far I'm excellent at it, and right on top of it ... I better keep myself mentally prepared to some crazy shit, lol. I guess my next step has to be a home assistant. I haven't done it so far just because I don't want to spend all the money it costs to set it up so it's REALLY cool. Like with the light bulbs and all that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    When I went to the amazon store in Seattle they had staff at the door to prevent anyone without the app from entering. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Those young people are what drove me to self checkout. 

Actually, not just the young ones. 

hippiemom = goodness
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I go to a person if there is no line. otherwise, I use self checkout. the business isn't going to get rid of employees because of self checkout usage, they are going to get rid of employees if it makes good business and fiscal sense. 

in a larger supermarket, it replaced one MAYBE two of the larger checkout lines, but the self-checkout still employs at least one full time "helper", so no human was replaced by a machine. they did that so it was easier for the 1-12 item customers to not wait a half hour in line and go to 7-11 instead out of frustration. they were increasing or keeping revenues while maintaining about the same amount of staff. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    When I went to the amazon store in Seattle they had staff at the door to prevent anyone without the app from entering. 
    Ah ha. Good to know, thanks... Do you know what happened if one person with the app wanted to go in with a person without the app?? I would have thought that if someone goes in and takes something off a shelf and there is no corresponding app account to charge the item to, an alert would happen somewhere. I'd personally think an actual flashing alarm where the item was taken would be a very effective deterrent, lol.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Ah ha. Good to know, thanks... Do you know what happened if one person with the app wanted to go in with a person without the app?? I would have thought that if someone goes in and takes something off a shelf and there is no corresponding app account to charge the item to, an alert would happen somewhere. I'd personally think an actual flashing alarm where the item was taken would be a very effective deterrent, lol.

You just aren't allowed in without the app. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Easier, maybe. But also shallower and emptier. 

I'm addicted to my iPhone and it's becoming quite a problem. I spend all my free time switching between Instragram and Snapchat, waiting to get replies from whoever I'm talking to or likes on my posts. That's basically what my life has become - a feedback loop. I started playing guitar back in March of this yea
    My parent's attic - 2018
    My college dorm - 2019
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well, they better lower their prices seeing they ain't paying staff and I should not have to pay extra to do their work.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    a quick google search of the question says no......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:
    Tech isn't taking over our lives?

What millennial wrote that report?
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well, they better lower their prices seeing they ain't paying staff and I should not have to pay extra to do their work.
    HA! Yeah, that's how it should be... But a lot of things SHOULD be. Doesn't mean they are. Most corporations will probably keep every red cent. This is the same reason trickle down theory/Reaganomics doesn't work at all.
    PJ_Soul said:
    The corporations will spin it the other way if you don't use self check-out prices go up.  I'm still not using it...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    mickeyrat said:

kinda got past you, didn't it.......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Yep.  Over my head.  Not sure what you are trying to get at?

When I google that question the first 10 responses all say yes...

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

:lol:

• PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Yeah, I'll admit that I still don't get it...
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Haha, mickeyrat was being ironic. You know, he had to check Google to answer the question? ;)
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Haha, mickeyrat was being ironic. You know, he had to check Google to answer the question? ;)
    Yeah, sarcasm doesn't go over well in text.

edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I dunno, I got it. ;) And I wouldn't call it sarcasm. More a joke - all in the words on the screen, not in the tone. Just teasing you though; nobody picks up on shit every time, haha.
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I dunno, I got it. ;) And I wouldn't call it sarcasm. More a joke - all in the words on the screen, not in the tone. Just teasing you though; nobody picks up on shit every time, haha.
    I'm not afraid to let people know that I don't get it.  I ask questions when I don't understand things.

I ain't scrrrrd.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I'm not afraid to let people know that I don't get it.  I ask questions when I don't understand things.

I ain't scrrrrd.
    I really just wanted to use that gif because I think it's hilarious, lol.
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I ain't scrrrrd.
    I really just wanted to use that gif because I think it's hilarious, lol.
    It is cute.  It's amazing that we need technology to get our "point" across...

I'm here all night ladies and gentleman!!!
  • hedonist said:
    Why not teach people to be responsible when operating a potential killing machine, instead of catering to their stupidity?

No thanks to cars that drive themselves; I doubt it would be as idyllic as many seem to envision.
    You know people aren't putting down their devices so I say let the cars drive themselves.

Wouldn’t it be much more sensible to ban the stupid phones and even alcohol before changing our methods of transportation. But since when have the people that run this country actually cared about having enlightened, mindful citizens. It’d never happen, this mess has been caused by design. Enough healing the symptoms and more effecting the cause.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• hedonist said:
    Why not teach people to be responsible when operating a potential killing machine, instead of catering to their stupidity?

No thanks to cars that drive themselves; I doubt it would be as idyllic as many seem to envision.
    You know people aren't putting down their devices so I say let the cars drive themselves.

Wouldn’t it be much more sensible to ban the stupid phones and even alcohol before changing our methods of transportation. But since when have the people that run this country actually cared about having enlightened, mindful citizens. It’d never happen, this mess has been caused by design. Enough healing the symptoms and more effecting the cause.
    They tried banning alcohol once and that didn't work out to well...

They are going to legalize pot in my lifetime too.

I do believe once those self-checkouts figure out your fruit and produce without us having to search through a menu of items they will take off, that's a big complaint of mine.  
    Give Peas A Chance…