Where does PJ go with the next record?

IMO, the band has been lacking on the last two efforts. Sure, there are some great songs, but overall it kind of just leaves me at "okay this is a rock band." Say what you will about Avocado, but the songwriting/energy beats mostly anything on Backspacer and a lot of LB. Pearl Jam is clearly at their best when they're politically charged and have something to say (as they've mentioned before). "Can't Deny Me" is an okay song, (I like it probably more than a lot of others, but I see its flaws) but I actually think that that leaves them in a pretty good place even if thats not one of the best songs. What do y'all think?
(Also, I remember Stone saying something in one of the LB interviews that they were going in the direction of Pendulum and Infallible, and I like Pendulum enough for the atmosphere, but Infallible is meh.)
Philadelphia 1 (April 28, 2016)
Sea.Hear.Now Festival (September 18, 2021)
Ohana Festival Encore Weekend (October 01, 2021)
Ohana Festival Encore Weekend (October 02, 2021)
MSG (September 11, 2022)
Camden (September 14, 2022)
Tagged:

Comments

• KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    Pendulum and Infallible are my two favorite from the last record so I’d really like that direction 
  • I like Backspacer and LB. So I am okay with anything they want to give us. Infallible is a top 5 song for me between the two albums, heard it the first time and I was hooked. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Backspacer and LB have a more popish feel to it, which is why a lot of people don't put them in their top 5 - it's just not exactly the genre they're expecting when they sit down to listen to Pearl Jam.
    That being said, I love the middle albums (NC-RA) because of how experimental they feel. Binaural is a masterpiece, and I think that it stands as one of the greatest albums they've ever put together. I'd like to see something artsy like that again, kind of taking from the vibe of pendulum and infallible and expanding on them.
    However that's also very unlikely. I'm expecting them to return to a more rockish feel, based off how Can't Deny turned out and the mood they've been taking towards shows recently. It'll definitely be high-energy to say the least. Also, the experimental conditions of the middle albums were pretty much a result of them finally being free to fuck around with their music after the public eye turned away from them following the ticketmaster affair. Since Avocado came out they've had a pretty continuous following of lifetime fans and nostalgic gen-x kids who came back to them a decade after they stopped showing up on the radio. So the conditions will likely warrant something that's different from what we've seen in both the early in middle records. As I said before, I'm expecting a lot of political rockers. Maybe bordering on the classification of pop punk, who knows.
    My parent's attic - 2018
    My college dorm - 2019
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    just like to here a new album
    danny d
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    danny said:
    just like to here a new album
    I don't think I'm that desperate, but I also don't have any expectations. Who knows if they're even working on an album. The amount of communication through the bands 'main channel' is horrid when it comes to that. Sick of "oh but Mike said on Instagram," or "Dimi said on Facebook", or "did you catch Sirius" or my  ALL TIME favorite is when someone catches one of the band in person and we hear about something that way. For fucks sake, I get the band's ethos to a certain point, but then when it comes to new music, let's get some updates, let's get us a few photos from in the studio.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Oh shit, what will it sound like? It will sound like Parquet Courts.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Is there anywhere to go but up?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2018
    I hope they go somewhere creative. Some songs on LB showed some great promise in the atmosphere department (Pendulum etc) but most of it sounds like it's lacking identity. You can mix and match between the songs on Backspacer and LB and no one could tell it was on the wrong album. 

I don't care if they do a record with a symphony orchestra, or record every song in one live take in Stones garage. Just do something that give the album an identity.

And PLEASE don't have a "my first tutorial in an Adobe software" illustrated cover. Give it some depth, texture, analoge feel. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I hope they go somewhere creative. Some songs on LB showed some great promise in the atmosphere department (Pendulum etc) but most of it sounds like it's lacking identity. You can mix and match between the songs on Backspacer and LB and no one could tell it was on the wrong album. 

I don't care if they do a record with a symphony orchestra, or record every song in one live take in Stones garage. Just do something that give the album an identity.

And PLEASE don't have a "my first tutorial in an Adobe software" illustrated cover. Give it some depth, texture, analoge feel. 
    They won a grammy for the last albums artwork...  Go Don Pendleton!
  • I hope they go somewhere creative. Some songs on LB showed some great promise in the atmosphere department (Pendulum etc) but most of it sounds like it's lacking identity. You can mix and match between the songs on Backspacer and LB and no one could tell it was on the wrong album. 

They won a grammy for the last albums artwork...  Go Don Pendleton!
    Doing something to look good on on itunes thumbnails is just sad. 

But them handdrawing the vinyl cover was a nice touch. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I fear that we have a splintered band.  They seem to all be doing their own things and then they get together to put out an album.  

I am not sure that a great album can be done this way.  I hope I'm wrong....it just seems like they need to be together for a decent amount of time to create something and I don't think that is on their schedule.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    I am not big into reruns, and I am a bit of an outlier in that I liked Lightning Bolt a lot.  I have no interest in wanting to hear Pearl Jam try to repeat themselves, so whatever it is I prefer it is music that inspires them (which is generally what they have always done) than any attempt to reach back to some godforsaken glory day.  

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    edited December 2018
    Middle of the road adult contemporary rock. A good lead single, a couple Ramones rip offs, a sappy Ed ballad and some forgettable mid tempo rockers that will only be played for one tour.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    ^^^ I have no expectations..the days of putting out a great album are long gone..
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    Middle of the road adult contemporary rock. A good lead single, a couple Ramones rip offs, a sappy Ed ballad and some forgettable mid tempo rockers that will only be played for one tour.
    Sadly this
  • Wma31394 said:
    ^^^ I have no expectations..the days of putting out a great album are long gone..
    I bet people said this about Neil Young in the mid 80s too.

But Neil is another beast ofc.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I just want them to put out a new record. It’s been way too long.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    To me. Both Backspacer and Lighting Bolt had a similar vibe. I would love to see them really branch out and do something different ala No Code. When it does come out i'd imagine it being a emotionally heavy record considering recent events...
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Middle of the road adult contemporary rock. A good lead single, a couple Ramones rip offs, a sappy Ed ballad and some forgettable mid tempo rockers that will only be played for one tour.
    ouch. thats a little too much truth. especially the mid-tempo stuff... ugh. PB11041 said:
    I am not big into reruns, and I am a bit of an outlier in that I liked Lightning Bolt a lot.  I have no interest in wanting to hear Pearl Jam try to repeat themselves, so whatever it is I prefer it is music that inspires them (which is generally what they have always done) than any attempt to reach back to some godforsaken glory day.  

I also enjoy LB to an extent (when listening to the entire thing straight through on vinyl I mean). And I do like that they do a lot of different things, but are they really being "different" if all their music is "rock" that they don't even play live and leave it to the old stuff to fill 2 1/2 hour setlists and make money off rereleases?

IDK I just don't want Pearl Jam to be confused with Foo Fighters garbage. 
    Philadelphia 1 (April 28, 2016)
    Sea.Hear.Now Festival (September 18, 2021)
    Ohana Festival Encore Weekend (October 01, 2021)
    Ohana Festival Encore Weekend (October 02, 2021)
    MSG (September 11, 2022)
    Camden (September 14, 2022)
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    PB11041 said:

:clap:  Thank you!  Some of these comments here make me wonder why some people are even still fans.  Always longing for the next No Code or Vitalogy, claiming the last 2-4 albums aren't good, or that the band lost their creativity or have become uninspired.  It's a good thing these guys aren't as snarky as Billy Corgan.  It's no wonder he gets pissed off at fans when they keep asking him to make Siamese & Mellon Collie 2.
    PB11041 said:

:clap:  Thank you!  Some of these comments here make me wonder why some people are even still fans.  Always longing for the next No Code or Vitalogy, claiming the last 2-4 albums aren't good, or that the band lost their creativity or have become uninspired.  It's a good thing these guys aren't as snarky as Billy Corgan.  It's no wonder he gets pissed off at fans when they keep asking him to make Siamese & Mellon Collie 2.
    You can still be a fan while saying the past few albums haven't been that good..it has nothing to do with repeating themselves, it's just about the quality of work on recent albums.
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    edited December 2018
    Wma31394 said:
    I bet people said this about Neil Young in the mid 80s too.

But Neil is another beast ofc.
    They also said this about The Stones, unfortunately. The side projects might be killing this band's creative output. It'd be nice if some of these fresher ideas went to a PJ album.
    Post edited by rummy on
    PB11041 said:

It is a thing I simply do not understand.  But honestly it was something I learned big time a long while ago with Vitalogy and No Code, sometimes fans really do just want things to be version 2.0.   Not my cup of tea.  

• I don't see anyone in here screaming about getting another Vitalogy or No Code?
    Wma31394 said:
    PB11041 said:

You can still be a fan while saying the past few albums haven't been that good..it has nothing to do with repeating themselves, it's just about the quality of work on recent albums.
    https://youtu.be/1LTiKJlB62g

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I also get a kick out of the crowd that, just because PJ did a 4-city stadium tour this summer, think that they are only ever going to play baseball stadiums in the US now.  Calm down, folks.
  • JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557

The "Realist" side of me says...
    Pearl Jam had a marvelous run. Gave us (10) amazing albums, a heap of worthy B-Sides and a well built live catalog. Their creative arc burned like magnesium at its peak, and continues to shine in the distance like the trail of a falling star. Yet it still fades and they have deservedly earned a graceful retirement. I am more than satisfied with their current catalog, especially if it means they not dilute it further with manufactured offerings. Studio appearances that have to be encouraged and forced, or cumbersome lyrics rammed into a song because the fans need an album. Be a band, enjoy being in a band and do it like a band or don't do it.

The "Optimist" side of me says...
    Of course send out another album. I never really considered LB to be a follow-up to BS, and as soon as I heard Can't Deny Me, I immediately thought LB was more of a pre-cursor to the next batch of material. Bring it on. Experimental, adult-contemp, fucking whatever... If Ed has the words and Stone has a groove, then I'm all in. if it takes four years to schedule enough studio time to lay down all the tracks than fine. If its PJ, its golden to my ears because as a fan I won't really 'compare' it, I won't really 'rank' it and I won't really 'critique' it. Like everyone in here, I will have an emotional connection to some degree and let it settle on my soul like swirling stardust.

But to answer the OP:

Getaway-esque rockers for the bulk sprinkled with a few insightful ballads.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I also get a kick out of the crowd that, just because PJ did a 4-city stadium tour this summer, think that they are only ever going to play baseball stadiums in the US now.  Calm down, folks.
    Agreed.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    I don't see anyone in here screaming about getting another Vitalogy or No Code?
    That'd be A LOT to ask/wish for. 
    IMO, the band has been lacking on the last two efforts. Sure, there are some great songs, but overall it kind of just leaves me at "okay this is a rock band." Say what you will about Avocado, but the songwriting/energy beats mostly anything on Backspacer and a lot of LB. Pearl Jam is clearly at their best when they're politically charged and have something to say (as they've mentioned before). "Can't Deny Me" is an okay song, (I like it probably more than a lot of others, but I see its flaws) but I actually think that that leaves them in a pretty good place even if thats not one of the best songs. What do y'all think?
    (Also, I remember Stone saying something in one of the LB interviews that they were going in the direction of Pendulum and Infallible, and I like Pendulum enough for the atmosphere, but Infallible is meh.)
    I would say the band is at their worst when politically charged..