The Idiot Thread

Comments

• mcgruff10 said:
    Somebody definitely made the naughty list.
    https://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2018/11/santa_isnt_real_substitute_teacher_tells_students.html

Substitute teacher told 1st graders Santa isn't real, basically ruined Christmas

A substitute teacher in Montville has landed on the naughty list after telling first-graders that Santa isn't real.

The Cedar Hill School sent a letter to parents apologizing for the holiday gaffe, which occurred on Thursday in the first-grade class.

"During the course of the day, a substitute teacher apparently announced to the class that Santa was not real," the school's principal, Michael J. Raj, wrote in the letter provided Friday to NJ Advance Media.

Raj did not identify the teacher, but said he had spoken with her "regarding her poor judgement in making this proclamation."

"As a father of four myself, I am truly aware of the sensitive nature of this announcement," Raj said, adding he was informing parents "so that you are aware of the situation and if the conversation comes up at home over the next few days you can take appropriate steps to maintain the childhood innocence of the holiday season."

Montville Schools Superintendent Rene Rovtar issued a statement that she was "troubled and disheartened by this incident."

"The childhood wonder associated with all holidays and traditions is something I personally hold near and dear in my own heart," Rovtar said.

Santa's not real? Seriously??

Please tell me God is though. He's real, right?

(shots aside... good gawd woman... way to go... way to get yourself plopped into the idiot thread)
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    When you name your child ABCDE, the greatest day your brain can envision on a subconsciousness level in the future is when the child is mocked so you can tweet outrage.  This is a glorious day for the mother.  Fitting that this happened on a Southwest flight, although Allegiant Air would have been optimal for prime idiocy.  Preferably while someone's therapy squirrel was running amok while being chased by therapy dogs.
  • Jason P said:
    When you name your child ABCDE, the greatest day your brain can envision on a subconsciousness level in the future is when the child is mocked so you can tweet outrage.  This is a glorious day for the mother.  Fitting that this happened on a Southwest flight, although Allegiant Air would have been optimal for prime idiocy.  Preferably while someone's therapy squirrel was running amok while being chased by therapy dogs.

Normalcy is the minority these days.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Therapy squirrel lol
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I am mystified as to why you guys are all losing your shit to make fun of a little kid's name.

All names are made up, people. Either this generation, or last generation, or a hundred years ago, or even further back, all names are made up. Your name isn't any more special just because your great grand-daddy had the same name. You all sound like you're sitting in your rocking chair on the porch of your old folk's home, grousing with the other grumps about kids today.

And anyone who makes fun of a little kid's name to her face is an idiot. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    I am mystified as to why you guys are all losing your shit to make fun of a little kid's name.

All names are made up, people. Either this generation, or last generation, or a hundred years ago, or even further back, all names are made up. Your name isn't any more special just because your great grand-daddy had the same name. You all sound like you're sitting in your rocking chair on the porch of your old folk's home, grousing with the other grumps about kids today.

A few weeks ago I met a guy who was in his mid 70s named Howard Johnson.  In the course of our conversation the subject of his name came up and I asked him what his parents were  thinking.  His response " I don't know I'm still mad about it"!
  • I am mystified as to why you guys are all losing your shit to make fun of a little kid's name.

Nobody is losing their shit. And everybody agrees that the adult who made fun of the name- to her face- is an idiot.

Everybody is just saying that there is another idiot in this story too. The mother set her kid up for something this. If I named my son 'Adolph'... or 'Charles Manson' (first and middle names)... or Donkey... or, as Scruffy suggested, wzzzxv... I'd be setting my kid up for some kind of response that might not necessarily be great.

Some common sense is required to parent effectively. In her zest for coming up with a real unique name in the hopes of soliciting a few 'likes' (making it more about her than her kid in my opinion)... she fumbled. Was it a catastrophic fumble? No. Was it a moronic move? Yes.
  • I am mystified as to why you guys are all losing your shit to make fun of a little kid's name.

A few weeks ago I met a guy who was in his mid 70s named Howard Johnson.  In the course of our conversation the subject of his name came up and I asked him what his parents were  thinking.  His response " I don't know I'm still mad about it"!

Ronald McDonald. Ben Dover. Hugh Jazz.

Was the next sibling named Fghij?
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    2 Halifax-area brothers charged with 'terrorist' hoax at U.S. border
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/bailey-damien-roy-charged-hoax-border-1.4927804?cmp=FB_Post_News&fbclid=IwAR1voFvcqEoV4mN3NoLR7DrFAh0dkm8-23XU8V07F8XWp0e2E8cssKlFLt0

Check out the IDIOT on the right with his Hitler mustache...A real IDIOT.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

Nobody is losing their shit. And everybody agrees that the adult who made fun of the name- to her face- is an idiot.

Everybody is just saying that there is another idiot in this story too. The mother set her kid up for something this. If I named my son 'Adolph'... or 'Charles Manson' (first and middle names)... or Donkey... or, as Scruffy suggested, wzzzxv... I'd be setting my kid up for some kind of response that might not necessarily be great.

Some common sense is required to parent effectively. In her zest for coming up with a real unique name in the hopes of soliciting a few 'likes' (making it more about her than her kid in my opinion)... she fumbled. Was it a catastrophic fumble? No. Was it a moronic move? Yes.

None of us have any idea why she chose that name. And since it doesn't seem like it was deliberately chosen to be offensive, like Charles Manson, who cares? I think kids now are a lot more accepting of different names than we ever were decades ago in small town, monochrome neighbourhoods. You old guys are the only ones bothered by it. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • If some woman wants to name her daughter jfhkjdhgfkzj... or 12345 then go ahead I guess. The infant is unable to protest in any way so it's her call. But in the real world... jfhkjdhgffkzi... or 12345 are strange, awkward and (sorry) silly names for a girl- more a call for attention to the person naming than anything else.

Nobody is saying everyone has to be named Joe or Sally, but people are saying there is such a thing as exercising common sense and appropriateness when considering what to name a child.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    If some woman wants to name her daughter jfhkjdhgfkzj... or 12345 then go ahead I guess. The infant is unable to protest in any way so it's her call. But in the real world... jfhkjdhgffkzi... or 12345 are strange, awkward and (sorry) silly names for a girl- more a call for attention to the person naming than anything else.

Nobody is saying everyone has to be named Joe or Sally, but people are saying there is such a thing as exercising common sense and appropriateness when considering what to name a child.
    Bingo. This little girl is going to be made fun of her entire life.  The mom is a complete moron for using this name. And yes kids are accepting of different names but not this one. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited December 2018
    I feel sorry for the girl, I don't know how her mother was thinking.
    Maybe it was a good thing this happened so that the mother has to see the consequences of choosing that very strange name.
    Bah, humbug: Grade 1 teacher tells students Santa isn’t real, ‘reindeer can’t fly

https://globalnews.ca/news/4722881/teacher-tells-students-santa-isnt-real/?utm_source=GlobalNational&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2SxVrLtfrivLQs6TIATXQBippmuA8kQIwnUbQG_icr85YJxWDmov14Y74

I worked with an idiot who told his kids there was no Santa.  He was a bible thumper, I asked him "if he has informed his kid that that religion, Jesus and God is nothing more than a fairy tale".  The look on his face was priceless.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    a guy I work with is named Tony. had a son. wanted him to be Tony Jr but to be "unique". 

TJ (short for Tony Jr.) spelled phonetically. 

Teejay it is. 

something tells me he won't be the captain of the football team. 

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Why not just Tony Jr.  That seemed fine. Teejay, that's unique.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mcgruff10 said:
    Somebody definitely made the naughty list.
    https://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2018/11/santa_isnt_real_substitute_teacher_tells_students.html

Substitute teacher told 1st graders Santa isn't real, basically ruined Christmas

A substitute teacher in Montville has landed on the naughty list after telling first-graders that Santa isn't real.

The Cedar Hill School sent a letter to parents apologizing for the holiday gaffe, which occurred on Thursday in the first-grade class.

"During the course of the day, a substitute teacher apparently announced to the class that Santa was not real," the school's principal, Michael J. Raj, wrote in the letter provided Friday to NJ Advance Media.

Raj did not identify the teacher, but said he had spoken with her "regarding her poor judgement in making this proclamation."

"As a father of four myself, I am truly aware of the sensitive nature of this announcement," Raj said, adding he was informing parents "so that you are aware of the situation and if the conversation comes up at home over the next few days you can take appropriate steps to maintain the childhood innocence of the holiday season."

Montville Schools Superintendent Rene Rovtar issued a statement that she was "troubled and disheartened by this incident."

"The childhood wonder associated with all holidays and traditions is something I personally hold near and dear in my own heart," Rovtar said.

:lol: Well, they have to learn sometime!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited December 2018

That's the thing. People are focusing on the mom for coming up with a dumb name. But parents come up with dumb names all the time - so what?? That are actually worse "normal" names that Abcde (which is indeed ridiculous). Like, Mildred. That's fucking awful. But in any case, the IDIOT in that story is absolutely the Southwest employee, without question. Like you I think, I don't understand why people aren't getting that.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    a guy I work with is named Tony. had a son. wanted him to be Tony Jr but to be "unique". 

Teejay it is. 

I don't think "Teejay" is that bad.  I used to have a co-worker named "Kaydee."  (Meant more to be like Katie than KD).  And she had to spell it out for people more than our co-worker "Katie" did but I think it's a far cry from Abcde, Apple, North (West), etc.

"Unique" is not necessarily good.  "Minnesota Wild" is unique and the worst name in the NHL.  And it seems self-centered, or at best non-forward-thinking to give your kid a bizzare name that's going to force them into having to explain it for the rest of their lives.  It's like they don't recognize the kid is going to be in school and eventually an adult...they'll be a baby forever.

(That said, back to the Abcde story, it is black-and-white that when you are collecting things with customer info on it you cannot be posting it on social media.  She should have been fired...maybe she was). 

Oddly enough, Abcde is not even as rare as I'd have thought. There are 373 in the US:  https://www.thisisinsider.com/abcde-name-popularity-2018-11
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:

Teejay it is. 

I don't think "Teejay" is that bad.  I used to have a co-worker named "Kaydee."  (Meant more to be like Katie than KD).  And she had to spell it out for people more than our co-worker "Katie" did but I think it's a far cry from Abcde, Apple, North (West), etc.

"Unique" is not necessarily good.  "Minnesota Wild" is unique and the worst name in the NHL.  And it seems self-centered, or at best non-forward-thinking to give your kid a bizzare name that's going to force them into having to explain it for the rest of their lives.  It's like they don't recognize the kid is going to be in school and eventually an adult...they'll be a baby forever.

(That said, back to the Abcde story, it is black-and-white that when you are collecting things with customer info on it you cannot be posting it on social media.  She should have been fired...maybe she was). 

Oddly enough, Abcde is not even as rare as I'd have thought. There are 373 in the US:  https://www.thisisinsider.com/abcde-name-popularity-2018-11
    it might also have something to do with how much of a douche this guy is. it just adds to the story. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited December 2018

Teejay it is. 

I don't think that's too bad. There are several names like this. KayCee is somewhat popular for example. And I definitely don't think it would get him excluded from any kind of success.
    PJ_Soul said:

Teejay it is. 

I don't think that's too bad. There are several names like this. KayCee is somewhat popular for example. And I definitely don't think it would get him excluded from any kind of success.
    I guess it could be worse. 

Paul Jr -> Peejay
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:

Teejay it is. 

I guess it could be worse. 

Paul Jr -> Peejay
    :lol:
  • PJ_Soul said:

That's the thing. People are focusing on the mom for coming up with a dumb name. But parents come up with dumb names all the time - so what?? That are actually worse "normal" names that Abcde (which is indeed ridiculous). Like, Mildred. That's fucking awful. But in any case, the IDIOT in that story is absolutely the Southwest employee, without question. Like you I think, I don't understand why people aren't getting that.
    People are getting it- the employee is the obvious idiot in this multiple idiot event.
    PJ_Soul said:

People are getting it- the employee is the obvious idiot in this multiple idiot event.
    Not really. The mother has been absolutely eviscerated on social media over this. Far, far, far more so than Southwest Airlines has been, or the employee.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Not really. The mother has been absolutely eviscerated on social media over this. Far, far, far more so than Southwest Airlines has been, or the employee.
    The employee made a stupid mistake, the mother made an idiotic decision that will last a lifetime. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    Scott Free's parents are another category of idiot.  While Abcde is just awful under any and all circumstances, Scott is a fine name.  But when your last name is "Free" you have to think through the impact of a first name.  You may not want to go with "Carrie" because it sounds too much like "Care Free."  And you absolutely do not go with "Scott Free."  That guy's been paying for that decision his whole life and he deserves a break, Mr. President.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited December 2018
    I'm not saying this guys is an idiot, but it may not be a stretch saying what he did was not too swift!

A local food writer was rushed to UAMS hospital last night after consuming 413 Cheddar Bay Biscuits from Red Lobster. Doctors confirm that he slipped into a coma shortly after being admitted into the emergency room.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    brianlux said:
    I'm not saying this guys is an idiot, but it may not be a stretch saying what he did was not too swift!

A local food writer was rushed to UAMS hospital last night after consuming 413 Cheddar Bay Biscuits from Red Lobster. Doctors confirm that he slipped into a coma shortly after being admitted into the emergency room.

WTF??? He overdosed on cheddar biscuits....wow.