Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    goldrush said:
    This is so good, I want to get this show on dvd (Live Rust)...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3tsERm5MqQ
    Think bigger. High def.

It was shot on film wasn't it? Would make a lovely Bluray.
    It is only available on DVD...
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/music/Whats-Hot/warner/neil-young-crazy-horse-rust-never-sleeps-reissue/958640/
    Restored so must be better quality
    Rust Never Sleeps was released on Blu Ray. I bought it from Neil’s webstore along with Earth and the Human Highway Blu Ray.

@Thoughts_Arrive Red Eye Records in Sydney has a copy available for $39.98. Shipping to Melbourne shouldn’t be too much, it’s well worth it!
    Awesome! Thank you!
    Dear Santa....
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
  • pjpitt89 said:
    If anyone has a vinyl copy of Sugar Mountain Live at Canterbury House or Dreamin Man, please let me know. I'd be looking to buy.
    I hate my brother for buying Dreamin' Man on some "cheap" sale and I didn't want one because I don't like live albums that are cut up and compilation-like. 

SHould have bought one.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,129
    edited November 2018
    Any news of other Euro dates? I'm guessing he's not coming over just for Hyde Park 
    Post edited by BlueLedbetter on
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    edited November 2018
    goldrush said:
    Think bigger. High def.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/music/Whats-Hot/warner/neil-young-crazy-horse-rust-never-sleeps-reissue/958640/
    Rust Never Sleeps was released on Blu Ray. I bought it from Neil’s webstore along with Earth and the Human Highway Blu Ray.

@Thoughts_Arrive Red Eye Records in Sydney has a copy available for $39.98. Shipping to Melbourne shouldn’t be too much, it’s well worth it!
    How was the image quality?
    It’s a lot better than the worn out VHS copy I’ve got around here somewhere! It’s a bit grainy, but it’s hard to tell if that’s because it’s a 40 year old film or because Neil just intended it that way 

Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:
    goldrush said:
    Think bigger. High def.

How was the image quality?
    It’s a lot better than the worn out VHS copy I’ve got around here somewhere! It’s a bit grainy, but it’s hard to tell if that’s because it’s a 40 year old film or because Neil just intended it that way 

Haven't seen it years. But I guess it's 16mm so it should be grainy. 

Would love PJ to shoot a concert on 16 (or 35) instead of the HD video.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Whats the word on NYA archives going mobile?

Goldrush, by the way, you're the man
    @goldrush Red eye records has Zuma on cd. Not sure if remastered. I purchased it on iTunes last week. Would love the cd only if remastered. Would you happen to know?

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    My cover terrible?
    I only saw that you posted it now... the vocals aren't terrible. As you said, you're rusty with the guitar and vocals. It does show that you're rusty, yeah. But it sounds like if you warm up and practice it could be really quite good - I'd be interested to hear it after that! Where you REALLY need the work is with the whistling. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    My cover terrible?
    I only saw that you posted it now... the vocals aren't terrible. As you said, you're rusty with the guitar and vocals. It does show that you're rusty, yeah. But it sounds like if you warm up and practice it could be really quite good - I'd be interested to hear it after that! Where you REALLY need the work is with the whistling. ;)
    Thank you! Appreciated.
    Or I could learn harp.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    @goldrush Red eye records has Zuma on cd. Not sure if remastered. I purchased it on iTunes last week. Would love the cd only if remastered. Would you happen to know?

It doesn't look like it. They will normally include 'remastered' and the year of release in the description (e.g. Harvest is listed as "Harvest: 2009 Remaster). There are no details on the Zuma listing

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:

It doesn't look like it. They will normally include 'remastered' and the year of release in the description (e.g. Harvest is listed as "Harvest: 2009 Remaster). There are no details on the Zuma listing
    Yeah, what I thought. My iTunes version sounds nicer than the version I downloaded elsewhere.
    If it ever is remastered on CD I shall get it.
    goldrush said:

Yeah, what I thought. My iTunes version sounds nicer than the version I downloaded elsewhere.
    It was remastered as part of the 'Original Release Series Discs 5-8' box set last year (with Time Fades Away, On The Beach, and Tonight's The Night). I'm not sure if they were released individually though. I bought the box so never really paid attention to whether the individuals were out there.

(Tim Rogers)
    PJ_Soul said:
    My cover terrible?
    Thank you! Appreciated.
    Or I could learn harp.
    If Lukas can whistle the harmonica parts, then so can you! :lol:

https://youtu.be/tHP9Azdol4s

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

It was remastered as part of the 'Original Release Series Discs 5-8' box set last year (with Time Fades Away, On The Beach, and Tonight's The Night). I'm not sure if they were released individually though. I bought the box so never really paid attention to whether the individuals were out there.
    I think I've seen that box set.
    You're an Aussie yeah?
    goldrush said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    My cover terrible?
    Thank you! Appreciated.
    Or I could learn harp.

Well, he sings a hell of a lot better than me.
    My whistling ain't that bad I don't think haha
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

You're an Aussie yeah?
    I am now, yeah! I’m from Wales originally but I’m an Aus citizen now

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

You're an Aussie yeah?
    Cool, welcome to Aus. Which city you in?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited November 2018
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

Found Times Fades Away here in Sweden by titself. New release. 

Have the "original" though so didn't buy it. Even though it was kind of cheap for being NY vinyl ~ $17-18
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

You're an Aussie yeah?
    I’m in Sydney (hence the love for Red Eye!)

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

You're an Aussie yeah?
    What's Red Eye? Other than the late night flight from Perth to the east coast...
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

You're an Aussie yeah?
    What's Red Eye? Other than the late night flight from Perth to the east coast...
    Ha ha! Red Eye Records. They’ve taken way too much of my money over the years (a lot of it for Neil vinyl)

(Tim Rogers)
    Ahh lol.
    I'm waiting for Boxing Day so I can buy the Rust Never Sleeps restored DVD.
    I'd like it in blu-ray but $40 from Red Eye is too expensive when I can get it for around $22 with a 20% discount at JB.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Ahh lol.
    I'd like it in blu-ray but $40 from Red Eye is too expensive when I can get it for around $22 with a 20% discount at JB.
    I need to do the same.  I have the VHS but my video tape player isn't in such great shape anymore and I can't get it to play through the stereo like I used to.

I'm also waiting for Weld to come on on DVD.  I found a pirated DVD but a) Neil would not approve and b) the pirated DVD quality is awful!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    Ahh lol.
    I need to do the same.  I have the VHS but my video tape player isn't in such great shape anymore and I can't get it to play through the stereo like I used to.

I'm also waiting for Weld to come on on DVD.  I found a pirated DVD but a) Neil would not approve and b) the pirated DVD quality is awful!
    Hell yes for Weld! I played my VHS to death, it's so good!

(Tim Rogers)
  • Neil/Bob double bill rumored for Kilkenny,Ireland on July 14th ...Hope its true !
    1996:Cork 2000:Dublin 2006:Dublin,Barcelona,Madrid 2007:London,Dusseldorf,Nijmegen
    2009:Manchester,London 2010:Dublin,Belfast,London,Berlin 2012: Manchester 1 +2,Stockholm,copenhagen 2013: New York ,Philadelphia
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 2018: London 1, Lisbon 2022: London 1+ 2, Krakow 2023: Austin 1 + 2
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    goldrush said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    My cover terrible?
    Thank you! Appreciated.
    Or I could learn harp.

Um, yeah, it's pretty bad. :lol: It's WAY off key. But all it takes is practice! You can do it! :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    My cover terrible?
    Thank you! Appreciated.
    Or I could learn harp.

Um, yeah, it's pretty bad. :lol: It's WAY off key. But all it takes is practice! You can do it! :)
    lol
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    My cover terrible?
    Thank you! Appreciated.
    Or I could learn harp.

lol
    Don't feel bad- my cat hates it when I whistle!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.