Goose Island BCBS and it's Variants

tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
edited November 2018 in All Encompassing Trip
Hello all.

The other thread was around for three years before finally getting shut down.

So this is all about BCBS and the delicious variants that they spawn.

Please feel free to discuss the beer here.

Here is a link to the previous thread that got shut down.
https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/261998/2017-iso-goose-island-beer#latest

Below is a pic of me with a keg of 2018 BCBS which I won in a raffle at Croxleys in Farmingdale, NY.

Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Good call with the new thread.....here's my take from this year.  Minus 1 regular that I drank already.  I keep looking for more of the variants but most places don't have them and just end up buying more of the regular.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    edited November 2018
    Good call with the new thread.....here's my take from this year.  Minus 1 regular that I drank already.  I keep looking for more of the variants but most places don't have them and just end up buying more of the regular.

[Personal attack removed by Admin. See the Posting Guidelines]

You got the Prop!!!  Congrats!!!

I heard a rumor that this years was not that good.  Can anyone confirm that?
    Post edited by Sea on
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^ I haven’t cracked my Prop yet but I’ve heard it’s good. Very chocolatey. I’d like to hear other’s perspectives as well. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I don’t have any clue about this beer, someone please explain. Why is it so coveted?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:
    I don’t have any clue about this beer, someone please explain. Why is it so coveted?
    You like stouts?
    mcgruff10 said:
    You like stouts?
    Yes sir
    bbiggs said:
    ^ I haven’t cracked my Prop yet but I’ve heard it’s good. Very chocolatey. I’d like to hear other’s perspectives as well. 
    Haven't had it yet either but have also heard that it is very chocolately...like a dessert beer.
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    You like stouts?
    Yes sir
    OK, these are a little more POW.  It has a bourbon finish with different undertones.  It's like drinking wine.

I let mine warm up a bit.  About 50 degrees or so and then it really opens up.

If you can't find a bottle by you I'll send you one.
    ^ I agree Chris. Take a sip when it’s cold. Take another when it starts to warm and the flavor intensifies/ changes in my opinion. Such good stuff. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    You like stouts?
    Yes sir
    OK, these are a little more POW.  It has a bourbon finish with different undertones.  It's like drinking wine.

I let mine warm up a bit.  About 50 degrees or so and then it really opens up.

If you can't find a bottle by you I'll send you one.
    I ve never had anything like that.  Interesting. 
    Some of the variants are truly amazing. Others are sought after just because they’re variants...kind of like posters. 
    bbiggs said:
    Some of the variants are truly amazing. Others are sought after just because they’re variants...kind of like posters. 
    How much are they a bottle?
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Average is $12-$14 for regular. $16-$26 for variants, depending on which variant. That’s retail. Secondary pricing (I would never pay) is a whole separate topic, especially for certain variants. It’s crazy. 
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Average is $12-$14 for regular. $16-$26 for variants, depending on which variant. That’s retail. Secondary pricing (I would never pay) is a whole separate topic, especially for certain variants. It’s crazy. 
    Wow that s crazy expensive!  I hope it is worth it. I would hate to try something like that and have it disagree with my taste buds. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Wow that s crazy expensive!  I hope it is worth it. I would hate to try something like that and have it disagree with my taste buds. 
    Yeah man. There are a couple wild cards that could end up being duds to some. That would be an expensive dud. Lol. I think a lot of these craft beers have become overpriced in general. Maybe I’ll go back to drinking Miller Lite only soon. 
    @tempo_n_groove thank you kindly for the offer!!  
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    Managed to pick up 6 regular ones today, somehow a local spot still had 2 cases left.

Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Yeah man. There are a couple wild cards that could end up being duds to some. That would be an expensive dud. Lol. I think a lot of these craft beers have become overpriced in general. Maybe I’ll go back to drinking Miller Lite only soon. 
    No you won't, lol.  Stop it.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    beer is good.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    No you won't, lol.  Stop it.
    You’re right, sir! I wish I could go back to Miller Lite though...or my wallet does at least. :lol:
    “personal attack” :lol:

stop it, you ruffians!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • This thread keeps getting trolled so watch your comments everyone. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:

Yeah it's pretty wild but it is some really good stuff.  Goose Island was the first brewery back in the day to start aging stouts in bourbon barrels....it has become a real craze in the craft beer scene lately the past few years.  But I still think Goose is the best.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    I've only had the regular (never close/lucky enough to get a variant), but I really enjoy it.  And I'm not usually a stout drinker. A buddy of mine tried it though and he said it "tastes like the oil from a '67 Buick."  He's a mixed drink drinker though, not a beer guy.  But he likes scotch & bourbon so I figured maybe it was a beer he'd enjoy. Nope.  But if you like beer, and if you like bourbon, and if you like beer aged in bourbon barrels, I think you'll find it money well spent.  It's one of a few good things InBev hasn't bastardized from Goose Island.
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    I've only had the regular (never close/lucky enough to get a variant), but I really enjoy it.  And I'm not usually a stout drinker. A buddy of mine tried it though and he said it "tastes like the oil from a '67 Buick."  He's a mixed drink drinker though, not a beer guy.  But he likes scotch & bourbon so I figured maybe it was a beer he'd enjoy. Nope.  But if you like beer, and if you like bourbon, and if you like beer aged in bourbon barrels, I think you'll find it money well spent.  It's one of a few good things InBev hasn't bastardized from Goose Island.

Yep.  The only good thing to come out of Goose selling to AB is how much they've been able to expand the barrel aging program.  It seems to be getting easier every year to find the variants and plenty of the originals.  
  • Anybody ever try the Sam Adams  Utopia?  I have one but haven't tried it yet.

It costs $200 a bottle and is 27% proof I think?
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Anybody ever try the Sam Adams  Utopia?  I have one but haven't tried it yet.

It costs $200 a bottle and is 27% proof I think?
    That’s a pricey beer!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Never had the Utopia.  I tried to get one a few years back when retail was about $120 but the only store in the area that had it had 2 of them and both sold before I could get there.
    Look at this amazing concoction. Read the description of what it is. Wow!

This thread keeps getting trolled so watch your comments everyone. 

I was surprised to see TnG has a hipster beard.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16