Comments

• rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    PJNB said:
    rummy said:
    PJNB said:

Ten - none
    VS - none
    Vitalogy - Bugs plus all of that experimental crap that no one listens to
    No Code - Mankind. Just not a good song and I enjoy Don't Gimme No Lip a lot so its not because it is Stone.
    Yield - none
    Binaural - Evacuation. Parts of this song are just ok while others are unlistenable. 
    Riot Act - Cropduster. Just not a good song imo and a set killer at the shows I have seen with it there.
    Avocado -  Big Wave. One of the worse chorus's they have "Got me a big wave, ride me a big wave, got me a big wave"
    Backspacer - The album with the most duds imo. Gonna See My Friend, The Fixer, Johnny Guitar, Just Breathe, Supersonic,The End
    Lightning Bolt - My Fathers Son, Let the Records Play, Sleeping By Myself, Future Days are all duds. 

Only picking 15 songs over 10 albums is a pretty good track record if you ask me. The last two albums I picked over half on one and almost half on the other. I am really hoping the next album is more solid. 
    Pretty darn close! 
    Don't forget about I'm Open. I'm not much of a fan of Pilate and still struggle with PMPM. I'd like to soon forget the song Soon..(sorry, I won't finish the bad pun)...Unemployable never did it for me. Did you forget to include Sirens
    Totally forgot Sirens somehow. Unemployable is not good but not terrible either imo. I like I'm Open live. It is a pretty cool intro to other songs like MFC. Pilate is an odd song because parts of it are great and other parts are awful. Soon Forget is a song that has not aged well imo and I probably could have listed it as well. Plus about a quarter of Lost Dogs could make this list easy as well. 
    I agree that I'm Open is solid live - it's just not really the same (bad) song without that spoken intro.
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:

Ten - none
    VS - none
    Vitalogy - Bugs plus all of that experimental crap that no one listens to
    No Code - Mankind. Just not a good song and I enjoy Don't Gimme No Lip a lot so its not because it is Stone.
    Yield - none
    Binaural - Evacuation. Parts of this song are just ok while others are unlistenable. 
    Riot Act - Cropduster. Just not a good song imo and a set killer at the shows I have seen with it there.
    Avocado -  Big Wave. One of the worse chorus's they have "Got me a big wave, ride me a big wave, got me a big wave"
    Backspacer - The album with the most duds imo. Gonna See My Friend, The Fixer, Johnny Guitar, Just Breathe, Supersonic,The End
    Lightning Bolt - My Fathers Son, Let the Records Play, Sleeping By Myself, Future Days are all duds. 

Only picking 15 songs over 10 albums is a pretty good track record if you ask me. The last two albums I picked over half on one and almost half on the other. I am really hoping the next album is more solid. 
    I'll play:
    Ten-none
    vs- none
    vitalogy- stupid mop (bugs was actually good live!!)
    no code- mankind
    yield- I guess pilate
    Binaural- evacuation, sleight of hand
    riot act- crop-duster, ghost, you are
    self-titled- comatose, parachutes, unemployable
    backpacer- surprisingly none
    lb- my father's son, infallible, future days
    honorable mention: in the moonlight

I'd take In The Moonlight over Hitchhiker.
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited November 2018
    I either threw in my two cents on another thread about this or pondered this heavily in the past but here are the only PJ original songs I will consistently skip:
    Sweet Lew, Dirty Frank, Sleeping By Myself, Johnny Guitar (although if I can just hang in until the 2 min. mark or so it gets better), and Infallible. 
    Gremmie Out of Control .....  yikes that’s bad.

Side Note: I like the studio version of My Father’s Son but it does not sound great live which probably explains why they have shelved it. 

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    these lists remind me that even the best musicians and songwriters are not Infallible.
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,765
    My bottom 5

education 
    speed of sound 
    Sweet Lew
    you are 
    Unemployable    

Keep in mind i’ve Never heard any of these songs live.  That’s why “evacuation”isn’t on here. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
    something about Lightning Bolt, the song, really bothers me.  not their worst song, but probably the worst on the album.
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    vaggar99 said:
    something about Lightning Bolt, the song, really bothers me.  not their worst song, but probably the worst on the album.
    Man, I always thought it was one of the better aongs on thay album and the best of that bunch live
  • fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    Ole and it's not close...
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • vaggar99 said:
    It’s a very Ed By Numbers song that every album has had since Riot Act- palm muted intro to a faux anthem with bad lyrics. 
    vaggar99 said:
    It’s a very Ed By Numbers song that every album has had since Riot Act- palm muted intro to a faux anthem with bad lyrics. 
    yeah, that pretty much says it.
  • vaggar99 said:
    vaggar99 said:
    yeah, that pretty much says it.
    Perfectly  accurate.  
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • vaggar99 said:
    Yeah, Lightning Bolts Unthought Known.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Rock Around Barack
    Is this the only song they actively tried to bury?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited November 2018
    oh this one? never heard it till now.  Stone must have gotten smashed on election night and recorded this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6QElmY0lp8
    Post edited by vaggar99 on
  • wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    Leatherman

NYPJ
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited November 2018
    vaggar99 said:
    Completely agree.  Once I heard it once I felt like I had heard it 1000 times. 

They stopped trying a long time ago.  Blamed it on having families which is complete b.s.  Everyone just shuts down their career when they have kids?  Right.... 
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    vaggar99 said:
    Completely agree.  Once I heard it once I felt like I had heard it 1000 times. 

They stopped trying a long time ago.  Blamed it on having families which is complete b.s.  Everyone just shuts down their career when they have kids?  Right.... 
    i've felt the same way since probably a couple years after Backspacer.  My feeling is that making albums has gotten to be a real pain in the ass for the guys.  If that's true, that's unfortunate for everyone.
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    vaggar99 said:
    oh this one? never heard it till now.  Stone must have gotten smashed on election night and recorded this.
    Still better than Ole
  • pljampljam Posts: 387
    Black red yellow  
    Sweet law
    Mankind

Can not listen to at all
  • pljampljam Posts: 387
    Sweet Lew (f/n spell check )
    edited November 2018
    Post edited by vaggar99 on
  • : Speed of Sound, last 4 tracks or so of LB (anything after infallible) and Dissident was never a favorite of mine. Riff bores me to tears.

I did like Speed of Sound at an Ed solo show though.  Studio version just sounds off.  And I think Brendan OBrein lost his touch a while ago.  So many recent album songs really cook live where the studio version feels a bit inert.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    vaggar99 said:

stone was doing a few out of the box things around 2008-09 for some reason.  there were covers of prince's 1999 and motorhead's ace of spades, and a few mostly acoustic things, a couple of which that ended up on moonlander.

i always liked this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFL4AE6Eo0E
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited November 2018
    AndySlash said:
    vaggar99 said:

stone was doing a few out of the box things around 2008-09 for some reason.  there were covers of prince's 1999 and motorhead's ace of spades, and a few mostly acoustic things, a couple of which that ended up on moonlander.

i always liked this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFL4AE6Eo0E
    Peaerl Jam needs songs like this.

Have Stone produce and take reign of the next album, instead of sending around mp3s to eachother and being forced to pick 12 of them to get an album done.
  • For years it was Just Breathe for me. I went for a cigarette when they played it in Dublin last time. The sentimentality used to just kill me with it. Nothingman was another one that I couldn't bear to listen to, but I'm not sure if it was the worst or just that it made me too emotional to listen.
    My thoughts exactly. Never a fan of either song, but I know they are both well loved by many people.
    Just Breathe is better solo or by Willie Nelson.
    Nothingman always felt unfinished. It feels like it takes forever to build and then goes nowhere.

• Lightning Bolt
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    vaggar99 said:
    Better than Fixer..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,786
    edited November 2018
    Let the Records Play
    Johnny Guitar
    Speed of Sound
    Ole
    Amongst the Waves
    Post edited by pledgeagrievance on
  • radarradar Posts: 767
    Ole Ole