Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• cropdustdaircropdustdair Lakewood, CO / Earth Posts: 2,006
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think they should fire Boom (nicely... with a big cash bonus as thanks).
    You're
     nicer than me. I'd send him out with only the clothes on his back. Never thought he added anything, accept terrible organ playing to what should be, after all...a Pearl Jam show.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Unless its for a benefit, please don't do any tours unless introducing new music. 
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    fife said:
    Unless its for a benefit, please don't do any tours unless introducing new music. 
    So basically retire? I mean they don’t really put out new music at any pace.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I hate the elf on the shelf. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    mcgruff10 said:
    My kids have not asked about this yet thank god! 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    My kids have not asked about this yet thank god! 
    Resist at all costs!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • KN219077 said:
    fife said:
    Not being able to tour without new music would force them to release more music.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Never understood the thinking behind "if you don't have a new album, you shouldn't tour." It reduces touring to just marketing for an album, and Pearl Jam shows have become so much more than that over the years.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • PJ_Soul said:
    You're
     nicer than me. I'd send him out with only the clothes on his back. Never thought he added anything, accept terrible organ playing to what should be, after all...a Pearl Jam show.
    Pearl Jam without Boom was 11 years. Pearl Jam with Boom is about to enter the 17th year. I don’t think it’s up to us at all to determine what does and what doesn’t entail a Pearl Jam show since, you know, we aren’t in the band. With an overwhelming 6 years more in favor of him being a part of the live show, I think it’s safe to say he’s more a part of the live lineup than Dave A, Jack, or Dave K were COMBINED. 
    I can take Boom or leave him, it didn’t matter to me, but the pre conceived notion that an organ has no place in the band’s (key word) live set up is just silly. 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Terrifying Ronald McDonald float. Flanked by more auto tuned out talent than you’d ever want in one sitting, let alone a lifetime. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    PJ_Soul said:
    You're
    Pearl Jam without Boom was 11 years. Pearl Jam with Boom is about to enter the 17th year. I don’t think it’s up to us at all to determine what does and what doesn’t entail a Pearl Jam show since, you know, we aren’t in the band. With an overwhelming 6 years more in favor of him being a part of the live show, I think it’s safe to say he’s more a part of the live lineup than Dave A, Jack, or Dave K were COMBINED. 
    I can take Boom or leave him, it didn’t matter to me, but the pre conceived notion that an organ has no place in the band’s (key word) live set up is just silly. 
    They're called opinions for a reason. Can I call yours silly now too?
    Obviously we have no power over whether or not the band fires Boom, lol. But for me, how long Boom has been around is 100% irrelevant.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    You're
    Obviously we have no power over whether or not the band fires Boom, lol. But for me, how long Boom has been around is 100% irrelevant.
    Of course you can. I’m just saying that if we’re looking at numbers, saying a Pearl Jam show doesn’t include Boom is crazy. 17 years vs. 11 years. That’s my point. People still have this wild idea that it’s still 5 guys in a band in their late 20’s jumping around. It hasn’t been that way in far longer than it was that way in total. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    mcgruff10 said:
    Thank God my 15 year old has taken over moving it every night for my other 3 kids.  Too many times I had to jump out of bed after realizing we forgot to move it before going to sleep. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    You're
    Of course you can. I’m just saying that if we’re looking at numbers, saying a Pearl Jam show doesn’t include Boom is crazy. 17 years vs. 11 years. That’s my point. People still have this wild idea that it’s still 5 guys in a band in their late 20’s jumping around. It hasn’t been that way in far longer than it was that way in total. 
    I never said a PJ show doesn't include Boom. I said I wish it didn't, lol. All your 17 year point is doing for me is highlighting that it's been way too long. ;) I have no thought about the guys being in their 20s jumping around. That has no bearing on my opinion on this at all... I think your head is taking my opinion to places it doesn't belong, haha.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • I wasn’t even replying to you, Soul, with my initial reply. 
    JimmyV said:
    Never understood the thinking behind "if you don't have a new album, you shouldn't tour." It reduces touring to just marketing for an album, and Pearl Jam shows have become so much more than that over the years.
    I think for me (get ready to attack)  I love a pearl Jam concert but I love new music more.  I don't want Pearl jam to become like (again ready to get attack) the Rolling stones.  also, touring is marketing, maybe not just for a record but for a band.
    KN219077 said:
    fife said:
    or release new music is an options
  • fife said:
    JimmyV said:
    I think for me (get ready to attack)  I love a pearl Jam concert but I love new music more.  I don't want Pearl jam to become like (again ready to get attack) the Rolling stones.  also, touring is marketing, maybe not just for a record but for a band.
    I’m with you. New music >  live shows. 
    I wasn’t even replying to you, Soul, with my initial reply. 
    Oh yeah, lol.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    2016 NA and 2018 Europe tour > 2013 NA and 2014 Europe/USA tour. The freedom of no album to play allows the sets to be much better imo. Also in the last 10 years they have only come up with two albums. The first was mediocre and the second was better but still had a lot of misses imo. If Can't Deny Me is any indication we are going in the same direction for the next album. I hope I am wrong. 
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    fife said:
    Amen
    fife said:
    JimmyV said:
    New music is always good.  This band used to be all about putting out records.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    edited November 2018
    KN219077 said:
    fife said:
    Not being able to tour without new music would force them to release more music.
    Not a good business decision. There is no money in recording. There is alot of money on touring 

KN219077 said:
    fife said:
    Not a good business decision. There is no money in recording. There is alot of money on touring 

yes, that's become very obvious.
  • LostDog_72LostDog_72 London Posts: 74
    KN219077 said:
    fife said:

Really?  Venue hire, marketing/advertising, security costs, travel costs, stage hands, riggers, insurance, catering...and on and on....that's a hell of a lot of tickets that need to be sold before a band covers those costs, let alone breaks even
  • KN219077 said:
    fife said:

Really?  Venue hire, marketing/advertising, security costs, travel costs, stage hands, riggers, insurance, catering...and on and on....that's a hell of a lot of tickets that need to be sold before a band covers those costs, let alone breaks even
    Which just shows how hard it is to make off of albums. You made good points and it’s stiol BY FAR the better way to make money. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    vaggar99 said:
    fife said:
    Amen

What, their 16 average shows per year got your head spinning?
    vaggar99 said:
    fife said:
    Amen

hahah...yes, especially considering i now live in Houston TX which they will NEVER come to again.  Sorry, don't say anything about Austin.  i'm not going there.  Besides, I thought these guys fancied themselves as artists.
  • vaggar99 said:
    vaggar99 said:
    fife said:
    Amen

hahah...yes, especially considering i now live in Houston TX which they will NEVER come to again.  Sorry, don't say anything about Austin.  i'm not going there.  Besides, I thought these guys fancied themselves as artists.
    Artists are not allowed to play live?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    vaggar99 said:
    vaggar99 said:
    fife said:
    Amen

Artists are not allowed to play live?
     there was a time that this band seemed to care more about writing songs and putting them out then live shows.  in the early days live shows were extremely hard to come by, right?  For me, I had no money, no transportation.  You also had the problem of major ticket shortages and of course, the Ticketmaster beef.   So, I had to wait till the latter end of the 90's to see the band live.  By that time, I was hard core sold on the band's artistry.  Live shows were just icing on the cake.