Ridiculous products

njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
Every now and then there are products advertised that seem ridiculous to me. It varies for everyone, but I'm sure there are products that everyone has looked at and just shook their head.

The bottle opener that is a needle so that you don't uncork the bottle and it can last 'for years'. Can you imagine going to someone's home and watching wine pour through a needle hole? How cheap can a person be?  Does the person really wait for the wine to dribble through the needle hole thing and then does the cork actually reseal and they put it away for months? It seems like a ridiculous idea. 

Anyone else?

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    njnancy said:
    Every now and then there are products advertised that seem ridiculous to me. It varies for everyone, but I'm sure there are products that everyone has looked at and just shook their head.

The bottle opener that is a needle so that you don't uncork the bottle and it can last 'for years'. Can you imagine going to someone's home and watching wine pour through a needle hole? How cheap can a person be?  Does the person really wait for the wine to dribble through the needle hole thing and then does the cork actually reseal and they put it away for months? It seems like a ridiculous idea. 

Anyone else?
    Actually, it isn’t ridiculous if you have the right sort of wine for it (assuming we’re talking about the same thing, the Coravin). Its purpose is to allow you to try expensive bottles of wine over time as they age. The “needle” extracts wine, not in a dribble, and puts down a layer of inert, heavier than air gas to prevent oxidation. It’s kind of cool, actually. Only worth it if you’re the type to collect bottles that cellar for years to decades. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    * Selfie Sticks
    * $500 toaster ovens
    * Cat walking leash
    * Standup desks
    * Smart watches that require a giant smart phone in your pocket to work
    * $500 coolers

• njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    njnancy said:

Anyone else?
    Actually, it isn’t ridiculous if you have the right sort of wine for it (assuming we’re talking about the same thing, the Coravin). Its purpose is to allow you to try expensive bottles of wine over time as they age. The “needle” extracts wine, not in a dribble, and puts down a layer of inert, heavier than air gas to prevent oxidation. It’s kind of cool, actually. Only worth it if you’re the type to collect bottles that cellar for years to decades. 
    Yes the Coravin. AHHHH!!!   The TV channels I watch seem to be targeting the same people because I see it more often than I'd like. Your explanation sounds more high end and perhaps if it were portrayed differently. But it just makes me nuts. 

Thanks for the explanation - at least it doesn't sound so creepy. But the woman they have advertising it just...ACK!!!
    Jason P said:
    * Selfie Sticks
    * $500 toaster ovens
    * Cat walking leash
    * Standup desks
    * $500 coolers

Do any companies actually have these and require people to stand at their desk all day long?
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

Anyone else?
    Yes the Coravin. AHHHH!!!   The TV channels I watch seem to be targeting the same people because I see it more often than I'd like. Your explanation sounds more high end and perhaps if it were portrayed differently. But it just makes me nuts. 

Thanks for the explanation - at least it doesn't sound so creepy. But the woman they have advertising it just...ACK!!!
    I’ve never seen a commercial so I have no idea what they look like. The idea is solid, though.  
    njnancy said:
    Jason P said:
    * Selfie Sticks
    * $500 toaster ovens
    * Cat walking leash
    * Standup desks
    * $500 coolers

Do any companies actually have these and require people to stand at their desk all day long?
    I don’t know anyone who is required to use one. I know plenty of people who asked for them, and who like them.  

They are adjustable, though; you can raise or lower them. 
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Google mini

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    njnancy said:
    Jason P said:
    * Selfie Sticks
    * $500 toaster ovens
    * Cat walking leash
    * Standup desks
    * $500 coolers

I don’t know anyone who is required to use one. I know plenty of people who asked for them, and who like them.  

So people actually have them installed in offices? Interesting. I haven't worked in an office in awhile so I'm a bit behind on stuff. 

I remember when they had (maybe still do) the leash for your kid. I know that there were times that it would have come in handy with my hyperactive son but I couldn't imagine putting him on a leash like a pet. 

I have never seen someone walking a cat - that would be a hoot. I have seen leashes on rabbits, which is absurd. 

I also do not think that dogs should wear clothing, except for Halloween.
    Google mini

Please tell me more. :how_interesting:
    High heals for women.  Insane product.  Seems like something a medieval king would sentence you to wear for stealing his pudding. 
    Jason P said:
    High heals for women.  Insane product.  Seems like something a medieval king would sentence you to wear for stealing his pudding. 
    They actually cause damage to women's feet. TY. 
    njnancy said:
    Jason P said:
    Of course they do.  If I was designing a comfortable shoe, they would be the exact opposite of my final goal.  They look uncomfortable even if you remove the stilt from the back.  If I was a feminist, I would make it a priority to round up the troops and go after getting rid of these.  It's low hanging fruit. 
    Jason P said:
    njnancy said:
    Jason P said:
    Of course they do.  If I was designing a comfortable shoe, they would be the exact opposite of my final goal.  They look uncomfortable even if you remove the stilt from the back.  If I was a feminist, I would make it a priority to round up the troops and go after getting rid of these.  It's low hanging fruit. 
    I have never mastered the ability to walk in heels. They say that if you have really expensive ones they are easy to walk in, but why do you see so many women walking to work in their sneakers then?

Now wedges are not bad, you get the 'fancy' look and a nice look to your legs without the pain. Platform shoes, they are a different story and should remain in the wayback machine. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    njnancy said:
    Jason P said:
    * Selfie Sticks
    * $500 toaster ovens
    * Cat walking leash
    * Standup desks
    * $500 coolers

In the last few years we've probably added around 100 sit/stand desks for ergonomics and people love them. They've actually gotten to be pretty reasonably priced too. The health benefits of it are great so staff aren't compressing their spine sitting for hours. We have a mix of the full desk that raises with a switch and the manual ones you lift up that sit on top of your desk with your computer on it.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    njnancy said:
    Jason P said:
    * Selfie Sticks
    * $500 toaster ovens
    * Cat walking leash
    * Standup desks
    * $500 coolers

In the last few years we've probably added around 100 sit/stand desks for ergonomics and people love them. They've actually gotten to be pretty reasonably priced too. The health benefits of it are great so staff aren't compressing their spine sitting for hours. We have a mix of the full desk that raises with a switch and the manual ones you lift up that sit on top of your desk with your computer on it.
    Interesting. Do people raise them and lower them multiple times throughout the day or do they basically stand most of the time. (I feel ancient having been out of NYC office work for so long).
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

Anyone else?

I’ve never seen a commercial so I have no idea what they look like. The idea is solid, though.  
    I'll see if I can find something for you to see.
    ScottEVests - the idea sounds really good, but can you seriously pull off a shirt with that much stuff inside of it without looking like you have bulges all over you? Maybe with an actual vest, but they show a shirt which appears to be flawless.
    njnancy said:
    Google mini

Please tell me more. :how_interesting:
    It's stupid. Why not just pick up your phone or other device to check the weather or news or whatever you want to know.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Jason P said:
    * Selfie Sticks
    * $500 toaster ovens
    * Cat walking leash
    * Standup desks
    * $500 coolers

Yes and add the stupid doggie  pushchair things like a trailer for a dog
     For goodness sake they have 4 legs....4
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Jason P said:
    * Selfie Sticks
    * $500 toaster ovens
    * Cat walking leash
    * Standup desks
    * $500 coolers

I am guilty of all 3 and I will tell you they all make an absolute difference.
    10 club membership.

joking!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Circular robotic vacuum cleaners.
    We visited friend today who have one of these.  They said it is constantly getting hung up on something and then starts beeping.  Annoying and ultimately a sign of laziness. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    Circular robotic vacuum cleaners.
    We visited friend today who have one of these.  They said it is constantly getting hung up on something and then starts beeping.  Annoying and ultimately a sign of laziness. 

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    njnancy said:
    Jason P said:
    njnancy said:
    Jason P said:
    I have never mastered the ability to walk in heels. They say that if you have really expensive ones they are easy to walk in, but why do you see so many women walking to work in their sneakers then?

Now wedges are not bad, you get the 'fancy' look and a nice look to your legs without the pain. Platform shoes, they are a different story and should remain in the wayback machine. 
    I went to a fancy charity event this weekend and I could not believe how many wealthy-ish women were crammed into dresses that were trying way too hard and toddling around like a drunk giraffe in their hooker heels.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Bagged lettuce and bagged shredded cheese.
    Take 5 fucking minutes for greens that won't give you good poisoning and cheese that is worth eating.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    "Adult Male Onesies"

Really? 

Smart phones
    We are all dumber for them being here...and look at what it is doing to many who know no different world.
    (I am as guilty as most for looking at Sports news 100 times a day, for checking the 10c forum 100 times a day, and for texting vs. calling my friends.  We cannot unwind technology but the negatives far outweigh the positives at this point, imo, and as such I find them to be ridiculous.)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • rgambs said:
    Take 5 fucking minutes for greens that won't give you good poisoning and cheese that is worth eating.
    Shredded cheese rules so hush.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    You can get great cheese, shredded.  (Cabot / Seriously Sharp!)  
    Does it cost extra for something that would only take a minute and typically produce a better result?  Yes.  Yes, it does.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • rgambs said:
    What about sliced cheese?

Do it like us swedes:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Jason P said:
    * Standup desks
    What's the problem?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"