Did you vote, yet?

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    mrussel1 said:
    g under p said:
    Even though I mailed in my vote and I've not been in any lines to see voters placing their votes. I can tell you the the turnout here in
    S FL is up considerably. I think the up tick is with the young voters which always a good sign.

Peace
    I think that the high voter turnout is due in large part to Trump. Nearly 10 million more people voted in the 2016 general election than did in 2012. That has to be attributed to Trump. And I think the same may be true in this mid-term. 
    Yes, but possibly not for the reason he would prefer.   
    I understand your logic here: Trump is so horrible that people are coming out to vote against him. But if you separated everyone into two groups: "people that always vote" and "people that are voting because of Trump"...and then you took that "people that are voting because of Trump" group and see if there's more for him or against him, I'd wager a guess there'd be more for him. But that's just a guess. 
    Not this time around...
    I hope you're right but we'll see....
    Even in the scenario you presented, about 3 million people voted against Trump a couple years ago. This year, there is no Hillary on the ballot and there is no electoral college to be concerned with. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    It took about thirty seconds for me to vote. All good in nj. 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mrussel1 said:
    g under p said:
    Even though I mailed in my vote and I've not been in any lines to see voters placing their votes. I can tell you the the turnout here in
    S FL is up considerably. I think the up tick is with the young voters which always a good sign.

Peace
    I think that the high voter turnout is due in large part to Trump. Nearly 10 million more people voted in the 2016 general election than did in 2012. That has to be attributed to Trump. And I think the same may be true in this mid-term. 
    I understand your logic here: Trump is so horrible that people are coming out to vote against him. But if you separated everyone into two groups: "people that always vote" and "people that are voting because of Trump"...and then you took that "people that are voting because of Trump" group and see if there's more for him or against him, I'd wager a guess there'd be more for him. But that's just a guess. 
    Not this time around...
    Even in the scenario you presented, about 3 million people voted against Trump a couple years ago. This year, there is no Hillary on the ballot and there is no electoral college to be concerned with. 
    Again...we'll see. I'm one of those people that took Trump seriously from the moment he came down that escalator. "Seriously" in that I thought he could definitely win the presidency. Not "seriously" in that I thought he could make America great again. So I'm not about to sell him or the candidates he endorses short based on polls. I'm just gonna cast my votes after work and watch and see what happens. 

Watching the 2016 election results was so weird for me because I voted for Clinton, wanted her to win, but went around telling people for months that I was sure Trump was going to win. So I was caught between "do I want what's best?" or "do I want to be right?" In the end, I wanted what's best. So I'm not looking to come on here tomorrow and say "I told you so" if you're wrong and the GOP has a big night tonight. You said, I suppose with some certainty, "Not this time around..." I hope you're right. I'd be happy to be proven wrong. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mrussel1 said:
    g under p said:

Peace
    Not this time around...
    Again...we'll see. I'm one of those people that took Trump seriously from the moment he came down that escalator. "Seriously" in that I thought he could definitely win the presidency. Not "seriously" in that I thought he could make America great again. So I'm not about to sell him or the candidates he endorses short based on polls. I'm just gonna cast my votes after work and watch and see what happens. 

Watching the 2016 election results was so weird for me because I voted for Clinton, wanted her to win, but went around telling people for months that I was sure Trump was going to win. So I was caught between "do I want what's best?" or "do I want to be right?" In the end, I wanted what's best. So I'm not looking to come on here tomorrow and say "I told you so" if you're wrong and the GOP has a big night tonight. You said, I suppose with some certainty, "Not this time around..." I hope you're right. I'd be happy to be proven wrong. 
    Even Trump himself did not seriously believe that he could win that election, and I strongly believe that he didn't want to win it. That's why he is dragging his feet so heavily when it comes to doing the actual work now. Insiders from his campaign have confirmed that he didn't actually intend to win when he entered the race. It seems that Trump actually over or underestimated the American public when it came to the reaction to his antics. Sad indeed.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mrussel1 said:
    g under p said:

Peace
    Not this time around...

if republicans win: "it was the russians again!"
    if dems win: "illegal immigrants voted again!"
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Walked in and out in five minutes - took the longest to get my sticker. But the number on my voter ticket was 3 x's higher than usual, especially for a midterm. Election volunteers said that there was above average first time voter and young people turnout. Awesome. And there are 4 hours left to vote, so still have the after work crowd. Didn't get to vote as a family, but everyone voted. Kinda bummer. Life.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Voting in the states is like pre-school for adults...here is your sticker...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2018
    They do it in Canada too. The reason for it is pretty obvious, and it's not just a pat on the head at all. It's based on psychology.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    They do it in Canada too. The reason for it is pretty obvious, and it's not just a pat on the head at all. It's based on psychology.
    No one gave me a sticker. I had to search for one because I was proud to wear it. Didn't feel like a pre-schooler - I wasn't sucking my thumb and if someone patted me on my  head,  I might be at the police station right now. 
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Maybe less money on stickers and more money voting machines.  People in Detroit are being stalled and turned away due to broken machines.  I do not need a sticker to advertise I voted.  Whether someone votes or not is there business ... at least at one time that use to be the case.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Maybe less money on stickers and more money voting machines.  People in Detroit are being stalled and turned away due to broken machines.  I do not need a sticker to advertise I voted.  Whether someone votes or not is there business ... at least at one time that use to be the case.
    ^
    How much does this guy think stickers cost?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600

Actually, who someone votes for is no one's business and you cannot be compelled to disclose that. Pride in participating in the most important civic duty that a democracy has may feel wrong for you, but it feels good for others. So why piss on pride? If you are being turned away because of broken machines in Detroit - you should call 866-OUR-VOTE to report it. 
    ^
    How much does this guy think stickers cost?
    Spent too much time in the Lost Dogs thread.
    njnancy said:
    Actually, who someone votes for is no one's business and you cannot be compelled to disclose that. Pride in participating in the most important civic duty that a democracy has may feel wrong for you, but it feels good for others. So why piss on pride? If you are being turned away because of broken machines in Detroit - you should call 866-OUR-VOTE to report it. 
    Njnancy throwing down a whoop ass soprano s style!!
    edited November 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    njnancy said:
    Njnancy throwing down a whoop ass soprano s style!!
  • Maybe less money on stickers and more money voting machines.  People in Detroit are being stalled and turned away due to broken machines.  I do not need a sticker to advertise I voted.  Whether someone votes or not is there business ... at least at one time that use to be the case.
    Bill Schuette putin on the fix?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Our family is four for four -- youngest was super-proud to go vote today, even made an Instagram post about it (which he very rarely does). :-)

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Our family is four for four -- youngest was super-proud to go vote today, even made an Instagram post about it (which he very rarely does). :-)

:clap:
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    sarah beattie, an american comedian, posted a pic of herself on twitter and instagram with two "I voted" stickers as pasties. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    PJ_Soul said:
    sarah beattie, an american comedian, posted a pic of herself on twitter and instagram with two "I voted" stickers as pasties. LOL
    ILLEGAL VOTING!  She voted twice!  It's rigged!

mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

HA! She'll be in 'someone's' twitter feed.

Surprised she snagged 2 stickers, there were only 3 left by me. Awesome idea for a pic though. 
    edited November 2018
    Double post. Forum hacked?? :fearful:
    njnancy said:
    Double post. Forum hacked?? :fearful:
    God damn Russians. 
  • Posted in another thread but wanted to share here too

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    njnancy said:
    given he is Canadian, his opinion means dogshit.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

HA! She'll be in 'someone's' twitter feed.

Surprised she snagged 2 stickers, there were only 3 left by me. Awesome idea for a pic though. 
    They look spectacular, i will give her that lol

She also said if any Republicans voted democrat she would blow them. I think I've fallen in love with this red haired comedic beauty lol
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    i have voted in every major election in my adult life and i have never gotten or seen an 'I voted' sticker.  nor do i care to have one but still.
    madhat181 said:
    Posted in another thread but wanted to share here too

Thank you, and again, really cool sticker.