2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    wbutler29 said:
    The 2018 Europe tour which started in the middle of June was announced December 1st 2017.  Its October 30th, so you have to think anything international in the early months (Jan-April) is out at this point.  North America could still be in play as those have been announced with a shorter interval.

I would also assume anything in Asia would require the 6 month window as that would be a large trip many people would have to plan out in advance.

No offense to our international brothers and sisters, but Europe, South/Latin America and Canada, with a sprinkle of Aussie festivals are the only places it appears PJ will be playing outside the U.S. and those stops are getting further and further apart.  refer to Greg354's post on last shows played. 

South America is like their #2 destination these days.   2005, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2018.   They have gone to South America FIVE TIMES since the last time Houston or Atlanta received their own show (ATL had a festival).

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    we need a canadian tour. come on. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• They go to South America for the same reason metallica did 5 European tours without doing a full US tour.  Pearl Jam can play massive venues and to massive crowds at all of their shows there which means massive pay days with fewer shows.  I know many of their fans still don't want to admit it, but touring is a business.  The objective of any business is to maximize your profits.  When you consider what they make in a weekend of playing Fenway Park or Wrigley Field between ticket sales and merch sales, they would need to play a dozen arena shows in lesser markets to come close.  They are older, have children and families.  Just doesn't make sense for them to do 40 show tours.  They will still do tours in the lesser markets but there will be fewer and fewer of them.  I won't be surprised if in 5 years, we only see them doing 7-10 shows per tour split between multi night stands in 4-5 biggest markets.  I can't say that I would blame them.  They have been doing this for 30+ years.  I am sure they just want to enjoy their lives and their hard work and spend time with their families.  

bootlegger10 said:
    wbutler29 said:
    The 2018 Europe tour which started in the middle of June was announced December 1st 2017.  Its October 30th, so you have to think anything international in the early months (Jan-April) is out at this point.  North America could still be in play as those have been announced with a shorter interval.

I would also assume anything in Asia would require the 6 month window as that would be a large trip many people would have to plan out in advance.

No offense to our international brothers and sisters, but Europe, South/Latin America and Canada, with a sprinkle of Aussie festivals are the only places it appears PJ will be playing outside the U.S. and those stops are getting further and further apart.  refer to Greg354's post on last shows played. 

South America is like their #2 destination these days.   2005, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2018.   They have gone to South America FIVE TIMES since the last time Houston or Atlanta received their own show (ATL had a festival).

• mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    wbutler29 said:

North America has had shows nearly every year ;)
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Vedd Hedd said:
    Again...if they play a normal size tour with more dates, the "demand" for Chicago, NY, etc would be less.   Keep in mind, some people can only afford 1 or 2 shows.  So, this year, they had to choose Wrigley, Seattle, Boston, or Missoula.   And Missoula being out of the way, and only 1 show...most people had to choose Seattle, Wrigley, or Boston. 

If they played Portland, the demand for Seattle would drop slightly.  If they played Milwaukee, Detroit, or Indianapolis, the demand for Chicago would drop.   Throwing those other cities in there helps keep the demand from being too crazy.  Therefore you dont have to set up a 9 night residency anywhere.  But yeah, you could do that in NYC....because not only would the population there cover it, people would also try to fly there just to see them for that.   Sorry, NYC, you get lots of visitors in addition to your huge population. 

Leg 1
    Toronto
    Montreal
    Buffalo
    NYC
    NYC
    Boston
    Boston
    Philly
    Pittsburgh
    Columbus
    DC
    Atlanta
    Miami
    Tampa

Leg 2

Chicago 
    Chicago
    East Troy
    St Louis
    New Orleans
    Dallas
    Houston
    Denver
    Phoenix
    San Diego
    Los Angeles
    San Fransisco
    Portland
    Vancouver
    Seattle
    Seattle

But this will never happen. 

Having residencies does many things. It lowers the bands wear and tear being in constant motion. It drastically cuts down backline work. It allows family increased opportunity to join the band. It maximizes performance time over travel.

Im observing their touring trends lately and it seems they tour less than average, less than other bands do, even fellow mega stars like the Stones or Bruce did when they were in their 50s. I get it, every night away from my family is not fun. So viola, summer residency and family.

Then i look at the stadium shows the last few years. Huge time and cost commitment to build a stage, a night for sound check and always a day off between the shows. All that effort for 95% of the fans to have a terrible view of the stage and very few shows for all that travel and effort. No side stage seats, no seats in the wings, no backstage seats. No second level seats that are actually decent. If you're  not in the first 25 rows in a stadium, the view is terrible.

I'm thinking a successful stadium show will bring in just a much revenue as 2 or 3 arena shows? 
    "This melody, inside of me, still searches for a solution."
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    I wonder what is going to happen with artists touring Brazil now. I hope I'm wrong, but I can see bands boycotting and also the government banning certain politically vocal artists.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    mrk2 said:
    wbutler29 said:

North America has had shows nearly every year ;)

If some of the above speculation is correct, no 2019 shows thru may or june, PJ will have traveled to play shows to a grand total of three American cities over a 36 month period.

Every city outside Chi and Bos are yearning for shows.
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Again...if they play a normal size tour with more dates, the "demand" for Chicago, NY, etc would be less.   Keep in mind, some people can only afford 1 or 2 shows.  So, this year, they had to choose Wrigley, Seattle, Boston, or Missoula.   And Missoula being out of the way, and only 1 show...most people had to choose Seattle, Wrigley, or Boston. 

If they played Portland, the demand for Seattle would drop slightly.  If they played Milwaukee, Detroit, or Indianapolis, the demand for Chicago would drop.   Throwing those other cities in there helps keep the demand from being too crazy.  Therefore you dont have to set up a 9 night residency anywhere.  But yeah, you could do that in NYC....because not only would the population there cover it, people would also try to fly there just to see them for that.   Sorry, NYC, you get lots of visitors in addition to your huge population. 

Leg 1
    Toronto
    Montreal
    Buffalo
    NYC
    NYC
    Boston
    Boston
    Philly
    Pittsburgh
    Columbus
    DC
    Atlanta
    Miami
    Tampa

Leg 2

Chicago 
    Chicago
    East Troy
    St Louis
    New Orleans
    Dallas
    Houston
    Denver
    Phoenix
    San Diego
    Los Angeles
    San Fransisco
    Portland
    Vancouver
    Seattle
    Seattle

But this will never happen. 

Having residencies does many things. It lowers the bands wear and tear being in constant motion. It drastically cuts down backline work. It allows family increased opportunity to join the band. It maximizes performance time over travel.

Im observing their touring trends lately and it seems they tour less than average, less than other bands do, even fellow mega stars like the Stones or Bruce did when they were in their 50s. I get it, every night away from my family is not fun. So viola, summer residency and family.

Then i look at the stadium shows the last few years. Huge time and cost commitment to build a stage, a night for sound check and always a day off between the shows. All that effort for 95% of the fans to have a terrible view of the stage and very few shows for all that travel and effort. No side stage seats, no seats in the wings, no backstage seats. No second level seats that are actually decent. If you're  not in the first 25 rows in a stadium, the view is terrible.

I'm thinking a successful stadium show will bring in just a much revenue as 2 or 3 arena shows? 

The opportunity for arena revenue is there are more quality seats close to the stage. Many bands maximize this with the use of platinum or VIP seating. 2 market value priced arena shows can easily eclipse one Fenway.

Baseball Stadium shows have very few seats close to the stage which minimizes this opportunity. If you are not tall you have no chance for a good view. Also,  old stadiums have lots of obstructed seats. Enjoyed the notice on that purchase ';-)
  • Okay so here's a question for any experts out there:  does the Innings news suggest an EV solo tour, a PJ tour, or no tour?
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    kst said:
    Okay so here's a question for any experts out there:  does the Innings news suggest an EV solo tour, a PJ tour, or no tour?
    Could be a one-off show, could be an Ed solo tour, could be an Ed show at the beginning or end of a Pearl Jam tour. No way to know yet.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    I'm hopeful it could mean a solo tour but it could also be so he can hang with the Cubs and make some money at the same time.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 875
    my guess is one off. It fits his schedule. Maybe a new solo album or try some new stuff? Too early in the year for a PJ tour for sure, so maybe just a good time for Ed.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    kst said:
    Okay so here's a question for any experts out there:  does the Innings news suggest an EV solo tour, a PJ tour, or no tour?
    I'm hoping it means new solo record. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    kst said:
    Me too :prayer:
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    kst said:
    Or the fact that the Cubs play 3.7 miles away from the concert for spring training. They play that weekend too. 

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    kst said:
    Here's hoping it's Guitar Songs and not Ukulele Songs 2.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    Perhaps something reminiscent of ‘09
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Thanks for everyone's comments.  I doubt it would be a new solo record because the band is working on a record.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    kst said:
    Thanks for everyone's comments.  I doubt it would be a new solo record because the band is working on a record.  

I was hoping theyd be cranking out the finishing touches by March on the new record. Now with a solo show, not so sure.
  • Colorado would LOVE to have PJ come and play in or near Denver. Most of us normal people couldn’t afford to go to the concert in Telluride a couple of years ago!
    Red Rocks would be amazing.....but they can sell out Mile High. 
    Please come to Denver!
  • Red Rocks capacity is 9525. We know what 10C members do for poster drops. Assuming 10C gets 10% of tickets, they'd get fewer than 500 pairs.

Face it. Red Rocks won't happen.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,501
    Moline wasn’t much bigger than Red Rocks and with no Chicago stop on that 2014 tour it was the closest (along with MKE) to that large urban center. So it’s not inconceivable that they wouldn’t play Red Rocks again. I recall an interview where they expressed interest (I think it was Mike?) fairly recently. I say keep the dream alive.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    we need a canadian tour. come on. 

Pretty quiet on the rumour front in November is not a good sign for 2019. 
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    PJNB said:
    Pretty quiet on the rumour front in November is not a good sign for 2019. 
    Not necessarily, but it would mean a more traditional out and about in sheds and maybe a couple of bigger stadium shows mixed in during summer.  Most bands have just finished up their late fall and spring tour announcements.   If PJ goes out next year, it will be summer to fall.

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

edited November 2018
    mwplum said:
    Moline wasn’t much bigger than Red Rocks and with no Chicago stop on that 2014 tour it was the closest (along with MKE) to that large urban center. So it’s not inconceivable that they wouldn’t play Red Rocks again. I recall an interview where they expressed interest (I think it was Mike?) fairly recently. I say keep the dream alive.

Unfortunately 2014 is not now. 2014 was at the end of many years of consistent touring. 2019 is (hopefully) the culmination of many years of vastly reduced touring

July 2019 will be (hopefully) the end of a 3 year run where the US has only seen stadium shows in four cities, one of which hundreds of miles from any large population center of fans

Spring 2016 saw about 13 U.S. arena shows and 2015 had zero full U.S. shows. So even 2015-16 had reduced U.S. touring. But by today's scheduling, we be thrilled with even that. They were transitioning to festivals and stadiums

2014 vs 2019: completely different era regarding their travel and time allocation

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    I sure hope 2019 is not a repeat of 2017. 
    bbiggs said:
    I sure hope 2019 is not a repeat of 2017. 
    Me as well. The thing that has me most worried is the fact that Eddie said he would never tour in the Fall again during the post season. I guess that leaves the summer which is rare for them to do a full tour in the States as well as November/December. I guess they could do a east coast tour in the summer and a west/midwest coast tour in November/December. Eddie doing a spring solo tour would be great as well but there is nothing down the rumour mill pipeline at all as far as I can tell. 

Of course this all depends on how far along the album is and when they are going to release it and if Eddie is serious about never touring in October. 
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,501
    mwplum said:

Unfortunately 2014 is not now. 2014 was at the end of many years of consistent touring. 2019 is (hopefully) the culmination of many years of vastly reduced touring

July 2019 will be (hopefully) the end of a 3 year run where the US has only seen stadium shows in four cities, one of which hundreds of miles from any large population center of fans

Spring 2016 saw about 13 U.S. arena shows and 2015 had zero full U.S. shows. So even 2015-16 had reduced U.S. touring. But by today's scheduling, we be thrilled with even that. They were transitioning to festivals and stadiums

2014 vs 2019: completely different era regarding their travel and time allocation

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I hit up a lot of shows on the 2014 and 2016 tours. I believe 2014 saw 12 US dates (+ 2 at Bridge School) whereas 2016 saw 20 US dates, so 2016 was actually more extensive than 2014. Yes, 2017 sucked, but if they come back with a US tour in 2019, you're only looking at a 2 year break from a more extensive US tour 2017-2018 (as opposed to the one year break between 2014 and 2016). 

Also, something else to consider:
    2011 - only 2 US dates 
    2012 - only 4 US dates

As such, this current period isn't unprecedented, as if you look at the most recent period of 2017 - 1 US date / 2018 - 7 US dates, it's actually more shows than the US got in 2011/2012 (8 vs. 6). These periods both correlated with big milestones/events (ie. 2011 PJ20 and 2017 R&R HOF), so I don't get the whole "sky is falling" take on the past 2 years. So long as they come back with an album and tour in 2019, I'm sure that this period will be looked back upon just like 2011/2012. 
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
    edited November 2018
    mwplum said:
    mwplum said:

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I hit up a lot of shows on the 2014 and 2016 tours. I believe 2014 saw 12 US dates (+ 2 at Bridge School) whereas 2016 saw 20 US dates, so 2016 was actually more extensive than 2014. Yes, 2017 sucked, but if they come back with a US tour in 2019, you're only looking at a 2 year break from a more extensive US tour 2017-2018 (as opposed to the one year break between 2014 and 2016). 

Also, something else to consider:
    2011 - only 2 US dates 
    2012 - only 4 US dates

As such, this current period isn't unprecedented, as if you look at the most recent period of 2017 - 1 US date / 2018 - 7 US dates, it's actually more shows than the US got in 2011/2012 (8 vs. 6). These periods both correlated with big milestones/events (ie. 2011 PJ20 and 2017 R&R HOF), so I don't get the whole "sky is falling" take on the past 2 years. So long as they come back with an album and tour in 2019, I'm sure that this period will be looked back upon just like 2011/2012. 

I was purposefully backing out 2016 festival, stadium and Canadian dates to demonstrate how rare a Pearl Jam US  arena show has been the last four years (for context to  fans who are hoping for even smaller than arena venues like red rocks).

13 such shows in 4+ years?

...and we can probably add on the first half of 2019 to that?

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on