On The Road Again or In My Truck v.2.0

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,420
    Why do truckers bother heading out during rush hour? 
    load dictates that. load has to be picked up and/or delivered at or  by a certain time, you go. most ship/receive depts are bankers hours.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    one more working day til I reach top pay scale.........
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    one more working day til I reach top pay scale.........
    at top scale......

• So after being on the road again for a few months?

Its good to see that some things have not changed over the last 20 or so years.

ATLANTA? You fine folks are THE WORST DRIVERS ON PLANET EARTH!!!!

Good Lord. And can you do me a favor? Explain to me why there are dozens upon dozens of vehicles, either abandoned or dead, on the shoulder of all your major highways? Those abandoned cars, along with the 7,365 accidents that occur on your highways on a daily basis?  MAKE ME CRAZY!!!!!

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

So after being on the road again for a few months?

Good Lord. And can you do me a favor? Explain to me why there are dozens upon dozens of vehicles, either abandoned or dead, on the shoulder of all your major highways? Those abandoned cars, along with the 7,365 accidents that occur on your highways on a daily basis?  MAKE ME CRAZY!!!!!

stay out of Connecticut then. THOSE fuckers really suck.

• mickeyrat said:

So according to Mr. Dispatcher, I will be doing Chicago to Miami and back on a weekly basis. I was told this 3 days ago. Im really hoping this happens. But as you know, in the trucking industry, things change quite often. But going to Miami for the next 3-4 months during the Winter? SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!

edited October 2018
    mickeyrat said:

So according to Mr. Dispatcher, I will be doing Chicago to Miami and back on a weekly basis. I was told this 3 days ago. Im really hoping this happens. But as you know, in the trucking industry, things change quite often. But going to Miami for the next 3-4 months during the Winter? SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!

yeah, but when they get ice you're fucked.  light dusting too. drivers down there cant hang. tenn and below.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

oh, you may want to find an alternate to bypass ATL too.

oh yay. currently on the shoulder of I71 approx 38 miles from my home terminal with a tractor transmission that. decided to give up the ghost and come apart internally.

waiting process to get a tow out to me....

• So I cant WAIT to get back on the road today, heading to Miami. Chicago and this 30 below wind chill for the next week, CAN KISS MY ASS!!!

Im actually leaving home a day early. Just because I don't want to deal with this cold, and the 6 inches of snow that is coming tonight.

yeah, I expect we'll have a few long low mile nights waiting onfreight out off the upper midwest.

week before last we had dick for freight. 1700 mile week. fucking sucked. right back to normal last week though.

most of our guys will run in weather but not to the point of being stupid about it. well not too stupid about it.

• Hey mickey? What would you do?

Im taking a load to Mesquite Nevada this week. Leaving tomorrow. Don't deliver until Thursday. Doesn't look like I will be dealing with too much weather(Thank God), but that could obviously change. I did this run 4-5 times last summer and always took 80 across and not 70. 80 only adds 60 or so miles too the trip, and I avoid the Rockies. Im thinking of doing the exact same route this time around. Yet every trucker I ever talked to last summer would tell me that come winter time, I am better off taking 70. They say 80 becomes a nightmare due to the high winds and that 70 is better maintained in the Winter months. What do you think? According to accuweather It doesn't look like I am going to be dealing with any major snow or high winds this week through Wyoming. But again that could change. It looks like The Rockies are getting some major snow through the mountains, but that will be tomorrow. I wouldn't be there until Tuesday.

What do you think?

70 or 80?

• And if it were up to me, I would take the Southern route, and take 40 across. But I am pretty sure my company would not be thrilled with all the extra miles.

Hey mickey? What would you do?

Im taking a load to Mesquite Nevada this week. Leaving tomorrow. Don't deliver until Thursday. Doesn't look like I will be dealing with too much weather(Thank God), but that could obviously change. I did this run 4-5 times last summer and always took 80 across and not 70. 80 only adds 60 or so miles too the trip, and I avoid the Rockies. Im thinking of doing the exact same route this time around. Yet every trucker I ever talked to last summer would tell me that come winter time, I am better off taking 70. They say 80 becomes a nightmare due to the high winds and that 70 is better maintained in the Winter months. What do you think? According to accuweather It doesn't look like I am going to be dealing with any major snow or high winds this week through Wyoming. But again that could change. It looks like The Rockies are getting some major snow through the mountains, but that will be tomorrow. I wouldn't be there until Tuesday.

What do you think?

70 or 80?

get your chains and take 70. I see too many pictures of overturned trucks on 80, although they are very good at closing it.

and we only ever hear of the chain up requirements for 70, nothing catastrophic like on 80.

• mickeyrat said:

What do you think?

70 or 80?

get your chains and take 70. I see too many pictures of overturned trucks on 80, although they are very good at closing it.

and we only ever hear of the chain up requirements for 70, nothing catastrophic like on 80.

hmmmm….

Im not seeing any high wind advisories for 80, for the entire week, at least not forecasted.  Ill take my chains, and make a decision in Nebraska. How are things with you? I have managed to basically avoid this entire Winter with doing Miami. Though last week I got a taste of it with a run to Ohio. First it was ice, then the following day it was snow. But I survived. Ive had a 2 week break from Miami, and Im told next week it will be back to normal, and sun and fun in Florida.

waiting on freight volume to normalize.  interested to see just how the first year of tax filings under the new law will effect everything.  with lower tax returns being received, just how much consumer spending will help or hurt with volume.

last year my bid , I didnt see any real decrease in miles. This year same bid but its been very hard to take. impatient for it to pick back up. But being topped at .674cpm , I'm still bringing home better money than Schneider.

Have you taken the 70 routing before? just looks like it might be visually more stimulating. Seeing it from the air flying into Vegas a couple years ago, it looks like a nice drive.

oh, and my running area means I have been actually working at driving this season.......

Driver!!!  What was your routing choice?

edited March 2019
    Ithink freight has entered back into normal volume , at least it seems to have for us.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    hats off to you guys.

I can’t think of much worse than driving.....anything.....everyday.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,788
    mickeyrat said:

What do you think?

70 or 80?

Take 70 huh?

I would like to thank you for the worst advice ever given to me!! 70 was a disaster!

But I forgive you....hahahahaha

mickeyrat said:

What do you think?

70 or 80?

Take 70 huh?

I would like to thank you for the worst advice ever given to me!! 70 was a disaster!

so what happened?

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

What do you think?

70 or 80?

Take 70 huh?

so what happened?

What happened? Millions of years ago, the Colorado Rocky Mountains were formed. Then 100 or so years ago, some engineer decided to build a highway right through those mountains. After blasting through those mountains, he left about 5-7 mountains with  7% grade, for us truckers to maneuver through. Some of those 7% grades lasted 6-8 miles. Along with those 7% grades, he left numerous 5%-6% grades, also lasting for miles. And my DUMBASS drove right through that stretch of highway, for miles and miles, and miles, as snow was falling!!! Ive got some great pictures. PM me your phone number if you want, and Ill text you some great pics from those mountains of pure hell. Hahaha

Vail had a good 10 inches of snow on it, as did the other mountains. Then when I arrived in Utah, 70 turns in to a roller coaster. It was pure hell. At least on 80, I don't have to deal with any of those mountain grades. LIKE AT ALL. You see mountains, but you are not driving directly through them. Just a couple in Western Wyoming, and when you enter Utah.

I will NEVER take 70 again. EVER

But ya live and ya learn. I survived and it was a wild ride.

I was happy to be down in Miami again last week. 90 degrees and sunny.

Things good for you?

Plus as an added bonus on 70? You come across a sign that say "No services for 70 miles"

Then after you pass through whatever town has that gas station, you soon pass a sign that says "No services for 100 miles"

Really?

My numbers aren't exact, but they are pretty damned close.

draw a line from Minneapolis down to and through Dallas to Houston, thats been my farthest west.
    Was it such a good idea asking someone with 7 yrs exp your routing options?

for future reference I do things the hard way. multiple times......

freight is picking up finally......

mickeyrat said:
    draw a line from Minneapolis down to and through Dallas to Houston, thats been my farthest west.

About as good an idea as giving advice to someone, when you don't have a clue.

mickeyrat said:

About as good an idea as giving advice to someone, when you don't have a clue.

you asked what I thought. I told you. And what was said was true.......

Its over and done. Lets just let it go.

We have been busier than hell, company is buying 4 more OTR trucks, yet are having trouble finding drivers. I don't get it either. About $85k a year to start, dedicated runs to Texas, Vegas, and Florida, and we cant find drivers? Brand new automatic Volvos, the cream of the crop, and we cant get drivers? Guaranteed 2500 miles a week.

Its over and done. Lets just let it go.

We have been busier than hell, company is buying 4 more OTR trucks, yet are having trouble finding drivers. I don't get it either. About $85k a year to start, dedicated runs to Texas, Vegas, and Florida, and we cant find drivers? Brand new automatic Volvos, the cream of the crop, and we cant get drivers? Guaranteed 2500 miles a week.

Strange. are they posting the ad somewhere?

screen capture of my dash cam early Saturday morning. 01:36 US 23 NB mm36 (approx)

this a 4 lane divided highway , I am in the right northbound lane..........