On The Road Again or In My Truck v.2.0

Comments

• Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    mickeyrat said:

Just got offered a job with Dayton Freight. LTL linehaul gig. I accepted.

Good luck!
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,641
    first night. ride along. some driving. but I need to get my sleep schedule flipped and soon.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    so far so good.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    My old man is driving for MCT, I think lol
    Mostly runs a route between Sioux Falls and some city outside of Philadelphia.
    Be safe out there.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Fuck yeah. Just assigned a brand new truck a couple days ago. Rides great, pulls well enough.

next week will mark 6 months since hire. due for the first of what will be three raises this year. End of quarter I grossed just under 20k Look to make 85ish? up from 50k at my last job........

• mickeyrat said:
    Partially loaded into the "new" truck. Man I'd like to get it washed. Might have to wait til I'm driving in a hard rain. New account. 5 days out. Usually weekdays. Have yet to get my first assignment. Look for daily updates as to location and any dumbass musings from me.

Just wanted to let you know.

3 months ago I decided to go back Over The Road. My company made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I am driving a brand stinking new 2019 Volvo, double sleeper, with fridge and all the gadgets. I'm delivering for a dedicated account. 99% of the time I am either headed to Miami, Las Vegas, or Waco Texas. Its been interesting to say the least. I just got sick and tired of all the drama that went on with my local gig. Now its just me and my truck and tons of miles.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    edited October 2018
    mickeyrat said:
    Partially loaded into the "new" truck. Man I'd like to get it washed. Might have to wait til I'm driving in a hard rain. New account. 5 days out. Usually weekdays. Have yet to get my first assignment. Look for daily updates as to location and any dumbass musings from me.

3 months ago I decided to go back Over The Road. My company made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I am driving a brand stinking new 2019 Volvo, double sleeper, with fridge and all the gadgets. I'm delivering for a dedicated account. 99% of the time I am either headed to Miami, Las Vegas, or Waco Texas. Its been interesting to say the least. I just got sick and tired of all the drama that went on with my local gig. Now its just me and my truck and tons of miles.

and I am 2 weeks from topping out. running the same miles per week and working 50-55 hrs per week.

that volvo, manual or auto?

I assume by now you've established several regular shut down points, still the Trucker Path app is a great tool
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

and I am 2 weeks from topping out. running the same miles per week and working 50-55 hrs per week.

I assume by now you've established several regular shut down points, still the Trucker Path app is a great tool

Volvo automatic. I freaking love it!

Yeah, I have these routes down to a science. I mostly run at night into the early afternoon. That way I have the road to myself at night, and don't run into any issues finding any parking at the truck stops. I try to get 625-700 miles in my 11 hour driving day. I will run 5, take my 30 minutes, then finish off the day. So far so good.

edited October 2018
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Volvo automatic. I freaking love it!

Yeah, I have these routes down to a science. I mostly run at night into the early afternoon. That way I have the road to myself at night, and don't run into any issues finding any parking at the truck stops. I try to get 625-700 miles in my 11 hour driving day. I will run 5, take my 30 minutes, then finish off the day. So far so good.

just moved into an older KW (2015) from a 17 Prostar.  fucking seats were killing my right hip and lower back.  Not so with the Kdub. Fucking lazyboy recliner, that seat. Heated too!!!!

did they get you an apu too?

assuming they switched you to CPM, no?
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• yes to both.
  • Never in a MILLION YEARS did I think I would ever go OTR again. But I basically gave myself a

$30k a year raise. When I told my wife how much $$ I would or could make? She basically packed my bags, and kicked my ass out the door. HAHA

yes to both.
    well shit, you are stylin. need some Adidas jogging pants, flip flops , some gold chains, wife beater shirts and a gallon or two of cologne. you'll fit right in with the volvo crowd.....

• mickeyrat said:
    yes to both.
    well shit, you are stylin. need some Adidas jogging pants, flip flops , some gold chains, wife beater shirts and a gallon or two of cologne. you'll fit right in with the volvo crowd.....

HAHA...

I was happy to see that 90% of the big truck stops have done a major remodel on the showers, since I was last over the road. I was pleasantly surprised. I stick to Travel America and Pilots, and for the most part its nice to see that they are no longer as disgusting as I remember. Hahaha

mickeyrat said:
    yes to both.

HAHA...

I was happy to see that 90% of the big truck stops have done a major remodel on the showers, since I was last over the road. I was pleasantly surprised. I stick to Travel America and Pilots, and for the most part its nice to see that they are no longer as disgusting as I remember. Hahaha

the Js usually have bigger shower rooms than pilots. more parking too....

• I feel bad for the newer drivers, when it comes to parking. I sit and watch drivers pass up perfectly good spaces, only because they cant back up the damned truck. But I get it. We were all new to this profession at one time. But then I think, how the hell did they get their license, if they cant back up the damned truck?

Plus I LOVE the new regulations, and my peoplenet. I am guaranteed my 10 hours off, no questions asked. Back in the day the dispatchers expected us to function on 3 or 4 hours of sleep a day. Which was just ridiculous. No more log books, no more nonsense.

edited October 2018

I feel bad for the newer drivers, when it comes to parking. I sit and watch drivers pass up perfectly good spaces, only because they cant back up the damned truck. But I get it. We were all new to this profession at one time. But then I think, how the hell did they get their license, if they cant back up the damned truck?

Plus I LOVE the new regulations, and my peoplenet. I am guaranteed my 10 hours off, no questions asked. Back in the day the dispatchers expected us to function on 3 or 4 hours of sleep a day. Which was just ridiculous. No more log books, no more nonsense.

didnt have trucks on either side when you test out....

have ran qualcomm my whole career. only 7 years but still. stupid easy.

if you are on eld now ,dont move the truck til your breaks are up.

look into truckers against trafficking. running where you do, you might spot something.....

• There are a couple other newer guys, with our company, who are also doing OTR. And for the life of them, they cant figure out how to manage their hours. They will arrive at delivery, and then have NO HOURS for pickup. The company has to basically wait 24 hours to schedule a pickup. I have tried my best to tell these guys they need to leave for their delivery, at the beginning of the week, 10-15 hours early. That way you arrive at delivery, or close to it, sleep your 10 hours or so, and then get off your break, make your delivery, and have 8-10 hours available for pickup and getting your ass back to the barn. They look at me like I'm nuts. No way in hell are they leaving their home early. Yet at the end of the week they can figure out why I can do 1000 more miles a week than them .
    There are a couple other newer guys, with our company, who are also doing OTR. And for the life of them, they cant figure out how to manage their hours. They will arrive at delivery, and then have NO HOURS for pickup. The company has to basically wait 24 hours to schedule a pickup. I have tried my best to tell these guys they need to leave for their delivery, at the beginning of the week, 10-15 hours early. That way you arrive at delivery, or close to it, sleep your 10 hours or so, and then get off your break, make your delivery, and have 8-10 hours available for pickup and getting your ass back to the barn. They look at me like I'm nuts. No way in hell are they leaving their home early. Yet at the end of the week they can figure out why I can do 1000 more miles a week than them .
    are you getting a full 48 off or more per week? maxing out your 70?

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    A buddy of mine did OTR for a few companies for a number of years and now has a dedicated route with FedEx.  Keeps telling me I should get in their apprentice program or whatever.  I'm like, fuck dude, I can't drive an F-150 without thinking I'm gonna fucking hit everything. There's no way I'm driving a truck and getting it around without running over shit.  I can't back a small car into places.  Backing out is fine, but I've never been able to judge backing in very well.  Ain't no way I'm successfully driving a truck with a  53' trailer attached to it.  I don't know how you guys do it.
  • mickeyrat said:
    There are a couple other newer guys, with our company, who are also doing OTR. And for the life of them, they cant figure out how to manage their hours. They will arrive at delivery, and then have NO HOURS for pickup. The company has to basically wait 24 hours to schedule a pickup. I have tried my best to tell these guys they need to leave for their delivery, at the beginning of the week, 10-15 hours early. That way you arrive at delivery, or close to it, sleep your 10 hours or so, and then get off your break, make your delivery, and have 8-10 hours available for pickup and getting your ass back to the barn. They look at me like I'm nuts. No way in hell are they leaving their home early. Yet at the end of the week they can figure out why I can do 1000 more miles a week than them .
    are you getting a full 48 off or more per week? maxing out your 70?

There were issues with my company, at 1st, with them thinking 34 hours off was sufficient. But I am thinking we have that worked out. I had to let them know there will be times I need 48-60 off. But for the most part its a minimum of 48 off.

I never max out.

A buddy of mine did OTR for a few companies for a number of years and now has a dedicated route with FedEx.  Keeps telling me I should get in their apprentice program or whatever.  I'm like, fuck dude, I can't drive an F-150 without thinking I'm gonna fucking hit everything. There's no way I'm driving a truck and getting it around without running over shit.  I can't back a small car into places.  Backing out is fine, but I've never been able to judge backing in very well.  Ain't no way I'm successfully driving a truck with a  53' trailer attached to it.  I don't know how you guys do it.
    very carefully. forward is the easy part.....

• A buddy of mine did OTR for a few companies for a number of years and now has a dedicated route with FedEx.  Keeps telling me I should get in their apprentice program or whatever.  I'm like, fuck dude, I can't drive an F-150 without thinking I'm gonna fucking hit everything. There's no way I'm driving a truck and getting it around without running over shit.  I can't back a small car into places.  Backing out is fine, but I've never been able to judge backing in very well.  Ain't no way I'm successfully driving a truck with a  53' trailer attached to it.  I don't know how you guys do it.

I'm more comfortable driving my rig and trailer, than I am driving my car. I drive my truck better than my personal vehicle. I just do. I cant explain it either. I just feel more comfortable in my semi.

I'm more comfortable driving my rig and trailer, than I am driving my car. I drive my truck better than my personal vehicle. I just do. I cant explain it either. I just feel more comfortable in my semi.
    field of vision cant be beat....

• mickeyrat said:

field of vision cant be beat....
    Exactly.
  • Hey Mickey? What exactly have you been up to? Local? Linehaul? OTR? Regional?
    linehaul. Dayton. building a 3rd yard in Chi between Ord and Midway. Midway is our biggest term company wide. Its like 180 doors or so. In 13 states. Expanding. profit margin ladt year was 12.8%

average 2500 plus a week. 50 to 55 hrs week. home daily. about to top out. .674 and 27.30 an hr. Work at a great barn with a great line haul group. fucking company is driver centric.

• mickeyrat said:
    linehaul. Dayton. building a 3rd yard in Chi between Ord and Midway. Midway is our biggest term company wide. Its like 180 doors or so. In 13 states. Expanding. profit margin ladt year was 12.8%

average 2500 plus a week. 50 to 55 hrs week. home daily. about to top out. .674 and 27.30 an hr. Work at a great barn with a great line haul group. fucking company is driver centric.

Very nice.

Looks like ya found a nice home.

mickeyrat said:

Very nice.

Looks like ya found a nice home.

oh yeah.

• shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    Why do truckers bother heading out during rush hour? 
    did you see me? i saw you.