2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    edited October 2018
    JimmyV said:
    They likely won't since it has been 18 years, but I would love to see them play Vegas again.
    12 years and three presidents ago. Been a long time. Ed bitched about Vegas at the 2006 SD show and how it was an awful day there. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    kst said:
    They never play enough anywhere.  That's part of why it is always a treat to see them.  NYC is no different from any other place in terms of this.

True but there are some European locales that dont sell. Im recalling reading about shows from italy maybe ten years ago where fans were discussing it was nearly half empty and they were frustrated security wouldn't let them closer.

Generally speaking, i agree, they are the toughest ticket in rock with their popularity and rigid ticketing system. Combine that with their obvious desire to limit their days on the road to about two months every other year, playing stadiums and festivals is limiting access for fans 

Its simply not fair to ask fans their age to stand for 7 plus hours at a festival, with a shortened setlist and possibly half the crowd are casual or uninterested fans.

Stadiums are even worse choices to maximize exposure to fans and be profitable

They needed 5-6 days to play two shows at fenway? A small city in the corner of the country with tons of obstructed views. They invested 10 to 12 days in chicago and boston this year for four shows with the majority of fans a mile away or obstructed views. They are not exactly maximizing their time on the road or profit potential. 

Residencies in nyc or la or chicago will limit their travel, limit days away from family, limit their cost and maximize the best potential views and most available tickets for fans. And make it easier for family to stay with them on the road. Arenas will maximize their ability to charge more, which is only fair considering they are limiting their public appearances from here on out

Phish, The Allmans and many others figured this out.

edited October 2018
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • DrdealDrdeal Posts: 693
    on2legs said:
    lolobugg said:
    seeing PJ at MSG is on my bucket list so I am cool with this.
    Seeing PJ at MSG is still on my bucket list and I’ve seen them 10 times there already.  Bring on more shows!
    U2 did 8 MSG shows three years ago. Its time for PJ to do that. 
  • ponner1usponner1us Posts: 736
    edited October 2018
    Milestone said:
    JimmyV said:
    They likely won't since it has been 18 years, but I would love to see them play Vegas again.
    12 years and three presidents ago. Been a long time. Ed bitched about Vegas at the 2006 SD show and how it was an awful day there. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
    He probably bitched and said it was an awful day because he was really sick. I remember because I traveled from PA to Vegas and Ed said they almost cancelled because he was so bad. Flu and sore throat if I’m remembering right. 
    Post edited by ponner1us on
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
    Drdeal said:
    on2legs said:
    lolobugg said:
    seeing PJ at MSG is on my bucket list so I am cool with this.
    Seeing PJ at MSG is still on my bucket list and I’ve seen them 10 times there already.  Bring on more shows!
    U2 did 8 MSG shows three years ago. Its time for PJ to do that. 

Since they have been drastically cutting back, residencies make the most sense. NYC gives about 20% of the country very reasonable access 

Add a handful of other cities, LA, Atl and Stl, do about 5 shows in each with maybe 10 in nyc. If we are all going to travel anyway, why does the band go thru the expense of transporting, building and tearing down the set on a daily basis? And stadiums take just too many days away from home to set up. 

Summer residencies also allow their families to tag along. Vegas would be fun, but its in the middle of nowhere. At least make an attempt to put the shows as close to the most fans possible.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    I hope residencies never happen. Anywhere. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    bbiggs said:
    I hope residencies never happen. Anywhere. 

Agreed.  I love the travel aspect of the tour the most.  I get the appeal though. 

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    I hope Pearl Jam makes an album that really stretches them and his some significant risk of failure.  I'm not going to turn down another LB or BS but the world does not need it.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    A residency in Seattle would be intriguing. A residency in NYC would not. I don't care what other bands do. Setting up shop for weeks in New York would feel like a lazy cash grab.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    JimmyV said:
    A residency in Seattle would be intriguing. A residency in NYC would not. I don't care what other bands do. Setting up shop for weeks in New York would feel like a lazy cash grab.
    Look at Phish’s baker’s dozen run, something like that would be legendary and the band could easily do it...although they don’t seem too motivated to do something like this at this point of being semi retired. Although, they would have to mix it up and maybe...gasp.,.not play even flow, alive, and ritfw every night.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    KN219077 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Look at Phish’s baker’s dozen run, something like that would be legendary and the band could easily do it...although they don’t seem too motivated to do something like this at this point of being semi retired. Although, they would have to mix it up and maybe...gasp.,.not play even flow, alive, and ritfw every night.
    Phish tours regularly with annual tour stops and is from Vermont which borders New York. Different animal. If PJ is going to do a residency, do it in Seattle. New York would just be cashing checks, IMO.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • radarradar Posts: 767
    I hope Pearl Jam makes an album that really stretches them and his some significant risk of failure.  I'm not going to turn down another LB or BS but the world does not need it.
    Let’s hope!
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    JimmyV said:
    KN219077 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Phish tours regularly with annual tour stops and is from Vermont which borders New York. Different animal. If PJ is going to do a residency, do it in Seattle. New York would just be cashing checks, IMO.
    I guess, they probably wouldn’t have it in them to do something like bakers dozen anyway, takes some serious ambition and I think the closest they’ll come to doing something like that is spectrum 09 
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,329
    Wrigley was tough to get because people flew in from everywhere. They only did 7 US shows?
    If they did somewhat of a normalish tour, with dates in mutltiple cities, people may stick closer to home. 18-20 shows, shows in every region, etc. 

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    Please Atlanta!! Only live about 25 minutes from downtown. Would love to see Raleigh redo as well. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    edited October 2018

They needed 5-6 days to play two shows at fenway? A small city in the corner of the country with tons of obstructed views. They invested 10 to 12 days in chicago and boston this year for four shows with the majority of fans a mile away or obstructed views. They are not exactly maximizing their time on the road or profit potential.
    I'm not sure I buy that.   They play stadium shows it's 45000 fans a night (ish).  That's 90000 fans in 2 shows over 3 nights.  We saw this year that Ed had voice struggles, and back to back, wasn't such a good idea.  Meaning wherever they play, back to backs probably won't be to common anymore.

I don't get how playing arena's over stadiums maximizes anything.  Most arena's hold just under 20000 people (usually 16 to 18000).  So instead of playing 2 stadium shows they need to play 5 arena shows.   If they can't play back to back that's 10 days in one city to see the same # of fans instead of 3 (and that's not including how many days early they show up).

I miss arena shows as much as the next guy, but if you're playing 45000 people a night instead of 18000.    That's a lot less show you have to play and a lot less time you have to spend playing them.

It definitely feels like PJ figured out the fans will come to them.  Rather than do a 20 date arena tour.  They setup stadium shows in a few place in the country and let the fans come to them.   Way less touring and traveling than a 20 date arena tour.

edit:  I also wouldn't mind commenting on the festival thing.  I saw Pemberton Festival 2 years ago and it might be top 5 for me.  It's the opposite of PJ show.  They're no crazy lineups to get in or for merch.  We looked at the setlist.  We wanted to go see and support a local musician that started at 5.  We got there for 4:30pm.  Got in no problem.  Saw Jesse Roper, then some other bands to pass the time, then Noel Gallagher, then PJ.  The whole thing was GA but we got as close as we do in any stadium pit.   They played for 2 hours and 40 minutes.  Rocked the hell out of the place.  It was amazing.  It was like going to a PJ show without any of the hassle. 

Similar to the Virgin Music Festival in Calgary 09.  Parking lot was a but of a shitshow, but we showed up around 6pm to be on the safe side.  We got a good spot, and it was a helluva good outdoor show.   No waiting for 7 hours for anything.

The festival shows I've seen have been pretty good.  Usually outdoors on a sunny day.   They seem so effortless.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • nalyd61nalyd61 Boston Posts: 698
    kst said:
    They never play enough anywhere.  That's part of why it is always a treat to see them.  NYC is no different from any other place in terms of this.

True but there are some European locales that dont sell. Im recalling reading about shows from italy maybe ten years ago where fans were discussing it was nearly half empty and they were frustrated security wouldn't let them closer.

Generally speaking, i agree, they are the toughest ticket in rock with their popularity and rigid ticketing system. Combine that with their obvious desire to limit their days on the road to about two months every other year, playing stadiums and festivals is limiting access for fans 

Its simply not fair to ask fans their age to stand for 7 plus hours at a festival, with a shortened setlist and possibly half the crowd are casual or uninterested fans.

Stadiums are even worse choices to maximize exposure to fans and be profitable

Residencies in nyc or la or chicago will limit their travel, limit days away from family, limit their cost and maximize the best potential views and most available tickets for fans. And make it easier for family to stay with them on the road. Arenas will maximize their ability to charge more, which is only fair considering they are limiting their public appearances from here on out

Phish, The Allmans and many others figured this out.

I’m pretty sure these guys understand their options. I have no idea but would assume they choose fenway and Wrigley because they like and  enjoy the cities and can sell tickets. You make good points and I’m assuming they are aware of the options and cities and choose where they want to set up camp. 
    I hope they do more arena shows. I always enjoy MSG but Fenway works too. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    If they are going to do an extended run in any city for more than 4 shows, than it needs to come with variety or even they will get bored by show 3 or 4. It's been almost a decade since they last "attempted" to play their entire catalog in one locale, so that would be the only way I think it works. There'd be no repeats besides a few and it would be an exhausting run of at least 6 shows; however, I think they blew the opportunity already if they will actually have a new album out before the next tour. Something like that should've happened in the last few years when they were just doing the nostalgia tours.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941

tbergs said:
    If they are going to do an extended run in any city for more than 4 shows, than it needs to come with variety or even they will get bored by show 3 or 4. It's been almost a decade since they last "attempted" to play their entire catalog in one locale, so that would be the only way I think it works. There'd be no repeats besides a few and it would be an exhausting run of at least 6 shows; however, I think they blew the opportunity already if they will actually have a new album out before the next tour. Something like that should've happened in the last few years when they were just doing the nostalgia tours.
    You'd have to counter that with the idea that a residency is to have all sorts of people come in for your shows.   You're right though.  A PJ residency would be 80% of the same people going to all the shows.   The extra dates wouldn't really allow too many more fans to see the show.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Hope we get some dates by the end of the year
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • dtr0624dtr0624 south jersey Posts: 611
    if they are going to do stadiums then these are the cities i think will be in.  This covers every major area of the country plus canada, easiest travel cities, plus maximizes profitability for the band. 9 cities, 18 shows if they do 2 nights each. 
    citizens bank park (philly) 
    citi field (nyc)
    safeco (seattle)
    Wrigley (chicago)
    fenway (boston)
    at&t park (san fran) or dodgers stadium
    rogers center (toronto)
    minute maid park (houston)
    turner field (atlanta)

2012 - MIA (Philly)
    2013 - Philly 1, philly 2, charlottesville,
    2015 - NYC (global citizen)
    2016 - Philly 1&2
    2022 - Camden
    If there's no album in 2019, they should take the nostalgia act to markets they haven't been to in a long time.
    If there's a new album in 2019, then they could hit the large markets again with some renewed energy and purpose. 
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    dtr0624 said:
    if they are going to do stadiums then these are the cities i think will be in.  This covers every major area of the country plus canada, easiest travel cities, plus maximizes profitability for the band. 9 cities, 18 shows if they do 2 nights each. 
    citizens bank park (philly) 
    citi field (nyc)
    safeco (seattle)
    Wrigley (chicago)
    fenway (boston)
    at&t park (san fran) or dodgers stadium
    rogers center (toronto)
    minute maid park (houston)
    turner field (atlanta)

I'd be fine with this!  Along with an acoustic show at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta  ;)
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    If you consider Prague, Krakow, Berlin nostalgia acts please keep the nostalgia tours coming. 
    Again...if they play a normal size tour with more dates, the "demand" for Chicago, NY, etc would be less.   Keep in mind, some people can only afford 1 or 2 shows.  So, this year, they had to choose Wrigley, Seattle, Boston, or Missoula.   And Missoula being out of the way, and only 1 show...most people had to choose Seattle, Wrigley, or Boston. 

If they played Portland, the demand for Seattle would drop slightly.  If they played Milwaukee, Detroit, or Indianapolis, the demand for Chicago would drop.   Throwing those other cities in there helps keep the demand from being too crazy.  Therefore you dont have to set up a 9 night residency anywhere.  But yeah, you could do that in NYC....because not only would the population there cover it, people would also try to fly there just to see them for that.   Sorry, NYC, you get lots of visitors in addition to your huge population. 

Leg 1
    Toronto
    Montreal
    Buffalo
    NYC
    NYC
    Boston
    Boston
    Philly
    Pittsburgh
    Columbus
    DC
    Atlanta
    Miami
    Tampa

Leg 2

Chicago 
    Chicago
    East Troy
    St Louis
    New Orleans
    Dallas
    Houston
    Denver
    Phoenix
    San Diego
    Los Angeles
    San Fransisco
    Portland
    Vancouver
    Seattle
    Seattle

But this will never happen. 

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
    PJNB said:
    If you consider Prague, Krakow, Berlin nostalgia acts please keep the nostalgia tours coming. 
    I was referring to PJ as nostalgia, not the cities.  A theoretical 2019 tour for a band in their mid 50's without an album in 6 years would probably qualify for "nostalgia" status. Many would argue that 2018 already qualifies as nostalgia. 

To clarify.....PJ is still "relevant" without an album when they are selling out stadiums and creating merchandise bedlam. But it's getting "nostalgic", to be sure. 
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Hopefully they are done with this baseball shite. Get back to arenas. 
    looking back...its been over 9 years since they last played the united center, and 7 years since Alpine Valley, WI.  (I know some other cities have not had the concerts in much longer, but just wanted to point this out, that it would probably be a decade by the time they played UC again).

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.