Nirvana reunion

2»

Comments

• reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Great song! Great name too, 'Cut Me Some Slack', that's bad ass! And, it wasn't really the media saying it was a Nirvana reunion, McCartney himself say's it before the launch into the song... Love to hear a studio version of it someday, here's hoping.
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Nirvana reunion? More like "members of Nirvana backing up Paul McCartney".
    QFT

none of the 4 musicians called it a Nirvana reunion. once again it was all media driven as was/is everything else in the world of nirvana. just so happens the 3 of 4 musicians were in nirvana, big whoop. Nirvana died when sadly Kurt died. I liked it a lot and thought SPMC sounded great with Dave, Kris and Pat.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,143
    On SNL now
    I miss igotid88
  • I may have peed a little bit
    John Roach
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    There will never be Nirvana without Kurt.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • There will never be Nirvana without Kurt.

Of course not...
    Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the Universe...
  • There will never be Nirvana without Kurt.

Yes, because the guys specifically came out and said "we've properly reformed Nirvana with a new lead singer!!" :roll: Honestly I'm stunned at the retardedly over-precious reaction by so many fellow Nirvana fans to this. They got together for Grohl's Sound City docu, jammed a new song, and got asked to play it at a benefit concert. If they also want to play it on other shows and whatever, all power to them. I'm a gigantic Nirvana fan and have absolutely no issues with this whatsoever, in fact I think the song is pretty decent.

I can only assume it's a maturity thing, I guess if I was still the obsessed 16 year old Nirvana fan I was 15 years ago, I'd be getting all protective of Kurt as well. As you get older, you realise that it's ok for things to happen. Life moves on.
  • JimNastics wrote:
    There will never be Nirvana without Kurt.

Yes, because the guys specifically came out and said "we've properly reformed Nirvana with a new lead singer!!" :roll: Honestly I'm stunned at the retardedly over-precious reaction by so many fellow Nirvana fans to this. They got together for Grohl's Sound City docu, jammed a new song, and got asked to play it at a benefit concert. If they also want to play it on other shows and whatever, all power to them. I'm a gigantic Nirvana fan and have absolutely no issues with this whatsoever, in fact I think the song is pretty decent.

I can only assume it's a maturity thing, I guess if I was still the obsessed 16 year old Nirvana fan I was 15 years ago, I'd be getting all protective of Kurt as well. As you get older, you realise that it's ok for things to happen. Life moves on.

i see it as no different than any of the other 90's or 80's bands who have reformed in the last few years. Nirvana was just more popular than any other band in the last 15-20 years thats a huge reason for it. Its the same thing with the 02 Zep gig, or people seeing AIC in 2009 when touring on Black Gives way to Blue. Those arent the real bands either. Even reunited bands who stay intact change. I saw The Pixies in 2009 or 2010 and it was such an amazing show, but lets face it, seeing them in 2010 and seeing them in 1990 would have been two wildly different experiences. Duvall isnt Layne, and Jason Bonham isnt his dad. Anyone who pretends otherwise is kidding themselves. Im sure seeing soundgarden in 2012 would be epic and alot of fun, but lets face it, they arent the same band they were in 94, nor is chris the same singer he was on the Badmotorfinger album, or even the first Audioslave album. This "reunion" was different because Dave and Krist really have moved on, have other careers, and havent jammed together much at all. I also think Dave and Krist must have been honored to play with Paul. Thats something they will treasure forever.

Kurt was a huge beatles fan. I assume Dave and Krist are as well. They played a song they all wrote together. And performed it. Pauls got his own career and albums. Dave has the Foos, and Krist is an activist. Anyone who thinks this as Nirvana getting back together has it all wrong.
  • plus, Krist and Dave have shown the utmost respect and integrity and honor reguarding Nirvana and Kurt since 1994. They've never tried to cash in, or exploit the band or Kurts memory. In fact Dave for maybe a decade or so, refused to even discuss Kurts death in a public manner. And Krist has never been a guy who's in all the tabloids or on talk shows. They've never disrespected Kurts memory or his impact on music history, and I dont view the Paul/Krist and Dave collab as disrespect either.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    It was obvious that the media would be all over this and when McCartney said that he "was in the middle of a Nirvana reunion" when he met to jam with the guys I think he was just playing up to it. Of course it's not a Nirvana reunion, it's some of the guys that recorded 'I Should Have Known' last year with Macca singing. :D

If it had been an unknown singer and they'd played a Nirvana cover it would have been different (more like the 'new' AIC) but I just saw it as a fun collaboration and I actually really like the song (and I'm not not a McCartney fan at all)

The http://www.cutmesomeslack.net/ site lists the song as

"Cut Me Some Slack"
    McCartney. Grohl. Novoselic. Smear.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • reesdog wrote:
    Great song! Great name too, 'Cut Me Some Slack', that's bad ass! And, it wasn't really the media saying it was a Nirvana reunion, McCartney himself say's it before the launch into the song... Love to hear a studio version of it someday, here's hoping.

it's on iTunes.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    reesdog wrote:

it's on iTunes.

Just downloaded it, cheers dude! :thumbup: The rest of the soundtrack looks rad too...
  • reesdog wrote:
    reesdog wrote:

it's on iTunes.

Just downloaded it, cheers dude! :thumbup: The rest of the soundtrack looks rad too...

How is the studio version? I don't have iTunes!
  • reesdog wrote:
    reesdog wrote:

it's on iTunes.

Dying to hear the collaboration with Brad Wilk / Tim C...
    Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the Universe...
    it's on iTunes.

How is the studio version? I don't have iTunes!

It's brilliant, how can you go wrong? Macca and 3/4's of Nirvana, this is a very cool song and collaboration.
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    Sounded a little like Helter Skelter to me :D
    Yes! I loved it, and was surprised that the collaboration totally made sense once I heard it. Initially I was like, hmmm...

I'm glad they did a new song and not a Nirvana song, and I also wish they wouldn't bill it as a "Nirvana reunion". Nirvana is synonymous with Kurt Cobain in my mind, so it just doesn't sit right with me. I think they should bill it as Paul McCartney with Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic and Pat Smear. Or they could come up with a kick ass name of their own :)
  • I couldn't help but notice one of you said they were dying to hear the studio version of 'Cut Me Some Slack' -- check it out: http://banana1015.com/dave-grohl-others ... m-preview/
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,143
    On amazon too
    http://amzn.to/REd5OP
    I miss igotid88
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • That was pretty fucking sweet, takes some serious balls to sing those songs, but I think both did a great job of capturing the vibe without  trying to do a straight imitation.
  • Cool as hell! All aapologies :O 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    RSD release! C'mon Dave!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    I was there at the show......seemed a bit weird to hear the songs performed after all these years with different singers.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    The idea of a Nirvana reunion just seems rather strange to me.  It would sort of be like trying to have a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers reunion. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    RSD release! C'mon Dave!
    I'm still waiting for the RRHOF after show.