Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2018
    Thanks, I was going to post this but was too lazy to start a new thread, lol. :blush:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Thank goodness this came to light in such a prompt manner and that politicians would not decide to delay such serious allegations for their own party's benefit.  Overall, I'm not sure this helps abused women out when the #MeToo is put in an "In Case of Political Emergency" glass case.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    edited September 2018
    The response is two layered. You have Kavanaigh’s reaction, and then you have the broader republican reaction. Naturally it’s getting denied and also minimized at the same time. Also interesting to hear Kelly Ann encouraging the accuser to be heard. They did the same thing with Nikki Haley. I think it the white house’s attempt to retain the support of women (however many are left at this point)
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Jason P said:
    Thank goodness this came to light in such a prompt manner and that politicians would not decide to delay such serious allegations for their own party's benefit.  Overall, I'm not sure this helps abused women out when the #MeToo is put in an "In Case of Political Emergency" glass case.
    Well, with the Team Trump Treason Administration’s stellar vetting process and record of due diligence, why is anyone surprised? Remember, it took Jared Dear Boy four tries before he got the brass ring.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Jason P said:
    The accuser came forward in July but refused to allow her name to be used until last week. Possibly the Dems should have come forward with it as an anonymous allegation, but would that have had any weight? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    edited September 2018
    Jason P said:
    The accuser came forward in July but refused to allow her name to be used until last week. Possibly the Dems should have come forward with it as an anonymous allegation, but would that have had any weight? 
    She came forward to Senator Feinstien in July.  Technically she didn't allow her name to be known until yesterday after Feinstein honored her wishes to be anonymous by letting the entire world and federal investigators have knowledge of the letter last Thursday.  

From a tactical standpoint, it is politically sound strategy with a good chance of delaying confirmation until after the November elections.  Feinstein is wagering that the MeToo environment will make a few Republicans on the edge wafer.  No one wants to risk their political career or the women's vote if the accusations do end up true, but there is no way to have 100% certainty in only a few days.  It would not have done any good from a political standpoint to release this information earlier because there would have been time to vet the accusation.

My guess is that confirmation will be delayed or their will be a tie.  

My thought is that allegations of sexual assault and (in her words) attempted murder should have come forward much sooner, ideally when the nomination was first made.  Instead they have come at the tail end of a political circus for reasons not clear (kinda clear).
  • Jason P said:
    Jason P said:
    She came forward to Senator Feinstien in July.  Technically she didn't allow her name to be known until yesterday after Feinstein honored her wishes to be anonymous by letting the entire world and federal investigators have knowledge of the letter last Thursday.  

From a tactical standpoint, it is politically sound strategy with a good chance of delaying confirmation until after the November elections.  Feinstein is wagering that the MeToo environment will make a few Republicans on the edge wafer.  No one wants to risk their political career or the women's vote if the accusations do end up true, but there is no way to have 100% certainty in only a few days.  It would not have done any good from a political standpoint to release this information earlier because there would have been time to vet the accusation.

My guess is that confirmation will be delayed or their will be a tie.  

My thought is that allegations of sexual assault and (in her words) attempted murder should have come forward much sooner, ideally when the nomination was first made.  Instead they have come at the tail end of a political circus for reasons not clear (kinda clear).
    I haven’t heard of attempted murder I have heard of attempted rape ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • So she’s willing to put her whole life under a microscope on a lie ? 

I am not saying at all she is lying.  If someone came to you though and said we need you to ruin your life so that abortion is not made illegal, would you do it?  Would you put your comfort ahead of millions of women if you were pro-choice?   I'm sure there are lots of people out there that would do anything to prevent abortion rights being overturned.  They'd view it as a civic duty or for the common good just like someone volunteering in the military knowing they could die.

Again, not saying that is what she is doing here. 

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    edited September 2018
    So she’s willing to put her whole life under a microscope on a lie ? 

I am not saying at all she is lying.  If someone came to you though and said we need you to ruin your life so that abortion is not made illegal, would you do it?  Would you put your comfort ahead of millions of women if you were pro-choice?   I'm sure there are lots of people out there that would do anything to prevent abortion rights being overturned.  They'd view it as a civic duty or for the common good just like someone volunteering in the military knowing they could die.

Maybe but there are therapists notes from years ago saying she brought it up in sessions.  Also hard to think someone would put themselves at risk of perjury for the cause.  Kavanaugh looks like the type of douche that would act like that as a stuffed shirt high brow teenager though.   I do think the Dems look bad bringing it out this late in the game.  Politics at it's worst.  It will be very interesting to see their testimonies to see if they sound believable.

That’s just it though we don’t know her stance on the abortion issue , this is dirty politics but let me just say two words ,,
    Merrick Garland 
  • pjhawks said:

Maybe but there are therapists notes from years ago saying she brought it up in sessions.  Also hard to think someone would put themselves at risk of perjury for the cause.  Kavanaugh looks like the type of douche that would act like that as a stuffed shirt high brow teenager though.   I do think the Dems look bad bringing it out this late in the game.  Politics at it's worst.  It will be very interesting to see their testimonies to see if they sound believable.
    Politics at its worst? Obama’s nominee couldn’t even get a hearing. Team Trump Treason releasing millions of documents two days before a vote? Yup, politics at its worst. Fuck the republicans and their attempt to stack a court to protect Team Trump Treason. Dems take the house and you might just see the impeachment of a Supreme Court justice for perjury before the senate Judiciary Committee.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
    pjhawks said:

It’s politics, but by no means dirty politics. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    pjhawks said:

The Supreme Court will always be "politics at its worst" as long as the 9th and potentially deciding vote is not Merrick Garland and not liberal.
    edited September 2018
    pjhawks said:

Politics at its worst? Obama’s nominee couldn’t even get a hearing. Team Trump Treason releasing millions of documents two days before a vote? Yup, politics at its worst. Fuck the republicans and their attempt to stack a court to protect Team Trump Treason. Dems take the house and you might just see the impeachment of a Supreme Court justice for perjury before the senate Judiciary Committee.
    two wrongs don't make a right. of course the republicans were assholes with Obama's nominee but that doesn't make what is going on here right either.  Look I'm a Dem and I don't want this guy in the Court either but I don't like how this came about.  The their side is worse or their side did it first is why we are in the mess politically today we are.  
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

two wrongs don't make a right. of course the republicans were assholes with Obama's nominee but that doesn't make what is going on here right either.  Look I'm a Dem and I don't want this guy in the Court either but I don't like how this came about.  The their side is worse or their side did it first is why we are in the mess politically today we are.  
    You want to know why Dems keep losing? Because they don’t wrestle in the mud with repubs. I’m tired of losing and this candidate and administration is the swamp. Until the repubs take the high road and play “nice?,” fuck them.

Brilliantati©
  • The Kavanaugh selection must all be about his views that basically presidents are above the law though, right?
    There must be a hundred qualified very conservative judges whose decisions would be 100% predictable in the GOP's direction, yet they chose someone who has perjured himself multiple times, had all that debt (gambling?) mysteriously disappear and about 90% of whose record they have had to keep hidden from the public as it is too toxic for the mainstream, all before the rape allegations.

Plus it is very confusing that his drunk loser school buddy has the last name Judge.  
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

You want to know why Dems keep losing? Because they don’t wrestle in the mud with repubs. I’m tired of losing and this candidate and administration is the swamp. Until the repubs take the high road and play “nice?,” fuck them.
    Disagree.  Going dirty will turn the Independents and Undecided's off.  Today independents and undecideds are leaning your way. The key is getting them out to vote in November. Going dirty at this moment may make them stay home which is bad for the Dems.  Remember evil wins battles but rarely the war.  Eventually good overtakes evil. 
  • pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

Disagree.  Going dirty will turn the Independents and Undecided's off.  Today independents and undecideds are leaning your way. The key is getting them out to vote in November. Going dirty at this moment may make them stay home which is bad for the Dems.  Remember evil wins battles but rarely the war.  Eventually good overtakes evil. 
    That’s if you agree that what the Dems did was dirty. It’s politics. Dirty is trying to ram a life time appointment to the Supreme Court down our throats without a proper hearing process. Had the repubs released those documents with the proper amount of time to be reviewed, maybe they wouldn’t be where they are today? And why is the burden on always on the Dems to take the high road? Look what that’s gotten us.

Brilliantati©
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

That’s if you agree that what the Dems did was dirty. It’s politics. Dirty is trying to ram a life time appointment to the Supreme Court down our throats without a proper hearing process. Had the repubs released those documents with the proper amount of time to be reviewed, maybe they wouldn’t be where they are today? And why is the burden on always on the Dems to take the high road? Look what that’s gotten us.

Because we are better people and eventually people don't want to associate with assholes.  Didn't you have a friend at one time that was an asshole?  yea is fun and funny for a bit but after awhile it gets old and you no longer want to be around them. that's what's coming in November. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

Because we are better people and eventually people don't want to associate with assholes.  Didn't you have a friend at one time that was an asshole?  yea is fun and funny for a bit but after awhile it gets old and you no longer want to be around them. that's what's coming in November. 
    I don't know. I tend to agree with halifax here. Only because hillary tried going high when they go low, and she lost. And the losing will just keep continuing if the left doesn't fight back. playing nice isn't working. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

I don't know. I tend to agree with halifax here. Only because hillary tried going high when they go low, and she lost. And the losing will just keep continuing if the left doesn't fight back. playing nice isn't working. 
    calling a portion of the electorate deplorables was going high? no matter how accurate it may or may not have been, wasnt what I would call going high.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

The GOP got dirty and was rewarded handsomely.  Independents went hard for them.  

Evil has already won the war.  Row v. Wade will be overturned in a matter of months.  Trump has full protection from the party (in what is essentially a one-party system) and now the Supreme Court.  

The truth is that it doesn't matter what this impotent party does. The Dems used to be Pepsi to the GOP Coke. Now they're RC.  Evil has every battle since the election of Obama riled them up.  And they've pretty much won the war.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    mickeyrat said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

calling a portion of the electorate deplorables was going high? no matter how accurate it may or may not have been, wasnt what I would call going high.
    no, that was a monstrous mistake on her part. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

November is a strong lean to the Dems right now.  As I said above the way to hurt yourself with Independents and Undecided's is by turning them off to the process. the majority knows the republicans are assholes right now.  if you become an asshole you can only hurt yourself in the short term.  keep them engaged.
    OnWis97 said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

The GOP got dirty and was rewarded handsomely.  Independents went hard for them.  

Evil has already won the war.  Row v. Wade will be overturned in a matter of months.  Trump has full protection from the party (in what is essentially a one-party system) and now the Supreme Court.  

The truth is that it doesn't matter what this impotent party does. The Dems used to be Pepsi to the GOP Coke. Now they're RC.  Evil has every battle since the election of Obama riled them up.  And they've pretty much won the war.

I don't think Roe v Wade will be overturned, at least not that quickly. I do think it will be made irrelevant by the host of other restrictions put on abortion, nibbling or gnawing away at choice, until there is really no practical way to access abortion for the majority of women. 
  • mickeyrat said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

Is Team Trump Treason not deplorable and by extension those folks who voted for him? It’s not like Team Trump Treason is squeaky clean and was called that. Going negative, when warranted and accurate, works. Not responding does not.

Brilliantati©
    OnWis97 said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

I don't think Roe v Wade will be overturned, at least not that quickly. I do think it will be made irrelevant by the host of other restrictions put on abortion, nibbling or gnawing away at choice, until there is really no practical way to access abortion for the majority of women. 
    I think on some issues Roberts will slide left and fill Kennedys role.

pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

November is a strong lean to the Dems right now.  As I said above the way to hurt yourself with Independents and Undecided's is by turning them off to the process. the majority knows the republicans are assholes right now.  if you become an asshole you can only hurt yourself in the short term.  keep them engaged.
    I guess I don't see opportunism the same as being unethical in politics. these types of things are timed for a very specific reason. and it works. who knows if that's what happened here, or if they finally were able to convince her to go public and it just happened to be the right time. But either way, right now is the most damaging. but you're right, a lot of people are going to question the validity of this claim, and the ethics of parading a sexual assault victim, simply because of its timing. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD