Blackie Poster/Missing Link Questions

It has been mentioned that all "Missing Link" posters came serial numbered because they were AP's.

So who actually bought one when they first came out?

Who bought one on the secondary market and when?

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    In all my years chasing the Pittsburgh poster, I've heard all different things.  Folks have reported that it came signed & numbered, just signed, and nothing at all. I've never heard anything about a serial number (unless you're referring to the standard AP style of numbering, X/###).  I honestly don't think we'll ever know the complete truth behind any of these. :i_dunno:

• I'd like to see the dates on these as I saw these on FB too.

It does say "Signed and numbered".

So who bought one directly from Missing Link?
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090

I'd like to see the dates on these as I saw these on FB too.

It does say "Signed and numbered".

So who bought one directly from Missing Link?
    A buddy of mine did - I'll get in touch and report back.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • #notofficial
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    #notofficial
    #officialnotofficialhashtag
    www.cluthelee.com
  • #notofficial
    #officialnotofficialhashtag
    #NotahashtagIwantmypoundsignback
  • @Uncle Snuffy

• Hi everyone.  Uncle Snuffy here.  As you may or may not know I am selling off my busdy’s entire collection...which inclueds the Blackie.  He purchased the poster in 2004 from its original owner who bought it from Missing Link.  I am honest and reputable.  I would never try to sell a fake or bootleg anything.  I believe you can even check my past posts on the forum referencing his poster over the years. 

I personally own a signed/numbered Blackie.  So before I listed his I did a side by side comparison.  I’m no licensed art appraiser but in my opinion the paper, ink, texture, image, etc is all correct/legit. 

i have 100% positive eBay feedback. My buddy has 100% positive eBay feedback.  We have both been PJ fans from the start and collecting since then as well.  In the future I will be listing fan club mailings from the early ‘90s.  That’s how far back he goes. 

My friend said he’d be happy to speak with anyone about the poster.  His name is Tony K.  Forum ID is bustout.   eBay id is bustout7676.  And he said he’d even be ok giving out his phone # ‭(773) 573-3238‬.  Feel free to contact him.  TK is a stand up guy and a great friend of mine.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to address any concerns you may have.  And for those of you also on Facebook please feel free to share this information over there as well.

Thanks

Uncle Snuffy 
    Soldier Field - Jul 11, 1995, Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 14, 1997,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 15, 1997, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 27, 1998, United Center - Jun 29, 1998, Riverport Amphitheatre - Jul 02, 1998, Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000, Assembly Hall - Apr 23, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003, Fox Theatre - Oct 05, 2004, United Center - May 16, 2006, United Center - May 17, 2006, United Center - Aug 23, 2009, United Center - Aug 24, 2009, Sprint Center - May 03, 2010, Scottrade Center - May 04, 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    Good luck folks!  A true grail.  I just bought an expensive WW1 poster today.  A great rush!
  • SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
    Hi everyone.  Uncle Snuffy here.  As you may or may not know I am selling off my busdy’s entire collection...which inclueds the Blackie.  He purchased the poster in 2004 from its original owner who bought it from Missing Link.  I am honest and reputable.  I would never try to sell a fake or bootleg anything.  I believe you can even check my past posts on the forum referencing his poster over the years. 

I personally own a signed/numbered Blackie.  So before I listed his I did a side by side comparison.  I’m no licensed art appraiser but in my opinion the paper, ink, texture, image, etc is all correct/legit. 

i have 100% positive eBay feedback. My buddy has 100% positive eBay feedback.  We have both been PJ fans from the start and collecting since then as well.  In the future I will be listing fan club mailings from the early ‘90s.  That’s how far back he goes. 

My friend said he’d be happy to speak with anyone about the poster.  His name is Tony K.  Forum ID is bustout.   eBay id is bustout7676.  And he said he’d even be ok giving out his phone # ‭(773) 573-3238‬.  Feel free to contact him.  TK is a stand up guy and a great friend of mine.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to address any concerns you may have.  And for those of you also on Facebook please feel free to share this information over there as well.

Thanks

Uncle Snuffy 
    I don't think I've ever bought anything from you, but I definitely would.. you seem like a stand up guy!
  • sdavissdavis Posts: 959
    I have an unsigned Blackie as well. Looks no different than the signed ones.
  • This doesn’t bode well for my ATL missing link hunt
  • I have an unsigned Pittsburgh 00
    carbon436 said:
    This doesn’t bode well for my ATL missing link hunt
    I have this one that is signed
    mmearhoff said:
    I have an unsigned Pittsburgh 00
    As do I 
  • SJD3232 said:
    Hi everyone.  Uncle Snuffy here.  As you may or may not know I am selling off my busdy’s entire collection...which inclueds the Blackie.  He purchased the poster in 2004 from its original owner who bought it from Missing Link.  I am honest and reputable.  I would never try to sell a fake or bootleg anything.  I believe you can even check my past posts on the forum referencing his poster over the years. 

Thanks

Uncle Snuffy 
    I don't think I've ever bought anything from you, but I definitely would.. you seem like a stand up guy!
    I appreciate the kind words.   This is a tight knit community.  We look out for one another.  Something you can’t say about many other groups.  I would never take advantage of anyone.  It’s not my nature.

i value my reputation and my word.  If I say I’m going to do something I follow through on it.  I believe honesty and one’s word go a long way in this world.

Take care,

Uncle Snuffy
    Soldier Field - Jul 11, 1995, Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 14, 1997,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 15, 1997, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 27, 1998, United Center - Jun 29, 1998, Riverport Amphitheatre - Jul 02, 1998, Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000, Assembly Hall - Apr 23, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003, Fox Theatre - Oct 05, 2004, United Center - May 16, 2006, United Center - May 17, 2006, United Center - Aug 23, 2009, United Center - Aug 24, 2009, Sprint Center - May 03, 2010, Scottrade Center - May 04, 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • Release EVRelease EV Posts: 1,998
    Can we have some pics. This is exciting shit. Got a grail recently but wanna check this out
  • DRintheHouseDRintheHouse Posts: 190
    edited September 2018
    SJD3232 said:
    He purchased the poster in 2004 from its original owner who bought it from Missing Link.  
    He purchased the poster in 2004 from its original owner who bought it from Missing Link.  

Sounds like you and your friend are both upstanding members of the community, and I'd not question that.  However, the sentence above is truly the "missing link" here.  Who vouches for original seller?  Who was original seller?  And if bought from "Missing Link Poster Shop", why would it not be S/N as indicated, and like other direct buyers received?  Was this after sales were halted, and on the sly?  Or could your friend have been taken advantage of, and slipped a reproduction?  Does any provenance exist for how originally acquired?  That's the unknown.  I'd love to be a buyer if comfortable with the history.  
    Post edited by DRintheHouse on
  • HH140540HH140540 Atlanta Posts: 498
    edited September 2018
    See the one on eBay for $10k?
  • SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
    SJD3232 said:
    Sounds like you and your friend are both upstanding members of the community, and I'd not question that.  However, the sentence above is truly the "missing link" here.  Who vouches for original seller?  Who was original seller?  And if bought from "Missing Link Poster Shop", why would it not be S/N as indicated, and like other direct buyers received?  Was this after sales were halted, and on the sly?  Or could your friend have been taken advantage of, and slipped a reproduction?  Does any provenance exist for how originally acquired?  That's the unknown.  I'd love to be a buyer if comfortable with the history.  
    Totally agree.  All of these would have to be answered to justify a 10k asking price. Even then, it’s about $5-6k high IMO.
  • MattchewMattchew Posts: 1,345

Thanks

Uncle Snuffy 
    Wow, thanks for sharing Uncle Snuffy!  Very cool poster!
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,379
    HH140540 said:
    See the one on eBay for $10k?
    Wow! That’s crazy?!?

How much is the one offered here?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Release EVRelease EV Posts: 1,998
    How many were released again?
  • How many were released again?
    125 supposedly.
  • How many were released again?
    125 supposedly.
    Most indications are that 20-35 made it out of the shop (based on sequence #'s people received) before sales were halted.  Unknown where the remainder ended up...
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    How many were released again?
    125 supposedly.
    Most indications are that 20-35 made it out of the shop (based on sequence #'s people received) before sales were halted.  Unknown where the remainder ended up...
    Ames either destroyed them or (more likely) put them in storage.

Never understood the fascination with these - yes, they’re rare but they aren’t official and weren’t created for the shows.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761