*** Boston, MA Fanviews Here 9/4/18 ***

Comments

• gems_n_rhinestonesgems_n_rhinestones Harrisburg, PA Posts: 379
    KC2917 said:
    Can some please, for the love of god, post a video of immortality??? 
    Not sure if you’ve already found it but there’s a great video on mfc172 channel on YouTube 
  • JDjrJDjr Posts: 69
    Amazing Fenway night. My life as a PJ fan. I have no doubt you will relate! https://www.altpress.com/features/the_9_phases_of_post_concert_depression/
    A lifer.
  • Trading StoriesTrading Stories Boston Posts: 84
    JDjr said:
    Amazing Fenway night. My life as a PJ fan. I have no doubt you will relate! https://www.altpress.com/features/the_9_phases_of_post_concert_depression/
    HAHA! 
    Do you suffer from PCD? Here are the signs and symptoms. See your physcian if these symptoms describe. There is an expensive, colorful pill that insurance won’t cover for it. 
    Side effects include nuasea, diarrhea, light headedness, and ebola. Call your doctor if your erection lasts more than 5 days. *commercial includes wealthy white retirees enjoying the outdoors* 
    But honestly, i don’t suffer from PCD. The band puts me on a high where i listen to them non stop for a few weeks.
    Hartford 9/13/98, Montreal 6/29/03, Mansfield 7/2/03 7/3/03 7/11/03, Boston 9/28/04, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08 6/30/08, Chicago 8/24/09, Boston 5/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11 9/4/11, Worcester 10/15 10/16, Hartford 10/25 Fenway 1&2 EV - Boston 8/1 8/2, Albany 8/6
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    I also want to add I was pleasantly surprised with can’t deny me. I’m nit a fan at all of the song and when it started I was disappointed but because it’s so  short I figured what the hell. But it was pretty heavy live and I absolutely dug it. Still don’t like the song but it is miles better live. 
  • JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    edited September 2018
    DL136722 said:
    Teasing Dirty Frank is one thing then to play Dirty Water instead is a straight kick in the nuts! Show was incredible but that sucked no doubt about it!

It was an incredible show but I enjoyed night one a bit more, Present Tense and Tremor Christ plus I Won't Back Down just did it for me.

I'm from Boston, I really don't like the chessy songs that are synonymous with Boston like Dirty Water, Sweet Caroline and Shipping Up to Boston just to name a few, so corny it's ridiculous.  Watching them play Dirty Water was painful and yes I'm still butt hurt about it and will be for a while!  I mean, let's be honest, who the hell wants to hear Dirty Water instead of Dirty Frank? Not one fucking person with a brain would make that decision, yup, still pissed! 
    Hey man I’m just takin bout dirty water.  

Yeah doesn’t  work 
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • its definitely interesting to see all the love for night 2.  i feel like i'm missing something.  I have seen a lot of posts about the crowd/ energy on night 2, but i didn;t see that.  seemed slightly less than night 1, but still good.   i guess that what makes this band so great though.   different strokes for different folks.   for me, night 1 with sometimes/ release, patriot, present tense, tremor, and even black, corduroy,and daughter (versus betterman and jeremy as the popular tunes).  Only negative on night 1 was the fat guy next to me that yelled every lyric, and told ed to "shut up and sing" when he talked about global warming (while clearly missing the irony of yelling out the lyrics "Styrofoam garbage for the ozone layer"). The sound was way off on night 2, but i'm wondering if that is just due to where you sit?   I never thought i'd go two nights without footsteps, and could've traded the random covers for ones like comfortably numb, but all in all, i'm grateful for the experience, and clearly just nitpicking :-)
  • LCLC North Andover, MA Posts: 253
    kruesch said:
    its definitely interesting to see all the love for night 2.  i feel like i'm missing something.  I have seen a lot of posts about the crowd/ energy on night 2, but i didn;t see that.  seemed slightly less than night 1, but still good.   i guess that what makes this band so great though.   different strokes for different folks.   for me, night 1 with sometimes/ release, patriot, present tense, tremor, and even black, corduroy,and daughter (versus betterman and jeremy as the popular tunes).  Only negative on night 1 was the fat guy next to me that yelled every lyric, and told ed to "shut up and sing" when he talked about global warming (while clearly missing the irony of yelling out the lyrics "Styrofoam garbage for the ozone layer"). The sound was way off on night 2, but i'm wondering if that is just due to where you sit?   I never thought i'd go two nights without footsteps, and could've traded the random covers for ones like comfortably numb, but all in all, i'm grateful for the experience, and clearly just nitpicking :-)
    Agreed.  I went with basically the same group of people to both shows and I was the only one that preferred night 1.  Seems to be the same sentiment here in the reviews.  Don't get me wrong, great two days of shows with only 5 repeats...but I'd take Night 1.
    8-29-00 Mansfield, 6-29-03 Montreal, 7-2-03 Mansfield, 7-3-03 Mansfield, 7-11-03, Mansfield, 9-28-04 Boston, 9-29-04 Boston, 10-8-04 Kissimmee, 9-15-05 Montreal, 9-16-05 Ottawa, 5-12-06 Albany, 5-13-06 Hartford, 5-24-06 Boston, 5-25-06 Boston, 6-28-08, Mansfield, 6-30-08 Mansfield, 5-15-10 Hartford, 5-17-10 Boston, 7-19-13 Chicago, 10-15-13 Worcester, 5-2-16 New York City, 8-5-16 Boston, 8-7-16 Boston
    EV- 2008, 2011 Boston
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    kruesch said:
    its definitely interesting to see all the love for night 2.  i feel like i'm missing something.  I have seen a lot of posts about the crowd/ energy on night 2, but i didn;t see that.  seemed slightly less than night 1, but still good.   i guess that what makes this band so great though.   different strokes for different folks.   for me, night 1 with sometimes/ release, patriot, present tense, tremor, and even black, corduroy,and daughter (versus betterman and jeremy as the popular tunes).  Only negative on night 1 was the fat guy next to me that yelled every lyric, and told ed to "shut up and sing" when he talked about global warming (while clearly missing the irony of yelling out the lyrics "Styrofoam garbage for the ozone layer"). The sound was way off on night 2, but i'm wondering if that is just due to where you sit?   I never thought i'd go two nights without footsteps, and could've traded the random covers for ones like comfortably numb, but all in all, i'm grateful for the experience, and clearly just nitpicking :-)

You haven't heard the crowd was much more "alive" N2?

PJ always puts on a tremendous show, but the unfortunate downside of changing setlists is fans seem to have the need to say certain shows are epic, and typically those are the shows with more covers. Doesn't make any sense, to me at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03xLa-i1OGU

Obviously not from N2... the setlist N1 was on an entirely different level. Damn those fans were snoozing.

It seems Many in the community think more covers are better, which is may be the strangest thing I can recall from any band's fanbase
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    kruesch said:

PJ always puts on a tremendous show, but the unfortunate downside of changing setlists is fans seem to have the need to say certain shows are epic, and typically those are the shows with more covers. Doesn't make any sense, to me at least.

Obviously not from N2... the setlist N1 was on an entirely different level. Damn those fans were snoozing.

It seems Many in the community think more covers are better, which is may be the strangest thing I can recall from any band's fanbase
    Arma Aloft, Taillights Fade, and Dirty Water probably was the quietest the crowd were all night imo. The number of covers have nothing to do with energy from the crowd. Look at Fenway night 1 and night 2 in 2016 for example. 
  • PJNB said:
    kruesch said:

Arma Aloft, Taillights Fade, and Dirty Water probably was the quietest the crowd were all night imo. The number of covers have nothing to do with energy from the crowd. Look at Fenway night 1 and night 2 in 2016 for example. 
    no, i agree.  but throw in cordouroy instead of arms aloft, and you keep the energy going instead of cutting it off.   my point was a cover like CN, with a vicious solo by mike is different than a second taillights fade cover.   nevertheless, i just didn't see/ feel some major energetical difference on night 2.   i was in the grandstand both night, so had a good view of the floor.  crowd seemed livelier N1
    edited September 2018
    kruesch said:
    PJNB said:
    kruesch said:

no, i agree.  but throw in cordouroy instead of arms aloft, and you keep the energy going instead of cutting it off.   my point was a cover like CN, with a vicious solo by mike is different than a second taillights fade cover.   nevertheless, i just didn't see/ feel some major energetical difference on night 2.   i was in the grandstand both night, so had a good view of the floor.  crowd seemed livelier N1
    Cordouroy instead Arms Aloft would have been a great switch. Not sure what the thought behind putting AA in that hotspot other than getting the "Fenway Park" lyric change in there I guess. Dirty Water was such a miss for me especially with our area since we were so excited for Dirty Frank and then were so low when Dirty Water started. I do not even remember Dirty Water being played to be honest.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    I thought release was not even the loudest singlalong N1..I recall alive and black were, the usuals.

For me, tremor and present are like a three pointer from the upper deck as far as getting two songs they play once in a while.

Also love red mos and immortality from N2, almost as much.

For me, it's their deeper dive tunes that differentiates this band as so special...not necessarily their rareties.

But I also get really confused reading, for example, about fans raving about Seattle N2 (as well as fenway N2) and I see they played nine covers. Nine? I'd be almost bored.

It's all fun and tremendous to have them still around. I just wish they liked touring the US a tiny bit more.

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited September 2018
    I thought release was not even the loudest singlalong N1..I recall alive and black were, the usuals.

For me, tremor and present are like a three pointer from the upper deck as far as getting two songs they play once in a while.

Also love red mos and immortality from N2, almost as much.

For me, it's their deeper dive tunes that differentiates this band as so special...not necessarily their rareties.

But I also get really confused reading, for example, about fans raving about Seattle N2 (as well as fenway N2) and I see they played nine covers. Nine? I'd be almost bored.

It's all fun and tremendous to have them still around. I just wish they liked touring the US a tiny bit more.

Your confusion about the raves for Seattle N2 are understandable if you are purely judging on setlist. The mistake you make is thinking you can judge the "epic-ness" of a show on ONLY the setlist. 

You do sound kind of determined or insistent on disliking shows in direct proportion to how many covers are played, so maybe if you'd actually been at Seattle 2 you still would've been bored.

But read the reviews. It's like Fenway 2, 2016 or Charlottesville 2013: you can tell by the consistent shock and awe "WTF just happened??!!" reactions that some shows are experienced by a majority of the crowd as something outrageously special. 

And even though every fan's experience is equally important,  you gotta notice when people who've been to 30, 40, 70, 90 Pearl Jam shows have their minds blown beyond description.  That does not happen in great numbers for most shows.

If you don't get that more goes into the secret formula of "epic magic-ness" than just the setlist for most people, your loss.

But hope you get setlists you love next time and have your own magic, even if you don't get everyone else's magical experiences. But you can read, so hopefully you understand the #s of people at Seattle 2 whose "Wow factor meters" exploded and no longer function because of that awesome show. And the energy from some of the covers is just one of MANY factors in that.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • This was my favorite show since PJ20. Setlist was right in my wheelhouse. My view was good. The people around me were cool. Great, great show. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • C D NC D N Posts: 29

Street level, is where it's @. The Arena is where it's @.  baseball stadiums rule when the infield can be covered with sheathing.

I can't believe that tease. The guy beside me was in tears of joy when it started jumping around like a madman. Kind of like I did when Out Of My Mind was played so I know how he was feeling. Then fucking Dirty Water starts. The air around us deflated and I honestly do not even remember that song being played. I just felt bad for the dude as you could tell he actually was dying to hear it. Why did they do us like that lol!  
  • CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,225
    edited September 2018
    I know this is not the majority's opinion...but I liked the 9/2 show a lot more than 9/4. I liked the set list better--my highlights were: opening with Sometimes, Release, Daughter with It's OK tag--yessss!!!, Lukin, Present Tense, Tremor Christ, Blood, Out of my Mind!!! Also, the weather was amazing and I was with my best friend. I felt like the band sounded tighter/better on night 1, too.  I felt like they rushed a little through some songs on night 2.

Loved Night 1 and Night 2 was great but Night 1 for me was THE BEST show I have seen PJ play in 18 shows since ‘94. All the bitching about scratched out songs in this thread is disappointing. I was of course wanting them to come out earlier / play longer but so what. Waiting til dark to come out and open the show was awesome. They took super quick breaks on night 1. Lots of momentum. Night 2 included more jamming, totally different set list than night 1. So good. Such an amazing couple of shows and enjoyed the house of blues on Monday as well. Loved Boston and PJ put it all out there. Classic PJ!
    Post edited by CO278952 on
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    PJNB said:
    I can't believe that tease. The guy beside me was in tears of joy when it started jumping around like a madman. Kind of like I did when Out Of My Mind was played so I know how he was feeling. Then fucking Dirty Water starts. The air around us deflated and I honestly do not even remember that song being played. I just felt bad for the dude as you could tell he actually was dying to hear it. Why did they do us like that lol!  
    I booed loudly 
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    PJNB said:
    Could they have picked a worse song to play after that incredibly mean tease!!!
  • CO278952 said:
    I know this is not the majority's opinion...but I liked the 9/2 show a lot more than 9/4. I liked the set list better--my highlights were: opening with Sometimes, Release, Daughter with It's OK tag--yessss!!!, Lukin, Present Tense, Tremor Christ, Blood, Out of my Mind!!! Also, the weather was amazing and I was with my best friend. I felt like the band sounded tighter/better on night 1, too.  I felt like they rushed a little through some songs on night 2.

Loved Night 1 and Night 2 was great but Night 1 for me was THE BEST show I have seen PJ play in 18 shows since ‘94. All the bitching about scratched out songs in this thread is disappointing. I was of course wanting them to come out earlier / play longer but so what. Waiting til dark to come out and open the show was awesome. They took super quick breaks on night 1. Lots of momentum. Night 2 included more jamming, totally different set list than night 1. So good. Such an amazing couple of shows and enjoyed the house of blues on Monday as well. Loved Boston and PJ put it all out there. Classic PJ!
    Yep same here.  Night 1 all the way. 
  • acromleyacromley NJ, USA Posts: 7
    edited September 2018
    AMAZING JUST AMAZING!! Band was tight, crowd was on point, WOW the song selection!!

Dirty Frank tease was evil hahaha... although I mixed up the Life Wasted organ intro for LBC so I got teased as well.

Red Mosquito, Smile, Thumbing, CRAZY MARY BOOOMMM SOLO
    So much more energy than the first nignt IMO. Came out hitting with GTF and never stopped. loved the energy of  Animal.  What a way to uplift a start!

Agree with OceansJenny, Dirty Frank was mean, and I also thought we were getting LBC.  Was hoping for it for weeks. Would have been extra special having shook Boom's hand the night before at the Union Oyster House. But Crazy Mary was just spot on! Thanks Boom!

The highlight of the night for me was the first encore rap.   I was able to attend the show with my mother.  We met for the first time this past June after nearly 48 years.  Thanks to a misjudgment by my friend and I, we wound up with an extra set of tickets for the second show.  These tickets were purchased before I had even identified my mother. Our connection to, through, and with music has been an absolutely amazing span of space and time.  Thanks, Eddie, for sharing our news with all of Pearl Jam Nation.  Thumbing My Way and Smile were priceless for both of us.  This band and their music have meant so much to me over the past few years, helping me through trials and tribulations, guiding me in my rise from dark times to the penultimate joy of my and my mother's lives.  Thanks to all of the Pearl Jam community!

Peace!
    Post edited by acromley on
    "I'm still alive!"
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die,
    the in between is mine."

'16 MSG 2
    '16 Fenway 1
    '18 Fenway 1
    '18 Fenway 2
  • i dont mind, fly about 14 hours to be there...great gig, thanks sultan dude TC member for the tix. Only unhappy because beer stand closed by 30 minutes before curfew
    Santiago I 2005
    Santiago II 2005
    West Palm Beach 2008
    Alpine Valley PJ20 I 2011
    Alpine Valley PJ 20 II 2011
    Santiago 2011
    Lima 2011
    Buenos Aires 2013
    Brooklyn I 2013
    Brooklyn II 2013
    Santiago 2015
    Bogota 2015
    Ft Lauderdale 2016
    Miami 2016
    Rio de Janeiro 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    Both nights were really great rock concerts. N1 had a random fun vibe. N2 had the abundance of energy and almost felt more like a big ass campfire in a sense. The opening trio of GTF, Animal, and Save You was brilliant. Even Lightining Bolt had a strong urgency about it. Sound was better for me N2 in B153. Ed, like N1, was perfect in the mix, and was strong and clear all night. The guitars were much more prominent in N2 than N1 for me. In a way I thought the set flow felt almost extra jammy and almost folky in a way.

Musically it was pretty tight throughout but not as tight as N1, based off memory. Comatose for example was a little off, as were the lyrics in Life Wasted. But they were still a lot of fun. Having Go late in set was powerful. The Buffalo Tom cover was epic both nights too. I’m glad to have got it because it had a good feel, melodic. The park looked stunning during Imagine and was ridiculously bright! Solidifying that campfire vibe I had felt early on around the time Red Mosquito was played.

Its tricky to pick a favorite between the two nights. They complement one another incredibly well and will make an awesome bootleg combo. Hot, but beautiful weather both nights, cool setlists, good crowds, EVs vocals in great shape, musically tight, and just wonderful times in the 2 Fenway gigs! 
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • PorchgirlCOPorchgirlCO Colorado Posts: 1,375
    JP218404 said:
    JH6056 said:
    JP218404 said:
    JH6056 said:
    Back at work now and missing the show experience! Night 1 was a blast and night 2 was just killer for me. My section was completely rocking out and even met a guy next to me from my town as well! It was very emotional and just so much fun! Dirty Frank would have put it over the top, but oh well. I just think back to Ed's speech about congregating and having this connection and knowing it won't last forever, it'll end one day. So each show I attend I try to really enjoy it for what it is. We are all so lucky to have this band and the fan community! It's truly unique! 

What a weekend! Enjoying the memories and starting to hope for that next tour!
    Thank you, that is beautifully said.  I think of that and Ed's very real tears and yeah... we are all so lucky to have them, the magic of these shows, and each other as fellow fans!
    I had tears when they stopped playing Dirty frank.  THAT WASN'T COMMUNITY!!!!  
    LOL!  Fair point, ok, I guess PJ are like your mostly cool but sometimes TOO mischievious girlfriend/boyfriend...  That whole Dirty Deeds Dirty Frank was evil.  I give you that!  But it takes COMMUNITY for all of us to HEAL!!!

GROUP HUG EVERYONE!!!  DFA meeting convening now... (Dirty Franks Anonymous)
    HI, my name is John and I'm a Dirty Frank  tease survivor.  but serious, show was a lot of fun
    So funny!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Orlando 4/24/92 & 8/23/92, Miami 3/28/94, Ft Laud 10/7/96, Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Missoula 9/30/12, EV Jax 11/24/12 & 11/25/12, Chicago (Wrigley) 7/19/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Tulsa 10/8/14, Lincoln 10/9/14, Denver 10/22/14, Jacksonville 4/12/16, Greenville 4/16/16, Telluride 7/9/16, Boston (Fenway) 8/5/16 & 8/7/16, Seattle (Safeco) 8/10/18, Boston (Fenway) 9/2/18 & 9/4/18, Dana Point 10/1/21 & 10/2/21, MSG 9/11/22, Denver 9/22/22, Austin 9/18/23 & 9/19/23.
  • oomm053oomm053 Posts: 7
    edited September 2018
    Loved the driving start to night 2. 1) Given to Fly. Here we go. 2) Animal. Alright !!! 3) Save You. Oh Yeah!!! 4) Arms Aloft. Oh No...… And then the "in Fenway Park" insertion. There was a palpable deflation of energy throughout the park. I don't want to come off as a spoiled and entitled brat, but I can't help but think what the place would have done if they had instead ripped into Last Exit, Brain of J, or given the political climate, Grievance or Insignificance. However, I still consider myself very lucky to have been there. Maybe Arms Aloft would have been better placed later in the set.
    Post edited by oomm053 on
  • anez_98anez_98 Posts: 158
    I feel like I'm the only who loves Arms Aloft. Great song! Was happy to hear it!