*** Boston, MA Fanviews Here 9/4/18 ***

Comments

• OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    LC said:
    Comatose sounded off as it was slowed down...which is odd because 95% of their album songs are sped up live.
    YES!! Can we get slowed down/heavier SOLAT and Even Flow and faster Comatose please?  Thank god they haven’t slowed down MYM yet.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    RD81760 said:
    I love that both shows were exactly the same length and basically the same start time and the first show got bashed and the second show was amazing...
    Agree - but they didn’t cross of songs due to lack of time N2. And due to N1, we expected a later start time on N2.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • RD81760RD81760 Posts: 122
    RD81760 said:
    I love that both shows were exactly the same length and basically the same start time and the first show got bashed and the second show was amazing...
    Agree - but they didn’t cross of songs due to lack of time N2. And due to N1, we expected a later start time on N2.
    I get it I was there, if we didn't see the setlist we'd never know and they played the same # of songs. I was there... was it annoying that it was late, yeah... but I anticipated a 6;30 start mean 7:30 so didn't let it bother me that's all

• NDJeff7NDJeff7 Posts: 204
    While they didn't cross off songs from N2....Know Your Rights, Unthought Known and Evolution were all on the set list but just didnt get played.
  • These guys know how to party! Never had so much fun in my life. Thank you Pearl Jam, Thank you Ten Club. Amazing shows! I loved seeing Bill Janovitz up there too. Growing up in the Boston area, I'm a big fan of Buffalo Tom. They're a great band and they've had a huge part in the Hot Stove Cool Music charity shows that Ed has participated in. My only complaint about anything regarding these shows is that for a brief moment I was compelled to do the Macarena. What these guys can do with music is absolutely remarkable. Can't wait to hear what they do next in the studio!!!
  • wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346

What an amazing weekend this was, both shows were great but night 2 just blew it out of the water. From the first notes of GTF to seeing people standing with their hands over their hearts during the national anthem just an fucking amazing night. 

And to our friends who won the lottery and being front row center, it made us all smile!!! And the damn glitter is still on us. Hahaha

NYPJ!!!! 

NYPJ
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    I didn't attend night one, merely watched it on the various live streams. I enjoyed this show immensely, though I enjoy all of their shows. This was my 30th (33rd if you count three that I stood outside and heard all of it) and while I wasn't close in terms of turf seating, I was close enough in one of the field boxes about two rows off the field, so it was nice to have a padded seat with a cup holder etc. That being said, I knew something good was up when they open with Given to Fly. The Dirty Frank thing was amusing too and Eddie's comments before life wasted were poignant. I took very few pictures and video, maybe one or two at the start and a few when they put the lights up.  All in All, I enjoyed myself, plus any show where I can walk to and from where I'm staying is always a plus.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • fyi everyone. that was not orpheum lyrics on immortality. if no one else noticed? ( and i'm shocked you didn't)  it seemed to be new combo lyrics.... " i won't die to live"  at the end.  second verse is not the same.  ed says " we're gonna try this one a little different"  before he starts  it was amazing!!!!  such a positive vibe!!!!
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    goatsper said:
    fyi everyone. that was not orpheum lyrics on immortality. if no one else noticed? ( and i'm shocked you didn't)  it seemed to be new combo lyrics.... " i won't die to live"  at the end.  second verse is not the same.  ed says " we're gonna try this one a little different"  before he starts  it was amazing!!!!  such a positive vibe!!!!
    I did notice that. Any lyrics they use for that song I love.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • goatsper said:
    fyi everyone. that was not orpheum lyrics on immortality. if no one else noticed? ( and i'm shocked you didn't)  it seemed to be new combo lyrics.... " i won't die to live"  at the end.  second verse is not the same.  ed says " we're gonna try this one a little different"  before he starts  it was amazing!!!!  such a positive vibe!!!!
    I nerdily compared the lyrics from Orpheum to the video from N2 and noticed the same thing. It almost seemed to me like he took the Orpheum lyrics (which are hard to totally figure out, with Ed's garbled singing) and adapted them to make them a bit more positive. Feels a lot like his adaptation of Alive into a positive song ("We're all still alive!") as he's aged. When he first wrote the lyrics, he was mourning Cobain and it shows. 24 years later, he's able to honor those lyrics and also put a positive spin on them. Pretty freaking awesome.
    Pearl Jam: 9/4/00 7/1/03 5/30/06 6/22/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 8/23/09 8/24/09 10/28/09 10/31/09 5/20/10 10/15/13 8/7/16 9/2/18 9/4/18 9/5/23 9/7/23

Eddie Vedder: 6/15/09 6/16/11
  • Back at work now and missing the show experience! Night 1 was a blast and night 2 was just killer for me. My section was completely rocking out and even met a guy next to me from my town as well! It was very emotional and just so much fun! Dirty Frank would have put it over the top, but oh well. I just think back to Ed's speech about congregating and having this connection and knowing it won't last forever, it'll end one day. So each show I attend I try to really enjoy it for what it is. We are all so lucky to have this band and the fan community! It's truly unique! 

What a weekend! Enjoying the memories and starting to hope for that next tour!
  • Back at work now and missing the show experience! Night 1 was a blast and night 2 was just killer for me. My section was completely rocking out and even met a guy next to me from my town as well! It was very emotional and just so much fun! Dirty Frank would have put it over the top, but oh well. I just think back to Ed's speech about congregating and having this connection and knowing it won't last forever, it'll end one day. So each show I attend I try to really enjoy it for what it is. We are all so lucky to have this band and the fan community! It's truly unique! 

Nicely said!
    2013 Chicago: Wrigley Field
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited September 2018
    RD81760 said:
    I didn't expect a later start time N2, I expected an EARLIER start time, exactly because of what happened N1.  And they didn't literally cross them out, but I sure see Leatherman, Know Your Rights, Do the Evolution and Unthought Known on there, which were not played, so that's 4 songs crossed off for all intents and purposes that could have been played if they went on just 20 min earlier, which would have still be an hour after the announced start time of 6:30.  Well, maybe with KYR in parentheses that was always a "If we can do it..." but the other 3 were "crossed off".

All that said, I do like that it's a close call for which show was best, since I agree the setlist overall was better N1 this time around.  But N2 was better in every other way and the audience energy was off the chain!

Still very lucky and grateful to have been there for both <3 
    Post edited by JH6056 on
    Back at work now and missing the show experience! Night 1 was a blast and night 2 was just killer for me. My section was completely rocking out and even met a guy next to me from my town as well! It was very emotional and just so much fun! Dirty Frank would have put it over the top, but oh well. I just think back to Ed's speech about congregating and having this connection and knowing it won't last forever, it'll end one day. So each show I attend I try to really enjoy it for what it is. We are all so lucky to have this band and the fan community! It's truly unique! 

Thank you, that is beautifully said.  I think of that and Ed's very real tears and yeah... we are all so lucky to have them, the magic of these shows, and each other as fellow fans!
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    edited September 2018
    RD81760 said:

Because on 9/2 the Fenway comparable was 2016 which started earlier and ended later

By 7pm on 9/4, your expectations were already lowered re show length.

The only bashing was the band telling us an absurdly early start time, then starting later than both 2016 shows, and the curfew was earlier as well.

Without hesitation I'll take the N1 opening five songrun ( Ed's brilliance bringing the set up gradually) plus Present and Tremor over anything played N2, w/ perhaps a h/t to red mos and immortality. Fans were singing way too loud both nights ';-).

Plus two extra covers N2, not even close.

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    JH6056 said:
    Back at work now and missing the show experience! Night 1 was a blast and night 2 was just killer for me. My section was completely rocking out and even met a guy next to me from my town as well! It was very emotional and just so much fun! Dirty Frank would have put it over the top, but oh well. I just think back to Ed's speech about congregating and having this connection and knowing it won't last forever, it'll end one day. So each show I attend I try to really enjoy it for what it is. We are all so lucky to have this band and the fan community! It's truly unique! 

Thank you, that is beautifully said.  I think of that and Ed's very real tears and yeah... we are all so lucky to have them, the magic of these shows, and each other as fellow fans!
    I had tears when they stopped playing Dirty frank.  THAT WASN'T COMMUNITY!!!!  
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
    JP218404 said:
    JH6056 said:

LOL!  Fair point, ok, I guess PJ are like your mostly cool but sometimes TOO mischievious girlfriend/boyfriend...  That whole Dirty Deeds Dirty Frank was evil.  I give you that!  But it takes COMMUNITY for all of us to HEAL!!!

GROUP HUG EVERYONE!!!  DFA meeting convening now... (Dirty Franks Anonymous)
    JH6056 said:
    JP218404 said:
    JH6056 said:

LOL!  Fair point, ok, I guess PJ are like your mostly cool but sometimes TOO mischievious girlfriend/boyfriend...  That whole Dirty Deeds Dirty Frank was evil.  I give you that!  But it takes COMMUNITY for all of us to HEAL!!!

GROUP HUG EVERYONE!!!  DFA meeting convening now... (Dirty Franks Anonymous)
    HI, my name is John and I'm a Dirty Frank  tease survivor.  but serious, show was a lot of fun
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • LT150045LT150045 Williamsport, PA Posts: 22
    Made it to both nights with my 13 year old daughter.  It was an EPIC Father/Daughter trip.  The shows were great.  It was my first show since 1995 and her first PJ show.  I can't do the pit like we did in the 90's but I dam sure am on my feet jamming out the entire shows.  This past weekend will be a great memory for both of us.  Thanks PJ and thanks Boston.  Till next time!
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    JP218404 said:
    Darn good shows. Random ramblings:

First off.... fuck Ed for teasing Dirty Frank that long and then smirking and shaking his head “no no” when they stopped. I honestly thought it was happening. 

No idea who Buffalo Tom was, and didn’t need two nights of the same song when most people had no idea who he was. Although the song was good. 

Ed seemed to ramble on a lot this weekend... much more than usual. Kinda strange but whatever. 

The repeats and covers are honestly starting to become concerning. There’s no reason to cover and repeat that many songs over a two night span. Especially one where you know most people are hitting both. This is a part where they are really losing their edge over the last few years to me. Starting to debate seeing both nights of a double header out of town for the first time. 

Finally got Thumbing after a goddamn decade and almost 30 shows. 

Lots of Riot Act/Avocado night 2 which I loved. 

Don’t think I’ve ever heard a double Daughter tag. WMA and It’s OK... by far my two favorite tags. 

Not even close.... most badass version of Patriot I’ve ever heard. 

Ed legit cried before Wasted Reprise.... didn’t see that coming. 

And last but not least.... best cities/crowds to see the boys in still remains Philly>NYC>Boston/Chicago>everywhere else. 

Let’s hope for a full tour soon.
    How is 4 repeats over 2 shows a lot for them? You know 3 that are always going  to happen
     (alive , porch and evenflow). You’re good to get like 15-20 unique songs to each show at worst which is basically a set for most bands. Covers are more an issue than repeats imo. 

as far as buffalo tom, it was amazing to see Bill on stage with them. It’s their tribute to Boston. J from Dino jr, Aerosmith in the past. Buffalo tom is a band they never got their due and was great to see. Bill looked so happy. Was happy he came out with them again as I only went to N2.

And we were done dirty by the dirty frank tease. 
    Yeah Taillights Fade was great both nights...I was a little surprised to see the repeat night 2 but still great.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • The Dirty Frank tease was even more insulting considering they went from there into Dirty Water. 
    I would have taken Ole or Last Kiss over Dirty Water, but what’s done is done. 

(At least it wasn’t Sweet Caroline) 
  • tickiticki Posts: 25
    I was hoping that Liz Phair was going to come out when they mentioned her on N1....
  • So was at both shows and they just killed it both nights.  Plus, watching the best band on the planet jam out in the cathedral of Fenway Park....well, it just doesn't get any better than that!  On a side note, just want to share that for the first time ever I got burned on fake tickets.  I've purchased everything from other PJ tickets to Sox World Series tickets off CL in the past without issue.   Before the shamming begins I did what I thought was appropriate due diligence and absolutely had no red flags leading up to the shows.  The scammer was so diabolical that he actually kept in touch up until the day of the show telling me to enjoy the view from A4, Row 3.  I know fakes have gotten good over the years but I still don't know how he managed to toss me the tickets from the presale that were actually sent from MLB and the Red Sox.  The complexity of this scam is mind blowing and in retrospect I definitely never thought I was someone that could get scammed.  With that, here's the interesting thing though.  When the ticket wouldn't scan at the gate, they brought us into the park so a little window where the guy was planning on printing them to see if that worked.  When he looked them up and informed us he had bad news he kept the paper tickets and took the next in line.  Nobody escorted us out...it was actually like he delivered the bad news and winked and looked the other way.  Weird for sure.  We debated for a few minutes on exiting and picking up legit tickets but being that I was so stunned and for a short period lost faith in humanity and the numerous scalpers I knew were just outside the gate In the end we just stayed in the park and as I remembered all the empty seats near the dugouts we grudgingly parked ourselves over there.  Was the view good?  Nope.  But for 2.5 hours we rocked out with our favorite band and at the end of the night were able to laugh at what had happened.  Faith in humanity was restored and Ed and the guys had everything to do with it!  
    ticki said:
    I was hoping that Liz Phair was going to come out when they mentioned her on N1....
    Next shows we need Frank Black, Evan Dando or Liz Phair
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • http://community.pearljam.com/post/quote/276756/Comment_6804252

Man, what a great shot!  So jealous of you guys who were so close.  

anez_98 said:
    This sums up the evening for me. 

My seats weren’t super close, but decent view of the whole venue - couldn’t hear the crowd the same way many described.  But I just LOVED the whole show, and had a total blast.  The set list was phenomenal.  I will keep crossing my fingers to win the lottery as a high member # to get in the front rows at some point.  Met some really nice people and had the time of my life.  Huge THANK YOU TO THE BAND and everyone at 10C for making it all happen.  Rock on, and until next tour, thank goodness for You Tube!  Also looking forward to the bootleg. 
  • Totally agree about YouTube! Was trying to search out as many songs as possible last night!

LOL about being a Dirty Frank tease survivor. I truly lost my shit when I heard the opening riffs and then questioned my sanity after Dirty Water started.  Was glad to know I actually heard the riff as opposed to imagining it!  Well said before, we can all heal together!
    Sweet Caroline for Fenway 2020!  Off to hashtag it now!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,172
    JP218404 said:
    ticki said:
    Next shows we need Frank Black, Evan Dando or Liz Phair

Not Evan Dando.

Frank Black would complete the 80's Amherst trifecta. Mascis-Janovitz-Black.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • I know this is not the majority's opinion...but I liked the 9/2 show a lot more than 9/4. I liked the set list better--my highlights were: opening with Sometimes, Release, Daughter with It's OK tag--yessss!!!, Lukin, Present Tense, Tremor Christ, Blood, Out of my Mind!!! Also, the weather was amazing and I was with my best friend. I felt like the band sounded tighter/better on night 1, too.  I felt like they rushed a little through some songs on night 2.
    8/7/92, 4/12/94,10/2/96,9/15/98, 8/29/00,8/30/00,10/28/00,4/8/03,4/29/03, 7/2/03, 7/3/03, 7/11/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/25/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/20/10, 9/7/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/25/13, 12/6/13, 4/8/16, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 5/6/22, 5/7/22
  • DL136722DL136722 Not sure... Posts: 635
    Teasing Dirty Frank is one thing then to play Dirty Water instead is a straight kick in the nuts! Show was incredible but that sucked no doubt about it!

It was an incredible show but I enjoyed night one a bit more, Present Tense and Tremor Christ plus I Won't Back Down just did it for me.

I'm from Boston, I really don't like the chessy songs that are synonymous with Boston like Dirty Water, Sweet Caroline and Shipping Up to Boston just to name a few, so corny it's ridiculous.  Watching them play Dirty Water was painful and yes I'm still butt hurt about it and will be for a while!  I mean, let's be honest, who the hell wants to hear Dirty Water instead of Dirty Frank? Not one fucking person with a brain would make that decision, yup, still pissed! 
    Tweeter Center - Aug 29, 2000;Tweeter Center - Aug 30, 2000;Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000;Pepsi Arena - Apr 29, 2003;Bryce-Jordan Center - May 03, 2003;Bell Center - Jun 29, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 05, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 06, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 08, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003;TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006;TD Banknorth Garden - May 25, 2006;Fleet Center - Sept 28, 2004;Fleet Center - Sept 29, 2004;Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 New England Dodge Music Arena - May 13, 2006;Grant Park - Aug 05, 2007;Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008;Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008 XL Arena - May 15, 2010;TD Garden - May 17, 2010;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sept 03, 2011;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011 Corel Centre - Sep 16, 2005;Colisee Pepsi Arena - Sep 20, 2005; Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 15, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 16, 2013; Fenway Park - August 5, 2016; Fenway Park - August 7, 2016

Oh Dude!