Kaepernick

Comments

• No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    I love all the people now calling out Nike for their issues (pay issues, discrimination etc). Where was this vitriol prior to this add campaign?

Facts are if you are wearing/buying any of the major sports brands, there is a high chance that the company has had some policy/legal/ company issues - ALL major corporations do, and so do governments

If you don't like the ad, don't buy their products - simple

As for the whole Anthem issue, very few give a toss if people are finding their seats/ at the bar/going to the toilet. Do you stand at home every time watching an Anthem? Do you stand for other countries anthems when played?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    No Coder said:
    I love all the people now calling out Nike for their issues (pay issues, discrimination etc). Where was this vitriol prior to this add campaign?

Facts are if you are wearing/buying any of the major sports brands, there is a high chance that the company has had some policy/legal/ company issues - ALL major corporations do, and so do governments

If you don't like the ad, don't buy their products - simple

As for the whole Anthem issue, very few give a toss if people are finding their seats/ at the bar/going to the toilet. Do you stand at home every time watching an Anthem? Do you stand for other countries anthems when played?
    I think a lot of people have been aware of Nike's issues for quite a while.  I know I have so it's nothing new to me.

You're absolutely right, many clothing and shoe companies share those same issues but Nike's have been more egregious that other's.

I don't buy anything based on ads.  I'm always surprised to hear that some people do.  That seems weird to me.  I'm surprised ads exist. 

As for standing at a game, at home, never.  At the park, I always have.  But I haven't been to a game in a long time.  If I did, these days, I probably would just stand so I wouldn't have to listen to other people's B.S. harassment.  Besides, I like a good stretch of the legs!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Nike made a bet to appeal to people that will be buying products in the next 30 years, not people who maxed out on their athletic purchases 30 years ago.  Seems perfectly rational to me. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Corporations don't give a shit about customers ... they only cater to their shareholders.  I wouldn't buy NIKE, overpriced crap made at the same factory that all the other shoes likely, just a different label.  

Give Peas A Chance…
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    debut kap nike commercial airs during nfl season opener.......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    I can not believe how worked up people are getting over this and the kneeling for NA.  I would say what Colin is doing is working, he has gotten people's attention.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Would have been cooler to just drop the Nike ad, with Kaepernicks voice over and then him stepping into frame. 

Without telling the world the day before that they will use him in an ad etc.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Would have been cooler to just drop the Nike ad, with Kaepernicks voice over and then him stepping into frame. 

The NFL likely reviews all commercials that air during their games.  It's a positive step they are taking.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Would have been cooler to just drop the Nike ad, with Kaepernicks voice over and then him stepping into frame. 

Kind of missing the advertising benefits here....the hype machine has run with this for 4-5 days before the ad.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195

The NFL likely reviews all commercials that air during their games.  It's a positive step they are taking.
    I don't believe the NFL can control the companies that buy the ad space during their games, that would be up to the Network airing the game so I think NBC more than likely isn't as concerned about the ad as say the regular Thursday night network (NFL Network or Fox) would have been. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Who gives a shit
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited September 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    Nike made a bet to appeal to people that will be buying products in the next 30 years, not people who maxed out on their athletic purchases 30 years ago.  Seems perfectly rational to me. 
    Personally, I fall into the category of not wearing things with politics attached (in the same way that I don’t put the political bumper stickers on my vehicles).  If someone is seen wearing Nike anything, are they automatically going to be seen as political activists?  Cannot one merely buy a pair of fucking shoes without having “strings” attached? Lol
    For the record, Merrells and Wolverines are my “go to” brands, stopped wearing Nike after Jordan’s reign, lol
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Personally, I fall into the category of not wearing things with politics attached (in the same way that I don’t put the political bumper stickers on my vehicles).  If someone is seen wearing Nike anything, are they automatically going to be seen as political activists?  Cannot one merely buy a pair of fucking shoes without having “strings” attached? Lol
    For the record, Merrells and Wolverines are my “go to” brands, stopped wearing Nike after Jordan’s reign, lol
    Big fan of the color brown, eh?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    no. the nike brand supercedes the political message of this minute. this will blow over in the "news/outrage for 3 seconds" landscape we are in today. 

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited September 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Big fan of the color brown, eh?
    Not necessarily, I don’t really choose my shoes based on the color of their skin.  I am a big fan of quality though.  
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    no. the nike brand supercedes the political message of this minute. this will blow over in the "news/outrage for 3 seconds" landscape we are in today. 

I agree.  I think, playing the long game, Nike will see a net benefit out of this.  68 white guys in Oklahoma don't buy a pair of tennis shoes every 2 months.  Kids do.  Nike's stock will recover shortly.  That market loss means jack.  
    *68 year old*
    mrussel1 said:
    *68 year old*
    68 is ancient.  Old people suck.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    *68 year old*
    Get your damn Nikes and jorts off my lawn 
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    *68 year old*
    Get your damn Nikes and jorts off my lawn 
    Arrrrrrrr! 

:lol:

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    *68 year old*
    They do... and when I'm 68, they will still piss me off.  
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Old people do not suck and I really hope that sarcasm...

Millennial's  suck ... by far the worst generation ever...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    dignin said:
    Yes!!!  This Dude totally abides!
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    Yes!!!  This Dude totally abides!
    lol.  I didn't even see any commercials.  Commercial breaks are for getting high.  Not watching dumb ads by over rated corporations selling their garbage made in China...
    Give Peas A Chance…

It's tongue in cheek.  But the Baby Boomers have failed us as a generation.  
    Millenials are annoying, no doubt.  But they have not taken the reigns of gov't yet, so I'm not ready to pass the judgment.  We need Boomers to give it up.  They are fucking us every day, neglecting the future for their present.  
    mrussel1 said:

It's tongue in cheek.  But the Baby Boomers have failed us as a generation.  
    Millenials are annoying, no doubt.  But they have not taken the reigns of gov't yet, so I'm not ready to pass the judgment.  We need Boomers to give it up.  They are fucking us every day, neglecting the future for their present.  
    Guess it is up to the Xennials to carry the day.

Joking?

Millennial people are fine.  I make jokes about Millennials -- and many more about Gen Z, which makes up a larger grouping of the population, at least in the US.  However, for as many things as I joke about, I can usually find another that I think is better about them.