*** Boston, MA Fanviews Here 9/2/18 ***

Comments

• BB6102 said:
    Gotta say I love this band I made the best of it but flying up from Virginia and laying out for flights and rooms to go to these shows and to be parked right in front of the foul pole and not being able to see unobstructed sucked butt Getting Out of my mind helped but I’d say don’t even sell tickets behind foul pole for ten club members..out whole section couldn’t believe it... night 2 hopefully will be a blow out!

I would agree with you that these seats might actually suck butt.

What's with the graffiti on the foul pole? Fenway maintenance should clean that up. Looks like a cheap gas station stall wall.
    It adds to the ballpark's "charm" just like the rest of the city. It's a shame they cannot really do much about cleaning up the town and helping society, yet they'll spend stupid amounts of money on sports team parades.
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
  • vedpunk said:
    Enough with the Springsteen 4 hr shows comment.  He’s an anomaly, oldie act and far from a hard rock band that is shredding his vocals on most songs.  Nobody does it like Pearl Jam. Period.
    I’ve seen almost 1000 rock concerts including almost 350 from just Bruce, Pearl Jam, and U2 alone. I’ve been a 10C member since early 1994. Pearl Jam is amazing, I love them but your statement “nobody does it like Pearl Jam. Period.” is just not accurate. I think even Ed himself would tell you that. 
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 806
    U2? Great band but they play almost the same setlist every single night of the tour.  I think we can maybe agree that we often take Pearl Jam for granted.  Very few bands are this consistent, play a very different setlist every night and provide a refreshing amount of sincerity and spontaneity to their live show.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I have absolutely no complaints about the band or set list  last night but honestly the crowd in my section sucked. We were surrounded by people who at best stood there with tepid smiles on their faces, and at worst sat and looked at their Instagram feeds all night. I still danced the whole time, as did my ticket buddy, but no one else in a several row vicinity did. The woman sitting beside me stared daggers at me, even though I was careful not to even brush up against her.  Now I know how much of a vibe-killer a lame crowd is. It sure made me miss the amazing GA experiences I’ve had this year in Europe and just a couple of weeks ago in Seattle. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I have absolutely no complaints about the band or set list  last night but honestly the crowd in my section sucked. We were surrounded by people who at best stood there with tepid smiles on their faces, and at worst sat and looked at their Instagram feeds all night. I still danced the whole time, as did my ticket buddy, but no one else in a several row vicinity did. The woman sitting beside me stared daggers at me, even though I was careful not to even brush up against her.  Now I know how much of a vibe-killer a lame crowd is. It sure made me miss the amazing GA experiences I’ve had this year in Europe and just a couple of weeks ago in Seattle. 
    Were your seats in the front sections on the floor where ga would be?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Sounded incredible. Great show
    Seats were in rightfield roof box 35 which is a great spot for a concert at Fenway. 

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mcgruff10 said:
    Turf B7 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJNB said:
    Holy shit! Out of My Mind and it sounded great! They scratched 4 songs in the second encore. Thank you so much Eddie for not scratching that one. I was singing my ass off and completely lost it 

Unbelievable night that flew right by. Love the start of this show and Release sounded amazing in the number 2 spot. Lots of songs that have not been played much lately thrown in the mix and some great versions of the staples that we all love. Can't wait now to see what Tuesday brings. 

Couple of negatives that I need to mention. Crowd in my area was lame and took away from the show a bit. People sitting the whole show not singing along and just standing there. People can do what they want at a concert and it is their show to enjoy it how they want but holy shit at all the stiffs in my section. Second thing is why did the band come on so late? I appreciate them playing past the curfew of course but still unsure why they started as late as they did. Seemed to me a lot of people were in their seats early. 
    Same same same!! Amazing show, the boys really brought it and were having a great time, but WTF was up with the 10c crowd?? Agree everyone can enjoy the show in their own way but sooo many stiffs. I had a bit of the opposite in my section too - ppl who went from stiffs/sitting down/walking around to SUDDENLY enthused.

Where were the ppl rocking out?? Grandstand looked more bumping.

Either way had an amazing time but had to chime in bc I felt the same. Sec C8.
    Hard to rock out when you have 6 inches of leg room between the rows.....
    ...listening to different videos of the show today you can really hear the sound differences depending on location...
    ...disappointed that we were in the park at 540 and in our seats at 600 only to wait 2 hours for the guys to come on, only to cut 4 songs later
    ...was at 2016 night one and last night was infinitely better....LOVED Tremor, Blood, Once and Present Tense...
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    kmmr1094 said:
    PJNB said:
    Holy shit! Out of My Mind and it sounded great! They scratched 4 songs in the second encore. Thank you so much Eddie for not scratching that one. I was singing my ass off and completely lost it 

Unbelievable night that flew right by. Love the start of this show and Release sounded amazing in the number 2 spot. Lots of songs that have not been played much lately thrown in the mix and some great versions of the staples that we all love. Can't wait now to see what Tuesday brings. 

Couple of negatives that I need to mention. Crowd in my area was lame and took away from the show a bit. People sitting the whole show not singing along and just standing there. People can do what they want at a concert and it is their show to enjoy it how they want but holy shit at all the stiffs in my section. Second thing is why did the band come on so late? I appreciate them playing past the curfew of course but still unsure why they started as late as they did. Seemed to me a lot of people were in their seats early. 
    Same same same!! Amazing show, the boys really brought it and were having a great time, but WTF was up with the 10c crowd?? Agree everyone can enjoy the show in their own way but sooo many stiffs. I had a bit of the opposite in my section too - ppl who went from stiffs/sitting down/walking around to SUDDENLY enthused.

Where were the ppl rocking out?? Grandstand looked more bumping.

Either way had an amazing time but had to chime in bc I felt the same. Sec C8.
    Hard to rock out when you have 6 inches of leg room between the rows.....
    We had this problem in 2016. Even zip-tied together, those chairs can slide around a lot and you wind up with the row in front of you in your lap.
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Great night.... it wasn’t a top 5, but it was an awesome night. 

The setlist had some nice surprises, this was my first time hearing Sometimes as an opener... Army Reserve was also fantastic. 
    Tremor Christ was a real treat, I heard them play that live once before, 20 years ago almost to the day. What a great performance of it tonight. I was blown away. 
    Mike McCready is a bad bad man... I consider it a great privilege to see him perform live.

It was a fun fun first night. I’m looking forward to night 2. 
    After AMS2 I reached the same conclusion.  He's filthy really.  I've seen some photos...that Aerosmith t-shirt?  Killer.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    dankind said:
    I ate Sour Patch Kids and drank water with my babygirl at her first concert. And it was just awesome. Even when the flow was a little off during the main set, we had a great time.

And she, for one, as an eight-year-old, will never forget Eddie’s “fuck” speech. He pretty much became her favorite person in the world, and now she wants to marry him. :lol:  

Switched seats with my wife for the encores and rocked out the rest of the show with my bestie. What a great night!
    NICE  
  • Great show (#22 for me).  Probably one of the best versions of Daughter I (and maybe Black too) I've heard them play.  Blood, which I'm never all that thrilled about (I know, I know), was AH-MAY-zing!  I was most happy to hear Army Reserve and Out of Mind.  Won't Back Down was so moving, and I'm ALWAYS a sucker for Patriot (loved the quick version, which I've only heard live once before, I think).  Eddie's voice was damn good - cracked a few times, but that wasn't an easy set, in my opinion - and Mike was on fire (he seemed pissed about equipment/pedals at one point, but I couldn't tell why from our distance). 

I was in RF96 and although seat spacing is little too tight at Fenway for my comfort level (I was next to a big guy who honestly couldn't help but elbow and bump me every time he moved), the sound and view were great!  Thanks Ten Club!  I really think getting under the grandstand at hurts the sound quality (and ears) at Fenway.  In 2016, I was underneath on night two and it was rough, after a really nice night one on the turf where it sounded awesome.  I think last night confirmed this theory for me. I'd rather get rained on than get crap sound. 

Fenway is a rough venue, because because it's just not built for (and they just never seem quite prepared for) crowds that big, and I think the slow lines getting in were the biggest contributor to the late start.  I was trying to get in at 6:15ish (assuming they'd start at 7) and didn't get to my seat until almost 7:30, and I'm sorry, but the entry gate guidance gets overridden by cops on the street who don't seem to help any of the crowd control.  When standing in those crazy lines, I was nervous that if they started playing the crowds would start pushing/running.  Do I wish we got those 4 cut songs and a 3 hr show? Of course! But I'd rather not get trampled on the way in, and anyone who thinks a 2.5 hr show isn't long enough (or hard on those guys on stage) needs to chillax.  I'm SO glad they cut Betterman, and not Out of My Mind :)

Couldn't be happier, and cannot wait until night 2!!

Thanks Pearl Jam!
  • Springsteen is not a low energy show.  Enough.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    Springsteen is not a low energy show.  Enough.
    I agree.   I always kind of thought the modern 3 hour+ PJ era took a page out of Springsteen's book.    Dude rocks for 3 to 4 hours straight.  Keeping the entire crowd on their feet.  He crowdsurfed through the pit the last time I saw him.    When people put down a Springsteen show, I assumed it's like when I tell people I went to a PJ show and they give a similar answer.  It usually means their commenting without firsthand knowledge. 

That being said, there's not many bands out there's like Springsteen and PJ.  Playing 3 hour+ hard rockin sets with different setlists every night.  It's a rare breed for sure.
  • Great show last night. Surrounded by a fun group, everyone having a good time. Second time I have heard PJ play that Patriot song, that is a truly awful song. I mean, whatever country you’re in:  “I love my country because my country is all I know” Yep, you can sum up a lot of the world’s problems with that attitude. But hey, if I don’t love one song in 30, it’s not the end of the world right?
  • Pats16Pats16 Posts: 174
    Regard regarding the late start. Heard form a friend that there was a major medical emergency and someone was carted our close to start time. Band wanted that to go smoothly before coming on. Maybe that wasn’t the entire reason but heard it first hand. 

Anyways, great mix of tunes. Sometimes into release, out of my mind, tremor Christ, blood, once and my favorite present tense. I’m good there. Flow was a little off...maybe a little too much talk where they came out late but the bootleg will show this was a solid show. 

Mikes guitar was too low imo...but that was my opinion. Could just be the outdoor acoustics who know but I’m sure they will tighten it up tomorrow. Hard to notice the beginning of present tense for me and that’s my white whale even though I’ve heard it over 20 times. Can’t wait for the bootleg (and indoor shows to get back the energy that I enjoy the most). 
  • lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    Security was checking my digital ticket every ten feet going back to seats from beer line - someone didn’t get the memo - lighten up Francis ! 
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 863
    Pats16 said:
    Regard regarding the late start. Heard form a friend that there was a major medical emergency and someone was carted our close to start time. Band wanted that to go smoothly before coming on. Maybe that wasn’t the entire reason but heard it first hand. 

Anyways, great mix of tunes. Sometimes into release, out of my mind, tremor Christ, blood, once and my favorite present tense. I’m good there. Flow was a little off...maybe a little too much talk where they came out late but the bootleg will show this was a solid show. 

Mikes guitar was too low imo...but that was my opinion. Could just be the outdoor acoustics who know but I’m sure they will tighten it up tomorrow. Hard to notice the beginning of present tense for me and that’s my white whale even though I’ve heard it over 20 times. Can’t wait for the bootleg (and indoor shows to get back the energy that I enjoy the most). 

Great show last night. Surrounded by a fun group, everyone having a good time. Second time I have heard PJ play that Patriot song, that is a truly awful song. I mean, whatever country you’re in:  “I love my country because my country is all I know” Yep, you can sum up a lot of the world’s problems with that attitude. But hey, if I don’t love one song in 30, it’s not the end of the world right?
    Not a huge fan of that song for similar reasons. Nationalism is a dumb thing. Especially coming from such an international band with songs like DTE and Mind Your Manners.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601
    mcgruff10 said:
    Turf B7 
    Wow, that sucks.. those should be all 10C people, right?  I was in B5 row 4 and the crowd was great.  Everyone was loud, singing, etc.  The only problems were the Getapo level security.  If you bled into the aisle by more than a foot, they were trying to push you back.  
  • BB6102 said:
    Gotta say I love this band I made the best of it but flying up from Virginia and laying out for flights and rooms to go to these shows and to be parked right in front of the foul pole and not being able to see unobstructed sucked butt Getting Out of my mind helped but I’d say don’t even sell tickets behind foul pole for ten club members..out whole section couldn’t believe it... night 2 hopefully will be a blow out!

I would agree with you that these seats might actually suck butt.

What's with the graffiti on the foul pole? Fenway maintenance should clean that up. Looks like a cheap gas station stall wall.

It's painted a couple times every year.  It's a tradition to sign the pole when you go to a game.   And sorry the 10C tickets sucked.  They have no idea what they are selling in this stadium.
  • vedpunk said:
    Enough with the Springsteen 4 hr shows comment.  He’s an anomaly, oldie act and far from a hard rock band that is shredding his vocals on most songs.  Nobody does it like Pearl Jam. Period.

You've never actually been to a Springsteen show, right?
  • Awesome show as usual, 2nd time seeing them at Fenway and going tomorrow as well so I’ll hold off on ranking this show for now. I have no complaints on the set list, Sometimes, Release, Lowlight and Elderly first 4 songs ? That just set the tone for a great night. People around me were great. Was expecting a start between 7-7:30pm but they did go over the curfew. I’m thinking they get on stage tomorrow 7:30 at the latest, last show of the tour so I’m expected something epic.
  • PorchgirlCOPorchgirlCO Colorado Posts: 1,375
    Great to read the “Sea” review to know what the hell was going on tonight. I agree it wasn’t the band’s best performance and the sound was a bit distorted much of the time, and thru most of Ed’s speaking. It was an off night. And a shorter than usual show. I didn’t even catch that it was an encore break. Sorry! I was sitting in the dugout seats and was surprised it just wasn’t as super fantastic as the 2 Fenway 2016 shows. Many thanks for an excellent version of Porch, Present Tense, and a bit of WMA and Waiting on a Friend. 

Lastly, I noticed lots of folks near us spending more time on their phones/social media than digging the music and the fact that Pearl Jam was in the House. With us!! And yes....Brookline is awesome! 
    I really loved last night's show! A lot of my favorites and the first time seeing Tremor Christ and, of course, Out of my Mind!!! We have dugout seats for tomorrow and my husband and I are pretty short 5'4" and 5'6". Do you think that will be an issue with people walking around in front of us? Thanks!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Orlando 4/24/92 & 8/23/92, Miami 3/28/94, Ft Laud 10/7/96, Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Missoula 9/30/12, EV Jax 11/24/12 & 11/25/12, Chicago (Wrigley) 7/19/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Tulsa 10/8/14, Lincoln 10/9/14, Denver 10/22/14, Jacksonville 4/12/16, Greenville 4/16/16, Telluride 7/9/16, Boston (Fenway) 8/5/16 & 8/7/16, Seattle (Safeco) 8/10/18, Boston (Fenway) 9/2/18 & 9/4/18, Dana Point 10/1/21 & 10/2/21, MSG 9/11/22, Denver 9/22/22, Austin 9/18/23 & 9/19/23.
  • So it was my 34th show for me and the 3rd time seeing them at Fenway. I thought the show was a really good - Ed sounded on point but the overall sound or loudness seemed to fluctuate in an out. I didn't know if it was all the joints being passed around or what but that's what I thought.

Brought my brother to his first show and he said it was life changing - he's hooked! Playing release in the dark was better than when it was light out still in 2016 and I swear that was the longest Corduroy I've ever heard lol - Just wish they would have come out at 7:30 cause I was getting tired of waiting in my seat for 90 minutes.

The crowd around me was great in G30 row 3. Everyone stood the whole show and most were moving and a few were rocking hard. I've been around stiffs before and it can suck the life out of a show experience. Definitely worth the trip from Philly on a whim.
    Keep on rocking PJ!! Love you guys!
    Walks on his own... With thoughts he can't help thinking...
  • Show was awesome, great time, thanks PJ. thanks 10 Club...that being said, spreading the word of a 6:30 start and not coming on till almost 8 was crap...everyone piles out of the bars fired up as fuck and they took the starch out of everyone waiting that long . It was hot as hell and a big buzzkill

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Pats16 said:
    Regard regarding the late start. Heard form a friend cfgthat there was a major medical emergency and someone was carted our close to start time. Band wanted that to go smoothly before coming on. Maybe that wasn’t the entire reason but heard it first hand. 

That might've been the reason for the late start, as I someone being taken out on a stretcher with medical personnel.  Felt really bad for the person.  The show was going on but not long when I saw that
    HOPE the person is okay. 

• NDJeff7NDJeff7 Posts: 204
    Great show, sat up front in A5 and our section was great. Everyone totally respectable and having a great time. It was a little difficult to hear stones guitar on some songs and DTE just sounded off.

Heading back tomorrow night with almost the same exact seats. Hoping they come out a little earlier but just looking forward to one, last awesome show.
  • Out of 2016 and whenever the last Worcester show was this was the best for me.  I've been to about 10 shows, and I'd say this was the 3rd best behind the 10th anniversary show in Vegas, which despite Eddie being a bit sick was epic, and my first show (1998 Sacramento) which was super exciting after being a fan for years and not seeing them live until then.  Playlist last night was great, sound was probably great but only so-so where I was sitting (loge area on 1st baseline), nice overall vibe.  Guy in front of me was playing fantasy on his phone the entire time, but not going to let that bother me too much.   Brought a friend for his first PJ show, he had said his favorite song from them was Sometimes and he really hoped they'd play it.  Was crazy that they led off with it, I figured it was a long shot.
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Heavily underrated show IMO.

They pulled out Sometimes to open and then Released.

Tremor Christ, Blood (Exciting Tour Debut!) to finally provide some variation to the first encore closer, Taillights Fade, OUT OF MY MIND!, Army Reserve, etc.

Lots of highlights!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris