*** BOSTON 1 SETLIST THREAD ***

Comments

• vedpunk said:
    What other band plays their hearts out for over 2.5-3 hours? And they don’t play the same or mostly the same setlist every night. That’s what I thought. GTFO

vedpunk said:
    What other band plays their hearts out for over 2.5-3 hours? And they don’t play the same or mostly the same setlist every night. That’s what I thought. GTFO
    Springsteen
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Life wasted. Wasted reprise, better man and sonic reducer was crossed from setlist
    So nothing exciting was crossed out. 
    Easy cowboy! You're starting to remind me of @HesCalledDyer on the Cubs thread in AET. Lmao
    Which song crossed off was exciting?  Wasted reprise?  Sonic reducer?  Pretty weak tonight. Yeah outta of mind was played but it is a pretty shitty song hence the reason they never play it. 
    This is a textbook example of how reading songs in a list tells you nothing about the performance. 

Out of My Mind was excellent. Ed's vamping on weed as the band started playing the song was goofy and fun. We're used to the improv jam/mediocre sound quality recording and this was not that. They played it through pretty tight and it sounded awesome. Great way to start that last encore.
  • Agree on Out of My Mind - was hoping they’d go right into VU’s Rock n Roll from it.
    "Hey, listen asshole, one more fucker throws a fuckin' quarter up here and we're outta here, I'm tellin' ya, FUCKER! What the fuck, you're blowin' it for fuckin' everybody. Hit me with a fuckin' quarter again and, fuck it, I'm outta here. We're all outta here. Fuck you, and if anyone sees someone throw fuckin' change right next to them, you have my permission to beat the fuckin' holy shit outta them."
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    vito said: no
    Great show in my book. Re a few comments above. What rock band had ever taken the stage at 6:30? No way there going to play for 4 plus hours. 
    Some of you really lack reading comprehension! Don't make the statement and don't come out 1.5 hours later! take the stage at 7:30 at the latest and there's no problem! Last time I'm stating this, if you still can't comprehend, too bad.
    This was the problem I had with the show too. Stadium was full by 715 and the sum was down. I couldn't understand why they waited so late to take the stage. Sitting there for 2.5 hours waiting drained my enthusiasm somewhat.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Look at the bright side:

•you didn't have to wait on ANOTHER rain delay like Wrigley 

•watchtower was not scratched from your setlist 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • fsu2626fsu2626 Posts: 321
    lolobugg said:
    vito said: no
    Great show in my book. Re a few comments above. What rock band had ever taken the stage at 6:30? No way there going to play for 4 plus hours. 
    Some of you really lack reading comprehension! Don't make the statement and don't come out 1.5 hours later! take the stage at 7:30 at the latest and there's no problem! Last time I'm stating this, if you still can't comprehend, too bad.
    This was the problem I had with the show too. Stadium was full by 715 and the sum was down. I couldn't understand why they waited so late to take the stage. Sitting there for 2.5 hours waiting drained my enthusiasm somewhat.
    Agreed 
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Fucking hell this negative nancy crap in setlist threads lately really sucks. 
    I agree.  There has been an increase in spoiled people lately I have noticed.  Like, if each night doesn't have tons of obscurities and a 99 percent change from the last show it automatically sucks.

It is Pearl Jam playing tons of great tunes at Fenway.  If you can't enjoy a set filled with great songs by a great band, no matter how often some might be played more than others, that is on you, not Pearl Jam.  
    wordup
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    ^hey man,they were incredible last night, but...

Inconsistent start times,  and show lengths that vary by AN HOUR create the perception of impropriety.

Complaining in the SETLIST thread while the show is still happening or immediately following it, will get you nowhere.

Stop feeling ripped off, and attempt to relax and enjoy yourself for five seconds.

Carry on.
    From  Instagram

Such an odd night, we have traveled the world to see PJ. We knew going into the show that there is a noise ordinance in Boston as the city agreed to 12 concerts this summer but the last song would need to stop at 10:30. Gates opened at 5, show was to start at 6:30 but they literally did not come onstage until 8. Seattle shows went 3+ hours, Missoula, 3 hours and Wrigley bumped up to 2 1/2 to 3 hours so we knew it was gonna be a “tight” set. We timed Eddie out at 30 minutes of sharing political views, shout outs to Bono, Dave the grounds crew guy, environmental issues, Tom Petty discussion, something was going to be cut, unfortunately it was 4 to 5 songs. Just thankful that we still had the opportunity to sit among one of the greatest bands who still after 25+ years still sound as good as they do, not to mention at Fenway. 

Passive aggressive much?
  • metallidanmetallidan Vermont Posts: 9
    Great show, frustrating to sit down for 6:30 and wait nearly 90 minutes to start but it is what it is I guess.

Lights on the back of the soundboard were BRUTAL.

Albany, New York (April 29, 2003) - I caught this. https://youtu.be/-inwbztEYgY?t=1h57m24s
    Boston 2 (August 07, 2016)
    Boston 1 (September 02, 2018)
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Life wasted. Wasted reprise, better man and sonic reducer was crossed from setlist
    So nothing exciting was crossed out. 
    Easy cowboy! You're starting to remind me of @HesCalledDyer on the Cubs thread in AET. Lmao
    Which song crossed off was exciting?  Wasted reprise?  Sonic reducer?  Pretty weak tonight. Yeah outta of mind was played but it is a pretty shitty song hence the reason they never play it. 
    I'm not saying you were wrong Jersey Boy. I actually agree wholeheartedly with ya.
    Lol. That poster will be out this week. I promise. 
    No worries, bud. It seems your sick right now? Luckily you don't have a class to teach tomorrow. 

Basement isn't anywhere near finished so the poster isn't being hung for a few months at least.
    Sick? No I am all good!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Tiki said:
    From  Instagram

Such an odd night, we have traveled the world to see PJ. We knew going into the show that there is a noise ordinance in Boston as the city agreed to 12 concerts this summer but the last song would need to stop at 10:30. Gates opened at 5, show was to start at 6:30 but they literally did not come onstage until 8. Seattle shows went 3+ hours, Missoula, 3 hours and Wrigley bumped up to 2 1/2 to 3 hours so we knew it was gonna be a “tight” set. We timed Eddie out at 30 minutes of sharing political views, shout outs to Bono, Dave the grounds crew guy, environmental issues, Tom Petty discussion, something was going to be cut, unfortunately it was 4 to 5 songs. Just thankful that we still had the opportunity to sit among one of the greatest bands who still after 25+ years still sound as good as they do, not to mention at Fenway. 

Passive aggressive much?
    Don't forget Eddie's lesson on all the uses of the word "fuck"
  • ChadsStillAliveChadsStillAlive Indianapolis Posts: 450
    edited September 2018
    Jimmy124 said:
    Tiki said:
    From  Instagram

Passive aggressive much?
    No way they “timed” Eddie at 30 minutes. What a bunch of whiny, entitled nonsense. You got 2 hours and 40 minutes and 30 songs from one of the great rock n’ roll acts of all time. How lucky are we to still be watching them do this in 2018? We missed a few songs at both nights at Wrigley, and Night 2 had that rain delay that probably subtracted a 2-3 song slow opening, but when the opening notes of Given to Fly began, did I feel robbed? Of course not. There is nothing better than being at a Pearl Jam show, whether it be 2 hours or 3. Of course I want them to play as long as possible, but they don’t owe that to me or anyone else. They have earned the right to play what they want and for however long they want.
    Post edited by ChadsStillAlive on
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side.
    I am right by your side.
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    Not all that long ago 30 songs was an epic show for length. Sad that fans are so spoiled by the few shows that go above and beyond then they’re let down if the show isn’t one of the top ten nights for the band in the last ten years 
    YO!                   /|\ /\ THIS /\ /|\
    KN219077 said:
    Not all that long ago 30 songs was an epic show for length. Sad that fans are so spoiled by the few shows that go above and beyond then they’re let down if the show isn’t one of the top ten nights for the band in the last ten years 
    In those days there was also an opener. Expectations are a little different when it's just them.

The show last night was great. I think most of the grousing is around the start time. No one thought they'd actually go on at 6:30, but I don't think anyone was expecting close to 8:00 either. Add to that 3 1/2 songs scratched and you get the feeling that a little more show was the band's original intent.
  • Main set doesn’t have too many surprises but damn it is a good night be in Fen fucking Way Paaaaaak.
    Kuech, is that you? Long time no speak!
    - Your old Ross Hall resident/fellow PJ traveler
    Chad!  15 years since the old college dorm days.  A lot of Pearl Jam since then.  Hope all is good!
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    I guess people will really get pissed if they show on time tomorrow and play 33 songs?    30 songs and 2 1/2 hrs is a solid show. I cant see getting mad at the wait . I wonder if peeps would whine about getting home late if they were to play til midnight?
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

I guess people will really get pissed if they show on time tomorrow and play 33 songs?    30 songs and 2 1/2 hrs is a solid show. I cant see getting mad at the wait . I wonder if peeps would whine about getting home late if they were to play til midnight?
    Man, if they went on at 8 and played until 12 this place would be raptured with joy
  • The reason songs got cut is because Ed was going on and on about random stuff like the word fuck and McCain being a hero. It was one of the oddest shows I’ve been to. The first encore slayed but the main set and second encore were both....uneven. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Tough crowd.
    I would have loved to be there, but still had fun at home following the set list thread and listening via periscope. Some great surprises in the set list. 

"Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    KN219077 said:

Take out the speaking, and they played about 2 hours and ten minutes. Very standard length for a rock band concert

They decided to come on stage  late for Fenway considering their strict curfew.

Fans know the band decided to play 4 fewer songs than just simply start at 7.40. paying customers can enjoy the show as well as exercise their right to speak freely about decisions the band made.

sure...you got a right, but people also have a right to call you selfish.
    stop looking at your phone.
  • Nymets30 said:
    vedpunk said:

vedpunk said:
    Springsteen
    Yup! Bruce plays consistently 3-4 hour shows nightly. If I saw Bruce and it was 2.5 hours I’d be very disappointed. Saw Bruce at Wrigley a few years ago and he broke the curfew and paid a huge fine each night. 
  • vito said:
    Whose being negative I said it was an awesome show! I just don't understand why they release a statement to be in your seats at 6:30 and then don't take the stage for an hour and a half? 20-30 minutes is one thing 1.5 hours is quite another thing and then have to cut 4-5 songs cause they came up against the curfew which, they caused! I'm going on Tuesday and if this scenario plays out again I'm going to be pissed no matter how good the 2.5 hours is! Sorry but, it's BS to tell people to be in their seats at 6:30 and take the stage at 8!!
    Agreed! 
  • vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,434
    edited September 2018
    Jimmy124 said:
    Tiki said:
    From  Instagram

Passive aggressive much?
    No way they “timed” Eddie at 30 minutes. What a bunch of whiny, entitled nonsense. You got 2 hours and 40 minutes and 30 songs from one of the great rock n’ roll acts of all time. How lucky are we to still be watching them do this in 2018? We missed a few songs at both nights at Wrigley, and Night 2 had that rain delay that probably subtracted a 2-3 song slow opening, but when the opening notes of Given to Fly began, did I feel robbed? Of course not. There is nothing better than being at a Pearl Jam show, whether it be 2 hours or 3. Of course I want them to play as long as possible, but they don’t owe that to me or anyone else. They have earned the right to play what they want and for however long they want.
    I don't care if they play 20-25-30 or 40 songs, just don't send me email's about how I need to be in my seat at 6:30 and then come on at 8! This is not a complaint, it's a fact and there are thousands stating it today! You also don't need to lecture us on how lucky we are about anything PJ related at this point in their career, as most have stated the show was great but, it's not acceptable to do what they did last night and then have to cut 4-5 songs cause they caused their own curfew situation!
    Post edited by vito on
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

As they say they say over in Winthrop...makeshaaa you're in ya seats at 6:30 on Tuesday or ya gonna miss out...good luck dealin with all the traffic and whatnot...dats right around RUSHHOWAAAA....

• AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 863
    My take - Not personally upset, but folks do have a right to be annoyed about a slightly shorter show. The band never explicitly states what we're in for, but they do set certain expectations when they play other venues. And if those expectations aren't met for someone, it's reasonable that they would regret their purchase. After all, they bought the ticket. And for most, seeing the band without travel is already through the roof expensive.

I know for a fact if some aspects changed about their live show, I would stop attending. The band knows that too. I don't think they want to be out there for 3 hours every night. I'm sure some would be fine just practicing and playing the same 20 song set every night. These dudes are working and if they're charging the same for tickets at each venue, it's not wrong for folks to expect a similar objective experience that others had recently at said other venues.

Is a three song cross off and 15 extra minutes worth the anger?? Meh. Not from me. But I get it.