NCAA College Football -

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,283
    3 game suspension.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,099
    So, kids selling their gear get 4 game suspensions and Meyer gets 3 games for lying and covering up domestic abuse? Something is not right here.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    A fucking joke, as expected. 
    Nobody cares about women or abuse of them -- they care about some entitled prick who is a first class liar.
    He puts himself out there as a family/religious man. 
    Typical.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,119
    Everyone upset that Meyer didn’t get fired and holds a management position needs to start firing every one of their employees that has allegedly committed wrongdoing outside the confines of the business.  See how that goes and post back here with the results.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    Jason P said:
    Everyone upset that Meyer didn’t get fired and holds a management position needs to start firing every one of their employees that has allegedly committed wrongdoing outside the confines of the business.  See how that goes and post back here with the results.  
    I am an executive and if someone was in the same situation I would do everything possible to get rid of them while still following the rules for the state/employee agreement. 
    Do not expect that everyone is in the same position but I have a very personal family experience with domestic abuse and would tolerate none of it.  This is not something I would move on. 

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    Jason P said:
    I am an executive and if someone was in the same situation I would do everything possible to get rid of them while still following the rules for the state/employee agreement. 
    Do not expect that everyone is in the same position but I have a very personal family experience with domestic abuse and would tolerate none of it.  This is not something I would move on. 

But isn’t this situation, as with penn state, more about the cover up and lies than what actually happened as well, granted completely different levels? Sure, he didn’t fire him when he should have but if he had came out and said “I made a mistake, bad judgement and should have fired him earlier” we wouldn’t be having this conversation, instead he lied and continues to lie
    Jason P said:

But isn’t this situation, as with penn state, more about the cover up and lies than what actually happened as well, granted completely different levels? Sure, he didn’t fire him when he should have but if he had came out and said “I made a mistake, bad judgement and should have fired him earlier” we wouldn’t be having this conversation, instead he lied and continues to lie
    Just looking at OSU...he knew he employed a beater...and that is obvious.  He looked the other way.  He lied about it.
    For me it is all about continuing to support (bringing him with him when he changed jobs) someone that he knew smacked around his pregnant wife.
    I dont respect him at all.
    Which is fine -- he doesnt need the respect of some joe schmoe football fan.
    He has the adoration and support of hundreds of thousands (millions?) of OSU fans that would support him no matter what.
    [Wait, I guess in that was he is somewhat similar to JoePa.]
    As pointed out above....kids being kids get 4 games.  The leader of men and kids gets 3 games for being a sham.
    have any of the critics read the findings of this investigation yet? you know, before passing judgement?

listening to the press conference last night, the beginning anyway, it laid responsibility on meyers feet, gene smiths and osu to a degree for certain policy lapses and offered suggestions for clear protocols going forward.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    have any of the critics read the findings of this investigation yet? you know, before passing judgement?

listening to the press conference last night, the beginning anyway, it laid responsibility on meyers feet, gene smiths and osu to a degree for certain policy lapses and offered suggestions for clear protocols going forward.
    And never once apologized to the victim
    Jason P said:

Just looking at OSU...he knew he employed a beater...and that is obvious.  He looked the other way.  He lied about it.
    For me it is all about continuing to support (bringing him with him when he changed jobs) someone that he knew smacked around his pregnant wife.
    He has the adoration and support of hundreds of thousands (millions?) of OSU fans that would support him no matter what.
    As pointed out above....kids being kids get 4 games.  The leader of men and kids gets 3 games for being a sham.
    I don't disagree with you at all, I am just saying had it approached it in a different way, they wouldn't be in this situation.

I don't need any more information to pass judgement.  It has looked like this the whole time.  Him not telling the truth about it just makes it seem worse for him.  What he had to say to the victim in this case, highlighted below, makes how I feel about him even more real.

Again....I am not an unbiased person.  Anyone who hits a woman should be dealt with, and in a most harsh and immediate way.  No second chances.

Some quotes from an article today:

The investigation turned up “a pattern of troubling behavior by Zach Smith: promiscuous and embarrassing sexual behavior, drug abuse, truancy, dishonesty, financial irresponsibility, a possible NCAA violation, and a lengthy police investigation into allegations of criminal domestic violence and cybercrimes,” according to summary investigative findings released by the university on Wednesday night.

— Meyer, the athletic director and others throughout Ohio State thought it wasn’t their place to do anything about allegations against Zach Smith unless law enforcement took more action like making an arrest or filing charges. Investigators called that a widespread misunderstanding of their reporting obligations.

— Meyer responded to Courtney Smith coming forward to a reporter by asking one of his staffers about changing the settings on his phone to delete text messages more than a year old. Investigators didn’t find older messages on Meyer’s phone but couldn’t determine whether he deleted them before or after the media report.

— Meyer and his wife, Shelley, doubted the veracity of Courtney Smith’s allegations of violence and abuse. Urban Meyer called the Smith situation a “he said she said” last month in a text with a former player. He also insisted to investigators he met with Courtney Smith after Zach Smith’s 2009 arrest and that she recanted her original story to authorities. Courtney Smith told investigators she never met with Meyer or recanted any allegations.

This, for me, is the topper:
    --Meyer said he was not aware of the text messages Courtney Smith sent to his wife. When asked if he had a message for Courtney Smith, Meyer said:
    “I have a message for everyone involved in this: I’m sorry we’re in 
    this situation.”
    Say you are sorry, dude.  Say her frigging name.
    He is reading a bullshit script and pretending nothing happened and he didn't knowingly support and continue employment of a goddamn dirtbag who beat on his pregnant wife.

To clarify above, I believe the victim and not the guy who only cares about winning and honoring the grandson of his mentor by keeping him employed, despite him obviously not being worthy of it.
    Jason P said:

I don't disagree with you at all, I am just saying had it approached it in a different way, they wouldn't be in this situation.
    I agree,

Had Urban come out and said "I made a mistake, I trusted what my coach was telling me and the fact that he was not formally charged at the end of any of the investigations, and I should have seen what was obvious to anyone with eyes." that he would have been ok.  (I know, the last part is my sarcasm.)

Instead he denies things that the university clearly believes happened (when everything pushes them to believe their coach) and then refuses to acknowledge that there is a victim here.  He is sorry there is a situation.

What a fucking clown.

I wonder if there is a coach out there in big time college sports who actually walks the walk.  We have seen a lot of people fall far short of what they claim...I am sure the pressure to win (above all else) is tremendous.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,119
    I imagine Smith will sue OSU for around $10M for wrongful termination and defamation, get half that in a settlement which seals all facts away in a safe made out of pure plutonium (which OSU will gladly pay) and it will be all buckeyes under the bridge.  
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,720
    Holy shit that press conference was embarrassing.  Meyer is such a scumbag.  The "I'm sorry we're in this situation" line was horrible...how tone deaf is Ohio State???  College sports really make me sick sometimes.
    Jason P said:
    I imagine Smith will sue OSU for around $10M for wrongful termination and defamation, get half that in a settlement which seals all facts away in a safe made out of pure plutonium (which OSU will gladly pay) and it will be all buckeyes under the bridge.  
    I didnt think of that.  Good call.
    Holy shit that press conference was embarrassing.  Meyer is such a scumbag.  The "I'm sorry we're in this situation" line was horrible...how tone deaf is Ohio State???  College sports really make me sick sometimes.
    I know, right?  For a guy that tries to cultivate a good image he seemed to mail that in.  He is acting like he is the victim instead of the woman who married and stayed with this wildman.
    See Hernandez, Aaron
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,347
    urban > pete > saban.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    urban > pete > saban.
    That's just foolish.  Saban nor Pete have carried assfucks who beat on their pregnant wives.
    Saban is King.  (As much as I loved The Pete)
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Did anyone really expect Ohio State to fire him?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    > petrino?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,683
    Did anyone really expect Ohio State to fire him?  
    Nope. Not at all.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    Urban Meyer is the John Calipari of football.  Scandal seems to follow him everywhere. And yet he still has a job.

Urban Meyer is the John Calipari of football.  Scandal seems to follow him everywhere. And yet he still has a job.

calipari has one mission....get his guys to the NBA. he’s pretty good at it. I honestly think he’s more about that than wiining titles.

good new thread would be scummiest NCAA football/basketball coaches.

I nominate rick shitino.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Yeah fuck Pitino!

just realized you live in maryland. what’s shakin’ with YOUR football program?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,395
    Wobbie said:

calipari has one mission....get his guys to the NBA. he’s pretty good at it. I honestly think he’s more about that than wiining titles.

good new thread would be scummiest NCAA football/basketball coaches.

I nominate rick shitino.
    Wait a minute now. Calipari gets TOP recruits that MOST are already NBA prospects and would be drafted if they went to his school or Pee Wee State. Besides Marcus Camby, who played 3 seasons at UMASS, name another player/s he developed that made the NBA? He can recruit but not sure how good of a coach he is, as far as developing players.