*** Chicago, IL, Fanviews Here 8/20/18 ***

Comments

• pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    Great pic, Dimi!

He really should give credit to the person who took and posted the photo originally instead of making you think it is his...
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • dancuffdancuff Posts: 13
    edited August 2018
    Just an insanely good show. And for me it was the better of the two Wrigley shows. The energy was just incredible. 

I didn't pick up on any tension on stage but I was a little further back and, like others have said, as close as these guys are it's normal to have a little spat every now and then - think nothing of it.

I caught the little slips in a couple of songs that people have mentioned. But (again, for me) that's what live music is all about - and makes what YOU saw that night unique. And they're so professional  that the slips are  almost seamless. I mean if you want to hear the studio version, listen to the album.

Which song was it that Jeff played guitar and Stone played bass and do they always swap like that (or did I totally imagine it)?

The only negative to this weekend has been the merch lines and lack of availability. I met a number of people who said they're just done with buying merch at this point which is a shame. It was disheartening to wait in line through the rain for about 90 mins just to watch 3 guys walk away with piles of the Chicago L poster (I'm guessing 6+ each) - they weren't wearing anything PJ and they didn't buy anything other than that poster. I thought there was a limit - and if there was then it wasn't enforced.
    Post edited by dancuff on
    2010 - Bristow, VA
    2013 - Baltimore, MD; Charlottesville, VA
    2014 - Leeds, UK; Milton Keynes, UK
    2016 - Miami, FL; Boston MA; Chicago IL
    2018 - London, UK
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    All I can say right now is Come Back!
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    dancuff said:
    Just an insanely good show. And for me it was the better of the two Wrigley shows. The energy was just incredible. 

I didn't pick up on any tension on stage but I was a little further back and, like others have said, as close as these guys are it's normal to have a little spat every now and then - think nothing of it.

I caught the little slips in a couple of songs that people have mentioned. But (again, for me) that's what live music is all about - and makes what YOU saw that night unique. And they're so professional  that the slips are  almost seamless. I mean if you want to hear the studio version, listen to the album.

Which song was it that Jeff played guitar and Stone played bass and do they always swap like that (or did I totally imagine it)?
    smile
  • kid canadakid canada Toronto Posts: 440
    JTH said:
    oona left said:

I can't help but think of the people who were in the GA line outside for hours and hours, only to lose the spot they worked for on the re-entry. 
    I certainly hope they all at least got close to where they were before the field was cleared. Figure they were last off the field, first on?  There should be a special waiting area for the first three or so rows of GA.

Anyway, I didn't pick up on any tension between Ed and Stone (or anyone else on stage, for that matter).  But I have to say, Stone killed it again last night.  The man is a hell of a musician.  Has he made a conscious effort to step up his game when he's playing the lead parts?

I wasnt on the rail but our spot wasn’t as good as the one we left...we got near it but not all the way back. The people we were around were near there but there were a bunch of other people (tall ones) standing where we had been. Getting off and on the field wasn’t orderly, it was herding cattle. Still had a great time! 

'96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • dancuffdancuff Posts: 13
    edited August 2018
    Smile. That's right - now I remember. Thanks. Do they always do that for that song?
    2010 - Bristow, VA
    2013 - Baltimore, MD; Charlottesville, VA
    2014 - Leeds, UK; Milton Keynes, UK
    2016 - Miami, FL; Boston MA; Chicago IL
    2018 - London, UK
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    JTH said:
    oona left said:

I can't help but think of the people who were in the GA line outside for hours and hours, only to lose the spot they worked for on the re-entry. 
    I certainly hope they all at least got close to where they were before the field was cleared. Figure they were last off the field, first on?  There should be a special waiting area for the first three or so rows of GA.

Anyway, I didn't pick up on any tension between Ed and Stone (or anyone else on stage, for that matter).  But I have to say, Stone killed it again last night.  The man is a hell of a musician.  Has he made a conscious effort to step up his game when he's playing the lead parts?
    2013 it was a total free-for-all.  Once you're off the field, there is no queue, order, or system of any kind.  Just packed into the concourses and out on the sidewalk.  

• moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    dancuff said:
    Smile. That's right - now I remember. Thanks. Do they always do that for that song?
    Yes
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • I was at the Moline show in 2014 and Jeff and Stone switched instruments for the night.  I believe they said at the that show it was the first time but not sure about since.
  • DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 593
    dancuff said:
    I believe so. At Vancouver 2011 they definitely did the switch.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    You fuckers got U and LEASH!!!! WTF!.!?!??! Wtf man. So jelaous!!!!!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I was at both shows this weekend- GA night one and seats for night two.   I really enjoyed night two more.  The setlist was better and there was not as much Drunken buffoonery as Saturday night.  I sat in non-10C seats and everyone around me was rocking out.   Just really liked the energy of the band.  They sounded better night one and were tighter.  But night two was like wild crazy sex.  
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    JH6056 said:
    mrnoth said:
    I think Ed skipped a verse on Patriot?

Didn't notice anything else out of the ordinary until the end of the night when Stone left the stage before everyone and they all posed for photos without him.
    I hope this doesn't turn into Baltimore again.  Lots of people speculating that Jeff was mad at Ed, etc, all because Ed forgot to mention his name and Jeff bolted off the stage at the end. Turned out to be absolutely nothing but people all gotta throw their "I thinks" in.

With all due respect, on exactly what do you base your conclusion that that situation "turned out to be absolutely nothing"??

By Baltimore I was at my 54th ish show, most of them from very close to right in front, and there was NO question that something was up and there was serious heat AND shade being thrown from Jeff to Ed that night, no doubt for a very real reason.  Everyone around me was like "Whoa, what's going on between them??!".

Now, basically at this point those guys are probably just as much family to each other as their own families, and sometimes siblings get into it, so I don't think anyone thought it was the end of the world or the band was about to break up.  But the tension was unmistakable.

Was it all better by Charlottesville?  Certainly seemed so.  But in Baltimore there was a LOT of heat there (possibly from before Ed forgot to introduce Jeff) and if you saw the way Jeff exited the stage at the end, I don't know how you could think nothing was wrong.

So I'm very curious, on what do you base your statement that "it turned out to be absolutely nothing"?  According to who or what?
    I was at Baltimore as well.  I was always under thr impression ament was pissed that vedder invited that wild fan onto the stage
  • pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    MayDay10 said:
    JH6056 said:
    mrnoth said:

Didn't notice anything else out of the ordinary until the end of the night when Stone left the stage before everyone and they all posed for photos without him.
    I hope this doesn't turn into Baltimore again.  Lots of people speculating that Jeff was mad at Ed, etc, all because Ed forgot to mention his name and Jeff bolted off the stage at the end. Turned out to be absolutely nothing but people all gotta throw their "I thinks" in.

With all due respect, on exactly what do you base your conclusion that that situation "turned out to be absolutely nothing"??

By Baltimore I was at my 54th ish show, most of them from very close to right in front, and there was NO question that something was up and there was serious heat AND shade being thrown from Jeff to Ed that night, no doubt for a very real reason.  Everyone around me was like "Whoa, what's going on between them??!".

Now, basically at this point those guys are probably just as much family to each other as their own families, and sometimes siblings get into it, so I don't think anyone thought it was the end of the world or the band was about to break up.  But the tension was unmistakable.

Was it all better by Charlottesville?  Certainly seemed so.  But in Baltimore there was a LOT of heat there (possibly from before Ed forgot to introduce Jeff) and if you saw the way Jeff exited the stage at the end, I don't know how you could think nothing was wrong.

So I'm very curious, on what do you base your statement that "it turned out to be absolutely nothing"?  According to who or what?
    I was at Baltimore as well.  I was always under thr impression ament was pissed that vedder invited that wild fan onto the stage
    Baltimore, wasn't that also the show that led to Ed firing his guitar tech? Lot's of behind the scenes stuff played out that night.
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • GivenToJam88GivenToJam88 NJ Posts: 1,187
    pulling69 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    JH6056 said:
    mrnoth said:

Baltimore, wasn't that also the show that led to Ed firing his guitar tech? Lot's of behind the scenes stuff played out that night.
    I think that was L.A.
    2006: 5/28
    2008: 6/19, 6/24, 6/25
    2009: 6/14 (EV), 10/27, 10/28
    2010: 5/17
    2011: 6/21 (EV), 6/22 (EV), 9/11, 9/12
    2012: 9/2
    2013: 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/21, 10/22, 10/27, 11/23, 11/24
    2014: 10/19
    2016: 5/1, 5/2, 5/8
    2018: 8/20, 9/2, 9/4
  • Wasn't at the show, but Stone giving Ed death stares on stage is nothing new.  Regardless, looked like a fun setlist.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    Great shows this weekend. The rain delay was a downer but we got put into a good spot, near some VIPs apparently. We were talking with a guy for a little bit while waiting and it didn’t dawn on me who it was until Chris Chelios walked out on stage. I can’t belive I didn’t recognize him. 
    NYPJ
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    Night two was a compressed set, but played like someone cut their brake line. With less time came less slow songs to ease in the evening.

Setlist was frantic and at times a little off, and there were more confused stares than shade being thrown (Jeff looking at Stone and shrugging while Eddie's going 100mph). I'm sure there were a lot of changes to the setlist to compensate for the delayed start. Who knows, maybe Stone was further back on the stage because he didn't want to get wet... :)

That's being said, props to 10c for a much more sane GA entry process at the start, too bad it reset with the rain but most people I was with early morning managed to get comparable views (and this is coming from a 2nd row center person before finding space to the side and a few people back). 

The rain once they took the stage was hypnotizing, glad they stuck it out and made for a memorable show. So many songs to rave about hearing for the first time or after a long time since hearing them again.

Props to all the great fans I met in the crowd and lines. You make my love for Wrigley that much more special every time they visit my neighborhood.

Cheers.

• shmapshmap Posts: 359
    What a show! #33 for me and #23 for my mom. I predicted that if there was a rain delay they’d go high-intensity for the first 5-6 songs, and my god did they deliver. It’s OK, Smile -> Goat -> Leash, UGH. So good. 

Great crowd around us in Section L. Special mention to the kiddo with the Leash sign, and the dad-daughter combo right in front of us. She was maybe 10-11, knew most of the words, danced and played air guitar all night. I saw my first PJ show with my mom when I was 14, and it’s great to see this younger generation keeping it going.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2018
    rey said:
    mrnoth said:

Maybe Stone had to rush off to use the bathroom..........they did have one less encore break last night, right?
    I remember Jeff storming off stage... It certainly wasn't nothing - he was demonstrably pissed off. But I don't remember if anyone ever found out why.
    I also thought it was most likely that Stone was just going to pee his pants and had to get off the stage pronto. But hey, maybe he was having a tantrum. It happens. I really don't give a shit if he was or not.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    Stone acted like he had no desire to be on stage most of the show. 
    That’s par for the course
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    pulling69 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    JH6056 said:
    mrnoth said:

Yes, as GivenToJams said, pretty sure that was L.A. later in the tour.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    JH6056 said: I'm
    mrnoth said:

Because families never fight ';-)
  • Ed yelled at Stone a couple of times. He pointed for him to move up on the stage once. Stone acted like he had no desire to be on stage most of the show. He showed emotion once and that was when Danny played the harmonica for a bit. Stone cracked a smile then. He clearly left the stage early and had no desire to be in the pic. Plenty of people on Stone's side noticed the back and forth all night along with a lot of tension between the two.
    Total speculation, but I wonder if there was some band member disagreement over whether to continue the show (in the rain and with a limited set time) or reschedule for a future point. 
    2013: Baltimore, Los Angeles (1&2), Seattle
    2009: Los Angeles (1,2,3,4)
    2008: Los Angeles (1&2)
    2003: Los Angeles (1&2)
    2000: Maryland
    1998: Washington, DC
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    nycrats said:
    Stone acted like he had no desire to be on stage most of the show. 
    That’s par for the course
    Lol, that's what I was going to say. If you're looking for Stone to look like he's having a blast for an entire show, you'll die looking. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    What a night. From the great new friends we met in the GA line to finally getting to say hi @mcgruff10 and his lovely wife. Then the anticipation of getting in on the field and setting up for the show. My wife and I were about 5 back in front of Mike right on the raised yellow cable protector. Of course the rain and lightning came and we were evacuated. We were kind of bummed because we ended up past all of the closer exits and figured we were shit out of luck for a good spot. Man oh man did it fucking rain. Wow what a scene with the lightning. When they let us back on the older women(must have been in her 80's) let us out first and our group was able to get in the exact same spot that we initially had. My wife ended up 3rd row right in front of Mike. The whole night we were surrounded by great people.

The show itself started on fire. Given to Fly to open. Wow never would have expected that. Great 6 song start. U, In My Tree, Immortality, Daughter/It's Ok and the snippet of slow Lukin with the changed lyrics was heaven. First encore we got to hear Comeback for the first time and it was as great as I had hoped. If you asked me top 5 songs that I have yet to hear it would be in there. Superb tight version and we sang our asses off. Odd spot for Corduroy but it worked and Black was great as always thanks to Mike. The second encore with out going off stage worked well too. I know people had no desire to hear Evil Little Goat before but it was cool as fuck and the baaaing at the end had me laughing pretty hard.

Overall one of the best overall experiences I have ever had at a PJ show all things considered. My wife said it is her second favourite show ever and that makes me so happy that she got such a great show. On to Fenway now and can't wait to see what the best band in the world is going to do next. 
  • davidosdavidos Posts: 466
    I just watched a Baba video on YT... to me there was no issue at the end with Stone and Ed.... Stone was out there for a loooong time waving to the crowd and standing right next to Ed... these guys are pros.... they don't have hissies on stage... bro probably had to pee or thought it was over.

as far as Ed pointing to Stone to step up on the stage I don't buy it... I did see Ed point to his sound engineer Karrie (Stone's side) to turn down his guitar (pointing down)... Ed would never tell Stone or anyone else in the band where to stand or what to do.

In every other video the band looks the way they always look... in the pocket.

Bet it was a fun show!
  • allstar340allstar340 NYC Posts: 798
    PJ_Soul said:
    rey said:
    mrnoth said:

Maybe Stone had to rush off to use the bathroom..........they did have one less encore break last night, right?
    I remember Jeff storming off stage... It certainly wasn't nothing - he was demonstrably pissed off. But I don't remember if anyone ever found out why.
    I also thought it was most likely that Stone was just going to pee his pants and had to get off the stage pronto. But hey, maybe he was having a tantrum. It happens. I really don't give a shit if he was or not.
    Stone was probably just upset with all the repeats in the sets
    08 -MSG I.eV Newark.Stone in BK.
    09 -Spectrum II,III,IV.
    10- Prudential Center.MSG I,II. Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II
    11- eV NY I, II. Bridge School Benefit Night II (eV solo)
    12- Made in America Festival
    13- Oakland
    14- Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II
    17- eV Ohana
    18- Seattle I, II
    21- SHN
    22- ev & Earthlings Beacon, MSG, Camden 

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I wonder if there was a different set list made before the rain delay. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,610
    Getting back into GA was a shit show after the rain delay. Lots of people without wristbands ran into the pit once the crowd was allowed to renter. Saw people who waited all day and had rail at the beginning end up like 10 deep. Not cool! But there was no way to police the re-entry and Minding your Manners seemingly went out the window.
    Ed told a funny story about not touring during baseball season because he was going to take a job changing the scoreboard and smoke pot all day. He changed the lyrics to a few songs to make them Wrigley specific, including a new verse for the Jack White cover.
    Strange thing happened during Baba when Ed typically tosses the tambourines to the crowd. He just threw them about randomly without regard and didn’t connect at all with the fans. I think like one person in total actually caught one. ???? Then he proceeded to smash his Strat...
    The best part of the whole weekend was my interactions with all the beautiful people I met who come from all over the world to enjoy this band and rock out together. Music is a tie that binds.
    And then there’s the final bow - minus Stone. Hmmm