*** Missoula, MT Fanviews Here 8/13/18 ***

Comments

• HaijayHaijay Posts: 297
    We’re canadian, show was awesome, wtf is wrong with people? SMH.....
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    I was never asked to register...

Not for you is always a rocker!
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    edited August 2018

The show was awesome, but probably what changed the tempo was literally the tempo and song order. Rumor was Jeff did the setlist and I don’t know if that was confirmed or not, but it makes sense if he did. The tempo of the setlist mirrored the tempo of songs he writes. Ed links songs together in a way where the flow is entirely different tha. It was in Missoula. What Ed said on stage was pretty typical Ed so I’m not sure how that would change a vibe, but maybe expectations changed the vibe.  
    This assessment is cool. Unpredictable setlist. Loved it.
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • tamisitatamisita Posts: 15
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Sometimes though I feel like I’m at a different concert than others who are commenting on the concerts I’ve seen. I was there.....on the back rail in the 10C GA. I had a blast from the outset. But then again I think they could play a set list of Britney Spears covers and I’d probably have a blast. I just have a love for these guys and the way they pour their absolute all into each and every performance (that I’ve been lucky enough to see at least). 

On the political aspect, I am another Canadian. I understood well before we went that this was a ‘get out and vote’ event, and given the crazy political environment the US is in right now anyone who didn’t think there would be some passionate political thoughts expressed must be new fans who don’t really understand the band or their history, and have certainly never read many, if any, of the lylrics of many of their songs. 

As a side note, I’m now REALLY happy to have decided to pick up a poster at the last minute rather than trying to find one on eBay after the concert ;-)
  • BS44325 said:
    If your complaining about going to concert built around voting and its pj and ur upset they spoke about politics then ur a moron. Plain and simple. It’s like a vegetarian going to a steak house and bitching about it smelling like meat. No one forced you to buy a tix and go. Get over it
    Here is where I think people have a somewhat legitimate beef...

The shows were announced on January 24 2018

https://pearljam.com/news/announcing-the-away-shows

If you read the announcement there is no mention of this being an official Rock2Vote show. Tickets then went on sale February 7th and some fans might have purchased tickets thinking Missoula would be a standard PJ rock show.

On April 18 2018 it was all of a sudden announced that Missoula would be "recognized as Rock2Vote"

https://pearljam.com/news/rock2vote-in-missoula-mt

The announcement is detailed but not completely clear that the nature of the show has now changed. It isn't specified that it is now a "benefit show" which Ed said multiple times from the stage. My guess is as the show approached, along with election season, Jeff and the band got excited and the Rock2Vote aspect took over more and more. 

Here is where the problem exists...In my opinion it isn't completely on the up and up to sell tickets to the show under certain pretences and then change those pretences later on. While people definitely expect politics at PJ shows there might have been some fans who would have chosen otherwise had they known it would be a Rock2Vote show from the get go. Personally I would have still bought a ticket regardless because I like "off the beaten path" venues and desperately wanted to go camping in Montana but others might have made different plans. The Rock2Vote aspect should have been specified from the get go as not everybody wants a "benefit show".

Although honestly how different is a Rock2Vote show from a regular Pearl Jam show besides just a teeny bit more political banter in between songs?  
  • I agree eveyone is entitled to an opinion. I'm more of a glass is  half full kind of guy and another Canadian to boot. What I love about every Pearl Jam show I've seen is the feeling I get being there, singing along with thousands of other people is something I can\t get anywhere else. I don't go to shows with any expectations and what this group does for their fans and communities is unmatched as far as i know with other rock bands. I'm grateful for whatever I receive from the band as well as the 10c for getting me tickets. All 3 shows have been drastically different so far and I've loved every one, just sad that I'm done for this tour. As for the political stuff, as a Canadian I'll keep my political  opinions to myself out of respect and love to my southerly neighbours (yes the u belongs there) but I think it's great these guys care enough to try to make a positive change. The Seattle shows have changed me in regards to homelessness and how i view it. It's also inspired me to try to make a difference. Thanks for reading and enjoy the rest of the tour
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    BS44325 said:
    If your complaining about going to concert built around voting and its pj and ur upset they spoke about politics then ur a moron. Plain and simple. It’s like a vegetarian going to a steak house and bitching about it smelling like meat. No one forced you to buy a tix and go. Get over it

If you read the announcement there is no mention of this being an official Rock2Vote show. Tickets then went on sale February 7th and some fans might have purchased tickets thinking Missoula would be a standard PJ rock show.

On April 18 2018 it was all of a sudden announced that Missoula would be "recognized as Rock2Vote"

The announcement is detailed but not completely clear that the nature of the show has now changed. It isn't specified that it is now a "benefit show" which Ed said multiple times from the stage. My guess is as the show approached, along with election season, Jeff and the band got excited and the Rock2Vote aspect took over more and more. 

Here is where the problem exists...In my opinion it isn't completely on the up and up to sell tickets to the show under certain pretences and then change those pretences later on. While people definitely expect politics at PJ shows there might have been some fans who would have chosen otherwise had they known it would be a Rock2Vote show from the get go. Personally I would have still bought a ticket regardless because I like "off the beaten path" venues and desperately wanted to go camping in Montana but others might have made different plans. The Rock2Vote aspect should have been specified from the get go as not everybody wants a "benefit show".

if you decide to skip a pj show because of what ed might say in between songs, you are going to the wrong band's shows. 
    I agree but I also understand that not everybody wants their money to go to or be associated with Planned Parenthood.
    wordo said:
    BS44325 said:

Dude... let’s be real... I know you might find this shocking they don’t like trump
    i have heard this at Bruce shows too .. shut up and play.. we don’t care.. blah blah blah blah blah
    who you watching? You just hear of Pearl Jam?
    you didn’t expect politics??? 
    Go listen to elderly woman at home on your couch and be quiet!!!!
    Why don’t you read posts prior to replying. 
    BS44325 said:

Although honestly how different is a Rock2Vote show from a regular Pearl Jam show besides just a teeny bit more political banter in between songs?  
    It’s not the politics. It’s the boring. Rule number 1 of any rock show is don’t be boring. This was the first of more then 40 where I was slightly bored. No dragon energy. Was it because of Rock2Vote? I don’t know...my gut tells me that once it became a “benefit concert” it changed the vibe. Again...it’s the band’s perogative but to some it came off boring.
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:

It’s not the politics. It’s the boring. Rule number 1 of any rock show is don’t be boring. This was the first of more then 40 where I was slightly bored. No dragon energy. Was it because of Rock2Vote? I don’t know...my gut tells me that once it became a “benefit concert” it changed the vibe. Again...it’s the band’s perogative but to some it came off boring.
    Stay home next time OR go to see Three Doors Down.  Problem solved.

https://www.3doorsdown.com/#!/events
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    You're one with negativity 
    Yes, comfort is an energy 
    But why let the sad song play?
    Carry on.
  • kerbjackkerbjack kamloops bc Posts: 218

just wonder if one of the guys pissed off in this thread was the one called out before Bee Girl?

'Have you seen the way that tree bends?'
  • blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    They were in the 10C GA area so I wondered what member was doing what in there.
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
    Tiki said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:

I guess you're one of those who think people are not allowed an opinion on a show. Not their best. Sorry. Too much Kryptonite.
  • ScottyBlackScottyBlack Calgary Posts: 9
    kerbjack said:

just wonder if one of the guys pissed off in this thread was the one called out before Bee Girl?

There's more people in this thread that are pissed off that some people are not praising the show and acting like every PJ show is a gift from god.  Stop acting like every single show is a mind blowing event, and if you don't feel that way then you are not worthy of seeing the band live anymore.  I've been a massive fan of the band since the beginning, and have been to MANY MANY shows...  and this was by far my least favorite one.   The set list was not constructed very well.  There was no flow at all...    Ed kept saying it was a benefit show, when it wasn't advertised that way....  he also read pre-written speeches word for word from a piece of paper, which was weird.
    The best part of the show was the crowd energy, the setting, and the town of Missoula and surrounding area...   absolutely phenomenal!!   
  • ScottyBlackScottyBlack Calgary Posts: 9
    It's just unfortunate that this show had to be different from the rest of the shows on the tour...
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    BS44325 said:
    Tiki said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:

I guess you're one of those who think people are not allowed an opinion on a show. Not their best. Sorry. Too much Kryptonite.
    Ya know, if you pay attention to this thread, the people who said this show didn't do it for them but don't accuse the band of false advertising or act like somehow the political content of the show was a shock, none of them are getting the reaction you are.  It is FINE to say that a show didn't do it for you, or you didn't like it, or it wasn't their strongest show or was the worst show you've seen them do.

It's because you (and a few others) insist that somehow you were duped or this was unexpected that you're getting responses like the last one.  Because if you've been paying attention AT ALL to PJ's songs and live shows (did anyone mention they've been like this for 28 yrs yet?  Cuz that's worth mentioning, if it wasn't mentioned... :) ), this show was in line with who they are and how they are live.

But note, even with your opinion which so many of us disagree with, NO ONE is saying you shouldn't express your opinion.  

You just don't like the reactions to your opinion and the points made that we're all wondering which band you thought you were seeing.  And it's also your right not to like that response, but if you keep imagining people trying to silence you, you'll keep getting these reactions.  Because we're ALL allowed to express our opinions about shows and respond to others' posts here.  Not just you.
    He likes Trumpito.  He's a big fan.
    Not sure why he didn't wear his MAGA hat to the show.
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:

if you decide to skip a pj show because of what ed might say in between songs, you are going to the wrong band's shows. 
    I agree but I also understand that not everybody wants their money to go to or be associated with Planned Parenthood.

• JF60288JF60288 Posts: 5
    I'd like to preface my thoughts about the show by saying I enjoyed every minute of it and I would gladly wait in line 12 hours all over again to get a good spot (just a little to the right of Stone a few people between me and the rail).

That being said if felt like it took them 30 mins or so to get up to speed.  Like something was missing at first and they weren't 100% into it.  They definitely came into stride though.  The setlist wasn't my favorite but I don't know if there's such a thing as a bad Pearl Jam setlist.  Maybe as it got darker out that's when things started to get better?  Regarding the banter.  It was fine.  I had nothing against it but given the choice I would trade a little banter for another song or two.  The end of the show did feel a little abrupt.  Maybe it was because of only one encore?  Not real sure but it just felt kind of weird, kind of off.  

I would definitely echo that it was great seeing Stone and his solos and watching him get in the groove.  I had a blast watching him shine.  I wish I could remember the song but there was one where Boom was just killing it and you could feel the energy coming off of him.  You could see how passionate he was and how much he was loving it.  

All in all, of course it was an amazing show.  The sound was incredible and they were all playing great.  There was just something that was a little strange about it that I can't quite put my finger on.  It didn't feel the same.  All the 10C people were amazing except the lady next to my girlfriend who complained about every person that went to the bathroom before the show started and the two drunk guys that tried to barge their way to the front before Bee Girl.  Really glad Eddie helped out with that.  This was my only show for the year and I'll never forget it.  Can't wait until I can see them again. 
  • blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    edited August 2018
    What does who a person voted for havento do with how they enjoyed the show.  Don’t be the lowest denominator person throwing the Trump name out at convenience. 
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    What does who a person voted for havento do with how they enjoyed the show.  Don’t be the lowest denominator person throwing the Trump name out at convenience. 
    Ask the trump voters. They’re always upset about something. 
    PLENTY.

I seen that guy on the train...
    JH6056 said:
    BS44325 said:
    Tiki said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:

Ya know, if you pay attention to this thread, the people who said this show didn't do it for them but don't accuse the band of false advertising or act like somehow the political content of the show was a shock, none of them are getting the reaction you are.  It is FINE to say that a show didn't do it for you, or you didn't like it, or it wasn't their strongest show or was the worst show you've seen them do.

It's because you (and a few others) insist that somehow you were duped or this was unexpected that you're getting responses like the last one.  Because if you've been paying attention AT ALL to PJ's songs and live shows (did anyone mention they've been like this for 28 yrs yet?  Cuz that's worth mentioning, if it wasn't mentioned... :) ), this show was in line with who they are and how they are live.

But note, even with your opinion which so many of us disagree with, NO ONE is saying you shouldn't express your opinion.  

You just don't like the reactions to your opinion and the points made that we're all wondering which band you thought you were seeing.  And it's also your right not to like that response, but if you keep imagining people trying to silence you, you'll keep getting these reactions.  Because we're ALL allowed to express our opinions about shows and respond to others' posts here.  Not just you.
    I have no problems with reactions to my opinion. What I can't stand are people who don't read the opinions prior to reacting. I don't insist I was "duped". I know who this band is and what they stand for...everybody on the forum knows who they are and what they stand for. I stated that I would have bought a ticket to this show no matter what and even though I didn't love it I don't regret it for a second...I had an amazing 4 days in Montana. But it is a fact that this show was announced as one thing and became another. It is a fact that it turned into a "benefit show" and it is a fact that it is getting mixed reviews. In a lot of people's minds the show was "off" and I am postulating that the theme contributed to it. Who can really say but a vibe starts from the top and "benefit shows" and "rock shows" do not always turn out the same. Form follows function.
    kerbjack said:

There's more people in this thread that are pissed off that some people are not praising the show and acting like every PJ show is a gift from god.  Stop acting like every single show is a mind blowing event, and if you don't feel that way then you are not worthy of seeing the band live anymore.  I've been a massive fan of the band since the beginning, and have been to MANY MANY shows...  and this was by far my least favorite one.   The set list was not constructed very well.  There was no flow at all...    Ed kept saying it was a benefit show, when it wasn't advertised that way....  he also read pre-written speeches word for word from a piece of paper, which was weird.
    The best part of the show was the crowd energy, the setting, and the town of Missoula and surrounding area...   absolutely phenomenal!!   
    Exactly...

The reading of the pre-written speech was actually a key part that blew it for me. It wasn't the content of the speech...pretty typical for Ed and not controversial...but there was that moment he looked down at his notes to remind himself to say the word "corruption" that was so off. A lot of people around me laughed. Weird indeed.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    BS44325 said:
    JH6056 said:
    BS44325 said:
    Tiki said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:

I have no problems with reactions to my opinion. What I can't stand are people who don't read the opinions prior to reacting. I don't insist I was "duped". I know who this band is and what they stand for...everybody on the forum knows who they are and what they stand for. I stated that I would have bought a ticket to this show no matter what and even though I didn't love it I don't regret it for a second...I had an amazing 4 days in Montana. But it is a fact that this show was announced as one thing and became another. It is a fact that it turned into a "benefit show" and it is a fact that it is getting mixed reviews. In a lot of people's minds the show was "off" and I am postulating that the theme contributed to it. Who can really say but a vibe starts from the top and "benefit shows" and "rock shows" do not always turn out the same. Form follows function.
    Or look at the show objectively and integrate that with people’s reactions. Which I said earlier is about the song selection, the tempo of the songs chosen, and the order they were played in. The band seemed to be thoroughly into it and enjoying themselves, so I’m ruling that out of the vibe equation.  
    BS44325 said:
    JH6056 said:
    BS44325 said:
    Tiki said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:

Or look at the show objectively and integrate that with people’s reactions. Which I said earlier is about the song selection, the tempo of the songs chosen, and the order they were played in. The band seemed to be thoroughly into it and enjoying themselves, so I’m ruling that out of the vibe equation.  
    Absolutely...but did song selection, tempo, and order stem from the theme? This is what I am postulating. Also you can have a show where the band is thoroughly enjoying themselves while some in the crowd are less then enthused. Finally...I said earlier that I loved Throw Your Hatred Down big time...most redeeming song of the night if you asked me. Stone completely went off and it was a thing of beauty.
    blah blah blah BORING