Missoula Poster

Comments

• willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    3days said:
    Has anyone come out asked the obvious?

How do you know who the corpse is?

In all honesty, the blue suit and the red tie seem to suggest it is Trump... but the dead guy is nowhere near as fat as Trump.

What about the hair ?? seems pretty clear to me who it is. =)
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    Art is impulsive and we're all hypocrites at times. Watch the DTE video again and juxtapose that against appearing at a fundraiser for a guy droning weddings. If you put any artist's work under intense scrutiny, you'll always find some contradictions. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    pjl44 said:
    I gotta say....overall I like the theme of the poster. I’m not a fan of the dead trump. Wouldn’t like it if it was a dead obama either.  But that’s about it, I don’t like it...but I know it’s just art. But I do wish they hadn’t put that on the poster. Maybe substitute Kap kneeling instead :)

If you see any comparison between what Kaepernick is trying to do & what Trump is trying to do...... yikes.
    I don’t. No idea how you got that. It’s just another anti-trump image that isn’t so morbid. 

Seriously, how in the hell did you get that from my post?

Because you suggested substituting Kaep for Trump. It's not that illogical of a conclusion based on what you wrote.
    He suggested Kaep protesting, not his decaying corpse

I still fail to see how an athlete protesting social injustice could replace Trump's image on this poster and still work with the theme.

• kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    Never had Sirius- who pays for radio? 
    people who think radio sucks.  Because it does.
  • pjl44 said:
    I gotta say....overall I like the theme of the poster. I’m not a fan of the dead trump. Wouldn’t like it if it was a dead obama either.  But that’s about it, I don’t like it...but I know it’s just art. But I do wish they hadn’t put that on the poster. Maybe substitute Kap kneeling instead :)

If you see any comparison between what Kaepernick is trying to do & what Trump is trying to do...... yikes.
    I don’t. No idea how you got that. It’s just another anti-trump image that isn’t so morbid. 

Because you suggested substituting Kaep for Trump. It's not that illogical of a conclusion based on what you wrote.
    He suggested Kaep protesting, not his decaying corpse

I still fail to see how an athlete protesting social injustice could replace Trump's image on this poster and still work with the theme.

It can't.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Was any of these people bothered by last years Wrigley poster of Trump as the reaper?
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    KC138045 said:
    Anyone think this may cause some protests around Wrigley this weekend?
    There were some very well armed (military rifles) security outside of the stadium in Missoula. Made me wonder if there were some threats made. 
  • KC138045 said:
    Anyone think this may cause some protests around Wrigley this weekend?
    There were some very well armed (military rifles) security outside of the stadium in Missoula. Made me wonder if there were some threats made. 

Geezuz
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072

My intention was to put a different anti-trump symbol there
    hippiemom = goodness
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    Gee, never thought of it this way
    If it was Obama instead of Trump, no one would bat an eyelid.  Because it is Trump, it's an outrage.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    wall232 said:
    I agree with this, it is a bit hypocritical. 

This doesn’t mean I agree with how the president has spewed hatred. But if you’re against what he is doing, which I’m sure most of us here do, matching it with more hatred is not how to go about. Just my opinion. 
    I don’t see the ‘hatred’ in the poster. Where is it?
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    Was any of these people bothered by last years Wrigley poster of Trump as the reaper?

I was wondering the same thing.
    kramer73 said:
    Gee, never thought of it this way
    If it was Obama instead of Trump, no one would bat an eyelid.  Because it is Trump, it's an outrage.
    There would be similar outrage, just from different people 
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Should have had Nutsack Vulture pecking at the dead corpse.
  • tubes10stubes10s Posts: 512
    kramer73 said:

No matter how you feel about Obama or Trump.... you know that this statement isn't true.  Might be a different group generating the outrage, but the outrage would still be there.  

8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    10-29-13 - Charlottesville
    4-18-16 - Hampton
  • wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    wall232 said:
    I agree with this, it is a bit hypocritical. 

This doesn’t mean I agree with how the president has spewed hatred. But if you’re against what he is doing, which I’m sure most of us here do, matching it with more hatred is not how to go about. Just my opinion. 
    I don’t see the ‘hatred’ in the poster. Where is it?

Depicting a sitting president as dead and his corpse being picked at isn't a sundae with a cherry on top. Guess we see things differently.
    NYPJ
  • tubes10stubes10s Posts: 512
    pjl44 is copying me  :)  

great minds I guess!  
    8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    10-29-13 - Charlottesville
    4-18-16 - Hampton
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    This is all very awesome.
    Yeah it is.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited August 2018
    to me, that isnt even a "dead" body.  Its just a metaphor for "liberty/democratic systems" to pick Trump clean, stripping him of all he holds dear for setting the white house on fire (figuratively).  The intent of the artist isnt a literal dead corpse.  In the plane of the artwork, Donald Trump is very much alive.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    I stopped buying posters to shows I didn't attend, but I'm liking this one more and more.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • DW183354DW183354 NYC Posts: 124
    Its a piece of art. I happen to love it, but I don't expect others to feel the same way. Mostly because thats the way art works. Its about expression. No rules. The only thing I expect from artists that I love is for them to make art. Beyond that, its up to the artist(s) to make whatever they feel. 
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,329
    I remember the protests when Independence Day came out.   I mean, they blew up the White House in that movie!  
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 782
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I remember the protests when Independence Day came out.   I mean, they blew up the White House in that movie!  
    That's some funny stuff.  Damn Aliens..
  • halvhalv Posts: 675
    DW183354 said:
    Its a piece of art. I happen to love it, but I don't expect others to feel the same way. Mostly because thats the way art works. Its about expression. No rules. The only thing I expect from artists that I love is for them to make art. Beyond that, its up to the artist(s) to make whatever they feel. 
    ^^This. 
  • JP218404 said:
    3days said:

In all honesty, the blue suit and the red tie seem to suggest it is Trump... but the dead guy is nowhere near as fat as Trump.
    or  just republicans in general but of course it has to be made out to be HIM
    This was my exact thought. Thats a brief case with a Russian style emblem. I thought it was Putin 
  • CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,891
    I never thought it was a corpse.
    A Fox News article (yeah, I read it) said the guy on the tractor was Tester. Not sure if it's true but I thought it was an odd choice to point. 
    I love this poster.
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
    JP218404 said:
    3days said:

or  just republicans in general but of course it has to be made out to be HIM
    This was my exact thought. Thats a brief case with a Russian style emblem. I thought it was Putin 
    I *think* the hair is the giveaway 
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,765
    Was any of these people bothered by last years Wrigley poster of Trump as the reaper?

I was wondering the same thing.
    That's why I bought it.
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    That poster is so 1814

yawnfest

some Old British soldiers soul is laughing
    CP218430 said:
    I never thought it was a corpse.
    A Fox News article (yeah, I read it) said the guy on the tractor was Tester. Not sure if it's true but I thought it was an odd choice to point. 
    I love this poster.
    Note on the back of the poster says it's Tester