*** Missoula, MT Fanviews Here 8/13/18 ***

Comments

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    It just wasn’t a great show. There’s nothing wrong with saying it. I have zero issue with them talking politics in fact I celebrate their right to do it but let’s not kid ourselves that the show morphed from an “Away Show” into a “Rock2Vote” show. Again that is fine and completely the bands perogative but it no doubt changed the atmosphere. The town was awesome, the venue was awesome, the crowd was ready to go but the band just didn’t deliver. And it’s ok... it’s ok...

I think it's more fair to say 'it no doubt changed the atmosphere for some'.

Most people are saying they had a blast and were not negatively impacted by the band publically stating their opinion on current affairs.

If one thinks this band was going to say nothing with regards to what is happening in their country right now... then they do not know this band very well. In all honesty, I'm surprised at Eddie's self control. While addressing the crowd in Seattle, he expressed out loud a couple times that he was trying to restrain himself from really sounding off (something I wouldn't mind hearing to be honest... it's typically funny and generally accurate).   
    I think it’s fair to say “for some” but all of us do some sort of ranking of the shows we see and for me this slots right in at the bottom of 41. It wasn’t because of the setlist and it certainly wasn’t because of the politics...it just lacked a vibe. I can’t put my finger on it but I think it’s because the Rock2Vote Festival that was scheduled for outside came inside.

You're completely within your rights to feel the way you do about your experience. It's kind of a drag that you allowed the political banter to detract from your enthusiasm though.

I sincerely think you should have come to the show expecting this and mentally preparing for the moment so that it wouldn't affect you the way it did (brace for impact). I know you know it was coming.
    Didn’t you read what i wrote? It had nothing to with the politics. Of course I knew it was coming. That doesn’t change the fact the show had a different vibe then the usual show. It was not an Away Show...it was a benefit concert. Again that is ok but it alters the tempo. It’s like festival sets being different then standard shows...it’s not necessarily bad but it’s different. This “different” just didn’t work in my opinion.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    It just wasn’t a great show. There’s nothing wrong with saying it. I have zero issue with them talking politics in fact I celebrate their right to do it but let’s not kid ourselves that the show morphed from an “Away Show” into a “Rock2Vote” show. Again that is fine and completely the bands perogative but it no doubt changed the atmosphere. The town was awesome, the venue was awesome, the crowd was ready to go but the band just didn’t deliver. And it’s ok... it’s ok...

Most people are saying they had a blast and were not negatively impacted by the band publically stating their opinion on current affairs.

If one thinks this band was going to say nothing with regards to what is happening in their country right now... then they do not know this band very well. In all honesty, I'm surprised at Eddie's self control. While addressing the crowd in Seattle, he expressed out loud a couple times that he was trying to restrain himself from really sounding off (something I wouldn't mind hearing to be honest... it's typically funny and generally accurate).   
    I think it’s fair to say “for some” but all of us do some sort of ranking of the shows we see and for me this slots right in at the bottom of 41. It wasn’t because of the setlist and it certainly wasn’t because of the politics...it just lacked a vibe. I can’t put my finger on it but I think it’s because the Rock2Vote Festival that was scheduled for outside came inside.

You're completely within your rights to feel the way you do about your experience. It's kind of a drag that you allowed the political banter to detract from your enthusiasm though.

I sincerely think you should have come to the show expecting this and mentally preparing for the moment so that it wouldn't affect you the way it did (brace for impact). I know you know it was coming.
    Didn’t you read what i wrote? It had nothing to with the politics. Of course I knew it was coming. That doesn’t change the fact the show had a different vibe then the usual show. It was not an Away Show...it was a benefit concert. Again that is ok but it alters the tempo. It’s like festival sets being different then standard shows...it’s not necessarily bad but it’s different. This “different” just didn’t work in my opinion.

What's an Away Show?

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited August 2018
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    The Rock said:
    People continually being surprised/annoyed that Ed talked politics at a show cracks me up.  As if the band hasn't talked politics or done political/benefit shows for the last 28 years.

Pearl Jam is a political band, and always has been. It's probably time to deal with it.

Looks like a great set to me. Pilate, In My Tree for the win!
    I hear you but sometimes people go to a show to just have fun and be distracted from the overload of politics in our daily lives. 
    But that isn't a "right" someone has.

Go see another artist that fits your "just to have fun" needs.
    Holy shit. What a condescending remark. Can I not have a fucking opinion ? Not everybody wants to hear politics 24/7. Left or right. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    The Rock said:
    People continually being surprised/annoyed that Ed talked politics at a show cracks me up.  As if the band hasn't talked politics or done political/benefit shows for the last 28 years.

Pearl Jam is a political band, and always has been. It's probably time to deal with it.

Looks like a great set to me. Pilate, In My Tree for the win!
    I hear you but sometimes people go to a show to just have fun and be distracted from the overload of politics in our daily lives. 
    But that isn't a "right" someone has.

Go see another artist that fits your "just to have fun" needs.
    Holy shit. What a condescending remark. Can I not have a fucking opinion ? Not everybody wants to hear politics 24/7. Left or right. 
    Wait, so.... it's ok for you to express your opinion but others aren't allowed to express their opinions of your opinion?

And seriously, did someone force you to buy a ticket to the show of a band that's been political onstage for 28 yrs?  I could understand if you'd bought a ticket to see Maroon 5 or Ed Sheerhan and been dismayed that it turned out to have political commentary, but really? Pearl Jam?  At what point do you take responsibility for your choices, since YOU chose to buy tix for a band openly and consistently political for 28 yrs?

None of this means you have to like it, nor does it mean you should not voice your opinion.  But it's also then totally your own fault if you're shocked that people are shocked at your shock.  It makes no sense, or you haven't been paying attention, and again in that case, guess who's responsibility that is?
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Left PorchLeft Porch Posts: 837
    I have no issue with the politics, but the show/set was ok at best. Lot of repeats from Seattle and only one encore. Didn’t have nearly the amount of “moments” that a typical PJ show has. I was 10club GA on Mikes side and right behind a tall, obnoxious drunk dude which slightly hurt the atmosphere a bit. Was able to move up after the first set (and away from that dude) which definitely improved my experience. 

Overall, Missoula is an awesome town and this has been a really fun last couple of days...but the show could have been better.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:

I always read what you write.

You said it wasn’t because of the setlist and it certainly wasn’t because of the politics... but this contradicts when you said I can’t put my finger on it but I think it’s because the Rock2Vote Festival that was scheduled for outside came inside. Saying the latter strongly implies (to me anyways) that the political moments took away from the experience for you.  

What did I get wrong about this?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    The concert was super good! Not quite on the Seattle level, but they played an awesome set, and the band played super well. 
    I don’t mind a little political talk at shows, I know it’s expected, but there were a lot of people outside trying to get you to pledge to vote and it came off as a bit annoying. I thought the jabs at trump were fairly light hearted during the show. 
    I prefered Seattle because the banter was more about the band and the city and not super political, just more interesting to listen to in my opinion. I’m not into either political party so the banter was fairly blah to me. 

But the music was fantastic, and that’s what you go to a show for :) 
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:

What's an Away Show?

Seattle was The Home Shows and Missoula, Wrigley, Fenway are the Away Shows. That’s how it was presented when tickets were sold way back when. Rock2Vote came later which was presented as an outside event to run in tandom with the concert. I had no doubt the two events would intertwine but I assumed once the band took the stage it would be a far more straight up rock show (like Seattle and as wrigley/fenway will probably be). I even went to the Rock2Vote festival prior and thoroughly enjoyed it. The politics didn’t bother me. It just felt like the Rock2Vote consumed the event which changed the vibe. It was no longer an Away Show as initially presented.
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:

You said it wasn’t because of the setlist and it certainly wasn’t because of the politics... but this contradicts when you said I can’t put my finger on it but I think it’s because the Rock2Vote Festival that was scheduled for outside came inside. Saying the latter strongly implies (to me anyways) that the political moments took away from the experience for you.  

Yeah. I understand the conflict. I’m not knocking the politics. Truly. I went to the pre-event and thought it was beautiful. What I’m trying to explain is how a show might take on a certain life that wasn’t necessarily intended. It really is just a “vibe” thing. It wasn’t politics that changed the vibe. It’s just that the show became something else. Some might have loved the show but others were less then satisfied. Most shows you’ll have 99% happy. Last night there were definitely some who didn’t think it was the best.
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:

What's an Away Show?

Seattle was The Home Shows and Missoula, Wrigley, Fenway are the Away Shows. That’s how it was presented when tickets were sold way back when. Rock2Vote came later which was presented as an outside event to run in tandom with the concert. I had no doubt the two events would intertwine but I assumed once the band took the stage it would be a far more straight up rock show (like Seattle and as wrigley/fenway will probably be). I even went to the Rock2Vote festival prior and thoroughly enjoyed it. The politics didn’t bother me. It just felt like the Rock2Vote consumed the event which changed the vibe. It was no longer an Away Show as initially presented.
    I hear you, and you explained your thoughts very diplomatically.  The only thing I don't get though about it "not being an Away show" is that, I thought by definition on this tour, if PJ played a concert in Seattle, it was a "Home Show", and if PJ played a concert anywhere else, it was "an Away Show".  The fact that this one also had a frame or inter-connection with Rock2Vote does not change the fact that it was a Pearl Jam concert that was not in Seattle.  I understand your point that it felt like the vibe changed, but it was still Pearl Jam, live, predominantly PJ originals on the setlist, and so it was an Away Show.

I guess I both understand your point that the vibe was different, but I don't really get the idea that it wasn't an Away Show somehow.  It was still a PJ concert (with what looks like a great setlist!).  
  • BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:

Yeah. I understand the conflict. I’m not knocking the politics. Truly. I went to the pre-event and thought it was beautiful. What I’m trying to explain is how a show might take on a certain life that wasn’t necessarily intended. It really is just a “vibe” thing. It wasn’t politics that changed the vibe. It’s just that the show became something else. Some might have loved the show but others were less then satisfied. Most shows you’ll have 99% happy. Last night there were definitely some who didn’t think it was the best.

It's also tough to follow up on what they did in Seattle Night 2- both from a fan's expectations and from a delivery standpoint.

There were some variables that could affect how some might feel about the show. But in my opinion, I'd much rather have been there in person dealing with whatever than refreshing the setlist thread. There's no guarantees with anything anymore (I'm talking about life) and moments like a PJ concert are rich.
  • Hopped UpHopped Up Posts: 220
    Important that folks in Montana be clear on their choice given similarities in appearance. https://twitter.com/jakehonig/status/1029058751603585029?s=21
    JH6056 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:

What's an Away Show?

I hear you, and you explained your thoughts very diplomatically.  The only thing I don't get though about it "not being an Away show" is that, I thought by definition on this tour, if PJ played a concert in Seattle, it was a "Home Show", and if PJ played a concert anywhere else, it was "an Away Show".  The fact that this one also had a frame or inter-connection with Rock2Vote does not change the fact that it was a Pearl Jam concert that was not in Seattle.  I understand your point that it felt like the vibe changed, but it was still Pearl Jam, live, predominantly PJ originals on the setlist, and so it was an Away Show.

I guess I both understand your point that the vibe was different, but I don't really get the idea that it wasn't an Away Show somehow.  It was still a PJ concert (with what looks like a great setlist!).  
    The band chose to market the Home vs Away show theme this year. It was a reference to them playing large sports stadiums. So this “Away” show thing was a conscious choice. The Rock2Vote event while great changed the theme of what was presented. The last thing I’ll say and the easiest way to explain it is that I did not meet one single person who said “Are you ready to Rock2Vote?!”...They only said “I’m ready to Rock!”.

• SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    The Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Please stop derailing topic integrity.
    BS44325 said:
    JH6056 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:

What's an Away Show?

The band chose to market the Home vs Away show theme this year. It was a reference to them playing large sports stadiums. So this “Away” show thing was a conscious choice. The Rock2Vote event while great changed the theme of what was presented. The last thing I’ll say and the easiest way to explain it is that I did not meet one single person who said “Are you ready to Rock2Vote?!”...They only said “I’m ready to Rock!”.

It's totally fine to agree to disagree.  I don't see anything you have said in any of these comments as making the case that somehow this particular Missoula show was NOT an "Away Show".  I just don't see it.  But you see a difference, and that's cool.  I still think you got a great show with a great setlist, and I agree with someone above who said it's hard to come after Seattle 2, for both the band and the audience.  Sounds to me like that was actually a pretty good follow up, but it's music and it's a live show and the quality of the experience is very personal, so I hear ya, it wasn't what you'd hoped for.  Me, I wish I'd been there!
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Some great highlights in this fun show out in the desert. Shorter set than usual but it's fun to know Jeff had some say in it.

Now, it just makes sense, Vitalogy at Wrigley night 2!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
    edited August 2018
    Sea said:
    The Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Please stop derailing topic integrity. Take off topic discussion to another thread. This thread is for fans to review the show. Thank you.
    Post edited by Sea on
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Cant talk politics in a thread dedicated to a show that was a political fundraiser for a US Senator?

Discussion is good for everyone, let us police ourselves 
  • Sea said:
    Sea said:

Please stop derailing topic integrity. Take off topic discussion to another thread. This thread is for fans to review the show. Thank you.

In all honesty, how are comments about the show's political aspects not relevant or within the spectrum of a 'review'?
    Trump supporters are sensitive right now.

It's hard to continually defend a f**king idiot and when one of their favourite bands rips the guy with every normal person in the house laughing and cheering... they wish that wouldn't happen. It ruins the moment for them. They'd rather Trump play politics the way he does and everybody just accept it because meh... whatareyagonnado? 

The same people don't know the lyrics and the inspiration to most of Pearl Jam's songs sooo... they got that working against them as well.

Instead of speaking condescendingly to them, we should pat them on the shoulders and tell them everything will be okay (same way Trump tells them he's making America great again). They'd smile and feel better!
    Same thing happened 2003-2006... my favorite era of PJ live shows... this shit lately has been candy coated bullshit compared to those years when EV had the mic... and the political covers..... ahhhhhh, it was beautiful 

Some of you snowflakes would have melted during that era... I wish we could get that energy back instead of the family fun atmosphere with 5 year olds and tambos flying everywhere I've witnessed the last 8 years
    I used to be one to complain about Ed talking too much politics during a show.  That was in '03-'06.  I really didn't think the world was all that bad then and like many have said here, I wanted to see a Pearl Jam show not a rally.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT...

The world isn't all that great right now. And it's because of who we have in Washington not only fucking our own country up but fucking up relations around the world and the madness, lack of empathy, hatred, & bigotry are starting to spread elsewhere.  These are trying times.  We really need to get fucking serious if we want to have a decent enough world & country left to live in.  For ourselves, for our kids, for their kids, and so on.  So, rock on Ed!  Say whatever the fuck you want when you got the mic!  Rock on Jeff! Rock on Mike! Rock on Stone! Rock on Matt!  Rock on Boom!  Rock on Pearl Jam for always standing up for equality, rights, and the causes you all support either individually or collectively as a band!  I was young & misguided once, I misunderstood the messages, but you've kept them ringing in my ears all this time.  Never stop being political! Never stop encouraging people to vote, never stop believing in your causes!  And please, please never stop using your platform to ring loud the voices of truth, peace, integrity, and goodness!  Cuz I'll tell you what, I was clear across the country last night but I'm feeling the fucking energy today!! :rock_on::peace:  
    Amen brother, amen
  • Red MosquitoRed Mosquito Charlotte, NC Posts: 68
    Terrific show. Band sounded incredible and was energetic on a beautiful evening to be outside. Amazing time. 

However, anyone else have trouble buying beer? I tried to get one late first set and the woman told me I needed to buy a drink ticket. I asked where to buy drink tickets, and she said they were sold out. I said, “So I have money, you have beer, yet we cannot make a transaction?” She said correct. Weird.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    I travelled a long distance to Missoula for a Pearl Jam concert....  not a political rally 
    You know you were seeing Pearl Jam right?
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Sea said:
    Sea said:

In all honesty, how are comments about the show's political aspects not relevant or within the spectrum of a 'review'?
    100%. I've respected all of Sea's mod decisions, but this is the first time I have to respectfully disagree.
    This is 100% a discussion about the show. So the band is allowed to speak freely and promotes that, but their fans cannot? That's just not true.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
    Of course you can discuss the politics but also review a show. This is a fanview thread for fans to review the show they attended. 
    This whole discussion has been about people's experiences of the show and dialogue about how this show and the politics in it does or doesn't compare to other shows, and also their expectations of the show and then their reality of the show.  But the whole discussion (for once LOL!) seems to have stuck to the Missoula show itself and what happened during it.  Which part Sea do you feel doesn't fit in a fanview?  Just want to make sure we're clear about where you see the line falling between appropriate for fanview and not appropriate.
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    edited August 2018
    My thing is that A. music is supposed to be an escape from all the shit going on in the world.  I can turn on TV and hear 10,000 talking heads drone on and on about the current state of affairs.  I go to these show to try and get away from what sucks in life, not just hear more about it and B. as much as I love Eddie, he's not gonna change people's minds.  Either you realize Trump is a cancerous pile of dogshit that is destroying this country and are gonna vote and do what you can to get him and his people out, or you don't.  If witnessing this clown being the cocksucker he is for years hasn't convinced you how awful he is then Eddie giving a 10 minute diatribe about isn't gonna change your mind either.

Post edited by Saltzy23 on
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
    Saltzy23 said:
    My thing is that A. music is supposed to be an escape from all the shit going on in the world.  I can turn on TV and hear 10,000 talking heads drone on and on about the current state of affairs.  I go to these show to try and get away from what sucks in life, not just hear more about it and B. as much as I love Eddie, he's not gonna change people's minds.  Either you realize Trump is a cancerous pile of dogshit that is destroying this country and are gonna vote and do what you can to get him and his people out, or you don't.  If witnessing this clown being the cocksucker he is for years hasn't convinced you how awful he is then Eddie giving a 10 minute diatribe about isn't gonna change your mind either.

And you're entirely entitled to those opinions.  But at what point do you accept that you bought tix for a band who's been political onstage for 28 yrs and if you are going for escape, you should have chosen differently?  I think that's all anyone is saying, it's like having nut allergies, and then buying a truckload of Cracker Jacks which have had nuts in them since creation, and then being all upset that you broke out in hives or went into anaphylactic shock. This is a Pearl Jam show, and if escapism from politics is what you seek, why did you buy a ticket for an overtly political band's concert?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I guess I'm also not following. they are specifically talking about the show that happened, which constitutes reviewing it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Terrific show. Band sounded incredible and was energetic on a beautiful evening to be outside. Amazing time. 

However, anyone else have trouble buying beer? I tried to get one late first set and the woman told me I needed to buy a drink ticket. I asked where to buy drink tickets, and she said they were sold out. I said, “So I have money, you have beer, yet we cannot make a transaction?” She said correct. Weird.
    what the hell?  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    JH6056 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

And you're entirely entitled to those opinions.  But at what point do you accept that you bought tix for a band who's been political onstage for 28 yrs and if you are going for escape, you should have chosen differently?  I think that's all anyone is saying, it's like having nut allergies, and then buying a truckload of Cracker Jacks which have had nuts in them since creation, and then being all upset that you broke out in hives or went into anaphylactic shock. This is a Pearl Jam show, and if escapism from politics is what you seek, why did you buy a ticket for an overtly political band's concert?
    Isn't there a middle ground in there somewhere? I understand his points.  I agree with his points.  I love his passion and desire to invoke positive change and good in the world.

At what point is it just overkill though?  Do we really need like 30 minutes of a 3 hour set dedicated to it?

There are times when even Eddie himself seems to realize he's talking too much and stops himself.

Saying the same basic thoughts, 27 different ways is just too much sometimes.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'