Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

Comments

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Hitting my one hitter in back yard just now and a hummingbird flew in. Lucky if I see1 or 2 a year here in West Michigan. Beautiful, amazing little bird. 
    I seen two Orioles a couple weeks ago while camping about an hour north of my house. I've only seen an Oriole a couple times before that. Beautiful, but wasn't able to snap a photo.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905

This guy did a brief drive-by this morning.  Dogs were losing their shit do he didn’t stop and play 
    First photo, it looks like it's about to come at you. Scary.
    I think he was actually more startled by the deck.  Kinda like wtf?
    Oh come on...your deck can't possibly be THAT big. :lol:
    Lol. I meant the dogs on the deck!  Shit :D. And yes, inanimate objects are forever scaring the bejeebus out of the local wildlife.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Dammit! The damn fox disappeared about 2 seconds before I had my camera ready!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • I took this today at my folks' house. He's one of the eagles I've spoken about a few times:

"My brain's a good brain!"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I took this today at my folks' house. He's one of the eagles I've spoken about a few times:

Great shot! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I took this today at my folks' house. He's one of the eagles I've spoken about a few times:

Fantastic shot!  Did he catch anything?
  • "My brain's a good brain!"
    Yeah!  Well done!
    Sorry I’m advance for the long post.

So I’m sitting out on my deck trying to cool down and I hear this really weird sound.  I thought it was a deer for some reason, warning her little ones about my dogs perhaps.  This sound continues sounding more and more distressed so I grab a flashlight and shine it into my neighbours yard and lo and behold there’s a raccoon stuck on the lower pillar of her balcony which is about 25 feet up.  Poor fellow is not making any progress and appears stuck.  After about 10 minutes of very distressed vocalisations I call the local wild animal rescue which of course is closed.  Hmmm, what to do next?  Call the fire department (non-emerg) and ask if they can help.  The gentleman is very nice and says he’ll see what they can do.  Thankfully it’s a slow night, so they sent some guys out to check the situation.  As I’m waiting I realise that this isn’t quite, but close to the FD resucing a kitten from a tree cliche lol

surprise, surprise!

So they arrive to suss out the situation, and there are two raccoons there!  The guy tells me that they’ll leave it till morning and if itheyre still there, they’ll call the wild animal rescue.  Anywho, after he left I went back with some dog food to try and entice them down and they were already gone!  Yay!  Now I suspect the first raccoon was just fucking with his younger sibling and not letting him up to play!  What a night!
  • ^^^

Awesome!
    Sorry I’m advance for the long post.

So I’m sitting out on my deck trying to cool down and I hear this really weird sound.  I thought it was a deer for some reason, warning her little ones about my dogs perhaps.  This sound continues sounding more and more distressed so I grab a flashlight and shine it into my neighbours yard and lo and behold there’s a raccoon stuck on the lower pillar of her balcony which is about 25 feet up.  Poor fellow is not making any progress and appears stuck.  After about 10 minutes of very distressed vocalisations I call the local wild animal rescue which of course is closed.  Hmmm, what to do next?  Call the fire department (non-emerg) and ask if they can help.  The gentleman is very nice and says he’ll see what they can do.  Thankfully it’s a slow night, so they sent some guys out to check the situation.  As I’m waiting I realise that this isn’t quite, but close to the FD resucing a kitten from a tree cliche lol

surprise, surprise!

So they arrive to suss out the situation, and there are two raccoons there!  The guy tells me that they’ll leave it till morning and if itheyre still there, they’ll call the wild animal rescue.  Anywho, after he left I went back with some dog food to try and entice them down and they were already gone!  Yay!  Now I suspect the first raccoon was just fucking with his younger sibling and not letting him up to play!  What a night!
    LOL!  Those rascals!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Yep, it was kinda adorable.  I wonder if the went, “oh shit!  The humans have arrived.  We gotta get outta here, stat!”
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    follow up:

Last night, Glacier National Park rangers apprehended Raymond Reinke, age 55, from Pendleton, Oregon. Reinke was wanted following an incident earlier this week at Yellowstone National Park when he was captured on video harassing a bison. On July 28, he was arrested by law enforcement rangers at Grand Teton National Park for a drunk and disorderly conduct incident. Read the full story at http://go.nps.gov/q7xxuc.

Visitors are reminded that harassing wildlife is illegal in all national parks. Respect these wild animals--remain 100 yards from bears and wolves, and 25 yards from other wildlife including bison, elk, and moose.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    follow up:

Last night, Glacier National Park rangers apprehended Raymond Reinke, age 55, from Pendleton, Oregon. Reinke was wanted following an incident earlier this week at Yellowstone National Park when he was captured on video harassing a bison. On July 28, he was arrested by law enforcement rangers at Grand Teton National Park for a drunk and disorderly conduct incident. Read the full story at http://go.nps.gov/q7xxuc.

Visitors are reminded that harassing wildlife is illegal in all national parks. Respect these wild animals--remain 100 yards from bears and wolves, and 25 yards from other wildlife including bison, elk, and moose.

Maybe instead of jail just drop this guy off in the middle of a large wilderness area with a Swiss Army Knife and bag of rice and see how he does.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    follow up:

Maybe instead of jail just drop this guy off in the middle of a large wilderness area with a Swiss Army Knife and bag of rice and see how he does.
    I love it!
    I took a survival class with a guy named Tom Brown and would like to think that I could endure a week or two in the wilderness but who knows.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    follow up:

I love it!
    I took a survival class with a guy named Tom Brown and would like to think that I could endure a week or two in the wilderness but who knows.  
    The Tom Brown?

As in:

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    follow up:

I love it!
    I don't think you could make a solid IPA in this time frame.....you'd be screwed!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    brianlux said:

this guy was in my apartment a few years ago.

had one of a garter snake but can't find it anywhere
    Awesome!  Bats are so cool!  We've had a few in the shed at times.

Love that frog.  Out cat Annie was desperately trying to get to something behind a bookshelf the other night.  I just figured it was another crane fly (which she sometimes eats!).  Turns out it was a little frog.  Thankfully I caught it and took it outside before she could mangle it.  This (and the fact the we have the occasional fox, coyote and racoon around here) is exactly why she is an indoor cat.  Other wise she would be a serial killer (birds, rabbits, lizards, frogs, etc) or victim to the fox, coyote or racoon.  She has a real kill or be killed nature... except with humans, and then she is sweet as can be!
    cool, where do you live again? 
    had another bat in my apartment.  Came home late last night and two things were knocked over on a really high shelf.  Thought it might have been my cat bit there was no way she could have gotten up there.  Went to bed and woke up around 5 for some reason and saw a bat flying around my apartment (which isn't too big by the way).  first thing i did was put my cat in the other room so she wouldn't be in the way.  then i opened up the door that leads into the building hallway and my porch door hoping it would fly out but no just kept on flying on circles pretty much.  Tried "shooing" it away with a box and accidentally hit twice.  second time i hit it, it fell on my chair.  i just grabbed some magazines and picked it up with them and tossed it out the porch door.  It wasn't injured, It flew away so glad i didn't hurt it too bad.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    That’s crazy.  Poor little bat.  Glad he’s okay.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    We had a bat in the house last night, and now my wife wants to get the kids rabies shots. The kids were sleeping, and we have no idea if the bat made it into their rooms and bit them.

Ugh!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited August 2018

I think this is called a fallow dear, sometimes you meet them around here :) This photo is taken today
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    follow up:

I love it!
    The big city guy who orders pizza 4X a week is talking tuff lol.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    dankind said:
    We had a bat in the house last night, and now my wife wants to get the kids rabies shots. The kids were sleeping, and we have no idea if the bat made it into their rooms and bit them.

Ugh!
    i'm sure you kids would have heard or felt it if the bat had bitten one of them.  Guess my cat saw the bat when it was in my place. Hopefully it didn't bite her.  I doubt it unless she attacked it.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    dankind said:

Ugh!
    i'm sure you kids would have heard or felt it if the bat had bitten one of them.  Guess my cat saw the bat when it was in my place. Hopefully it didn't bite her.  I doubt it unless she attacked it.
    Four shots for the girl and three for the boy. Four more over the next four weeks. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    raccoon bites are no joke.  my friend got bit by one and the doctors were seriously debating amputating his arm to stop the infection when he went in to get it checked out.  $50K and six months to recover ...
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Ugh!
    Four shots for the girl and three for the boy. Four more over the next four weeks. 
    Oh my goodness, poor kids!  Will this immunisé them for a few years?
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Ugh!
    Oh my goodness, poor kids!  Will this immunisé them for a few years?
    Yes, I think it does.

My son screamed bloody murder. My daughter teared up and dug her nails into my hand. 

It was out an abundance of caution and so that my wife won’t think that every damn time they have a fever over the next year or so that it’s rabies.

Bat bites don’t usually leave a mark, and I guess most of the time, people don’t realize that they were bitten. Also, they apparently coat their wings in saliva, so if they brush up against an open sore or mucous membrane, you could catch it that way. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    follow up:

apparently this guy likes to be disruptive when drunk....
    Give Peas A Chance…