Things that are a must do when in Chicago

Comments

• LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,174
    edited August 2018
    Take a water taxi ride or two - it'll cost no more than $10 per person for roundtrip - you can visit Chinatown and other areas.  More info here - https://www.chicagowatertaxi.com/

It'll take you on a scenic cruise around the Chicago River for about $5.      

A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905
    Take a water taxi ride or two - it'll cost no more than $10 per person for roundtrip - you can visit Chinatown and other areas.  More info here - https://www.chicagowatertaxi.com/

Great idea, totally forgot about this.
    while my mother in law was visiting from Chile this is how we showed her downtown from the river.  I figured she would not understand the formal river cruise anyway (doesn’t speak English).
    she loved it, a great cheap way to see the city.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I totally just realized that I fly out next Sunday!!! Wow.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Get a chocolate milkshake at the weiner circle
    I am a doughnut - E.V.
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    edited August 2018

The wife and I did this a few years back.  While on the river taxi another passenger mentioned that they were a guide for the river architecture tour. Few of us gave the person a few bucks and they did the tour for us. It is a cheap way to see the city. Chinatown isnt much though. Not much happening there.
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Ive done most the tourist stuff in Chicago. 2 things I haven't done that I will be doing this time is a White Sox game and hitting up the beaches. I'll probably wake up early around 5:30am and ride my bike to one of the beaches. I'm hoping maybe there will not be anybody there that early and I can enjoy a little swim and watch the sunrise in peace.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    leep75 said:
    leep75 said:
    BK221359 said:
    Brewery Recommendations Please...

Half Acre
    Revolution
    Pipeworks

*If you're traveling from Ohio and want a stop along the way, I would recommend Iechyd Da in Elkhart, IN.

*Traveling through SW Michigan via I94, try Greenbush Brewery in Sawyer, MI. As sure as you will enjoy a PJ show at Wrigley, you will enjoy Greenbush. (Pro Tip: yummy brisket)

*If you're a craft brew but and are going through NW Indiana (at the IN/IL border) you should make 3 Floyd's a stopping point for sure. 

*If you're opting to stay in NW Indiana over downtown, you can find a bunch of breweries within very close proximity to one another. Little late now, but maybe we should have had a NW Indiana brewery tour bus on Sunday. Damm!

If you're traveling from Ohio and want a GREAT stop along the way, you stop off of exit 83 (Mishawaka/Granger) and go to Barehands Brew in Granger.  Best IPAs in Indiana bar none!  Better the Iechyda and better than 3 Fucks.
    Big LOL!!! Suffice it to say, we will likely never agree on breweries. Bare Hands cracked my "not going back to" list.

Best IPA's Indiana? So, do you own this brewery? Date the owner of this brewery? Have a financial interest in this brewery? 
    Not going back??? what was the problem?  I'm not the owner, do not work there, do not date Chris (the owner) and do not have any financial interest in the business.  Just a loyal fan and mug clubber of their beer and all the bar tenders and "regulars".  So maybe I'm biased, but it is what it is.  It is easier to get to off the toll road than Iechyda though.....and I still stand behind better than 3Fs....I'm not a fan of those guys, bad experience at a brew fest with them.
    It wasn't a bad experience from a service or environment standpoint at all. It's just that some breweries have a certain something in the taste/style of (most of) their beer. Locally, Bare Hands (Granger, IN), ByWay (Highland, IN), Tapistry (Bridgeman, MI) and Hunters (Chesterton, IN) to name a few. That's really all. Strictly about the taste of the beer to me.

*Editor's note: often times at brew fests, they dont have actual employees from the actual breweries there giving the pours. Sometimes, yes, but not all the time. Hell, I was asked to do it once by somebody asking through my girlfriend. We had other plans or I would have done it. 

That said, yes, 3 Floyd's has somehow managed to contort their body in a way such as to actually insert their own head into their own ass. And many times, their employees are not shy to mimic the same action. BUUUUTT, man their food is delicious and their beer is TOP notch. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    leep75 said:
    leep75 said:
    BK221359 said:
    Brewery Recommendations Please...

Half Acre
    Revolution
    Pipeworks

*If you're traveling from Ohio and want a stop along the way, I would recommend Iechyd Da in Elkhart, IN.

*Traveling through SW Michigan via I94, try Greenbush Brewery in Sawyer, MI. As sure as you will enjoy a PJ show at Wrigley, you will enjoy Greenbush. (Pro Tip: yummy brisket)

*If you're a craft brew but and are going through NW Indiana (at the IN/IL border) you should make 3 Floyd's a stopping point for sure. 

*If you're opting to stay in NW Indiana over downtown, you can find a bunch of breweries within very close proximity to one another. Little late now, but maybe we should have had a NW Indiana brewery tour bus on Sunday. Damm!

If you're traveling from Ohio and want a GREAT stop along the way, you stop off of exit 83 (Mishawaka/Granger) and go to Barehands Brew in Granger.  Best IPAs in Indiana bar none!  Better the Iechyda and better than 3 Fucks.
    Big LOL!!! Suffice it to say, we will likely never agree on breweries. Bare Hands cracked my "not going back to" list.

Best IPA's Indiana? So, do you own this brewery? Date the owner of this brewery? Have a financial interest in this brewery? 
    Not going back??? what was the problem?  I'm not the owner, do not work there, do not date Chris (the owner) and do not have any financial interest in the business.  Just a loyal fan and mug clubber of their beer and all the bar tenders and "regulars".  So maybe I'm biased, but it is what it is.  It is easier to get to off the toll road than Iechyda though.....and I still stand behind better than 3Fs....I'm not a fan of those guys, bad experience at a brew fest with them.
    It wasn't a bad experience from a service or environment standpoint at all. It's just that some breweries have a certain something in the taste/style of (most of) their beer. Locally, Bare Hands (Granger, IN), ByWay (Highland, IN), Tapistry (Bridgeman, MI) and Hunters (Chesterton, IN) to name a few. That's really all. Strictly about the taste of the beer to me.

*Editor's note: often times at brew fests, they dont have actual employees from the actual breweries there giving the pours. Sometimes, yes, but not all the time. Hell, I was asked to do it once by somebody asking through my girlfriend. We had other plans or I would have done it. 

That said, yes, 3 Floyd's has somehow managed to contort their body in a way such as to actually insert their own head into their own ass. And many times, their employees are not shy to mimic the same action. BUUUUTT, man their food is delicious and their beer is TOP notch. 
    Use to love it. Not as much anymore. And you are right the freakin attitude of that place is outta control most of the time. Probably skipping it this go round....I still say they did something to alpha king and zombie dust a few years ago and it’s not the same. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    edited August 2018
    ^^^I noticed a big change with Zombie Dust about a year ago, unfortunately. About the time it was made MUCH MUCH more readily available. I do think it is still fire on tap at the brewery or even bottled from the brewery if bottled that day or the day prior. 

Back in February, I bought a case and didn't look at the date. It was always out the door and great within a day or two. Well, several bottles into the case, I kept thinking "there's just something funky with this beer." Looked 1and it had been bottled like a month prior.

EDIT: Still a must if you're an out of town beer nerd with some time to spare.
    Post edited by darwinstheory on
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    I would like to get some beer/drinks to keep in the hotel room so we can pre game there before hitting the bars near Wrigley.  Are there carryouts/convenient stores around downtown to buy beer any other drinks and snacks?

Sorry if these seems like a stupid question.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^ You should have no issue finding a liquor, grocery or convenient store in a relatively close distance. You’ll be good. 
    bbiggs said:
    ^ You should have no issue finding a liquor, grocery or convenient store in a relatively close distance. You’ll be good. 
    I assumed i would.  Thanks for the response!!!
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2018
    KC138045 said:
    I would like to get some beer/drinks to keep in the hotel room so we can pre game there before hitting the bars near Wrigley.  Are there carryouts/convenient stores around downtown to buy beer any other drinks and snacks?

I know there is a good store like this across the street from the Hyatt Regency that's on East Wacker Drive (which is right by the Magnificent Mile), if you happen to be staying in that area. They met all my boozy and snacky needs. It even has a deli and everything where you can get fresh sandwiches and salads and all that, plus beer, wine, spirits, groceries, and snacks. Nice staff too. It's called Bockwinkel's, right behind the Hyatt, just off N. Columbus. Open until midnight every day. They actually have a couple other stores as well, nearby. Look up their website for locations.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    KC138045 said:

I'd search for a Binny's.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:

I know there is a good store like this across the street from the Hyatt Regency that's on East Wacker Drive (which is right by the Magnificent Mile), if you happen to be staying in that area. They met all my boozy and snacky needs. It even has a deli and everything where you can get fresh sandwiches and salads and all that, plus beer, wine, spirits, groceries, and snacks. It's called Bockwinkel's, right behind the Hyatt, just off N. Columbus. Open until midnight every day.
    KC138045 said:

Thanks to you both!  I'm staying at the Tremont on E Chestnut just west of Michigan Ave.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    KC138045 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:

I know there is a good store like this across the street from the Hyatt Regency that's on East Wacker Drive (which is right by the Magnificent Mile), if you happen to be staying in that area. They met all my boozy and snacky needs. It even has a deli and everything where you can get fresh sandwiches and salads and all that, plus beer, wine, spirits, groceries, and snacks. It's called Bockwinkel's, right behind the Hyatt, just off N. Columbus. Open until midnight every day.
    KC138045 said:

Thanks to you both!  I'm staying at the Tremont on E Chestnut just west of Michigan Ave.
    You will be kind of close to the other Bockwinkel's then. There is one on East Ohio Street as well. Though there could be something even closer to your hotel. When I needed such a place I just asked the concierge at my hotel. They always know where places like that nearby are.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:

I know there is a good store like this across the street from the Hyatt Regency that's on East Wacker Drive (which is right by the Magnificent Mile), if you happen to be staying in that area. They met all my boozy and snacky needs. It even has a deli and everything where you can get fresh sandwiches and salads and all that, plus beer, wine, spirits, groceries, and snacks. Nice staff too. It's called Bockwinkel's, right behind the Hyatt, just off N. Columbus. Open until midnight every day. They actually have a couple other stores as well, nearby. Look up their website for locations.
    The 12 year old in me is laughing at the fact that there is a East Wacker Drive.  Really, wacker?!  come on.
    I am staying on east ontario so I would think I am close to Wacker drive.  oh man, that's just funny to type.  
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    KC138045 said:

"Give me a bottle,

and a muthaf*ckin' cup.

So me and my boyz ,

can get- What?- F*cked up!"

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Theres a binny's about 1 mile away.  Not sure if that's too far or not...depends how much beer!
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited August 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:

The 12 year old in me is laughing at the fact that there is a East Wacker Drive.  Really, wacker?!  come on.
    I am staying on east ontario so I would think I am close to Wacker drive.  oh man, that's just funny to type.  
    I have the same reaction and feel a little bit of shame about it, hahaha.
    East Ontario is on the opposite side of the canal from Wacker, lol, but yeah, they pretty close - only maybe 6 blocks or something. Maybe you can walk over and giggle at the street sign. ;) You too will be really near the Ohio St. Bockwinkel's btw. (Bockwinkel's owes me a cheque!)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:

Sticking with a 12 year old mind frame, whats even funnier is there is upper wacker and lower wacker lol 
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:

Sticking with a 12 year old mind frame, whats even funnier is there is upper wacker and lower wacker lol 
    I might pee my pants.  Please tell me you are joking.  Is there a wacker street bar?
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:

I might pee my pants.  Please tell me you are joking.  Is there a wacker street bar?
    Dead serious man. Upper is street level. Lower is below street level. :lol:
    Ok now I am extra confused....below street level?  Would that be like where the billy goat tavern is?
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:

There's a Hertz on Lower Wacker.
    Grow up McGruff. :lol:
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    mcgruff10 said:
    Ok now I am extra confused....below street level?  Would that be like where the billy goat tavern is?
    Sometimes 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:

KC138045 said:

You will be kind of close to the other Bockwinkel's then. There is one on East Ohio Street as well. Though there could be something even closer to your hotel. When I needed such a place I just asked the concierge at my hotel. They always know where places like that nearby are.
    Bonkwinkels is awesome .. Great deli 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:

There's a Hertz on Lower Wacker.
    Grow up McGruff. :lol:
    You said wacker.  Huh huh (in my best beavis and butthead laugh)

mcgruff10 said:
    You ever see the dark knight? That scene where they’re chasing each other down an underground street was filmed on lower wacker. It’s basically a subway but for cars instead of trains. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Wacker Drive is named after Charles Henry Wacker, turn-of-the-century Chicago city planner and director of the Chicago World's Fair.