9 covers

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    cutz said:κι 
    Was wondering what other things people will find to complain.. There u have it. 
    I don't see it as complaining. I see it as one's opinion of the set list/show. Everyone has a different experience at a show and express it accordingly. Its Art, and people have different interpretations. 
    I totally agree. I don't understand why some people are so rude about others expressing their own feelings about something. Fans aren't obligated to only have the warm fuzzies. While I wouldn't have had a problem with this setlist personally (even though I would still really like to know why PJ is ignoring such a massive chunk of their catalogue), I don't see why people are irritated by those who simply think it should have been better in their opinion. Is this some feeling of defensiveness on behalf of the band? I don't really think the band needs anyone sticking up for them like that. The fans are going to have different perspectives about shows and setlists. I think it's kind of mean and rude to insult these people for having their own reaction to a setlist. Calling them entitled is totally inappropriate IMO. Save that title for folks who actually deserve it, like fans who scam and bully their way through GA lines.
        I try to find where at the above comment u quote me I was rude, insulting, i was mean and I said that someone is entitled.. But I can't find all those in my comment. 
    I wasn't talking about your post Dimitris (although I generally think it's fine if people are compelled to complain, lol) - I was just responding to cutz's comment after yours. I didn't quote anyone who I was referring to there. ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    Was wondering what other things people will find to complain.. There u have it. 

The roof was open.
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    Shakescky said:
    mpedone said:
    So, basically this comes down to a difference in philosophies: do you go to a Pearl Jam show just to see the band perform, or do you go to see the band play specific songs? If the former, you're not going to mind covers, if the latter, you're going to be ticked off when Eddie says, "This a song by the Dead Boys," and they launch into Sonic Reducer. I'd guess most of us are somewhere in the middle (I like covers, but I could have done without the first playing of "Draw the Line" at Fenway, much less them playing it a SECOND time at night 2).

I do wonder, though, when the anti-cover folks go to EV solo shows, do they get all huffy when he plays "Big Hard Sun"?
    I could see the first performance of "Draw the Line" as a test to gauge the audience and the band's own performance, and the second performance as "look who we brought as a surprise guest. this was our plan all along."

Like you, I find myself in the middle, and I can assume people in here who seem negative about covers are merely saying they have a great catalog of originals. Some covers sprinkled in the set is fine, but a good chunk of the set list taken up by them is a downer when they have a wealth of amazing original songs where cover songs are not needed.

On a side note: "Sonic Reducer" is my cover song white whale given how much Dead Boys mean to me (I hear people groaning now!). It would be nice to hear it at some point, but if I had a choice between hearing the song or a Pearl Jam original I have not heard, then I would choose an original Pearl Jam song -- that's just me. Besides, Ed needs to quit flubbing the lyrics to "Sonic Reducer" .. Haha.
    See, it's more than just "they have a great catalog". It's more fundamental than that. It gets down to a question of what's more valid - playing songs you've written yourself, or songs someone else has written? There's a reason the distinction "singer-songwriter" exists, as opposed to just "singer". I believe that in many circles, there is a stigma against people who've made their career singing "other people's songs", and I think that's a big part of what's fueling this right now.

If the show was 27 songs from Binaural, Riot Act, and Avocado, and 9 covers, these people would have the same complaint, because they go to see songs they know as "Pearl Jam" performed by Pearl Jam. I truly believe the idea "they could be playing more rarities instead" isn't the point here. I mean, sure, they could play Glorified G in place of Comfortably Numb, but it's just as likely they'd play Jeremy or Daughter.

"I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • risrisrisris Posts: 76
    I don’t know if it’s been said but they are playing two shows which means both shows can’t be a greatest hits show.  I don’t want to pay for 2 shows to hear the exact same set list. 

I’ll say this, for the people that were there only for N1 9 covers does seem excessive. (Although I will argue that Setting Forth and Help don’t really count, but that’s a discussion for another day)

At the end of the day for those that are going to both shows, if you look at the setlits from both I’m pretty sure you will run the gamut of all the songs that make a Pearl Jam show what it is. And we will all be happy in the end. 

P.S.  Wednesday’s show was my fourth and I finally got to hear RITFW and Comfortably Numb. As well I finally got to hear Release, All Those Yesterday’s(one of my favourites), and Long Road. For every person who has seen them 30/40/50 times there are some of us who have yet to hear the covers(and originals)that make Pearl Jam who they are.........the best live band in the world. 

• mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    risris said:
    I don’t know if it’s been said but they are playing two shows which means both shows can’t be a greatest hits show.  I don’t want to pay for 2 shows to hear the exact same set list. 

I’ll say this, for the people that were there only for N1 9 covers does seem excessive. (Although I will argue that Setting Forth and Help don’t really count, but that’s a discussion for another day)

At the end of the day for those that are going to both shows, if you look at the setlits from both I’m pretty sure you will run the gamut of all the songs that make a Pearl Jam show what it is. And we will all be happy in the end. 

P.S.  Wednesday’s show was my fourth and I finally got to hear RITFW and Comfortably Numb. As well I finally got to hear Release, All Those Yesterday’s(one of my favourites), and Long Road. For every person who has seen them 30/40/50 times there are some of us who have yet to hear the covers(and originals)that make Pearl Jam who they are.........the best live band in the world. 

I think your last paragraph is why some are throwing around the term "entitled". Sure, if you've been to 20-30 shows, you might be sick of seeing Even Flow and RITFW, and I'm sure you have some whale from Ten or VS. that you've never seen, so every show they don't play it just makes your wooden leg ache a little more, but on the other hand, there are people in that stadium who are seeing Pearl Jam for the first or second time, and might not have seen RITFW, or might not be bored with Even Flow, and to them, it's not a big deal that they played a song they wrote and recorded with Neil Young instead of Glorified G or Garden. It's easy to forget this, as, if you've been to 20-30 shows most of the people going to one of their first PJ shows will be behind you, but they are there.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • seanflatseanflat Tacoma Posts: 3
    I thought of it as they might have held back some.  Played some covers which I thought, maybe a few too many, and played a few more slower paced songs than I expected.  Was wondering then coming back Friday, are they going to try and rip our face off?  Haha.  It was a good show and I'm excited to see what's in store for us tonight!
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    edited August 2018
    pdalowsky said:
    MW3384 said:
    Weak set list. Think a lot of this is due to Ed’s voice just hasn’t recovered. Painful to watch him try to get through these shows. Not sure if it’s age, cigarettes, or years of use. Gotta a feeling this will be the last of live shows for a long time if not for good. Respect the fact he tries to give 110 percent each night. No band has given back as much to their fans
    sorry but this is just plainly bullshit. 
    I saw some clips of the 8/8/18 show online and his voice sounded fine...maybe a bit thin. It's natural that he can't belt like he did back in the 90's. I'm sure songs like "Blood" and "Habit" are more difficult these days right? Smoking, drinking and 3+ hour shows must take a toll on a 53 year old voice? I hope Ed is taking good care of those pipes so they can hit the studio after this tour.

I saw Live & Counting Crows this summer and both Ed K. and Adam D. can still hit those notes! Surprised at how good they still both sound in concert. Hope EV's in this for the long haul too. Here's to a good night #2!

EDIT: here's a sample - Ed sounds good to me. Nice when the crowd helps out too! ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC7JFw9iGlE
    Post edited by thispureamericanriot on
    edited August 2018
    mpedone said:
    risris said:

I think your last paragraph is why some are throwing around the term "entitled". Sure, if you've been to 20-30 shows, you might be sick of seeing Even Flow and RITFW, and I'm sure you have some whale from Ten or VS. that you've never seen, so every show they don't play it just makes your wooden leg ache a little more, but on the other hand, there are people in that stadium who are seeing Pearl Jam for the first or second time, and might not have seen RITFW, or might not be bored with Even Flow, and to them, it's not a big deal that they played a song they wrote and recorded with Neil Young instead of Glorified G or Garden. It's easy to forget this, as, if you've been to 20-30 shows most of the people going to one of their first PJ shows will be behind you, but they are there.
    I figure it's easy for people who are happy to hear it to feel one way, and people who are not happy to hear it for the 20th time to feel another way. I'm not sure why the people who have seen them 40 times should base their feelings on how a newby feels, or vice versa. One has nothing to do with the other.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    mpedone said:
    risris said:

I figure it's easy for people who are happy to hear it to feel one way, and people who are not happy to hear it for the 20th time to feel another way. I'm not sure why the people who have seen them 40 times should base their feelings on how a newby feels, or vice versa. One has nothing to do with the other.
    no, but this is where the entitlement comment comes in: expecting a band to cater to a small portion of the audience that has seen them dozens of times as opposed to the vast majority who has not. the band can't be expected to alter their performance for a very small minority. they already change the setlist every damn show. It kind of boggles my mind what some people expect from this band. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    mpedone said:
    risris said:

no, but this is where the entitlement comment comes in: expecting a band to cater to a small portion of the audience that has seen them dozens of times as opposed to the vast majority who has not. the band can't be expected to alter their performance for a very small minority. they already change the setlist every damn show. It kind of boggles my mind what some people expect from this band. 
    I just don't think that griping about something equals expecting the band to do anything. I'm sure everyone knows the band is going to whatever is it they want to do either way. Expressing disappointment or a desire for something else just isn't entitlement at all IMHO. Now if anyone actually expected PJ to listen to what they personally have to say, and then get mad when they don't... that would be a sense of entitlement.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    PJ_Soul said:
    mpedone said:
    risris said:

I've been to 31 shows and have seen Do The Evolution 29 times. And I think those two shows where they didn't play it were fucking bullshit. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    PJ_Soul said:
    mpedone said:
    risris said:

I've been to 31 shows and have seen Do The Evolution 29 times. And I think those two shows where they didn't play it were fucking bullshit. 
    :lol: It's a good song!
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mpedone said:
    risris said:

I have to respectfully disagree. It's the BEST song!!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mpedone said:
    risris said:

I just don't think that griping about something equals expecting the band to do anything. I'm sure everyone knows the band is going to whatever is it they want to do either way. Expressing disappointment or a desire for something else just isn't entitlement at all IMHO. Now if anyone actually expected PJ to listen to what they personally have to say, and then get mad when they don't... that would be a sense of entitlement.
    You two, haha! It's like an intellectual cage match here. I bet you two were a hit in college!

argue zach braff GIF by HULU

www.cluthelee.com
    edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mpedone said:
    risris said:

You two, haha! It's like an intellectual cage match here. I bet you two were a hit in college!

Lol, do people imagine my "voice" as irritated or angry or what?? :lol: I'm almost never arguing on these boards, just having a conversation where we're not agreeing all the time! Just read my posts in a happy, friendly, relaxed tone, and you'll know where I'm actually coming from when I have these conversations, lol. I just like talking about stuff!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mpedone said:
    risris said:

Lol, do people imagine my "voice" as irritated or angry or what?? :lol: I'm almost never arguing on these boards, just having a conversation where we're not agreeing all the time! Just read my posts in a happy, friendly, relaxed tone, and you'll know where I'm actually coming from when I have these conversations, lol. I just like talking about stuff!
    Nah, I don't. You and Hugh seriously post the most thought out posts on the forums.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    my2hands said:
    They've been a band for approaching thirty years. You ever think they are sick of playing some of these songs? I don't give a damn what they play and I would LOVE to hear Again Today at Fenway.
    I can't imagine that they are sick of playing anything off Binaural, Riot Act, S/T

I would love to hear more of those songs

this is the only thing I would change with the band the past 5 years, they are over relying on the "hits" and songs written in 1998 or earlier (that was 20 years ago folks) and have seemed to move away from playing their catalog from 2000-present.... I think that is a mistake and eventually leads to being a full on nostalgia act, which I never want to see happen.

I count 5 songs plus Wasted Reprise played last night written after 1998.... only 5 songs to represent the last 20 years of the PJ catalog... and to me, as a diehard that knows the full catalog, that sucks

Mind Your Manners, Lightning Bolt, Help Help, Setting Forth, NAIS, Wasted Reprise

This is as big a complaint for me as the amount of covers, if not bigger. The setlist formula, despite the variations from night to night has gotten stale. End the 1st encore w/ Porch, the 2nd w/ RVM, the show closer is usually pretty predictable, as are the show openers. Setlists are heavy on Ten & VS, with the usual tracks from Vitalogy & Yield thrown in there. Where the hell is the No Code love, never mind the aforementioned Riot Act / ST / Binaural songs? For as much as they do change out a lot of tracks from show to show, it's still very formulaic and predictable. They're kind of already at the nostalgia act level if you ask me.

With the exception of Quebec in '16, I'm hard pressed to think of many other outlier setlists from the last 5 years. (I'm sure I'm wrong & there are some more, but they are few & far between)

I like seeing the White Stripes cover in there, but the ones they've been playing for 20+ years could be put out to pasture. I'm sorry, RITFW is usually my cue to beat the crowd, it always feels very uninspired to me.

There aren't many live acts that can hold a candle to PJ, I'll be the first to say that. Still though, the formula is a bit stale in the last few years.

my2hands said:
    They've been a band for approaching thirty years. You ever think they are sick of playing some of these songs? I don't give a damn what they play and I would LOVE to hear Again Today at Fenway.
    I can't imagine that they are sick of playing anything off Binaural, Riot Act, S/T

I would love to hear more of those songs

this is the only thing I would change with the band the past 5 years, they are over relying on the "hits" and songs written in 1998 or earlier (that was 20 years ago folks) and have seemed to move away from playing their catalog from 2000-present.... I think that is a mistake and eventually leads to being a full on nostalgia act, which I never want to see happen.

I count 5 songs plus Wasted Reprise played last night written after 1998.... only 5 songs to represent the last 20 years of the PJ catalog... and to me, as a diehard that knows the full catalog, that sucks

Mind Your Manners, Lightning Bolt, Help Help, Setting Forth, NAIS, Wasted Reprise

This is as big a complaint for me as the amount of covers, if not bigger. The setlist formula, despite the variations from night to night has gotten stale. End the 1st encore w/ Porch, the 2nd w/ RVM, the show closer is usually pretty predictable, as are the show openers. Setlists are heavy on Ten & VS, with the usual tracks from Vitalogy & Yield thrown in there. Where the hell is the No Code love, never mind the aforementioned Riot Act / ST / Binaural songs? For as much as they do change out a lot of tracks from show to show, it's still very formulaic and predictable. They're kind of already at the nostalgia act level if you ask me.

With the exception of Quebec in '16, I'm hard pressed to think of many other outlier setlists from the last 5 years. (I'm sure I'm wrong & there are some more, but they are few & far between)

I like seeing the White Stripes cover in there, but the ones they've been playing for 20+ years could be put out to pasture. I'm sorry, RITFW is usually my cue to beat the crowd, it always feels very uninspired to me.

There aren't many live acts that can hold a candle to PJ, I'll be the first to say that. Still though, the formula is a bit stale in the last few years.

i agree
    danny d
  • I've been to 31 shows and have seen Do The Evolution 29 times. And I think those two shows where they didn't play it were fucking bullshit. 
    I have to respectfully disagree. It's the BEST song!!
    Fuckin A!
    ...just got a fresh bottle.
  • Funny how personal tastes are: I've never been a fan of Do The Evolution.

It's tolerable, but I've never dug it.

I'm hoping for In Hiding, WMA and Of The Girl tonight. If none are played then oh well. It's still going to be great.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Funny how personal tastes are: I've never been a fan of Do The Evolution.

I'm hoping for In Hiding, WMA and Of The Girl tonight. If none are played then oh well. It's still going to be great.
    just for saying that I'm dragging you back into the DP thread. DTE is the best! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mpedone said:
    risris said:

Nah, I don't. You and Hugh seriously post the most thought out posts on the forums.
    I'd say I'm pretty far down the list of most thought out posts, but thanks just the same. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Lol

Don't do it. We've been getting along so great these days.

Lol

I know. I'm too busy fighting my forum wife, PJ Soul, these days to have any time left for you. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Lol

I know. I'm too busy fighting my forum wife, PJ Soul, these days to have any time left for you. 
    I've seen.

Good luck. Whatever you do... do not resort to poking pins in your eyeballs.
    edited August 2018

Lol

I feel like I've won something here. :lol:

Lol

I've seen.

ah, she and I get along just enough to stay together. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Lol

I've seen.

ah, she and I get along just enough to stay together. 
    Every relationship needs a little conflict, lol.
    PJ_Soul said:

Lol

I feel like I've won something here. :lol:
    I think Thirty is the real winner in this. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

To each their own I guess. I think it's their best song by a mile. And I know someone else who holds it in pretty high regard:  https://youtu.be/TKnD9GmqvzM?t=6m3s

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 776
    FWIW - Periscoping fan for this show and I did find the covers portion to be very interesting.  I liked the deep Neil cut, bringing out the teachers for Jack’s song, the duet with Brandi was awesome (can she come to Chicago for an encore?), and I think they did a solid job with Comfortably Numb, Patriot, I’ve Got A Feeling, and Rocking in the Free World.  I’ve Got A Feeling enabled a nice tip of the hat to Andy.  The only PJ song they played last night that I haven’t personally caught live is NAIS, so it seems that there is a good portion of PJ back catalogue that has gone dormant and several fans would prefer the deeper cuts resurfacing than to spend so much time on covers since they really can’t just play longer (3+ hours is a great show!).  As long as they bring songs they are passionate about (and they have), I’m good with whatever is served.  If they ask me my preference though, I’d request an uptick of deep tracks (because I love them and it is not like any other band would do PJ deep cuts with the same PJ justice).  Can’t wait to see what they dig up tonight!