9 covers

Comments

• I love the covers! In fact, the ones they played last night are so good, I'll be getting the boot. Bring on the covers! :)
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I love the covers! In fact, the ones they played last night are so good, I'll be getting the boot. Bring on the covers! :)

www.cluthelee.com
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    edited August 2018
    The crowd was really into the show, at least where I was sitting in the 10c section, in other news, the bathroom was full during Even Flow as usual
  • jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    I understand both sides of it, but being there last night It didn't seem like anymore covers than most shows I go to.  Like others have already said, some of those I wouldn't call covers at this point.  I would also rather see songs like Red Mesquito, Rival etc get played over covers, but I certainly won't complain when the artist chooses the songs he or she wants to play on a given night.  To me its almost like complaining about the colors an artist used in a painting.  Just sit back and watch the masterpiece.  Just my outlook of course.  I do notice around here that there seems to be such a hunger to hear "rarities" that people almost look at it like a bragging point or a badge of honor because they were there for a certain song.  I get wanting to hear a song you haven't heard before but its gotten to the point of almost absurdity in which people complain about setlist and judge a shows success by the amount of rarities.  I guess if Aye davanita and bee girl are played it makes it an instant classic for some.  Very odd to me, but we all enjoy different things about music and concerts I guess.
  • gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    edited August 2018
    One way this could go:

Person 1: looking at the set list, it seems like too many cover songs. I’d like to see them play more originals especially from later albums, or some deeper cuts from yield or no code.

Person 2: Really? I would just be glad to be there. They can play whatever they like. 

Person 1: oh, yeah! It would have been great to be there. It just seems to me with as large as their catalogue is, they could play more of their stuff. 

Person 2: yea, but a lot of those songs PJ has been playing for a long time, so much so that there basically their songs.

Person 1: they’re still cover songs though. 

Person 2: yes, technically they are, but I still think they are pretty close to originals.

Person 1: I get that, they have played several for over 20 years. However, that also speaks to my greater point of hearing some more songs from later albums. A lot of those quasi-covers could be swapped out to freshen things up. 

Person 3: (had been overheating) well it was only night one. Maybe night 2 is when they’ll play some rarer stuff.

Person 1: that’s fair. 

Person 2: and, it still would have been awesome to be there either way, right?

Person 1: fuck yeah! 

Possible endings that played in my mind:
    1. nbc star: the more you know 2. Jumping high five; freeze frame; saved by the bell end credit music 3. beer bottle clink, sharp head nod, and deep gulp 4. close up of both faces with a deeper understanding of the other; blackout; FIN in white letters 5. side hug filmed from behind. End credits with Aaron Lewis’ cover of black playing.
    Post edited by gettingright on
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • I will say it was easier to give a calm measured response after reading the whole thread. I fired off some biting things in my head a few pages back. 
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    After reading this thread, it boils down to this for me. 2017 = 0 shows. 2018 = shows with covers.
    Shows with covers > 0 shows every time. Can’t f’n wait for Wrigley and Fenway, covers and all! 
  • RobZRobZ Park City, Utah Posts: 181
    I'd have no problem with the boys coving the entire The Who "Who's Next" album.....
    2006: Las Vegas, Nevada
    2009: Salt Lake City, Utah
    2012: Missoula, Montana
    2014: Denver, Colorado
    2018: Missoula, Montana

• WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I don't mind the covers. If anything, shake them up a little more and do different ones. They've been playing some of them forever. 
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    I am hoping for at least one more cover Friday, I would be super stoked if Eddie ditches Even Blow & they play the long bad ass version of Crazy Mary where Mike & Boom are jamming off of each other, come on Ed be the dude & make it happen!
  • Spurs14Spurs14 Buffalo Grove, IL Posts: 226
    I don't mind the covers. If anything, shake them up a little more and do different ones. They've been playing some of them forever. 
    More Kick Out The Jams, Fuckin' Up, Driven To Tears, Mother and less RitFW, Crazy Mary, C Numb, Baba please.
    I'm surprised they've never covered Substitute.
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Spurs14 said:
    More Kick Out The Jams, Fuckin' Up, Driven To Tears, Mother and less RitFW, Crazy Mary, C Numb, Baba please.
    Or even stuff they've never played. 
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    edited August 2018
    So, basically this comes down to a difference in philosophies: do you go to a Pearl Jam show just to see the band perform, or do you go to see the band play specific songs? If the former, you're not going to mind covers, if the latter, you're going to be ticked off when Eddie says, "This a song by the Dead Boys," and they launch into Sonic Reducer. I'd guess most of us are somewhere in the middle (I like covers, but I could have done without the first playing of "Draw the Line" at Fenway, much less them playing it a SECOND time at night 2).

I do wonder, though, when the anti-cover folks go to EV solo shows, do they get all huffy when he plays "Big Hard Sun"?
    Post edited by mpedone on
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Spurs14 said:
    Crazy Mary was recorded and released as a studio track though. So that one differs from the other covers you listed.

Like Last Kiss - a cover - but was released as a single and was a hit. Them playing that one (regardless of quality of that specific song) I could see the point of, in a different way than other live covers. People have actually heard that Pearl Jam song on the radio.

Just like Guns N' Roses playing Live and Let Die and Knockin on Heavens Door - covers, but they were recorded by the band and released as (hit) singles. So them playing those songs differ from - lets say playing Black Hole Sun every night..

A slight difference at least. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Rumor is they will play 33 covers tonight. No originals. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    Except for evenflow
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    JP218404 said:
    Except for evenflow
    To open the show. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    edited August 2018
    JP218404 said:
    Except for evenflow
    Twist: Evenflow has been a cover all along

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,075
    Yes, it was originally recorded by little known '60s R&B act Pearl James.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    edited August 2018
    One way this could go:

Person 1: looking at the set list, it seems like too many cover songs. I’d like to see them play more originals especially from later albums, or some deeper cuts from yield or no code.

Person 2: Really? I would just be glad to be there. They can play whatever they like. 

Person 1: oh, yeah! It would have been great to be there. It just seems to me with as large as their catalogue is, they could play more of their stuff. 

Person 2: yea, but a lot of those songs PJ has been playing for a long time, so much so that there basically their songs.

Person 1: they’re still cover songs though. 

Person 2: yes, technically they are, but I still think they are pretty close to originals.

Person 1: I get that, they have played several for over 20 years. However, that also speaks to my greater point of hearing some more songs from later albums. A lot of those quasi-covers could be swapped out to freshen things up. 

Person 3: (had been overheating) well it was only night one. Maybe night 2 is when they’ll play some rarer stuff.

Person 1: that’s fair. 

Person 2: and, it still would have been awesome to be there either way, right?

Person 1: fuck yeah! 

Possible endings that played in my mind:
    1. nbc star: the more you know 2. Jumping high five; freeze frame; saved by the bell end credit music 3. beer bottle clink, sharp head nod, and deep gulp 4. close up of both faces with a deeper understanding of the other; blackout; FIN in white letters 5. side hug filmed from behind. End credits with Aaron Lewis’ cover of black playing.
    6. Mexican standoff with no ending (fade to black)
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    JP218404 said:
    Except for evenflow
    Twist: Evenflow has been a cover all along

HAHAHAHAHA
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I really hope they close out tonight's show by covering Jimi Hendrix covering Bob Dylan on All Around the Watchtower :wink:
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    tbergs said:
    I really hope they close out tonight's show by covering Jimi Hendrix covering Bob Dylan on All Around the Watchtower :wink:
    Do it while sounding like a Virginian faking an Irish accent, and call it a cover of Dave Matthews covering U2 covering Hendrix covering Dylan.

I would love it if they did this at Fenway (without the accents).
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    And anyone who questions it will be dubbed a "whiner."
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • ShakesckyShakescky Posts: 342
    mpedone said:
    So, basically this comes down to a difference in philosophies: do you go to a Pearl Jam show just to see the band perform, or do you go to see the band play specific songs? If the former, you're not going to mind covers, if the latter, you're going to be ticked off when Eddie says, "This a song by the Dead Boys," and they launch into Sonic Reducer. I'd guess most of us are somewhere in the middle (I like covers, but I could have done without the first playing of "Draw the Line" at Fenway, much less them playing it a SECOND time at night 2).

I do wonder, though, when the anti-cover folks go to EV solo shows, do they get all huffy when he plays "Big Hard Sun"?
    I could see the first performance of "Draw the Line" as a test to gauge the audience and the band's own performance, and the second performance as "look who we brought as a surprise guest. this was our plan all along."

Like you, I find myself in the middle, and I can assume people in here who seem negative about covers are merely saying they have a great catalog of originals. Some covers sprinkled in the set is fine, but a good chunk of the set list taken up by them is a downer when they have a wealth of amazing original songs where cover songs are not needed.

On a side note: "Sonic Reducer" is my cover song white whale given how much Dead Boys mean to me (I hear people groaning now!). It would be nice to hear it at some point, but if I had a choice between hearing the song or a Pearl Jam original I have not heard, then I would choose an original Pearl Jam song -- that's just me. Besides, Ed needs to quit flubbing the lyrics to "Sonic Reducer" .. Haha.
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    PJ_Soul said:
    cutz said:κι 
    Was wondering what other things people will find to complain.. There u have it. 
    I don't see it as complaining. I see it as one's opinion of the set list/show. Everyone has a different experience at a show and express it accordingly. Its Art, and people have different interpretations. 
    I totally agree. I don't understand why some people are so rude about others expressing their own feelings about something. Fans aren't obligated to only have the warm fuzzies. While I wouldn't have had a problem with this setlist personally (even though I would still really like to know why PJ is ignoring such a massive chunk of their catalogue), I don't see why people are irritated by those who simply think it should have been better in their opinion. Is this some feeling of defensiveness on behalf of the band? I don't really think the band needs anyone sticking up for them like that. The fans are going to have different perspectives about shows and setlists. I think it's kind of mean and rude to insult these people for having their own reaction to a setlist. Calling them entitled is totally inappropriate IMO. Save that title for folks who actually deserve it, like fans who scam and bully their way through GA lines.
        I try to find where at the above comment u quote me I was rude, insulting, i was mean and I said that someone is entitled.. But I can't find all those in my comment. 
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't see it as complaining. I see it as one's opinion of the set list/show. Everyone has a different experience at a show and express it accordingly. Its Art, and people have different interpretations. 
    I totally agree. I don't understand why some people are so rude about others expressing their own feelings about something. Fans aren't obligated to only have the warm fuzzies. While I wouldn't have had a problem with this setlist personally (even though I would still really like to know why PJ is ignoring such a massive chunk of their catalogue), I don't see why people are irritated by those who simply think it should have been better in their opinion. Is this some feeling of defensiveness on behalf of the band? I don't really think the band needs anyone sticking up for them like that. The fans are going to have different perspectives about shows and setlists. I think it's kind of mean and rude to insult these people for having their own reaction to a setlist. Calling them entitled is totally inappropriate IMO. Save that title for folks who actually deserve it, like fans who scam and bully their way through GA lines.
        I try to find where at the above comment u quote me I was rude, insulting, i was mean and I said that someone is entitled.. But I can't find all those in my comment. 
    You called it “complaining” when someone asked a question about too many covers. Sure you didn’t mean it as a cutdown. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    How about Stone covering Eddie tonight on this song:
    https://youtu.be/pHvpPdD0KfU
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    PJ_Soul said:
    You called it “complaining” when someone asked a question about too many covers. Sure you didn’t mean it as a cutdown. 
      Allison can answer by herself. I'm sure no need a laywer
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    tbergs said:
    Ok, what the hell are people counting as covers these days? Anything the band didn't write as Pearl Jam? I honestly don't think the band sees half of those songs as covers anymore. They play some of them pretty much every show now. They surpassed "cover" a long time ago. Also, are people really counting the brief Beatles cover of Help as the lead in to Help, Help? If so, we better start counting the outros of Betterman, YL and Daughter. Oh, also what about Setting Forth? Total Ed only song. What does that put us at for last night, 11?

Anyway, I agree, we need more from the forgotten albums, but I think the 9 covers claim is pushing it.
    Yes. I was at the show. Started oh so well. However, the back and forth between pj hits and covers during the second half killed the momentum for me, tbh.