Options

9 covers

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    RP112579 said:
    RP112579 said:
    I love how a fan gives an honest opinion bout a band who welcomes open dialogue and yet gets shot down, typical of fellow fans. The band coulda did without nearly all those covers. I mean white stripes, really? Why not cover soundgarden or totd or mlb instead of playing Baba O'Riley for the 400th time or c numb? I have an idea maybe play your own songs. If people wanted to see a cover band, they'd go see zac brown band. 

Cue the hate in 3...2...1
    "Screw the covers! Unless it's from these bands, then awesome!" Some serious talking from both sides of your mouth here :lol:
    Well I mean it is the home shows, right? Why not honor hometown  legends who have passed away?
    You literally said that they should play their own songs and go see zac brown band if you want to see a cover band. Can't have it both ways.
    Yeah but playing Chloe/Crown or doing a Soundgarden cover with Kim/Matt is hardly the same as playing RITFW
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    RP112579 said:
    RP112579 said:
    I love how a fan gives an honest opinion bout a band who welcomes open dialogue and yet gets shot down, typical of fellow fans. The band coulda did without nearly all those covers. I mean white stripes, really? Why not cover soundgarden or totd or mlb instead of playing Baba O'Riley for the 400th time or c numb? I have an idea maybe play your own songs. If people wanted to see a cover band, they'd go see zac brown band. 

Cue the hate in 3...2...1
    "Screw the covers! Unless it's from these bands, then awesome!" Some serious talking from both sides of your mouth here :lol:
    Well I mean it is the home shows, right? Why not honor hometown  legends who have passed away?
    You literally said that they should play their own songs and go see zac brown band if you want to see a cover band. Can't have it both ways.
    Yeah but playing Chloe/Crown or doing a Soundgarden cover with Kim/Matt is hardly the same as playing RITFW
    I'm not arguing that. He said no covers, play your own songs. You can't say play these other covers the very next sentence. He may not be a kiss ass, but he's a hypocrite.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    If Wrigley has a set list anywhere close to this...then bring on the fucking covers!!!!  I can’t fucking wait!  Let’s go!  Best live band around. Nothing like live PJ!

oh and pleeeeeease play “were gonna be friends” in Chicago!  One of my favorite songs ever
    if there ever was a song by a peer rock band I never would have imagined they'd play, it's that one. what a treat. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    This effing thread :tired_face:

Pearl Jam, please play songs found on the back cover of your albums and also maybe a cover or two from a band I approve of first.

@my2hands said it best when they ran down how much of a "cover" some of these are. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    WashedWashed Posts: 736
    If Wrigley has a set list anywhere close to this...then bring on the fucking covers!!!!  I can’t fucking wait!  Let’s go!  Best live band around. Nothing like live PJ!

oh and pleeeeeease play “were gonna be friends” in Chicago!  One of my favorite songs ever
    Agreed - I was excited reading the setlist and can't wait for them to mix things up in Wrigley. With no new music released for a while, I like that the covers mix it up a bit. 
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931

+1 all the way around! 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931

Chloe/Crown would be huge....hope they get it night 2
    I hope Seattle gets it. If not, I’d love to hear it at Wrigley or Fenway. One of these shows will be the lucky winner. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883

if there ever was a song by a peer rock band I never would have imagined they'd play, it's that one. what a treat. 
    That is one of my all time favorite songs and I can totally see ed kicking ass on it.  Plus his daughters brought out their favorite teachers; how awesome is that?!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,285
    The reason I've gone to 70+ shows is because I never know what is going to happen when they take the stage.  Every single time I've seen them there has been some element of surprise (set length, rarities, full album in sequence, hits, B-sides, crowd energy, band energy) Its why we keep going back for more.  One of the many surprises last night was the amount of covers but Friday might see 2or3 covers.  Last night was a GREAT show!!!  A little different, but GREAT! Just my 2 cents
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    cutz said:
    Was wondering what other things people will find to complain.. There u have it. 
    I don't see it as complaining. I see it as one's opinion of the set list/show. Everyone has a different experience at a show and express it accordingly. Its Art, and people have different interpretations. 
    I totally agree. I don't understand why some people are so rude about others expressing their own feelings about something. Fans aren't obligated to only have the warm fuzzies. While I wouldn't have had a problem with this setlist personally (even though I would still really like to know why PJ is ignoring such a massive chunk of their catalogue), I don't see why people are irritated by those who simply think it should have been better in their opinion. Is this some feeling of defensiveness on behalf of the band? I don't really think the band needs anyone sticking up for them like that. The fans are going to have different perspectives about shows and setlists. I think it's kind of mean and rude to insult these people for having their own reaction to a setlist. Calling them entitled is totally inappropriate IMO. Save that title for folks who actually deserve it, like fans who scam and bully their way through GA lines.
    while there are some who come to the defence of the band as a reflex, it's much less than some accuse I think. I think it's more how it's presented with words like "pathetic" and "awful". Really? pathetic? Sorry, not seeing it. 

I have a friend (same guy who hates all the QOTSA you love, LOL) who I can't go to shows with anymore. Every single time he's got some ridiculous critique of the show. After the RHCP show, I was on a high. He says "eh, Chad Smith's snare sounded too tinny for me, wasn't a fan of that show". It can bring you down as an attendee of that show. 

I guess maybe it's also that I've only seen them 5 times, which is nothing compared to the majority here, so I'd pretty much be ecstatic with any setlist they played. 
    You're right - I wasn't considering the people who seriously pan the band with language like that - it's a two way street; using insults like pathetic or entitled or worse isn't okay either way. I was just thinking about the people who have a reasonably balanced attitude about it, lol.
    And it is way worse on the way out of the arena. I have a friend like yours, but he does it for movies. EVERY movie I've ever seen with him, he grumbles about it the second we out out of our seats and on the way to car, with stupid criticisms that he seems to make more meaningful than they should be and that make me wonder if he's actually TRYING to not like the film. Meanwhile, I liked the movie, and just want 5 fucking minutes after it's done to simply absorb my enjoyment of a good movie and have a happy walk to the damn parking lot before someone starts bitching about it for no real reason other than to be a grouch, lol. It's a real downer when people do that! .... But if I read such criticisms online the next day? I don't care at all and definitely don't feel the need to trash people who criticize things about the movie, haha.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    This effing thread :tired_face:

Pearl Jam, please play songs found on the back cover of your albums and also maybe a cover or two from a band I approve of first.

@my2hands said it best when they ran down how much of a "cover" some of these are. 
    No judgement here, I just want to say that it weirds me out when people say a cover isn't really a cover, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    pdalowsky said:
    Setlist looked pretty good from afar. Heard the crowd wasnt too great, but the performance was amazing. 

This is part 1 of a two night affair, sets up night 2 very nicely for me
    My thoughts exactly! Onya!!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Chloe/Crown would be huge....hope they get it night 2
    Yup
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    If I could make a different setlist lament.... While this isn't the case every show, it seems that a vast majority of the shows over the past 5 years open with a few "soft" songs. Last night was another occurrence (Long Road, Release, Low Light, Small Town). It does make for some predictability, which used to be a rare thing at PJ shows. And speaking from a personal tastes standpoint, I'm ready to fucking rock when PJ show (or any concert for that matter) begins. I like Long Road and Release as openers as much as the next person. But after that, give me Animal/Go/Last Exit/ Evolution/Hail Hail/whatever over something like Low Light. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    If I could make a different setlist lament.... While this isn't the case every show, it seems that a vast majority of the shows over the past 5 years open with a few "soft" songs. Last night was another occurrence (Long Road, Release, Low Light, Small Town). It does make for some predictability, which used to be a rare thing at PJ shows. And speaking from a personal tastes standpoint, I'm ready to fucking rock when PJ show (or any concert for that matter) begins. I like Long Road and Release as openers as much as the next person. But after that, give me Animal/Go/Last Exit/ Evolution/Hail Hail/whatever over something like Low Light. 
    I personally dislike Low Light a lot on the album, but if I was there and the sun was setting at the same time; it would be awesome. Otherwise, yeah, it seems to be that about 75% of the time they come out soft these days, but there's at least enough mystery to which songs they will choose from a handful that you still don't know, unlike the set closers, but honestly, who doesn't want to hear that amazing RVM and Porch closer? Hard to beat those live. I could do for some change on show closers though.
  • Options
    EnjoyBeingEnjoyBeing Posts: 125
    edited August 2018
    pdalowsky said:
    my2hands said:

let me break this down a little 

BRAVO

pdalowsky said:
    my2hands said:

Patriot -  Do Grateful Dead fans consider Morning Dew a cover, I sure don't)

so yeah, this "too many covers" thing is overhyped BS in my opinion, keep them coming!!!

BRAVO
    Yes.  I do consider Morning Dew a cover because it is. And, I’m thankful the Dead played it every year more than once a year for all 30 years. It was one of the best songs they played because of how they played it. That said, I understand your point.

Moreover, I echo the BRAVO! Personally, I’m happy to hear what PJ wants to play.

(Also, R.I.P. Jerry. 8/9/95)

Post edited by EnjoyBeing on
  • Options
    chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    God I hope they open tomorrow night with a cover...
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    Last Kiss please. 
  • Options
    Last Kiss please. 
    Then into future days and just breathe.  Would ga clear out after those three songs? Lol
  • Options
    Everybody will shit themselves tomorrow when they play Vitalogy and Riot Act. :wink:

Besides, this is a 2 night stand, odds are they got all the covers out of the way last night so tomorrow they can blow the roof off the dump. They know most people are going to both shows. I would predict maybe 2 covers tomorrow; Arms Aloft and Baba ( or maybe Crazy Mary).
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Last Kiss please. 
    Then into future days and just breathe.  Would ga clear out after those three songs? Lol
    Then hit em’ with a lil’ Sirens
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Last Kiss please. 
    Don't forget Sleeping By Myself too!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Last Kiss please. 
    Then into arms aloft. (Kill the crowd energy pj 20 style!)
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    tbergs said:
    Everybody will shit themselves tomorrow when they play Vitalogy and Riot Act. :wink:

Besides, this is a 2 night stand, odds are they got all the covers out of the way last night so tomorrow they can blow the roof off the dump. They know most people are going to both shows. I would predict maybe 2 covers tomorrow; Arms Aloft and Baba ( or maybe Crazy Mary).
    The dump? They aren't playing Wrigley until next weekend.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Last Kiss please. 
    Lol! I missed night one (was at night 2). My bro was at night 1 and said the same thing about arms aloft
    - Chicago G

• Options
    ShakesckyShakescky Posts: 342
    edited August 2018
    I can see how too many covers seem excessive compared to originals with Pearl Jam. I agree with this particular show, not including the snippets, but there is always how it looks on paper versus being there in person. I must remember though that a good chunk of covers with this band is a minor issue. Maybe the band set the bar too high with the past and they are doomed in eyes of the die hard fans who enjoy critiquing from a fan standpoint.

I have seen some bands on yearly tour cycles with a career spanning twenty plus, and eight studio albums, yet their shows have the same banter throughout the particular cycle, and even stage mannerisms for the past five years. The only artist I feel can get away with such an act is Iggy.

edit: If a song performed isn't a Pearl Jam original, then it is a cover song when the band performs it. The band could cover "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" with their own arrangement, release it, perform the song about eight hundred times in concert, win a ton of accolades, and arguably be better than the original song, and you know at the end of the day it is still a song originally written and performed by The Proclaimers.
    Post edited by Shakescky on
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
  • Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Last Kiss please. 
    Aug 10 setlist predictions:

Just Breathe
    Sleeping By Myself
    Last Kiss
    Again Today
    Sirens
    RITFW (acoustic)

Mic drop! Crowd goes wild!!! ;)

• Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,801
    D-Rod said:
    anybody else think that’s a bit excessive ?   33 songs and 9 are covers 
    For the record, I thought the boys put on an amazing show as always.  I also agreed with a few people that said the crowd was weak. There was rows emptying out before Yellow Ledbetter.   Never seen that before 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Yeah, but they were good covers played by Pearl Jam, the popular singing group from Seattle, Washington. I'm only pissed off about the fact that I got charged $44 at the venue for two hot dogs and two cups of Pepsi, but then, hey, I paid for it