9 covers

Comments

• Micheyb21Micheyb21 UK Posts: 235
    I get everyone is entitled to their opinion but cmon it was their first home gig in 5 years and I would have killed to have experienced that alone regardless of what was on the set.  I just continue to be happy that they continue to tour and obviously still enjoy it. I personally love hearing covers and the bands take on them. The Help intro this year was amazing and I loved I wont back down in London was a very special moment. I never got to see these original artists perform live and the fact I get to hear our amazing guys play it makes me so happy. We are so blessed that we get such mixed sets every time and it is evident at each show the band love to chance of playing covers of bands and artists that they admire and respect and that in turn makes me very happy. Keep em coming in my opinion 
    2000 Cardiff/ 2006 Paris/ 2011 Toronto/ 2013 Chicago/ 2014 Amsterdam 1 & Milton Keynes, 
    2016 MSG 1 & 2/ 2017 London Ed solo/ 2018 London 1, Padua, Rome, Prague & London 2
    2019 Dusseldorf & Dublin Ed Solo  
    2022 Copenhagen, London 1&2, Budapest, Krakow, Vienna, Prague, Ams 1 & Ams 2
    2024 Manchester, London, Auckland & Sydney
  • shermsherm Seattle, Wa Posts: 708
    Um, I still had a good time, how about you?
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18 
  • EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 684
    edited August 2018
    11 covers. You forgot Save it for Later and Little Wing.  ;) 
  • boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Could have been worse.  They could have played 9 covers AND Sleeping By Myself.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    After Europe, I thought they had pulled back on the covers.. I did Prague and Krakow and they only did 2 covers each night.. 
    Not that I mind covers.. But the post Yield albums should generally be played more IMO..

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    boyo79 said:
    Could have been worse.  They could have played 9 covers AND Sleeping By Myself.
    Lol. Hoping it gets missed tomorrow night too. Does not fit the stadium atmosphere imo. Only really enjoy it at his solo shows. 
  • JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    Personally, would like less covers. if not less, then a couple new ones would be great.  in the end, we all get to see an amazing band do what they do best.  different sets every night is what gets us all going every time!  be happy you're in the building and live in the moment.  oh and take a piss during even flow ;)
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Was wondering what other things people will find to complain.. There u have it. 
    I don't see it as complaining. I see it as one's opinion of the set list/show. Everyone has a different experience at a show and express it accordingly. Its Art, and people have different interpretations. 
    wall232 said:
    There's always going to be those that complain about the complainers. Ironic. 

9 covers is a bit much, let's say 4 of those could have been rare PJ songs that we would all love to hear. It's a valid point, but the awful and pathetic comments are a bit much though. 
    Yeah, how about this one that was posted in another thread, when some gave their OWN experience of the show/set list:

i've never posted here, but felt i had to, cause y'all some spoiled ass mother fuckers.   nit picking that the show was no good because you didn't hear a song you've never heard before.   when you are actually at a show, and better man comes on, it's awesome.   the crowd loves it.  the energy is great.   looking at it on paper, you breeze past it.  but who gives a shit about the setlist.   just enjoy the show for what you get, not complaining about what you didn't 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2018
    cutz said:
    I don't see it as complaining. I see it as one's opinion of the set list/show. Everyone has a different experience at a show and express it accordingly. Its Art, and people have different interpretations. 
    I totally agree. I don't understand why some people are so rude about others expressing their own feelings about something. Fans aren't obligated to only have the warm fuzzies. While I wouldn't have had a problem with this setlist personally (even though I would still really like to know why PJ is ignoring such a massive chunk of their catalogue), I don't see why people are irritated by those who simply think it should have been better in their opinion. Is this some feeling of defensiveness on behalf of the band? I don't really think the band needs anyone sticking up for them like that. The fans are going to have different perspectives about shows and setlists. I think it's kind of mean and rude to insult these people for having their own reaction to a setlist. Calling them entitled is totally inappropriate IMO. Save that title for folks who actually deserve it, like fans who scam and bully their way through GA lines.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Takin a brake from the band is always a good remedy in MHO , i need new music to get me fired up about this band the live shows just don't do it for me at this juncture i hope i get it back at some point ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387

PJ_Soul said:
    cutz said:
    I totally agree. I don't understand why some people are so rude about others expressing their own feelings about something. Fans aren't obligated to only have the warm fuzzies. While I wouldn't have had a problem with this setlist personally (even though I would still really like to know why PJ is ignoring such a massive chunk of their catalogue), I don't see why people irritated by those who simply think it should have been better in their opinion. Is this some feeling of defensiveness on behalf of the band? I don't really think the band needs anyone sticking up for them like that. The fans are going to have different perspectives about shows and setlists. I think it's kind of mean and rude to insult these people for having their own reaction to a setlist. Calling them entitled is totally inappropriate IMO. Save that title for folks who actually deserve it, like fans who scam and bully their way through GA lines.

+1
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    cutz said:
    I totally agree. I don't understand why some people are so rude about others expressing their own feelings about something. Fans aren't obligated to only have the warm fuzzies. While I wouldn't have had a problem with this setlist personally (even though I would still really like to know why PJ is ignoring such a massive chunk of their catalogue), I don't see why people are irritated by those who simply think it should have been better in their opinion. Is this some feeling of defensiveness on behalf of the band? I don't really think the band needs anyone sticking up for them like that. The fans are going to have different perspectives about shows and setlists. I think it's kind of mean and rude to insult these people for having their own reaction to a setlist. Calling them entitled is totally inappropriate IMO. Save that title for folks who actually deserve it, like fans who scam and bully their way through GA lines.
    while there are some who come to the defence of the band as a reflex, it's much less than some accuse I think. I think it's more how it's presented with words like "pathetic" and "awful". Really? pathetic? Sorry, not seeing it. 

I have a friend (same guy who hates all the QOTSA you love, LOL) who I can't go to shows with anymore. Every single time he's got some ridiculous critique of the show. After the RHCP show, I was on a high. He says "eh, Chad Smith's snare sounded too tinny for me, wasn't a fan of that show". It can bring you down as an attendee of that show. 

I guess maybe it's also that I've only seen them 5 times, which is nothing compared to the majority here, so I'd pretty much be ecstatic with any setlist they played. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mcgruff10 said:
    I would have loved hearing for the first time:  help,we’re gonna be friends, comfortably numb and i’ve Got a feeling!!
    long road into release....wow.  
    Awesome intro and awesome show.

The entitlement is a little much around here right now. There were rarer songs I wanted to hear, but not hearing them never ruined my night one bit.

They played for over over three hours. They more than earned the right to play some covers they wanted to have fun with.

Fantastic show and so glad to be there.

* Even Flow took on a whole new meaning for me listening to Ed speak to the inspiration for it.
      First thing I said after listening g the story was even flow should be played in every fuckin show only cos of  the story
    Funny.

I kinda thought similarly. I thought 'no wonder they play it every show'!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    I love how a fan gives an honest opinion bout a band who welcomes open dialogue and yet gets shot down, typical of fellow fans. The band coulda did without nearly all those covers. I mean white stripes, really? Why not cover soundgarden or totd or mlb instead of playing Baba O'Riley for the 400th time or c numb? I have an idea maybe play your own songs. If people wanted to see a cover band, they'd go see zac brown band. 

Cue the hate in 3...2...1
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

PJ_Soul said:
    cutz said:
    And how about this insult i read on another thread:

i've never posted here, but felt i had to, cause y'all some spoiled ass mother fuckers.   nit picking that the show was no good because you didn't hear a song you've never heard before.   when you are actually at a show, and better man comes on, it's awesome.   the crowd loves it.  the energy is great.   looking at it on paper, you breeze past it.  but who gives a shit about the setlist.   just enjoy the show for what you get, not complaining about what you didn't 
    I love how a fan gives an honest opinion bout a band who welcomes open dialogue and yet gets shot down, typical of fellow fans. The band coulda did without nearly all those covers. I mean white stripes, really? Why not cover soundgarden or totd or mlb instead of playing Baba O'Riley for the 400th time or c numb? I have an idea maybe play your own songs. If people wanted to see a cover band, they'd go see zac brown band. 

I had no issue with the original post. there was no negativity in it, just an honest question/opinion. Many of the following comments, however, not so much. 

it's funny you end with "cue the hate" when that's what most of your post contains itself. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I had no issue with the original post. there was no negativity in it, just an honest question/opinion. Many of the following comments, however, not so much. 

it's funny you end with "cue the hate" when that's what most of your post contains itself. 
    My post was not hate, I don't ever hate. The fact that for a band with a deep catalogue chooses to do 9 covers is flat out absurd. Sorry for being honest and not a kissass. They can do whatever they want and they have that right. I love the who, they are my favorite band, but I'd rather pj play one of their own songs. 

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937

no doubt....I just checked ZBB's setlist from Noblesville....12 covers...8 of which were the last 8 songs played
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

My post was not hate, I don't ever hate. The fact that for a band with a deep catalogue chooses to do 9 covers is flat out absurd. Sorry for being honest and not a kissass. They can do whatever they want and they have that right. I love the who, they are my favorite band, but I'd rather pj play one of their own songs. 
     "Sorry for being honest and not a kissass."

these types of comments always speak for themselves and make me laugh. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Kissass's always make me laugh

• RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    edited August 2018

"Screw the covers! Unless it's from these bands, then awesome!" Some serious talking from both sides of your mouth here :lol:
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center

no doubt....I just checked ZBB's setlist from Noblesville....12 covers...8 of which were the last 8 songs played
    Check out their setlist from citi field night 2, 12 covers. One of my favorite bands.  i saw them twice over the years and the covers turned me off from ever seeing them again.

Kissass's always make me laugh
    by your simple logic:

so if you criticize the band, you are honest. 
    if you take the band's side, you are a kissass. 

since I've done both on multiple occasions, what does that make me? honASSt?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

RP112579 said:

"Screw the covers! Unless it's from these bands, then awesome!" Some serious talking from both sides of your mouth here :lol:
    Well I mean it is the home shows, right? Why not honor hometown  legends who have passed away?

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Chloe/Crown would be huge....hope they get it night 2
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    RP112579 said:

Well I mean it is the home shows, right? Why not honor hometown  legends who have passed away?
    You literally said that they should play their own songs and go see zac brown band if you want to see a cover band. Can't have it both ways.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    RP112579 said:

he's pointing out how obviously flawed and hypcritical your argument is. 

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Chloe/Crown would be huge....hope they get it night 2
    I can't imagine they wouldn't, but who knows. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    If Wrigley has a set list anywhere close to this...then bring on the fucking covers!!!!  I can’t fucking wait!  Let’s go!  Best live band around. Nothing like live PJ!

oh and pleeeeeease play “were gonna be friends” in Chicago!  One of my favorite songs ever