Options

Airbnb just cancelled. Any ideas?

Yo peeps.  My airbnb host just emailed and cancelled my reservation for Chicago Aug 18-21.  Curious if anyone is hanging onto a decently priced hotel room or knows of any availability anywhere that isn't outrageous.  Really put me in a bind on such late notice.  

Appreciate it.  
"So much it dont show"

Comments

• Options
    You know for the Fenway shows in 2016 the same thing happened. I had to scramble and find a hotel room further away. It was more expensive. 
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,771
    Might be a little train ride but downtown in the Loop area you can probably find a hotel within walking distance of the L (Red line takes you straight to Wrigley, Uber would be ~$25). Start your search there, maybe even Hotwire has a few deals. The key to hotels for a Wrigley show is being close to the Red line (at least to get there, coming back with the crowd is not as much fun right after a show/game).
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,757
    Annoying it happened to me too. 3 times already just for my trip to Boston with my family this year. Airbnb does nothing that I can tell to protect the visitor. I have another one booked further out and it is a first timer I am renting from. I emailed them a week ago to confirm we were still on since I have been cancelled so many times already and still have yet to hear back. Good luck on your search OP. 
  • Options
    release00release00 Posts: 342
    Thanks for the moral support. This is the first time it’s ever happened to me. 

Good luck PJNB. Three times is rough
    "So much it dont show"
  • Options
    Dug1200Dug1200 Chicago Posts: 188
    Try Groupon 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited August 2018
    Don't they get penalized for cancelling or anything??? There should be a fee paid by the renter when they cancel to dissuade this kind of thing more.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    PJ_Soul said:
    Don't they get penalized for cancelling or anything??? There should be a fee paid by the renter when they cancel to dissuade this kind of thing more.
    yeah, that's horseshit. especially if they cancel so they can re-list closer to show date at a higher price.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190

that's bullshit. only drawback to using AirBnB is you are at the mercy of the "host".

Can't believe they would cancel with such short notice. I feel for you.

Good luck.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    That's the problem with new services such as Uber, Lyft & AirBNB....the provider has many more advantages over the customer.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    yeah, that's horseshit. especially if they cancel so they can re-list closer to show date at a higher price.
    I can not even review with a bad review. Just a generic message comes up on their review that said they cancelled my reservation. The first guy that cancelled on me did so saying my party was too large for the space. We have 6 people coming. 3 of them 3 and under in age. We were up front with all of this. It was a 3 bedroom space and around 1400 sq ft. A good size place. After he cancelled he had the place back up with a 100$ jump in price. I complained and got a 20$ credit on my next stay lol. 
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    PJNB said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I can not even review with a bad review. Just a generic message comes up on their review that said they cancelled my reservation. The first guy that cancelled on me did so saying my party was too large for the space. We have 6 people coming. 3 of them 3 and under in age. We were up front with all of this. It was a 3 bedroom space and around 1400 sq ft. A good size place. After he cancelled he had the place back up with a 100$ jump in price. I complained and got a 20$ credit on my next stay lol. 
    you should stop by there and piss in his mailbox. what a fucker

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Some serious loop horse GIF
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I had an airbnb do this to me right before the Wrigley show in 2013. I was pissed but ended up finding something even better. Anyway, try looking at Homeaway.com. Looks like there are still lots of properties available for next weekend, albeit probably farther away from the venue. Good luck! 
  • Options
    AirBnB blows for several reasons.
    In markets with very low rental availability for residents, it's a disaster. My city recently placed more restrictive laws and taxes upon airbnb renters, and the day they came into effect craigslist was flooded by long term rentals when there would normally be nothing but shit or short terms (just a blip unfortunately, not a permanent solution, but it definitely told a story). Airbnb is nice for tourists (unless the host cancels on them without penalty just to raise the price! I I can't believe that's even legal!), but it hurts locals in tight housing markets, and I would think that having homes available for people is more important than a tourist saving $300 on hotels.
    I will never go with airbnb for these reasons. I'll spend the extra money on the hotel.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    PJ_Soul said:0
    In markets with very low rental availability for residents, it's a disaster. My city recently placed more restrictive laws and taxes upon airbnb renters, and the day they came into effect craigslist was flooded by long term rentals when there would normally be nothing but shit or short terms (just a blip unfortunately, not a permanent solution, but it definitely told a story). Airbnb is nice for tourists (unless the host cancels on them without penalty just to raise the price! I I can't believe that's even legal!), but it hurts locals in tight housing markets, and I would think that having homes available for people is more important than a tourist saving $300 on hotels.
    I will never go with airbnb for these reasons. I'll spend the extra money on the hotel.
    I have seen too many stories just on here about cancellations.  No thank you. 

+1
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Thanks for the good vibes. 

I was just able to get a $250 credit toward my next Airbnb stay. I told them thanks but this has definitely left a sour taste and don’t know if I will use it again. 
    "So much it dont show"
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    deadendp said:
    PJ_Soul said:0
    I have seen too many stories just on here about cancellations.  No thank you. 

+1
    Possible side effect of the housing market crash? People/investors buying up homes for nothing in the wake of it all and holding onto them indefinitely?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,374
    That's why I stick with hotel and book ahead....Air bnb owners can do whatever they want. Hotel prices now for Chicago are much higher than a month ago. 
  • Options
    Same thing happened to me in Seattle.  Cancelled Sunday night for staying on Wednesday.  Ending up finding a sketchy motel 3 miles away for more than the Airbnb was going to cost.  Bummer -- but Wednesday night was still amazing!
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    Nightmare

I've had nothing but good experiences with Airbnb's but I know at anytime a cancellation can happen. I generally try and stay in places that have a long history and good reviews.  Sometimes, things happen.  You just have to deal with it. Yes, it sucks. You are at the mercy of someone who can flake out last minute.

I'm knocking on wood big time here because I have two separate ones lined up for Boston and hope everything goes smoothly.  

Good luck to you!
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,767
    I guess it's the small town me speaking here, but what's wrong with the "old school" way of using a site like Priceline/Orbitz/Expedia? Looked this morning and there were a ton of rooms in town. One at The Drake was as low as $130.00.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    Airbnb's are generally much more clean and cheaper.  But there's certainly risk on either side.  
  • Options
    rlaidepeasrlaidepeas St. Louis, MO Posts: 305
    Stay at the Wrigley Hostel.  It's like staying in a college dorm but it's literally walking distance to Wrigley.  We stayed there in 2016 for both shows and had such a blast that we're doing it again this time.  You can't beat the location and avoiding the crowds after the show. 
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I stayed in my last hostel in 1995, lol. I got what we all called the "hostel plague" when I was there, which is when I learned that terrible contagious illnesses that spread like wildfire are super common in hostels because of the close and shared quarters, washrooms, and kitchens. I appreciate the service they provide to people still - super cheap lodging for those who can't afford better. But the hostel plague definitely lead to me abandoning the idea; me, my partner, and several other people actually ended up going to the ER at one point or another. I think some people don't quite realize just how disgusting some of the personal habits of the some of the other lodgers in hostels are, and when you're sharing living spaces, that actually matters.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    this is a really risky move but certain apps like Booking and some other apps like Hotel Tonight or something like that generally drop the price on rooms for same day bookings through their app. Just something to think about.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    For fucksakes. My 4th Airbnb just cancelled on me. Nothing even close to Boston now for a decent price to room 3 adults and 3 kids. What a fucked up system this is. 
  • Options
    Wow man. That sucks. 

I would call and speak to someone. They might be able to work some magic. Who knows??

Sorry to hear
    "So much it dont show"
  • Options
    madhat181madhat181 Posts: 367
    I use hotwire and priceline. With them you dont know the name of hotel but you get the star rating and the neighborhood you will be in
  • Options
    madhat181 said:
    I use hotwire and priceline. With them you dont know the name of hotel but you get the star rating and the neighborhood you will be in
    I do as well but need a large place with the whole family coming down. I would sleep on the floor if I had to but 3 kids and my mother in law and wife coming it needs to be comfortable for them. If you can do a suit or double room option I am all ears! 
  • Options
    madhat181madhat181 Posts: 367
    PJNB said:
    madhat181 said:
    I do as well but need a large place with the whole family coming down. I would sleep on the floor if I had to but 3 kids and my mother in law and wife coming it needs to be comfortable for them. If you can do a suit or double room option I am all ears! 
    Check VRBO and HomeAway for larger places. You might need to be a little further out from the city. And there is aways Booking.com they have some home rentals there as well.