The Ocean. Fishing & Whaling. Sustainable? Illegal? Over fished?

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Plastic Straws Aren’t the Problem

Skipping straws may be hip. But there are much better ways to fight pollution.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-06-07/plastic-straws-aren-t-the-problem
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Plastic straws are not the problem ... people are...
    Let's start small and use plastic straws as an example.
    If you wanna ban all plastic that's fine with me.  A nice cold Coca Cola on a hot summer day always taste better in a glass bottle.
    And no need for a straw. 

I had to go down to Sacramento for a doctor appt. and it was HOT down there so I grabbed soda along the way.  My bamboo straw made drinking and driving much easier!   *hic*
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    If you wanna ban all plastic that's fine with me.  A nice cold Coca Cola on a hot summer day always taste better in a glass bottle.
    And no need for a straw. 

I had to go down to Sacramento for a doctor appt. and it was HOT down there so I grabbed soda along the way.  My bamboo straw made drinking and driving much easier!   *hic*
    I will have to check amazon for bamboo straws...Brian you influencing me in a positive way.  See you are helping change occur. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    brianlux said:
    And no need for a straw. 

I will have to check amazon for bamboo straws...Brian you influencing me in a positive way.  See you are helping change occur. 
    They do sell Stainless steel ones now too.  Also aluminum.

https://www.racked.com/2018/7/10/17549634/metal-straws-reusable-straws
    Also congrats to Starbucks but 2020 is still a ways away.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/627220348/starbucks-goodbye-plastic-straws
    brianlux said:
    And no need for a straw. 

Cool, thank you. 

I think we all make a difference here because we care enough to discuss important matters.  It's what drew mw hear in the first place.

Oh, and this certain rock band that makes some pretty fines music!  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    And no need for a straw. 

Cool, thank you. 

I think we all make a difference here because we care enough to discuss important matters.  It's what drew mw hear in the first place.

They sure do make some damn music.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    And no need for a straw. 

Cool, thank you. 

I think you could even call some of it "whale music".*

* That's the best I could do to tie it into the thread, haha!

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    And no need for a straw. 

Cool, thank you. 

I think you could even call some of it "whale music".*

* That's the best I could do to tie it into the thread, haha!
    LOL
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Other than an incredibly long string of obscenities, there's not much I can say about this:

The killing of a blue whale reveals how disconnected we are from nature

They might as well have shot a giant panda. This week an Icelandic whaling company, Hvalur hf, caused uproar when it was revealed that it had killed a blue whale. Hvalur has killed hundreds of fin whales – mostly destined as meat for export to Japan. It resumed its hunt in June, after a three-year hiatus. But no blue whale – a highly endangered cetacean – has been deliberately killed for 40 years.

Iceland is trying to dodge this one saying the whale is a "hybrid" but my heroes at Sea Shepherd Conservation Society say otherwise (and they would know- it's what they do):

Anti-whaling group Sea Shepherd claimed Wednesday that Loftsson's company had killed and butchered a blue whale in Hvalfjordur, Iceland. Volunteers monitoring the whaling site photographed orange-clad crews examining the massive carcass.

Here's what these fuckers killed:

Have you ever researched living in northern climates...Many in the the far, like Alaska, Northern Canada live off the land...that probably includes Iceland.  What are they suppose to eat? 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Have you ever researched living in northern climates...Many in the the far, like Alaska, Northern Canada live off the land...that probably includes Iceland.  What are they suppose to eat? 
    Yes I have and no, I do not make allowances for that excuse.

We'll they don't have  option ofcheap food at big box store is. not option...the article stated most on the island support whaling??  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    There are plenty of fish and game they can eat off of. 

If you have a ship that big to capture a blue whale then you have the ability to have food shipped  to you so I'm not buying that their region allows them to need to hunt a blue whale...

Inuits are the only people I know that still hunt whales and they mostly get pilot whales that aren't endangered.
    We'll they don't have  option ofcheap food at big box store is. not option...the article stated most on the island support whaling??  
    I am a long-time supporter of Native American/ Inuit/ First Nation rights but the argument about traditional hunting, especially when it comes to endangered species is utter bullshit.  I don't cut those people any slack on that one.  Whales are not their main diet anymore and besides, what point is there in hunting out the last of a species?  That is totally illogical.  No, sorry, I personally am dead set against this argument.

And I'm sorry for coming across so angry on this issue but the fact is, I am angry.  I'm mad as hell.  Humans are depleting ocean life at an alarming rate and polluting the oceans in bag ways.  If the oceans go, we go.  It's that simple.   As long as humans continue on this reckless, selfish, greedy, foolish and utterly stupid path, I will continue to feel angry about what is happening.  I do what I can to support Sea Shepherd Conservation society and I absolutely boycott all sea food other than sea vegetable (i.e. seaweed).  I wish there were more I could do. 

brianlux said:
    And I'm sorry for coming across so angry on this issue but the fact is, I am angry.  I'm mad as hell.  Humans are depleting ocean life at an alarming rate and polluting the oceans in bag ways.  If the oceans go, we go.  It's that simple.   As long as humans continue on this reckless, selfish, greedy, foolish and utterly stupid path, I will continue to feel angry about what is happening.  I do what I can to support Sea Shepherd Conservation society and I absolutely boycott all sea food other than sea vegetable (i.e. seaweed).  I wish there were more I could do. 
    Any time a blue whale is lost is a time to be mad Brian.

This is utter bullshit.
    brianlux said:
    Any time a blue whale is lost is a time to be mad Brian.

This is utter bullshit.
    Well said, t'ng

So was it a blue whale? or a hybrid as the whaler claims?  Doubt we'll ever know.  Apparently some of the meat was sent off for DNA testing, but that whale meat was mixed with some fin whale...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    So was it a blue whale? or a hybrid as the whaler claims?  Doubt we'll ever know.  Apparently some of the meat was sent off for DNA testing, but that whale meat was mixed with some fin whale...
    The things is that this particular whale looked like a blue whale and because of that should never have been killed in the first place (my own opinion is that NO whale should ever be killed).  Here's on of several articles that illustrate that point:

Having seen many blue whales at close quarters, I can attest to this identification. As Peter Wilson, a whale expert and tour guide to Iceland, notes in his blog: “Whether they thought it was a blue or had someone out there who doesn’t know the difference, it shows complete disregard for any idea of expertise and a scientifically supported sense of sustainability”.

The claims the Iceland whaling fleet make about it being a "hybrid" are just excuses. A number of whale experts have pointed out that it is likely this is a blue whale and even if it does turn out to be a hybrid, the idea of "Let's kill it first and then do some DNA test to find out if we've fucked up" is inexcusable and wrong.

Wouldn't mind seeing this in 2018:

One half of the Icelandic Whaling Fleet, 1984

brianlux said:
    The things is that this particular whale looked like a blue whale and because of that should never have been killed in the first place (my own opinion is that NO whale should ever be killed).  Here's on of several articles that illustrate that point:

Having seen many blue whales at close quarters, I can attest to this identification. As Peter Wilson, a whale expert and tour guide to Iceland, notes in his blog: “Whether they thought it was a blue or had someone out there who doesn’t know the difference, it shows complete disregard for any idea of expertise and a scientifically supported sense of sustainability”.

The claims the Iceland whaling fleet make about it being a "hybrid" are just excuses. A number of whale experts have pointed out that it is likely this is a blue whale and even if it does turn out to be a hybrid, the idea of "Let's kill it first and then do some DNA test to find out if we've fucked up" is inexcusable and wrong.

I agree with all of this Brian.

TY
    brianlux said:

Fair enough.  I did a little research on the whaling industry.  I read that Norway and Japan continue to whale hunt for no other reason that they do to like be told not to.  If that is true, that seem ridiculous.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

Fair enough.  I did a little research on the whaling industry.  I read that Norway and Japan continue to whale hunt for no other reason that they do to like be told not to.  If that is true, that seem ridiculous.
    That may well be part of it but my understanding is that an even bigger part of it is money.  There are a lot of people in places like Japan that pay big bucks for the "culinary experience" of eating whale meat.  

And God knows what else.  For example, there is a long history of Norway and Russia using whale meat to feed minks raised for their fur. 

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

That may well be part of it but my understanding is that an even bigger part of it is money.  There are a lot of people in places like Japan that pay big bucks for the "culinary experience" of eating whale meat.  

And God knows what else.  For example, there is a long history of Norway and Russia using whale meat to feed minks raised for their fur. 

Humans are a disgusting species....
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    GO GREEN
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    GO GREEN
    :plus_one:

Give Peas A Chance…
    Terrible!  And then add to that all the little micro-plastics submerged just below the surface that small sea life feed on and disrupt the food chain. 

This is a good reminder to limit plastic use as much as possible and especially single-use plastics.  I attended a big double-birthday party the other day that had 75 guests with lots of catered food and ALL of the plates, cups and utensils were plastic.  That was disgusting enough but then on top of it,  people were dumping them in the trash.  We took several of the plastic items home to reuse.  Single use plastic is obscene.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:
    Terrible!  And then add to that all the little micro-plastics submerged just below the surface that small sea life feed on and disrupt the food chain. 

This is a good reminder to limit plastic use as much as possible and especially single-use plastics.  I attended a big double-birthday party the other day that had 75 guests with lots of catered food and ALL of the plates, cups and utensils were plastic.  That was disgusting enough but then on top of it,  people were dumping them in the trash.  We took several of the plastic items home to reuse.  Single use plastic is obscene.
    I also feel disgusted when I see the massive waste of single use plastics, especially from food service. 

Recognizing that I'm only a tiny cog in the wheel, and that there's only so much I can do, I am trying to make one change at a time and stick with it long enough to make it a habit, and then add another change. The current change is that I'm taking a reusable travel mug with me any time that I think I might pick up a tea to go, so I can avoid a disposable cup with its inevitable plastic lid. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    By the looks of that video we to ban more than straws...

Give Peas A Chance…