Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Mass shooting on the Danforth in Toronto. Doesn’t sound good, a guy dressed in black shooting people randomly, apparently multiple fatalities, but information’s sketchy as it seems to have happened within the hour or so.

This on the weekend police were increasing patrols to deal with the gang violence.

Edit:  As the news was signing off, it’s being reported 9 victims (including a child), plus the dead gunman.

Damn and crap.

Shooter is dead; I can't tell from reports if anyone else is dead, though certainly many wounded. Online news now says 10 total, though it's not clear to me if the gunman is included in the total. 
    My bad, I really should’ve been more specific that 9 victims were hit and 6 were apparently taken to hospitals.  I made it sound like it could be 9 dead, which it doesn’t seem to be the case.

Hopefully the shooter left enough behind for a clear motive to be determined.

I was trying to find more information online. I read one brief article that gave a bare-bones description. There were two comments below - the first said something to the effect that "Toronto isn't safe anymore", and the second said "Muslim terrorist?". 

I hate that that's the default. That was the default with the van attack a few months ago, and despite that not being accurate, here we go again. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Mass shooting on the Danforth in Toronto. Doesn’t sound good, a guy dressed in black shooting people randomly, apparently multiple fatalities, but information’s sketchy as it seems to have happened within the hour or so.

This on the weekend police were increasing patrols to deal with the gang violence.

Edit:  As the news was signing off, it’s being reported 9 victims (including a child), plus the dead gunman.

Damn and crap.

Shooter is dead; I can't tell from reports if anyone else is dead, though certainly many wounded. Online news now says 10 total, though it's not clear to me if the gunman is included in the total. 
    My bad, I really should’ve been more specific that 9 victims were hit and 6 were apparently taken to hospitals.  I made it sound like it could be 9 dead, which it doesn’t seem to be the case.

I was trying to find more information online. I read one brief article that gave a bare-bones description. There were two comments below - the first said something to the effect that "Toronto isn't safe anymore", and the second said "Muslim terrorist?". 

I hate that that's the default. That was the default with the van attack a few months ago, and despite that not being accurate, here we go again. 
    It's definitely terrorism, could be home grown.  Toronto appears to be getting less safe.
    Give Peas A Chance…

Damn and crap.

It's definitely terrorism, could be home grown.  Toronto appears to be getting less safe.

What do you mean by "definitely terrorism"?

Damn and crap.

I do not define terrorism based on a persons religion.  To me terrorism is any attempt at causing mass casualties and death, and emotional trauma to people in the area of the attack.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I got a sister that lives in Toronto.  Be safe people in Toronto.
    Give Peas A Chance…

Damn and crap.

I do not define terrorism based on a persons religion.  To me terrorism is any attempt at causing mass casualties and death, and emotional trauma to people in the area of the attack.

I certainly hope your sister is safe.

If you define terrorism as any attempt to cause mass casualties, then the term is meaningless, since it doesn't distinguish from any human-generated event causing mass casualties. I am not defining it by religion at all, either, but I think we need to put some closer parameters on the definition of "terrorism".
      The shooting in Toronto was an act of terror.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Woman dead, 13 injured after shooting on Toronto’s Danforth; shooter also dead

https://globalnews.ca/news/4346484/toronto-greektown-danforth-logan-shooting/?utm_source=GlobalToronto&utm_medium=Facebook
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • I'll wait for the official details before commenting on a potential 'terrorism' component to this event.

The other narrative might be the lonely loser male that women don't like because he's so damn weird. This one plays out quite often: the creepy male loser that finally has enough of getting turned down by women guns down normal people for their normalcy in frustration.

I'm glad he's dead. I don't think I could stomach a lengthy trial and the associated appeals- all funded by the public- before the whopping 5 year sentence.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Any mass incident with intent to spread fear is a terror event ...  I think firing into a crowd of people qualifies.  Just because PM Fluff is afraid to use the word terrorism ... I am not.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2018
    I don't let random people define terrorism any way they see fit. Terrorism means something and armchair warriors sure as shit aren't the ones defining it.

Some witnesses said that it was a white guy btw. I hope they're right. In all events like this in Canada or the US, one of my first thoughts (after sorrow for victims) is always, "I hope it was at least a white person." Because then all the xenophobes and racists have nowhere to go with it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    I don't let random people define terrorism any way they see fit. Terrorism means something and armchair warriors sure as shit aren't the ones defining it.

Some witnesses said that it was a white guy btw. I hope they're right. In all events like this in Canada or the US, one of my first thoughts (after sorrow for victims) is always, "I hope it was at least a white person." Because then all the xenophobes and racists have nowhere to go with it.

Kind of a weird statement.
    PJ_Soul said:

What's weird about it? You know what kind of xenophobic shit show would follow a terrorist attack by a non-white person in North America. I never like to see that happen - it's terrible for everyone. That kind of shit show doesn't happen when a white person is responsible.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

What's weird about it? You know what kind of xenophobic shit show would follow a terrorist attack by a non-white person in North America. I never like to see that happen - it's terrible for everyone. That kind of shit show doesn't happen when a white person is responsible.

I disagree.

Right now... white people are the villains in the US. The Nazis are taking a beating in the public forum and deservedly so. To a lesser degree, the simple yokel (who doesn't actually commit acts of violence, but supports the evil regime with their stupidity) is villain number two.

If this was a case of Islamic extremists (which is who I think you were breathing a sigh of relief it wasn't)... then the Islamic extremists could take their fair share of criticism and judgement.
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I disagree.

Right now... white people are the villains in the US. The Nazis are taking a beating in the public forum and deservedly so. To a lesser degree, the simple yokel (who doesn't actually commit acts of violence, but supports the evil regime with their stupidity) is villain number two.

If this was a case of Islamic extremists (which is who I think you were breathing a sigh of relief it wasn't)... then the Islamic extremists could take their fair share of criticism and judgement.
    But when was the last time you heard about a big upsurge in racist attacks on white people due to a terrorist incident??
    And "white people" are not the villains in the US. White nationalists are, justifiably and correctly. I don't agree with your comparisons at all. They come off as false equivalencies to me.
    And FTR, I am breathing a sigh of relief that it wasn't a non-white immigrant generally. I wasn't thinking about Islamic extremists specifically at all. It would have been just as bad if it had been, say, a Haitian refugee or something. And you know as well as anyone that it isn't Islamic extremists who suffer most of the consequences of Islamic terror in North America. It's the peaceful majority.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I disagree.

But when was the last time you heard about a big upsurge in racist attacks on white people due to a terrorist incident??
    And "white people" are not the villains in the US. White nationalists are, justifiably and correctly. I don't agree with your comparisons at all. They come off as false equivalencies to me.
    And FTR, I am breathing a sigh of relief that it wasn't a non-white immigrant generally. I wasn't thinking about Islamic extremists specifically at all. It would have been just as bad if it had been, say, a Haitian refugee or something. And you know as well as anyone that it isn't Islamic extremists who suffer most of the consequences of Islamic terror in North America. It's the peaceful majority.

This is fair. I wouldn't argue against this.
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Suspect just named:  Faisal Hussain.  Guess the angry white guy theory goes out the window and we're back to talking terrorism, sadly.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    Suspect just named:  Faisal Hussain.  Guess the angry white guy theory goes out the window and we're back to talking terrorism, sadly.
    Haven't you heard, we can not call it terrorism.  PM Fluff will be offended.  After-all he is very delicate.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    That's a real shame (I mean above and beyond the obvious of course). :frowning: Expect the anti-immigrant/islamophobia machine of the Conservatives to crank it up a notched.
    Haven't you heard, we can not call it terrorism.  PM Fluff will be offended.  After-all he is very delicate.
    The Canadian government has absolutely no problem calling terrorism terrorism, of course.
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    For me, as was said above, terrorism is based on motive not method. It may come down to angry Middle-Eastern (?) guy instead of angry white guy. Need to wait and let the police do their job instead of making assumptions.

Doug Ford’s on CP24 right now suggesting mental health issues, apparently confirmed by the family. As I typed, it was mentioned in a statement from the shooter’s family. Which leads us to how he got the gun.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    It's still terror in my opinion.  Any event that causes the masses to be unsettled is terror...Doug Ford is just towing the PC bullshit line ... I just going to assume if you open fire on innocent people you are a terrorist and suffer mental illness.

I am getting tired of the mental illness excuse.  If life so pisses you off, take yourself out...don't kill, injure and terrorize innocent people.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Suspect just named:  Faisal Hussain.  Guess the angry white guy theory goes out the window and we're back to talking terrorism, sadly.
    "Excuse me. Excuse me. The proper term is 'peoplekind'. Nnnnnkay? Now excuse me as I pull up my purple socks and smile for the cameras."
    edited July 2018
    It's still terror in my opinion.  Any event that causes the masses to be unsettled is terror...Doug Ford is just towing the PC bullshit line ... I just going to assume if you open fire on innocent people you are a terrorist and suffer mental illness.

I am getting tired of the mental illness excuse.  If life so pisses you off, take yourself out...don't kill, injure and terrorize innocent people.
    When it comes to the definition of terrorism, your opinion is irrelevant. That isn't a matter of opinion. It's a specific crime with a specific definition under the law. Even Doug Ford appears to understand that at least to some extent, which is shocking but good to hear.

And obviously you have no real understanding of mental illness.
    Most people who suffer from mental illness are NOT violent people ... this was an act of terror ... deal with it.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited July 2018
    Most people who suffer from mental illness are NOT violent people ... this was an act of terror ... deal with it.
    Of course most people who suffer from mental illness are not violent people, but that doesn't mean mental illness is never the cause of violent acts. I'm sure you know that?

Terrorism is a defined crime in the criminal code. Deal with it.
    FTR, I and you have no clue if it was terrorism or not yet.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    Of course most people who suffer from mental illness are not violent people, but that doesn't mean mental illness is never the cause of violent acts. I'm sure you know that?

Its was act of terror  incident ... if you and fluff won't call it a terror incident, then I will.  Of course Fluff is off on personal day.  That what happens when you elect a spoiled trust fund baby elitists...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:

Its was act of terror  incident ... if you and fluff won't call it a terror incident, then I will.  Of course Fluff is off on personal day.  That what happens when you elect a spoiled trust fund baby elitists...
    PM Trudeau will call it a terrorist incident if it is one under the law. That is the only responsible option.
    This new "fluff" thing is really stupid and lame.
    "Excuse me. Excuse me. The proper term is 'peoplekind'. Nnnnnkay? Now excuse me as I pull up my purple socks and smile for the cameras."
    LOL...Federal politics in Canada is getting laughable.  The 3 party leaders are kinda of pathetic.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    If online voting was an option ... I wouldn't waste my time on fluff and the others 2 donkeys.
    Give Peas A Chance…