***Official U2 Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    TFlyer said:
    been in the fan club for over 17 years and i can only say good things about it and the experience.
    this tour was amazing. so was their new cd. best cd in a long time
    hoping for a fall leg of the tour....
    That's good, someone has to have a positive experience to keep the cash flowing...I can't honestly recommend something to someone however where the rules are so ridiculous that I was restricted from posting simply because I voiced my concern over a membership item which I paid for that had not been shipped going on a full years time. And in a thread specifically made for the topic of discussing the membership item no less. 

Honestly what good is it for me to have paid for something that I can't use (but I have paid for through 2019) and people have the right to restrict me from posting on with no warning simply for voicing my concerns in a polite manner? 
    What membership item didn’t you get?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • TFlyerTFlyer DMV (dc,md,va) Posts: 881
    edited July 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    TFlyer said:
    been in the fan club for over 17 years and i can only say good things about it and the experience.
    That's good, someone has to have a positive experience to keep the cash flowing...I can't honestly recommend something to someone however where the rules are so ridiculous that I was restricted from posting simply because I voiced my concern over a membership item which I paid for that had not been shipped going on a full years time. And in a thread specifically made for the topic of discussing the membership item no less. 

Honestly what good is it for me to have paid for something that I can't use (but I have paid for through 2019) and people have the right to restrict me from posting on with no warning simply for voicing my concerns in a polite manner? 
    I was having issues with the Joshua Tree singles (like everyone else) and kept getting conflicting messages about when they were shipping out and if they actually were in stock. I subscribed very early on in the process and at first I was told by one person they were shipping out based on when you subscribed, later I was told that wasn't the case. They even kept saying they didn't have the item in stock, which honestly baffles me, how can a band on a scale such as U2 not successfully prepare enough stock for their PAID fanclub?

Eventually I was told the items were "allocated with ship date TBD" and they were sent a few weeks after. I have them now but I am in no way happy with the condition of what I recieved. One of the vinyls is warped (apparently this is an issue a lot of people had) and the spines on the sleeves are messed up (which again is another issue most people had due to the poor packaging). 

But I'm not going to try and deal with the nonsense of attempting to talk to anyone about it at this point because as I said I was restricted from posting in the forums for voicing my concerns about what was going on and when you try and contact their "support" all you get is automatically generated response emails. The whole situation of how they handled this just blows my mind. 
    Post edited by TFlyer on
    TFlyer said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    TFlyer said:

I was having issues with the Joshua Tree singles (like everyone else) and kept getting conflicting messages about when they were shipping out and if they actually were in stock. I subscribed very early on in the process and at first I was told by one person they were shipping out based on when you subscribed, later I was told that wasn't the case. They even kept saying they didn't have the item in stock, which honestly baffles me, how can a band on a scale such as U2 not successfully prepare enough stock for their PAID fanclub?

Eventually I was told the items were "allocated with ship date TBD" and they were sent a few weeks after. I have them now but I am in no way happy with the condition of what I recieved. One of the vinyls is warped (apparently this is an issue a lot of people had) and the spines on the sleeves are messed up (which again is another issue most people had due to the poor packaging). 

But I'm not going to try and deal with the nonsense of attempting to talk to anyone about it at this point because as I said I was restricted from posting in the forums for voicing my concerns about what was going on and when you try and contact their "support" all you get is automatically generated response emails. The whole situation of how they handled this just blows my mind. 
    I was sent two sets of joshua tree singles.  Go figure.  
    I'm sure there are people who have had positive experiences with the U2 fan club but mine has been anything other than that and I couldn't ever honestly suggest something to someone where I genuinely felt like I was shafted out of my money. And I know I'm not the only one because there's large threads on their forums expressing related stress. 

Answer me this...if you were in my position, where you were restricted from posting in the forums (that is supposidly part of what you paid for) and your membership item came a year late and damaged would you feel happy with what you paid for? 

I still enjoy the music that the band makes but I think that their fan club is an absolute load of nonsense, especially after being part of the 10club and seeing how well things are handled here.
  • PopmartijnPopmartijn Posts: 382
    TFlyer said:
    I still enjoy the music that the band makes but I think that their fan club is an absolute load of nonsense, especially after being part of the 10club and seeing how well things are handled here.
    You mean the Ten Club where fan club items also come more than a year late? And where some then also have issues receiving that item undamaged, or at all? It's not just the U2 fan club that has these kind of issues. Though I do think that they should reinstate your posting privileges on their forums (if you indeed were only politely asking about the items).
    TFlyer said:
    You mean the Ten Club where fan club items also come more than a year late? And where some then also have issues receiving that item undamaged, or at all? It's not just the U2 fan club that has these kind of issues. Though I do think that they should reinstate your posting privileges on their forums (if you indeed were only politely asking about the items).
    I have never had an issue recieving my 10club items though (they also usually arrive around the same time each year) and if I have a question I can get it answered in a timely manner. I don't have to worry about just getting some copy pasted response that makes zero sense. 

I was posting in a thread specifically about the membership item where everyone was voicing their concerns. I got no warning and now if I even attempt to post it has to first be approved by a mod and more often than not those posts aren't approved regardless of what they say.

I have paid to be part of their fan club and had nothing but issues with it. I honestly feel like I have a right to be put off by it, and have a sour taste in my mouth. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    TFlyer said:
    I'm sure there are people who have had positive experiences with the U2 fan club but mine has been anything other than that and I couldn't ever honestly suggest something to someone where I genuinely felt like I was shafted out of my money. And I know I'm not the only one because there's large threads on their forums expressing related stress. 

Answer me this...if you were in my position, where you were restricted from posting in the forums (that is supposidly part of what you paid for) and your membership item came a year late and damaged would you feel happy with what you paid for? 

Sorry to hear about your issues.
    I will say this though, posting on the forum wouldn't be the option to get your issue with the records resolved.

If you call the customer support line at 855-867-5297, that's the way to get that resolved. if you explain about the damage they will replace the item.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    edited July 2018
    There is a fall leg.
    They tour Europe from Aug 31 through Nov 10.
    Poncier said:
    Sorry to hear about your issues.
    I will say this though, posting on the forum wouldn't be the option to get your issue with the records resolved.

If you call the customer support line at 855-867-5297, that's the way to get that resolved. if you explain about the damage they will replace the item.
    I understand what you are trying to say but the thread I was posting in was people posting information updates which they received from customer support etc (in attempts to help each other figure out what was going on). I was posting in a thread that was a specific discussion about what was going on with the status of the membership item. 

In regards to contacting customer support as I have stated before I had attempted to do that numerous times (via the number and email) and I have never had any success in doing so, and at this point I honestly don't want to put myself through more of that grief. I have phoned and sent emails and I would get conflicting answers in the same week from both sources! 
    Gotcha.
    I had an issue once, used the phone number and got it straightened out with very little hassle. Email with those things is usually a waste of time unfortunately.
    It will only last for a couple of days more (until July 31st I believe) but I have been enjoying The U2 Experience channel (#30) on Sirius XM a lot. Plenty of rarities, live tracks and deep album cuts. And yes, some hits too.
    (Currently playing, a live version of In God's Country from 1987)
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    New U Talkin' U2 to Me podcast Where Adam and Adam interview Bonobos and Thedge
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    It will only last for a couple of days more (until July 31st I believe) but I have been enjoying The U2 Experience channel (#30) on Sirius XM a lot. Plenty of rarities, live tracks and deep album cuts. And yes, some hits too.

Same here! Although I feel like there could be more variety believe it or not.  I hear the the same songs a lot and in the same sequence often.  That being said I really hope they can get a channel put togetherl long term.
    mr bungle said:

Same here! Although I feel like there could be more variety believe it or not.  I hear the the same songs a lot and in the same sequence often.  That being said I really hope they can get a channel put togetherl long term.
    They don't have as much official live material as Pearl Jam has. And for this limited time (or even at all) they likely didn't want to use any actual bootleg recordings. I have nearly all of U2's officially released material. All together that's about 2 1/2 days. This includes live tracks and remixes (and some duplicates). So if you have 30-31 days to fill that means the official output can fill that about 12 times. So variety can be a bit limited. :)
    achtung baby will be arriving tomorrow.  Oh baby!!! can't wait to spin this one!!
  • mcgruff10 said:
    achtung baby will be arriving tomorrow.  Oh baby!!! can't wait to spin this one!!

I got email notification for arrival of Achtung Baby and Zooropa. But I don't get them until August 8.

Can't wait. Achtung Baby is unreal. And Zooropa has significant personal value for me.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2018
    TFlyer said:

This is literally the first time I have ever read a scathing review of their fan club. I'm thinking you just got unlucky with it, which sucks. Most members sing its praises for a reason.
    So what exactly did you do to get kicked off a forum while talking about a membership item issue in a thread about a membership item issue? You must have really been raging or something for that to happen....
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    mcgruff10 said:
    TFlyer said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    TFlyer said:

I was sent two sets of joshua tree singles.  Go figure.  
    :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    TFlyer said:

This is literally the first time I have ever read a scathing review of their fan club. I'm thinking you just got unlucky with it, which sucks. Most members sing its praises for a reason.
    So what exactly did you do to get kicked off a forum while talking about a membership item issue in a thread about a membership item issue? You must have really been raging or something for that to happen....
    Not at all, I literally was just saying that I still hadn't received my JT membership vinyls and that I kept getting conflicting answers from people depending upon if I called or emailed and I was asking if anyone could help me. I had sent in numerous email at that point which I actually had gotten no response to and when I called the "help number" nobody knew what was going on and they kept telling me different things.

As I said earlier I was posting in a thread specifically made to talk about the membership items. I was restricted from posting for "abusive behavior" for trying to figure out what was going on when I hadn't gotten any information for something I paid for a year ago. I basically wasted money on this "fan club" because when I did end up getting the records one is warped and the spines are messed up. 

TFlyer said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    TFlyer said:

Not at all, I literally was just saying that I still hadn't received my JT membership vinyls and that I kept getting conflicting answers from people depending upon if I called or emailed and I was asking if anyone could help me. I had sent in numerous email at that point which I actually had gotten no response to and when I called the "help number" nobody knew what was going on and they kept telling me different things.

As I said earlier I was posting in a thread specifically made to talk about the membership items. I was restricted from posting for "abusive behavior" for trying to figure out what was going on when I hadn't gotten any information for something I paid for a year ago. I basically wasted money on this "fan club" because when I did end up getting the records one is warped and the spines are messed up. 

Well I dunno then - maybe they felt you were insulting the hosts of the board somehow while you were expressing your frustration. Too bad your experience wasn't better - most people seem to love it.
    PJ_Soul said:
    TFlyer said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    TFlyer said:

Well I dunno then - maybe they felt you were insulting the hosts of the board somehow while you were expressing your frustration. Too bad your experience wasn't better - most people seem to love it.
    All I know is I paid for a fan club and I cant even post in the public section of the forums  :o
    mcgruff10 said:

I got email notification for arrival of Achtung Baby and Zooropa. But I don't get them until August 8.

Can't wait. Achtung Baby is unreal. And Zooropa has significant personal value for me.
    Spinning it right now....sounds so damn good.  I'll get zooropa in the coming weeks.
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Spinning it right now....sounds so damn good.  I'll get zooropa in the coming weeks.

Beauty!
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Yeah, these represses are great and better than the original pressings. 
  • Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 889
    TFlyer said:

It's been a joke for me too, I have everything shipped to my work address, in December of last year they shipped the JT vinyl singles without my name on the shipping label, and no email notification they were shipped, so they were shipped back since my name wasn't in the shipping label, been waiting for the records ever since, and the 10inch set from the previous year, I keep getting the same answer that they are currently out of stock.
    mcgruff10 said:

You are a big zooropa fan?  
    On a side not, ordered pop on vinyl after I saw them this past tour and really really love it. 
  • CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    edited July 2018
    I need to get these albums.  I always thought Pop was a great album and played the shit out of it when it came out.  They were still willing to not be like old U2 and and I think they really pulled it off.  This week I pulled out my Pop CD and threw it in my 5 CD player in my barn where I do stuff that doesn't really need to be done or takes longer then necessary.  Check back with me in October - that CD will still be in rotation.

Post edited by CJ260717 on
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You are a big zooropa fan?  
    On a side not, ordered pop on vinyl after I saw them this past tour and really really love it. 

I am.

One day, when we are having beer and eating pizza that I order... I'll detail why Zooropa is huge for me!
    edited July 2018
    Sounds good to me bud!
    That intro to the album with the piano and static is amazing.  I wish they had a whole song like that.
    Did you see them live in the early 90's?
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Sounds good to me bud!
    That intro to the album with the piano and static is amazing.  I wish they had a whole song like that.
    Did you see them live in the early 90's?
    No.

Wished I did though.