RELEASE us at Rock Werchter, Belgium; 'The Story of a Friend'

Dear Pearl Jam,

This is a story that's been on my mind for quite a while now.
And I just felt like I had to share it with you, the band, as well as the other fans.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friendship is something elusive, but it’s often necessary to drag someone through a difficult time.
Friends are people who are there for you, whom you can count on and who give the love and attention that is needed.

Dan, from the UK, is one of my dearest friends. I have laughed and experienced a lot with him in the past, but we’ve also seen some serious and difficult times. We both shared a big love for red wine and we enjoyed it in large numbers. We also enjoyed life and tried to wake up every day with a smile on our faces.

But November, last year, something happened. Something of which no one could have ever thought of. Dan decided to end his 23-year-old life and stepped out of it. He left us without a letter or any goodbye. For both friends and family this was an unimaginable shock, which we can hardly deal with. Not a single day goes by that I do not think of him & I can’t look at the stars up in the sky without feeling his presence. I'm pretty sure that you, the Pearl Jam band members and a lot of fans, recognize this feeling. This thought makes me stronger and gives me the strength to continue. Together we’re stronger.

Pearl Jam has played an important role in my life and still fulfills that role every day. I also listened to a lot of Pearl Jam with Dan. 'Release' was one of our favorites and it gave us a sense of freedom & the feeling that we could be ourselves and that we should be proud of who we were.

Now, after his death, this song gives me even more feelings and brings a lot of emotions to the surface. Especially the part where Eddie Vedder sings 'Oh dear Dad .. Can you see this now?'. In my head this sounds like 'Oh dear Dan ..', which is difficult to hear, but also gives me more strength. I know that Dan is with us and looks down on us. Like many dear people that we have lost in recent times.

Because of this I hoped to hear 'Release' during one of the concerts that I would be attending during this tour. Unfortunately that did not happen, but the shows were nevertheless memorable. Eddie Vedder gave me a tambourine during the concert in the Ziggo Dome & gave me his drumstick during the concert at Pinkpop and handed me a full cup of his Barolo. This is and will always be a memory that stays in my heart forever. Simply Unforgettable.

The last concert I will be attending this tour will be in Belgium at Rock Werchter. I still have a small hope to hear the sensitive song 'Release' in remembrance of the people who have decided to step out of life. People we miss, but of which we know they are free now. They are 'Released'.

I've been thinking a lot about the idea of posting this here on the forum, but felt like I had to share this story, so that I wouldn’t regret that I didn’t do it. And even if they do not play the song, I know that sooner or later this message will come to the band & that Dan will stay alive because of the thoughts that he lives in & in the hearts where he’s kept safe.

Thank you in any case for everything you have meant for me in my life, Pearl Jam.
I do not know where I would be if I did not have your music as the backbone of my life.
Thank you for this.
-----
Release me.
-----
Thanks,
Jarmo.

In this photograph you can see me at Pinkpop, getting some Barolo from Eddie Vedder. 

This other photograph shows my beloved friend Dan. 

'I'll ride the wave, where it takes me..'

Comments

• yeehareyeehare Posts: 14
    Lovely words Jarmo. Sorry for your loss. Hope you get to hear Release and that it brings you some healing.
    London 11 August 2009, London 18 August 2009, Manchester 20 June 2012, EV London 1 August 2012, Chicago Wrigley 19 July 2013, Amsterdam 16 June 2014, Milton Keynes 11 July 2014, NYC 1 May 2016, EV London 6 June 2017, EV London 7 June 2017, Rio de Janeiro 21 March 2018, Amsterdam 12 June 2018, Amsterdam 13 June 2018, London 18 June 2018, Rome 26 June 2018, Berlin 5 July 2018, London 17 July 2018, London 8 July 2022, London 9 July 2022, Vienna 20 July 2022, Amsterdam 24 July 2022, Amsterdam 25 July 2022, Fort Worth 13 September 2023, Fort Worth 15 September 2023.
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Sorry for your loss. Well, I have nothing against hearing my favorite PJ song once more, so best of luck that you get it!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    A touching story that had me in tears. Very close to home with me . Love to you and dans loved ones.   We were but stones.your light made us stars
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Thanks a lot for the kind comments! Pearl Jam fans stay strong together! 
    We share the Love & Peace within our community. That's a beautiful thing about music.
    It brings people together.
  • cyrielbuyssecyrielbuysse Posts: 196
    2006 Arnhem - Antwerp - Paris 2007 Nijmegen - Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen - Arras - Werchter 2012 Amsterdam - Werchter - Arras - Berlin 2014 Amsterdam - Berlin - Werchter 2018 Pinkpop - London - Berlin - Werchter - London
    @BelgianPJfan
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Up
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Up! Today is the day!!!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
    2006 Arnhem - Antwerp - Paris 2007 Nijmegen - Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen - Arras - Werchter 2012 Amsterdam - Werchter - Arras - Berlin 2014 Amsterdam - Berlin - Werchter 2018 Pinkpop - London - Berlin - Werchter - London
    @BelgianPJfan
    @BelgianPJfan
    @BelgianPJfan
    @BelgianPJfan
  • Thanks a lot for the support guys! They didn't play Release at Rock Werchter, but the show was still unreal and soulwarming!
    I got Eddie's drumstick after they played 'Can't Deny Me', Eddie smiled and waved at me a few times (I think he recognized me from Pinkpop) & he stood on the barrier in front of me, while he was holding my hand tight, singing Porch.. The love that they give you every single show, is so pure and the love we receive is the love that is saved.
    Thanks for another amazing concert, Pearl Jam!
    I know you were with me that night..