Every day is Earth Day. Let's talk about ways to make it better.

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I know this subject mainly relates to Japan and their use of nuclear energy, but I hope it is also seen as a plea to do our part to care for our oceans.

That subject was brought back to my attention, yet again, in a rather shocking way today when a customer came in asking for a book, Galileo's Daughter, and we got to talking about this and that and the other thing.  Amid the conversation, the fellow mentioned that he is a zoologist as well as a sea diver.  We were talking about a mutual favorite stretch of the California coastline and he told us that he thinks that area will see a decline in population in the coming years.  I asked why and he said because the abalone season has been cancelled this year and that abalone is a big part of that area's economy.  He went into some fairly technical details about coastal marine ecosystems and problems with massive kelp die-off and mollusk starvation.  He did some diving not too long ago to see what the abalone populations looked like and he said he found several that were attached to rocks (which is what they do) but that they were dead and only attached by non-living membranes.  He told us he believes these serious breeches to the balance of these ecosystems are likely due to heavy metals and other toxins that have made their way across the ocean  from Japan since the breakdown of the nuclear power plants that was a result of the 2014 earthquake and tsunami.

This is some heavy shit.  Once again, this illustrates how serious the situation with our oceans is.  All life stems from the ocean.  If the oceans die... etc.  I know I focus a lot on this kind of thing and perhaps it gets old and for that I apologize, but I still believe if we are aware of these things, share that information, and do our part, we can reduce these harmful impacts on the planet.  It only makes sense to do that.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    Smellyman said:
    vaggar99 said:
    grow some food and share it with your friends.
    I don't get some things in life.  We know homes can grow food, produce their own power now, collect their own water etc.  But very few do it.  In bizarro land a certain POTUS will make it more difficult for you to do so.

This should be celebrated and darn near mandatory

it's one of the cheapest and most rewarding hobbies a person can take on.  and yes, if even half the people living in suburban neighborhoods like me farmed, the world would be much different.  
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2018
    Pruitt just resigned because of all the questions about his ethics (another great choice that Trump made! He sure loves ethically compromised people!). I would say that this is good news for the EPA and the environment, but I can't, because the deputy chief who will step in at least for now is a fucking coal lobbyist. And if Trump chooses someone else as a permanent chief, I have total confidence in Trump's ability to make the worst choice imaginable so that his anti-environment goals can continue to be met. :disappointed:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2018/07/05/embattled-epa-chief-scott-pruitt-resigns/?utm_term=.1b2dd080564e&wpisrc=al_news__alert-politics--alert-national&wpmk=1

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    ^ I'll do what I want here... Irresponsibly... :wink:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    A local mall

Devonshire Mall's new food court opens, $70M makeover continues

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/devonshire-malls-new-food-court-opens-70m-makeover-continues

From The Article...

There are no garbage cans in the food court. Customers can leave garbage on the tables or take their tray to one of two recycling stations where workers sort garbage into recyclables and organic waste. Savard said the food court has a 92 per cent diversion rate to keep more garbage out of the landfill.

Give Peas A Chance…
    A local mall

Devonshire Mall's new food court opens, $70M makeover continues

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/devonshire-malls-new-food-court-opens-70m-makeover-continues

From The Article...

There are no garbage cans in the food court. Customers can leave garbage on the tables or take their tray to one of two recycling stations where workers sort garbage into recyclables and organic waste. Savard said the food court has a 92 per cent diversion rate to keep more garbage out of the landfill.

Totally cool! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

One thing we could do is get somebody FAR better to replace Pruitt.

Adios, dude.

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Wow, I didn’t realize this was such an issue?  Maybe if people just stopped over consuming paper and plastics...?  I pay a company to pick up my recycling, but I guess I should start composting a lot more cardboard and paper!  

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-us-has-nowhere-to-put-its-recycling
    PJPOWER said:
    Wow, I didn’t realize this was such an issue?  Maybe if people just stopped over consuming paper and plastics...?  I pay a company to pick up my recycling, but I guess I should start composting a lot more cardboard and paper!  

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-us-has-nowhere-to-put-its-recycling
    Recycling is great and we recycle as much as possible but it's obviously not the #1 solution.  But the real solutions are not feasible in a world with growing populations, more parts of the world motivated to moving into  the first world (who can blame them?), and the facet of capitalism that thrives on planned obsolescence- manufacturing that  produces cheap goods that break down quickly rather than durable goods. The more urgent solutions to the problem include lowering population growth, having first world people accept and heed the need to live more simply, and producing durable goods.  I hate to sound pessimistic, but I don't see those things happening any time soon.  We will have to adapt to the harsh changes we bring on ourselves as a species. 

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    How about a 20-year city development plan that slows Urban sprawl by increasing housing density and Mass transit? 

Minneapolis Confronts Its History of Housing Segregation
    By doing away with single-family zoning, the city takes on high rent, long commutes, and racism in real estate in one fell swoop

https://amp.slate.com/business/2018/12/minneapolis-single-family-zoning-housing-racism.html
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    CM189191 said:
    How about a 20-year city development plan that slows Urban sprawl by increasing housing density and Mass transit? 

Minneapolis Confronts Its History of Housing Segregation
    By doing away with single-family zoning, the city takes on high rent, long commutes, and racism in real estate in one fell swoop

https://amp.slate.com/business/2018/12/minneapolis-single-family-zoning-housing-racism.html
    I know that because of some of the more current things I have quoted the man saying that James Howard Kunstler is not a well like name in these parts, but besides his more current interest in Deep State issues, he has also been a pioneer in contemporary rethinking of urban and housing issues.  Clips from interviews with him are interspersed in this thought provoking documentary, "The End of Suburbia",
    and he writes extensively about the need to restructure housing and cities in these three excellent books:

Give Peas A Chance…

:lol:  you go, Willie!

brianlux said:
    Each state can choose to shutter their coal plants?  Correct?  Then why doesn't the environmental movement focus at the state level?  Whining about trump for the next 2-4 years will change nothing.  Americans are like Canadians, we love to whine...but too lazy to enact change.  But if you ask me, the real concern is the amount of plastic that ends up in the Ocean.  So plastic needs to be completely banned or the problem will never go away...and every country in the world has ban plastic in order to make a difference...not some token banning of plastic straws.  Since the world can never agree on much, I doubt a total plastic ban will happen.  After watching 60 minutes on plastic, we are fucked.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Climate change: The massive CO2 emitter you may not know about

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46455844?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=facebook&ns_campaign=bbcnews

The only way the earth can be fixed is for the human race to go extinct.  This is also why I'm opposed to Asylum Seekers and Immigration at the current levels.  The more people you let the more shit you need to build, the resources being used...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    Each state can choose to shutter their coal plants?  Correct?  Then why doesn't the environmental movement focus at the state level?  Whining about trump for the next 2-4 years will change nothing.  Americans are like Canadians, we love to whine...but too lazy to enact change.  But if you ask me, the real concern is the amount of plastic that ends up in the Ocean.  So plastic needs to be completely banned or the problem will never go away...and every country in the world has ban plastic in order to make a difference...not some token banning of plastic straws.  Since the world can never agree on much, I doubt a total plastic ban will happen.  After watching 60 minutes on plastic, we are fucked.  
    Yes, true, but at the same time I think the hard work of the many who do work to enact change is worth acknowledging.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Yes, true, but at the same time I think the hard work of the many who do work to enact change is worth acknowledging.
    I absolutely will acknowledge the hard work that people do, especially you.  Did you see the 60 minutes segment on plastic...plastic has to be completely banned?  There is no way the Oceans will clean up properly until we humans go extinct, just no way.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    I absolutely will acknowledge the hard work that people do, especially you.  Did you see the 60 minutes segment on plastic...plastic has to be completely banned?  There is no way the Oceans will clean up properly until we humans go extinct, just no way.
    I do my little part, that's all, but thanks.  :smile:

No, haven't seen the 60 Min. show on plastic, I'll check it out.

You may be right about humans needing to go extinct for the oceans to clean up.  On the other hand, as a species we might express our collective inner better selves and change before that happens.  Not likely, but there's always a slim chance.  That's what we work for.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    I do my little part, that's all, but thanks.  :smile:

No, haven't seen the 60 Min. show on plastic, I'll check it out.

You may be right about humans needing to go extinct for the oceans to clean up.  On the other hand, as a species we might express our collective inner better selves and change before that happens.  Not likely, but there's always a slim chance.  That's what we work for.

There is no doubt in my mind that we must quit using plastic, all plastic.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited December 2018
    Yeah, it's pretty insane.  The statistics vary, but something like 300 million tons of plastic are produced each year.  About half of that is singe use  (single use?  WTF?).  And National Geographic says that 91% of plastic is not recycled. 

Triple WTF!

• rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    edited December 2018
    I got into an argument today on social media about bin collections for household waste in one community going from weekly pick ups to fortnightly pick ups. Holy shit did i get stepped on for suggesting reducing household waste. It was as if i had consulted with the devil haha.
    Post edited by rhanishane on
    Underground bins are currently introduced in my hometown. Let's see how that's going to turn out.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024

:lol:
    brianlux said:
    Yeah, it's pretty insane.  The statistics vary, but something like 300 million tons of plastic are produced each year.  About half of that is singe use  (single use?  WTF?).  And National Geographic says that 91% of plastic is not recycled. 

Triple WTF!
    I saw one video that claims humans dump the equivalent of 1 dump truck full of plastic into the oceans every minute...just disgusting.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    Pap said:

:lol:
    😂