Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

Comments

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    So that's where carrot juice comes from!
     :o  =)

and ewwww, gross lol
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    My brother claims to have had a close encounter with a bobcat in his backyard. "CLAIMS."
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    My brother claims to have had a close encounter with a bobcat in his backyard. "CLAIMS."
    Your brother sent me this image as proof:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

•  =)=)  
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Great thread.  

Had two foxes block my car the other as i was trying to pull into the driveway.   One decided to clean the other.  I didnt mind the wait.  Beautiful creatures 
    Great thread.  

Had two foxes block my car the other as i was trying to pull into the driveway.   One decided to clean the other.  I didnt mind the wait.  Beautiful creatures 
    Cool!  Yeah, they really are beauties!  :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711

this guy was in my apartment a few years ago.

had one of a garter snake but can't find it anywhere
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    brianlux said:
    Just noticed these two Spotted Doves soaking up some morning sun on the backyard lawn after a frosty Winter's morning.

The dove is sweet but that elephant stepping over the low brick wall,  WHOA!! :lol:
    i thought the same thing, looks like an elephants foot. especially the "toes" :lol:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD

Awesome!  Bats are so cool!  We've had a few in the shed at times.

Love that frog.  Out cat Annie was desperately trying to get to something behind a bookshelf the other night.  I just figured it was another crane fly (which she sometimes eats!).  Turns out it was a little frog.  Thankfully I caught it and took it outside before she could mangle it.  This (and the fact the we have the occasional fox, coyote and racoon around here) is exactly why she is an indoor cat.  Other wise she would be a serial killer (birds, rabbits, lizards, frogs, etc) or victim to the fox, coyote or racoon.  She has a real kill or be killed nature... except with humans, and then she is sweet as can be!

brianlux said:

Love that frog.  Out cat Annie was desperately trying to get to something behind a bookshelf the other night.  I just figured it was another crane fly (which she sometimes eats!).  Turns out it was a little frog.  Thankfully I caught it and took it outside before she could mangle it.  This (and the fact the we have the occasional fox, coyote and racoon around here) is exactly why she is an indoor cat.  Other wise she would be a serial killer (birds, rabbits, lizards, frogs, etc) or victim to the fox, coyote or racoon.  She has a real kill or be killed nature... except with humans, and then she is sweet as can be!
    cool, where do you live again? 
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    brianlux said:

Near Placerville, CA in what I sometimes refer to as "Hell Dorado County".  (How hot is here here?  It's hot, damn hot!)

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Near Placerville, CA in what I sometimes refer to as "Hell Dorado County".  (How hot is here here?  It's hot, damn hot!)

oh ok, thought you were in the midwest or southeast for some reason
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

oh ok, thought you were in the midwest or southeast for some reason
    Its' my tendency to be ultra conservative.  Fools people all the time.  :lol:

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

good whitewater rafting in those parts.

assuming there’s been some rain...
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    brianlux said:
    Your brother sent me this image as proof:

Beat me to it :lol:
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

There were here four deer in my front garden.  Sat there in my truck and waited for them to move on.  It can be a real deer highway around here.

There were here four deer in my front garden.  Sat there in my truck and waited for them to move on.  It can be a real deer highway around here.
    Nice pictures of those beauties!  

Shrub trimmers.  We get plenty of them as well.  Keeping the garden fence in repair is a must around here!

In the park where I walk the dogs.  It was about 5-6 feet away from us.  Just sat there, calm as you please, and watched us watching it.

In the park where I walk the dogs.  It was about 5-6 feet away from us.  Just sat there, calm as you please, and watched us watching it.
    Marvelous!

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

Seen on the cycle path that I use to get to work. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

Insert caption:
    "Good day to you, madame"
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    edited June 2018
    Removed post
    Post edited by darwinstheory on
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    edited June 2018
    We had a bunny yesterday afternoon. Dog saw it yesterday evening. Now, we have no bunny. I'll do you the courtesy of not showing a current photo of said bunny.
    Poor bunny :(

Was it a pet bunny?
    No, ithe was a veggie garden stealing kind. Still, it was sad.

But the puppy looked so proud to show it off. Needless to say, I did not ask for any puppy kisses last night. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    Rabbit breath
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    edited June 2018
    EDIT:  After a few minutes of cooling, I'm going to re-word my response here. 

The idea of this thread is to tell us about (and even better yet, upload pictures of) wildlife you see in your yard.    It has nothing to do with domestic animals.  It has even less to do with domestic animals killing wildlife in your yard.  I would appreciate it if anyone posting here would refrain from posting stories such as how your dog killed the bunny rabbit in your yard.  Most of those of us who are interested in this thread don't find those stories funny or amusing within the context of this thread.  On the other hand, if that is the kind of thing most people here want to talk about here, fine, I'll request the thread be quietly removed.

Thank you.
    Post edited by brianlux on

To be clear, I did not imply that my very real story was funny or amusing. In fact, I specifically made mention that it was sad. Further, the above referenced post was in response to another member discussing this very topic, perhaps even worse. I can only surmise that because those posts were not criticized, critiqued or mocked, that maybe your familiarity with certain people gives them a "pass" if you will.

As it stands, I do enjoy, respect and understand that which is wildlife. This thread is a good thread with some great photos and, in my opinion should remain open. For the more sensitive on this forum, I will remove my post that is in question. 
    The loss of the bunnny is sad Brian, but I don’t think sharing the story was intended to upset anyone or to derail the thread.  Sadly, it’s the cycle if life.  

Here is something to cheer you up though.  I took it in my garden this afternoon.  Peace & love to you.

To be clear, I did not imply that my very real story was funny or amusing. In fact, I specifically made mention that it was sad. Further, the above referenced post was in response to another member discussing this very topic, perhaps even worse. I can only surmise that because those posts were not criticized, critiqued or mocked, that maybe your familiarity with certain people gives them a "pass" if you will.

As it stands, I do enjoy, respect and understand that which is wildlife. This thread is a good thread with some great photos and, in my opinion should remain open. For the more sensitive on this forum, I will remove my post that is in question. 
    Yeah, sorry about that.  The other post bugged me too.  Sorry if I misunderstood yours. 

It's not about being overly sensitive,  I've seen gory stuff in both civilization and nature and understand that  is part of life.  But I'd like to suggest we stick with just wildlife that visits our homes, where ever they may be.

Again, sorry if I offended. 

Let's keep it going.

The loss of the bunnny is sad Brian, but I don’t think sharing the story was intended to upset anyone or to derail the thread.  Sadly, it’s the cycle if life.  

Here is something to cheer you up though.  I took it in my garden this afternoon.  Peace & love to you.

Swallowtails!  Beautiful.  We had lots of them in my yard when I was a kid.  A favorite!