*** London, UK Fanviews Here 6/18/18 ***

Comments

• KP276492KP276492 Birmingham, England Posts: 11
    pablo5 said:

Eddie was struggling big time with his voice which made the set list interesting.  Every song was either an easy one to sing or one where the crowd did the singing.

Did you get the sense that his voice troubles were related to an illness?  
    Yes he said so. It could be nodules on his vocal chords or just a nasty infection. Ed certainly needed a break several times but he still sounded amazing.
    Manchester Evening News Arena, Aug 17, 2009
    Hard Rock Calling, London, June 25, 2010
    First Direct Arena, Leeds, July 8, 2014
    National Bowl, Milton Keynes, England, July 11, 2014
    O2 Arena, London, England June 18, 2018.
  • Human TideHuman Tide Posts: 313
    edited June 2018
    KP276492 said:
    pablo5 said:

Eddie was struggling big time with his voice which made the set list interesting.  Every song was either an easy one to sing or one where the crowd did the singing.

Did you get the sense that his voice troubles were related to an illness?  
    Yes he said so. It could be nodules on his vocal chords or just a nasty infection. Ed certainly needed a break several times but he still sounded amazing.
    Nodules on the vocal cords sound like bad news! Hopefully it's just an infection that will clear up quickly. 
    Post edited by Human Tide on
  • TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    edited June 2018
    Just here to say "who the hell is Blind Willie Dixon"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Dixon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Willie_McTell

That said, looks like a great show and I can't wait for Seattle!!!!!
    Your light made us stars
  • RideRickRideRick Hoorn Posts: 703
    hrd2imgn said:
    Are the days of 30 plus songs over???
    Yes, and the days of better played songs introduced :bee:

nice setlist. 
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    It's too bad Eddie was sick, this is my favourite setlist of the tour thus far.
  • FunkezFunkez Copenhagen Posts: 133
    Awesome setlist! Seems Eddie was on fire - and comfortably drunk
    Roskilde '92, Roskilde '00, Rock Werchter '12, Stockholm '12, Copenhagen '12, Berlin '14, Stockholm '14, Oslo '14, London '14, NYC '15, (EV) Kvaerndrup '17, Amsterdam I '18, Berlin '18, London II 18, (EV) Berlin '19
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    Air23 said:
    After 3 shows I can say that this has been the worst tour so far
    This is just wrong. I cannot see where you have dug this up.  Have you been to all 3 so far.
    What is it you are looking for?.
    It's been fuckin awesome.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,084
    Why I love this band - last night was show 20 for me and I got to see Of the Girl, Parting Ways, and You Are for the first time, which all sounded incredible!  I'm wondering how they'll top that setlist tonight. 

For those reading and worried about Ed's voice, he sounded great on the majority (IMO) but was struggling more towards the end on songs like MYM and Can't Deny Me.  I hope he does himself a favour tonight by not choosing those hard to sing songs!

Roll on tonight!  =)  
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • StrykerStryker Upstate, NY Posts: 585
    Anam. said:
    First ever PJ gig tonight. Wow.
    Excellent. And so it begins. You will never be the same.
    =)
    Have truer words ever been spoken?
  • wozza77wozza77 Posts: 273
    I was front row on the side of the stage, which is almost backstage. 

Ed's voice for the first slow songs was absolutely immense so deep and strong, but as soon as Animal kicked in, I knew something was not right, I thought it was the sound at first and then saw him looking at Mike and shrugging. 

On the hard (animal, MYM) songs, his voice could not cope. But this did not ruin the show, in fact the opposite for me. Due to his voice I think I saw songs I never thought I would see and his voice on these were immense. He also managed to sing a wonderful Black and Alive. Can' Deny was a struggle and he asked Mike to help. During Black he went to the very back of the stage and was curled up for a good minute or so, looked like he was trying to be sick. By the time Rockin came on he could barely speak let alone sing. 

I honestly believe most other singers would have cancelled or at the very least cut the set massively. I am so grateful to this band and Ed for putting it all on the line for us. 

Any other band and I would be sure the second night would be cancelled and I still think that is possible, but knowing this band they will come out and surprise me again. 

Thanks Ed, thanks PJ you have given me another night I will never forget. 
    Now it all comes down to numbers, now I'm glad that I have quit
    Folks these days just don't do nothing simple for the love of it
  • dresi_4dresi_4 Czech Republic Posts: 92
    wozza77 said:
    Any other band and I would be sure the second night would be cancelled and I still think that is possible, but knowing this band they will come out and surprise me again. 
    It is great but I hope this doesn't backfire on Ed. He can blow up his voice completely tonight and then it is game over for the rest of the tour. 
    2014 Vienna
    2018 Prague, Krakow
    2022 Krakow, Prague
  • What.  A.  Night!

Bring on round 2
  • SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    I was absolutely thrilled to get Parting Ways, You Are and Love Boat Captain, but also see Brain or J. & Of the Girl again. Disappointing about the voice but it didn't dampen the experience, he powered through it immensely. Roll on tonight.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • alexross42alexross42 Posts: 352
    edited June 2018
    My tenth gig and it was an amazing one, the crowd were one of the best I've been in with plenty of vocal support for Ed who was clearly struggling at times but even so still managed to sound great - Ed with a sore voice is still better than most other vocalists with a healthy one!
    The band were on fire as usual with some nice teases of riffs from songs by British bands smattered throughout
    My Music, 'Crowd of Oaks' - Spotify | Bandcamp

Manchester 2000 :: Cardiff 2000 :: Prague 2006 :: London 2007 :: Manchester 2009 :: London 2009 :: Manchester I 2012 :: Manchester II 2012 :: Milton Keynes 2014 :: London I 2018 :: London II 2018

*BRAD* Birmingham 2013 :: London 2013
  • wishlisa76wishlisa76 Sweden Posts: 806
    What a beautiful show! In the beginning, I sensed something was off but couldn’t understand why. Then Eddie told us he had a throat problem but I couldn’t hear it that much and it didn’t affect the show for me. At first I thought the crowd was very passive compared to the other PJ shows I’ve been to, but that was completely wrong. As the show went on, the vibe became more and more peaceful and friendly, loving and focused. I was surrounded by people who truly seemed to love the music and we all enjoyed it together. Everyone had the best time! The band was great. These are excellent musicians and it’s a true joy hearing them play. 

At one point, some security warning flashed on the big screen. It said something about how everyone must keep calm and leave the arena due to a security situation. Everyone around me noticed it too and it felt uncomfortable for a while.

I am so grateful for the setlist! I got to hear Off the girl, Parting Ways and You are, which is such a great song written by Matt Cameron! 

The crowd was really into singing last night and we helped Eddie a bit as he had a sore throat. This created a feeling of warmth in the arena. I’ve already watched some clips on youtube and wow, everyone really sang last night. This show had a more introverted vibe than the other shows I’ve been to, in the sense that people focused on the music more than drinking and fighting (like some idiots in Milton Keynes 2014). I really love London and the brits are so friendly and polite, which is a great match with Pearl Jam.

So, it was a beautiful show which gave me that healing PJ feeling ...
    "I gather speed from you fucking with me"

PJ in Stockholm, Sweden, 7th July 2012. EV solo in London, 31st July 2012. PJ in Stockholm 28th of June 2014. PJ in Milton Keynes UK, 11th of July 2014, Eddie solo in London 6th of June 2017. PJ London 18th of June, 2018, and 17th of July, 2018.
  • js261067js261067 Posts: 125
    There was no self preservation for Eds voice in the set list which would be fine if he was able to hit all the rights notes,  but unfortunately,  he couldn't.  Just couldn't understand playing MYM that far in,  a song which sounds strained at the best of times.  Would have preferred  "Come back" or something similar,  to get the best from what range he had.

Going again tonight and can't say I'm massively looking forward to it if the set list doesn't compensate for his illness.
  • wozza77wozza77 Posts: 273
    js261067 said:
    There was no self preservation for Eds voice in the set list which would be fine if he was able to hit all the rights notes,  but unfortunately,  he couldn't.  Just couldn't understand playing MYM that far in,  a song which sounds strained at the best of times.  Would have preferred  "Come back" or something similar,  to get the best from what range he had.

Going again tonight and can't say I'm massively looking forward to it if the set list doesn't compensate for his illness.
    Disagree, I think they picked the set specifically around his voice. However clearly they feel there are some hits they have to play eg MYM, porch, alive and black. 

I only thought Animal, MYM and Can't Deny were a step to far. Everything else was good, with his voice actually sounding better on softer songs, Elderly in particular was fantastic. 

I have a mate that will gladly have your ticket if you do not fancy the show, just pm if required.  
    Now it all comes down to numbers, now I'm glad that I have quit
    Folks these days just don't do nothing simple for the love of it
  • pashapasamanpashapasaman Posts: 497
    wozza77 said:
    js261067 said:

Disagree, I think they picked the set specifically around his voice. However clearly they feel there are some hits they have to play eg MYM, porch, alive and black. 

I only thought Animal, MYM and Can't Deny were a step to far. Everything else was good, with his voice actually sounding better on softer songs, Elderly in particular was fantastic. 

I have a mate that will gladly have your ticket if you do not fancy the show, just pm if required.  
    Hey i might have a ticket pm me
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    Any more info on this security warning? After the Manchester bombing and the Paris shooting I would have been freaked the heck out
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • EnjoyBeingEnjoyBeing Posts: 125
    nycrats said:
    Any more info on this security warning? After the Manchester bombing and the Paris shooting I would have been freaked the heck out

I was standing by the soundboard and could see all the images available to the video crew. That evacuation message was always available on one small screen. 

My guess (just a guess) is the video person accidentally clicked to display that screen and quickly fixed it. 
  • Ron The ShelfRon The Shelf London Posts: 80
    Going to probably be a lone voice of dissent here but having been to 20+ PJ shows around the world this was the first time that I felt the band looked and sounded old and tired. I get that Vedder had issues wirh his voice but there just didn't seem to be a spark like there usally is. I wonder if they are just getting to the point where the energy and conviction in the songs is getting to be a bit too much given their respective ages. Great setlist and You Are was a highlight but not a great gig, just a good one for me.
    London Wembley Arena - Oct 28, 1996; Manchester Evening News Arena - Jun 04, 2000; ; ; Cardiff Arena - Jun 06, 2000; Seattle Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002; ; London Astoria - Apr 20, 2006; Portland Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall - Jul 20, 2006; Berlin Wuhlheide - Sep 23, 2006; London Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007; London Shepherd's Bush Empire - Aug 11, 2009; Berlin Wuhlheide - Aug 15, 2009; London O2 Arena - Aug 18, 2009; London Hyde Park - June 25, 2010; Berlin Wulheide - June 30, 2010; Alpine Valley PJ20 East Troy - Sep 03, 2011; Alpine Valley PJ20 East Troy - Sep 04, 2011; Berlin O2 Arena - July 04, 2012; Barclays Center, Brooklyn - October 18, 2013; Barclays Center, Brooklyn - October 19, 2013; San Siro, Milan - June 20, 2014; Milton Keynes - July 11, 2014; Central Park, New York - September 26, 2015; Maracana, Rio de Janeiro -November 22, 2015
  • Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    Great show. Good songs for resting Ed's voice and I am glad he managed a few Trump-related comments.
    Completely missed the Jimmy Page stuff, but I guess that is cool to be in the same room.

The security warning thing was odd - the random lady next to me and I made some eye contact, I guess to kinda check if things were okay, but having said that she did the same thing earlier when Ed flubbed the Wishlist lyrics (and with far greater concern!). 
  • southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    What a beautiful show! In the beginning, I sensed something was off but couldn’t understand why. Then Eddie told us he had a throat problem but I couldn’t hear it that much and it didn’t affect the show for me. At first I thought the crowd was very passive compared to the other PJ shows I’ve been to, but that was completely wrong. As the show went on, the vibe became more and more peaceful and friendly, loving and focused. I was surrounded by people who truly seemed to love the music and we all enjoyed it together. Everyone had the best time! The band was great. These are excellent musicians and it’s a true joy hearing them play. 

At one point, some security warning flashed on the big screen. It said something about how everyone must keep calm and leave the arena due to a security situation. Everyone around me noticed it too and it felt uncomfortable for a while.

I am so grateful for the setlist! I got to hear Off the girl, Parting Ways and You are, which is such a great song written by Matt Cameron! 

The crowd was really into singing last night and we helped Eddie a bit as he had a sore throat. This created a feeling of warmth in the arena. I’ve already watched some clips on youtube and wow, everyone really sang last night. This show had a more introverted vibe than the other shows I’ve been to, in the sense that people focused on the music more than drinking and fighting (like some idiots in Milton Keynes 2014). I really love London and the brits are so friendly and polite, which is a great match with Pearl Jam.

So, it was a beautiful show which gave me that healing PJ feeling ...
    So well said! I feel exactly the same. Last night was show number 16 for me. I agree that these are outstanding musos and it is a true joy to hear them play. Mike and Matt were tops. 

I loved it! 
    rustedsigns
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited June 2018
    IF YOU KNOW LIAM GALLAGHER WHY DON'T YOU BRING HIM OUT TO DO I AM THE WALRUS WITH YOU GUYS? COME ON EDDIE!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    Air23 said:
    After 3 shows I can say that this has been the worst tour so far
    This is just wrong. I cannot see where you have dug this up.  Have you been to all 3 so far.
    What is it you are looking for?.
    It's been fuckin awesome.
    From the one show I have been to last night it has been anything but disappointing. 
    rustedsigns
  • KJ169825KJ169825 Posts: 6

A plea to the Ten Club community for the O2 Night 2.

Please show respect for the people around you in GA standing, this is aimed specifically to the person standing near us who behaved like an idiot at the O2 Night 1.

Maybe you should not stand in a crowd and happily state that you are going to push your way to the front when Pearl Jam take to the stage and if you grope would men while getting there then it’s ok because ‘it happens’ and should be ‘expected’.

Also, could you not threaten to punch the women next to you if they let you know they are fed up with trying to stop your elbows hitting them.

Even better - maybe not drink so much before a concert if drink makes you so aggressive around other people (women seemingly being your preferred target) and also makes you throw up before Pearl Jam even take to the stage?

Your actions meant that myself, my friends and others around us struggled to enjoy the concert, wondering when you would carry out your ingenious masterplan and head further to the front or that you would kick-off with those around you instead. 

The O2 security were not really interested in your actions. They did eventually (indirectly) threaten to remove you and have your ten club membership cancelled which seemed to calm you down for a while but the damage was done by that point. 

We are old enough to have been to many concerts - getting squished is a sacrifice worth making sometimes especially for Pearl Jam! But a line is crossed when threats are made and aggression is uncontrolled. It’s dangerous.

Don’t be a dick. Be respectful and show some love and support for your fellow fans, we are all there for the same reason, to enjoy ourselves. 

Behaving the way you did resulted in people feeling on edge and in a vulnerable situation.

Hopefully there will be more love in the crowd for Night 2.

99% of fans who we have met from around the world over the years at shows have been amazing and we all look out for each other. Let’s try not let people like this ruin it for the rest of us. 

So, if you do see any behaviour that you don’t feel comfortable with please report to the security.

Much love to everyone else. Thanks for being amazing fans and friends.

Stay safe and let’s look after each other.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    KJ169825 said:

A plea to the Ten Club community for the O2 Night 2.

Please show respect for the people around you in GA standing, this is aimed specifically to the person standing near us who behaved like an idiot at the O2 Night 1.

Maybe you should not stand in a crowd and happily state that you are going to push your way to the front when Pearl Jam take to the stage and if you grope would men while getting there then it’s ok because ‘it happens’ and should be ‘expected’.

Also, could you not threaten to punch the women next to you if they let you know they are fed up with trying to stop your elbows hitting them.

Even better - maybe not drink so much before a concert if drink makes you so aggressive around other people (women seemingly being your preferred target) and also makes you throw up before Pearl Jam even take to the stage?

Your actions meant that myself, my friends and others around us struggled to enjoy the concert, wondering when you would carry out your ingenious masterplan and head further to the front or that you would kick-off with those around you instead. 

The O2 security were not really interested in your actions. They did eventually (indirectly) threaten to remove you and have your ten club membership cancelled which seemed to calm you down for a while but the damage was done by that point. 

We are old enough to have been to many concerts - getting squished is a sacrifice worth making sometimes especially for Pearl Jam! But a line is crossed when threats are made and aggression is uncontrolled. It’s dangerous.

Don’t be a dick. Be respectful and show some love and support for your fellow fans, we are all there for the same reason, to enjoy ourselves. 

Behaving the way you did resulted in people feeling on edge and in a vulnerable situation.

Hopefully there will be more love in the crowd for Night 2.

99% of fans who we have met from around the world over the years at shows have been amazing and we all look out for each other. Let’s try not let people like this ruin it for the rest of us. 

So, if you do see any behaviour that you don’t feel comfortable with please report to the security.

Much love to everyone else. Thanks for being amazing fans and friends.

Stay safe and let’s look after each other.

I can't stand these kinds of people in crowds. 

Saw one of these get pushed down in the dirt by a big guy who's girlfriend got pushed by him at a Foo Fighters show, and you can feel how the entire crowd felt feelings of bliss and happiness. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • stef1885stef1885 Posts: 19
    Last nights show was great, i had a blast and MM was on fire.  I would agree that SG looked a bit 'tired', not sure why - sometimes i wonder whether well established bands get bored playing their songs on rotation.  i'd say all the energy last night was in songs from the earlier albums but to be fair to PJ they constantly rotate their set lists so this must keep it fresh, so maybe SG was just tired?  Don't know when a new PJ album will come but i'd be up for a tour of complete new album songs like Maiden done a few years ago for the 'Matter of Life and Death' tour.  That was really good and freshened their live performance up for one tour at least!  Anyway in the 10c seats tonight (standing last night) with my daughter for her first PJ gig - can't wait!  Stef1885
    1992-02-28 London England ULU
    1992-06-06 London England Finsbury Park
    1992-07-25 Denver, Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre
    2007-06-18 London England Wembley
    2018-06-18 London O2
    2018-07-17 London O2
    2022-07-08 Hyde Park
    2022-07-09 Hyde Park
  • AJMAJM Posts: 26
    Great and different setlist I like it! Bummer about Ed having a cold it always grap you by the troat, hell I only sang 2 nights with him last week and today I can talk a little haha:D Hate to morons in crowds, drinking to much because otherwise they are too scared to be at a rockshow on the floor:-) I am a big guy and always support people around me by letting them stand in front of me and taking care of those douchebags in the crowd, because they can really mess up your concert experience where you where waiting for all those months. ~Enjoy your nexts shows all!
  • SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    edited June 2018
    I don't know if the guy is in here, he was in the black COPA 10 top, really tall American guy, but you pointed out that a guy was next to us and didn't have the early entry wristband but still made his way up to the front and you two ended up getting into an argument. You asked me if I could see okay during the gig when I was behind you. Just FYI, he got up there by pushing his way up there, had a stinking attitude, claimed fan superiority and got chucked out of the early entry queue for not having the wristband. You were in the right, I wish I told you at the time.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II