The Golf Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I like the course being hard, but not because the greens are a clusterfuck.   It seems like you could make every course difficult by drying out the greens.   

I would rather there be trees, penalizing rough, water hazards, risk/reward shots.  Not greens that are shit.  Chambers Bay gets a lot of grief but greens equally as bad on this top course of all time.  Fire Mike Davis.
    These greens are nothing like chambers bay. Stop it
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited June 2018
    I love when the USGA sets up a brutal US Open. I've always liked the false fronts on their greens that punish a less than perfect shot. 
    While I don't like to see the players whine, they did have some reason to after that round. It's one thing to have a tough setup, it's another to have an unplayable course. It got to the point that it didn't matter if your shot was perfect or not. Guys were landing in the tiniest of sweet spots on the greens and it was rolling off the back. At times, guys who hit poor approaches and rolled off into the bunkers were in better shape than guys who hit perfect shots- fading it into the wind and landing into the slope only to see it run on. There is a fine line between tough and unplayable. They almost had it. Almost. 
    Don't get me wrong, as stated above, I love a hard Open. I want the Open to be a test to break par. But when guys can't even go at the hole for an 8 foot putt for fear of it rolling 10 feet past, it becomes farcical. 

Edit: By the end of the day, it became more about luck than hitting good golf shots.
    Post edited by eddiec on
    Scrolled back and read a few and my PSU boy Cliffs differs from me...oh well.  I stand firm, the USGA is a shitshow.  Make it tough, but make it fair 
    My man. I missed the last three holes, so I can’t speak to whatever shitshow happened there, But I think there was maybe 2 shots that were good shots that got penalized. The greens held good shots just fine. They did. Shitty shots were rolling for days. Fuck these guys and their birdie fests each week. DJ hit one, ONE, 2nd shot on par 4s last year with a club longer than a 7 iron. Make it tough. These guys are soft.

of course Stenson’s Perfect bunker shot went off the green. it was in the worst bunker on the hole with a downhill green. Never staying on. 
    edited June 2018
    Scrolled back and read a few and my PSU boy Cliffs differs from me...oh well.  I stand firm, the USGA is a shitshow.  Make it tough, but make it fair 
    My man. I missed the last three holes, so I can’t speak to whatever shitshow happened there, But I think there was maybe 2 shots that were good shots that got penalized. The greens held good shots just fine. They did. Shitty shots were rolling for days. Fuck these guys and their birdie fests each week. DJ hit one, ONE, 2nd shot on par 4s last year with a club longer than a 7 iron. Make it tough. These guys are soft.

of course Stenson’s Perfect bunker shot went off the green. it was in the worst bunker on the hole with a downhill green. Never staying on. 

eddiec said:
    I love when the USGA sets up a brutal US Open. I've always liked the false fronts on their greens that punish a less than perfect shot. 
    While I don't like to see the players whine, they did have some reason to after that round. It's one thing to have a tough setup, it's another to have an unplayable course. It got to the point that it didn't matter if your shot was perfect or not. Guys were landing in the tiniest of sweet spots on the greens and it was rolling off the back. At times, guys who hit poor approaches and rolled off into the bunkers were in better shape than guys who hit perfect shots- fading it into the wind and landing into the slope only to see it run on. There is a fine line between tough and unplayable. They almost had it. Almost. 
    Don't get me wrong, as stated above, I love a hard Open. I want the Open to be a test to break par. But when guys can't even go at the hole for an 8 foot putt for fear of it rolling 10 feet past, it becomes farcical. 

Edit: By the end of the day, it became more about luck than hitting good golf shots.
    The issue of putts going off the green after rolling by is valid. Then again, don’t hit the ball above the hole.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    edited June 2018
    And granted there were only the good players playing yesterday and there were two very different golf courses throughout the day, but the course played a stroke easier yesterday than it did Thursday.

Final position is that the greens got a tad too fast but not out of control and the pin on 15 was definitely bad. Now let’s move on to today. We’re gonna get a good winner

Final final thing. If you roll the ball back, none of this is an issue because the course doesn’t need to be defended
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Let's go Finau!  I'll win like $500 from this golf pool I'm in if he wins.  
    Overcorrected. This is way too easy. Dj’s approach on 1 should have been punished more 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    patrick reed en fuego.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    patrick reed en fuego.
    Ugh
    Wobbie said:
    patrick reed en fuego.
    Ugh

hey, whatever, this is gonna be a dogfight.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    patrick reed en fuego.
    Ugh

A shootout more like it because the USGA pussed out
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    patrick reed en fuego.
    Ugh

kinda crazy. maybe the wind will un-puss the course a bit.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    patrick reed en fuego.
    Ugh

kinda crazy. maybe the wind will un-puss the course a bit.
    Hope so. These pins are a fucking joke
    homeboy not looking ready for this.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited June 2018
    Wobbie said:
    homeboy not looking ready for this.
    Finau? I would love to see him win
    Also 100% down with brooks repeating. He liked the hard conditions yesterday.
    Thank fucking god he missed that. 
    edited June 2018

I stepped away. you gotta be talking about reed. :lol:

for whatever reason, koepka is about my last choice to win this.

maybe fleetwood sneaks in? I doubt it. needed that last putt.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

Fleetwood. Didn’t want him setting the us open record with these pins today. But yeah, it applies to any Reed miss too.
    not sure this thing is gonna produce any drama. DJ can’t buy a putt.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

Fleetwood. Didn’t want him setting the us open record with these pins today.

but then you could have quit having to hear about johnny miller :confounded:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Koepka’s gonna deserve this.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • sk8nshoot1sk8nshoot1 Posts: 722
    DJ falling apart early.  I have money on Fleetwood so I hope he catches him.
    Caught DJ but not Koepka...  Fleetwood second with a rush...
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
    crazy that koepka has 4 PGA wins and 2 are US Opens.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    That’s a big boy win. Dude is giddy 
    Wobbie said:
    crazy that koepka has 4 PGA wins and 2 are US Opens.
    John Daly style.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited June 2018

Land in Scotland in two weeks!  I was planning on canceling that part of the trip but American Airlines has told me that would cost $3,000, so I am not canceling.  I have booked no hotels or courses as I was planning to cancel.  I believe my only shot at the Old Course will be an early, early arrival and hoping to be placed in a group.  I don't want to waste time though and not play since I'll only be there 3.5 days.  I'll be in St. Andrews though so it can't be all bad.  I love it that sunrise is 4:24am and sunset is 10:00pm though!   I'll be by myself so I figure it may be easier to get paired up with a twosome or threesome.

Land in Scotland in two weeks!  I was planning on canceling that part of the trip but American Airlines has told me that would cost $3,000, so I am not canceling.  I have booked no hotels or courses as I was planning to cancel.  I believe my only shot at the Old Course will be an early, early arrival and hoping to be placed in a group.  I don't want to waste time though and not play since I'll only be there 3.5 days.  I'll be in St. Andrews though so it can't be all bad.  I love it that sunrise is 4:24am and sunset is 10:00pm though!   I'll be by myself so I figure it may be easier to get paired up with a twosome or threesome.

Sweet. Hope you get out on the Old Course.
    Dress warm. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489

I bought some rain gear but probably not good enough.  Makes it tough to pack when going from 80's to 50's.

That's sweet.  The Old Course is definitely a bucket list for me, but from what I understand it won't be one of the more enjoyable rounds from a purely golf round standpoint.  It takes a couple times playing to "get it", apparently.

That said, have read a good amount on golf over there and the local muni tracks are some of the most fun courses to play.  That said, tons of options from anything on the British Rota, to mid level courses to munis.  There are a number of sites dedicated to tourists playing golf in Scotland or Ireland, so check them out when you book.