We must have a better system to deal with 10c ticket exchanges / refunds

Comments

• bertanbertan Posts: 266
    Attaway77 said:
    bertan said:

Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure that I'll pass that memo to cancer cells, dying relatives, last minute work projects, flight cancelling thunderstorms, etc...

Wow.... To read this above is just crazy.  It's a fucking concert man, nothing more, nothing less. Unreal...

I'm sorry if that sounds dramatic but those are the kinds of things that happen in life and prevent you from going to concerts. You don't schedule those things, and that's what I was replying to. Yes if there's a health emergency you wouldn't give a fuck about the tickets, but why would you waste hundreds of dollars in that kind of situation. That's what annoys me, Ten Club's indifference to your helplessness. And I still think there must a better way to deal with those kind of situations.

on2legs said:
    • All ticket sales are final. No refunds. No exchanges. No name transfers. No exceptions. Please do not enter for a show you are not certain you can attend. 
    This is the problem. I was certain I could attend. I live in London, I bought two pairs of tickets for London gigs. Like I said on the previous post, I'm not looking to get my money back on this tour, I'm trying to find a better way for the next one.
    "hey na na na na hey that's something"

30.09.2006 Athens | 18.06.2007 London | 18.08.2009 London | 05.07.2014 Werchter | 17.07.2018 London | 08.07.2022 London
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    How many fan clubs offer ticket refunds?
  • Sandy66Sandy66 Queensland, Australia Posts: 226
    They also should have the option of single tickets, of the 4 shows I won, 2 of my extra buyers have pulled out at last minute. Would be much easier if I didn't have to worry about getting rid of spares and make more tickets available 
    BDO, Melbourne, 2014.   EV Solo, Melbourne, 2014.   Memphis, 2014.   Detroit, 2014.   St Paul, 2014.  Global Citizens Festival, NYC, 2015.   Columbia, 2016.   Jazz Fest, New Orleans, 2016.   Philly 1 & 2, 2016.   MSG 1 & 2, New York, 2016.  Ottawa, 2016.   Toronto 1, 2016.  Amsterdam 1 & 2, 2018.  London 1, 2018.  Padova, 2018.  Rome, 2018.  Prague, 2018.
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    agree 100 percent
    danny d
  • jdopjjdopj Posts: 646
    MayDay10 said:
    How many fan clubs offer ticket refunds?
    Or airline tickets, or ........
    Its unfortunate but you can either turn them back in or sell one of them. 
    If you sadly got sick or a wedding or whatever it may be the concert is not high on the priority list. 
    You can’t make a rule for every situation, it just makes it too easy to manipulate the system which we see time and time again when 10c tries to accommodate someone 

• maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    Or maybe have another lottery draw closer to the date for unclaimed/returned tickets and only allow people that didn't win previous lottery for those shows to enter.....I could have swore they did this for Wrigley a few years back, no? I can't remember but I seem to recall a second lottery
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,930
    Here’s my suggestion.

1. 10c lottery as per usual - winners told about winning tickets, etc.
    2. Continued lottery for losers to assign waitlist rank
    3. Email goes out to losers asking whether they want waitlist status for cancellations, etc.
    4. Winners have up until X weeks before the show (based on Ten Club ability to process changes) to request cancellation, with no guarantees
    5. As cancellations are requested, wait listed individuals are contacted in their waitlisted order. If they respond within enough time, they can buy those tickets, and the original purchaser is refunded. If no waitlisters come forward in time, tickets remain in the original buyers’ possession

This removes the abuse potential, as you can’t sell your tickets to a named individual, only the next one in line. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    benjs said:
    Here’s my suggestion.

3. Email goes out to losers asking whether they want waitlist status for cancellations, etc.
    4. Winners have up until X weeks before the show (based on Ten Club ability to process changes) to request cancellation, with no guarantees
    5. As cancellations are requested, wait listed individuals are contacted in their waitlisted order. If they respond within enough time, they can buy those tickets, and the original purchaser is refunded. If no waitlisters come forward in time, tickets remain in the original buyers’ possession

This removes the abuse potential, as you can’t sell your tickets to a named individual, only the next one in line. 
    Still abuse the fact of getting more then you need then deciding after winning which ones you will use. Plus all of the extra work/headache for 10 club. If I knew I could just put in for any show and cancel with no repercussions why would I not put in for everything and just cancel the ones last minute that did not work out?
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    PJNB said:
    benjs said:
    Here’s my suggestion.

Still abuse the fact of getting more then you need then deciding after winning which ones you will use. Plus all of the extra work/headache for 10 club. If I knew I could just put in for any show and cancel with no repercussions why would I not put in for everything and just cancel the ones last minute that did not work out?
    Agreed.  It’s not as simple as people believe. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,766
    on2legs said:
    PJNB said:
    benjs said:
    Here’s my suggestion.

Agreed.  It’s not as simple as people believe. 
    Exactly, their is no perfect system.  It is what it is. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,930
    PJNB said:
    benjs said:
    Here’s my suggestion.

Because of the fact that there’s risk that no one wait listed wants your pair and you’re left SOL.

Also, 10c desperately needs to invest in better tech to manage these situations. It shouldn’t be an individual addressing the pivot to a new buyer - it should be automated software. They could probably reduce their FTEs if they worked smarter on the software management side of their organization.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:
    PJNB said:
    benjs said:
    Here’s my suggestion.

Because of the fact that there’s risk that no one wait listed wants your pair and you’re left SOL.

Also, 10c desperately needs to invest in better tech to manage these situations. It shouldn’t be an individual addressing the pivot to a new buyer - it should be automated software. They could probably reduce their FTEs if they worked smarter on the software management side of their organization.
    The risk of no one wanting fan club tickets is zero.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

PJNB said:
    benjs said:
    Here’s my suggestion.

Two things:
    1) There should be a limit to the number of tickets you can cancel, so people won't end up buying 9 and selling 8.
    2) There can also be a cancellation fee, say 20 percent. It's much preferable to paying the 100 percent, and the money collected would help 10C with extra work hours needed for this kind of project.

30.09.2006 Athens | 18.06.2007 London | 18.08.2009 London | 05.07.2014 Werchter | 17.07.2018 London | 08.07.2022 London
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I really don't see 10c taking on a new project to deal with people who bought tickets they couldn't use.

They get tickets, they sell them (usually sell out of their allotment).  If there's some left they give 'em to TM to deal with.   Then they're done.   I really don't see them doing a make work project of deal with cancelled tickets and secondary auctions.

The whole point of how it rolled this year was to discourage people from ordering tickets they didn't need (or circumventing the lottery process though ticket trading). 

Out of all the stuff I've read I think the only thing that could happen is single tickets.  Especially if you opt for GA.  I don't see why they couldn't do it.  It makes it tougher in seats (because you don't usually want to leave an odd number in a row), but for GA it should be ok.
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,173
    people would 100% take advantage of the system.  If transferred were allowed, all kinds of people would just put in for shows that they might make 6-8 months down the road. And if not, they just get rid of the tickets.  That would really suck for people that actually wanted to go to a show losing out to those just thinking they might in a few months. 
    Glad I didn’t have to say it first. Bingo.
    bertan said:
    PJNB said:
    benjs said:
    Here’s my suggestion.

Two things:
    1) There should be a limit to the number of tickets you can cancel, so people won't end up buying 9 and selling 8.
    2) There can also be a cancellation fee, say 20 percent. It's much preferable to paying the 100 percent, and the money collected would help 10C with extra work hours needed for this kind of project.
    You gave it a good try.  But it’s over. 

I truly feel for anyone who encounters a health concern, a death of a loved one, or any life event that is unforeseen, but in my opinion, this is the best system we have and you just have to roll with the punches. The negatives of changing the current system by far outweigh the positives. If you don’t think number of Ten Club ticket holders looking to cancel their ticket obligations would increase exponentially, you’re being naive.
  • CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,226
    I like the rules the way they are so I have a better chance to get a ticket in the lottery. The 10c rules simply make it less likely for members to enter for more tickets than they need. If there were different rules you may not have won the lottery in the first place. 
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,800
    edited June 2018
    Yeh why did you shedule your wedding ,when you knew you had a pj show?????
    Post edited by trees on

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
    trees said:
    Yeh why did you shedule your wedding ,when you knew you had a pj show?????
    I explained this before but let me tell it again. I was planning to get married a week before the gig, but for various reasons beyond my control that could not happen and this was the only date available to us. I'm not trying to get my money back for this gig, I know that's long gone. I just believe we need to have a little more flexible system, that somehow compensates for these kind of situations. That allows half refunds or limited ticket swaps etc...

• fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    on2legs said:
    That was a long post, but if I’m understanding correctly you purchased tickets that you knew where nonrefundable and had limited transfers and then you scheduled your wedding for the same week in another country?

I don’t get how that was a failure by the Ten Club.  My suggestion is to purchase tickets through the general sale next time if you want to hedge your bets and be able to sell the tickets if something comes up. 

I like the fact that it’s hard to transfer tickets.  It makes people think really hard before they put in for tickets and it prevents people from putting in for tickets that they may never use.  
    This right here.
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    You open the gates, and everybody will all of a sudden have a misfortune to tell.  That puts 10C in a tough position judging which members have real unfortunate situations, which members think broken nails are life-threatening, and which members are full of shit. Next thing you know we're asking for doctor's notes and poof! We are back in 5th grade.  As grown men and women, we all knew what we were getting into when we joined the lottery and we all agreed to it by joining.  I can (god-forbid) have ANY misfortune between now and Fenway and still just accept the fact that my tickets will go to waste, because that's what I agreed to. 
  • GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    edited June 2018
    Plan better, and if you’re at all hesitant, get tickets through public on sale. 

Im sorry to those that have had plans change - but the system works. Every system has flaws/ways that people will “lose out,” but they give plenty of time for us to plan and allocate resources. 
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    You open the gates, and everybody will all of a sudden have a misfortune to tell.  That puts 10C in a tough position judging which members have real unfortunate situations, which members think broken nails are life-threatening, and which members are full of shit. Next thing you know we're asking for doctor's notes and poof! We are back in 5th grade.  As grown men and women, we all knew what we were getting into when we joined the lottery and we all agreed to it by joining.  I can (god-forbid) have ANY misfortune between now and Fenway and still just accept the fact that my tickets will go to waste, because that's what I agreed to. 
    100% right on.  
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited June 2018
    The whole point of the system is to keep scalpers out and try to prevent people from buying tickets to shows they can’t attend.
    i knownlife happens, but I see the risk as the catch for the chance to get good tickets at face value.
    No one ever offers refunds on tickets, just the chance to resell. So I don’t get the idea for refunds, even by a deadline.
    the only alternative I can see is making tickets transferable only within 10c, you would need a 10c account to send or receive tickets. And limit the number of transfers to 1 pair or 1 city. That sounds fair to me while still keeping the integrity of the system in place. And if you’re buying tickets to 6 shows then you probably can afford to donate a few pairs in an emergency.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    mace1229 said:
    The whole point of the system is to keep scalpers out and try to prevent people from buying tickets to shows they can’t attend.
    i knownlife happens, but I see the risk as the catch for the chance to get good tickets at face value.
    No one ever offers refunds on tickets, just the chance to resell. So I don’t get the idea for refunds, even by a deadline.
    the only alternative I can see is making tickets transferable only within 10c, you would need a 10c account to send or receive tickets. And limit the number of transfers to 1 pair or 1 city. That sounds fair to me while still keeping the integrity of the system in place. And if you’re buying tickets to 6 shows then you probably can afford to donate a few pairs in an emergency.
    This is how is used to be, but many, many people took advantage and ruined it. People in Texas would bid for tickets for shows in NY with zero intent of going and simply transfer to their friends in NY who were also members. This also ruins it for everyone; hence why the Ten Club did away with it.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Yeah, that would advance the account mult and buddy cartel
  • aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    Sandy66 said:
    They also should have the option of single tickets, of the 4 shows I won, 2 of my extra buyers have pulled out at last minute. Would be much easier if I didn't have to worry about getting rid of spares and make more tickets available 
    100% agree.
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    we "must" have a better system?  umm why? the rules were set out from the beginning and they aren't complicated.  but this is the world we live in today where people want rules to be guidelines only.  yes it's a rule but but but it should be different for me.  i'm special :bring_it:
  • tl238413tl238413 Posts: 5
    So my last concert was in Denver several years ago... 4 tickets, rafters behind the stage...couldn’t see shit. Wasted money flying to Denver, hotel room, etc, etc.  had I known in advance about how shitty the tickets would be...I never would have purchased them.

Now I buy tickets to Missoula show months in advance, but as the time draws near, other stuff has come up in my life and I can’t attend. But now I’m stuck with tickets that I can’t even give away, much less sell for face face value.

An observation about human nature... when you’re fighting the man, everything is chill and very much done with what’s best for the people in mind... yet when you become the Man, the crown of Pompous Dickhead seems to fit better on the newly crowned than it did on the deposed.

At least with Ticketmaster you could see what you were buying beforehand and you could give the tickets away!!!

There is a better way to handle this  problem. Is there a perfect way? No.
    But continuing to fuck over loyal fans is not an acceptable alternative to the current “you don’t know where your tickets are before you buy them” and “you can’t get rid of the tickets once you buy them” system. 

This system sucks and Pearl Jam, if you think you’re better than Ticketmaster with this approach, you are sadly mistaken.