2023-2024 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    mrussel1 said:
    Buffalo got fucked with that crease call.  
    Yes they did!!
    It was bullshit. That crease rule was ridiculous to begin with and all season long it was resulting in disallowed goals.  There was no leeway.  All of the sudden, there was a Cup clinching one, the NHL fails to review it... and then claims that there was a memo like a week earlier stating that the rule changed (bullshit).  They also tried to claim that Hull had 'possession' of the puck which allowed him to be in the crease (bullshit).  To not even have a review of that... ooof.

In Game 1 of that series, Dallas had 7 straight powerplays including 2 in overtime and 10 for the game (powerplays were awarded with a bit lesser frequency then, especially in the playoffs.  Jason Wooley won the game for Buffalo in overtime.  After the victory by Buffalo in OT, Bob Swados, the original team counsel, wrote in his book that he met NHL executives in the elevator right after the game. He said the atmosphere of the elevator resembled that of a funeral. He described the league personnel as sullen and "stone-faced." He made a comment that the Sabres triumphed over adversity to which Bettman responded "Adversity justified." 

With that said, the Sabres (who outplayed Dallas most of that game) were showing signs of running out of gas in that 7th period.  I would put $ on Dallas closing it out... and they would also be more likely to win Game 7.  
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

I'd say if any team breaks the drought in Canada it will be Winnipeg...
    this city will fucking burn if that happens. 
    Winnipeg is young and talented and I think they will get better ...

i agree. I just think this city will lose its fucking mind if we win. we haven't even won a GREY Cup in a frickin' 8 or 9 team league since 1990. 28 years with a 1 in 8 or 9 chance every year. that's mind boggling. 
    I did not realize the blue bombers haven't won a grey cup in that long ... the Jets should/hopefully bring a championship to town in the near future...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

i agree. I just think this city will lose its fucking mind if we win. we haven't even won a GREY Cup in a frickin' 8 or 9 team league since 1990. 28 years with a 1 in 8 or 9 chance every year. that's mind boggling. 
    I did not realize the blue bombers haven't won a grey cup in that long ... the Jets should/hopefully bring a championship to town in the near future...
    yeah, they're kind of the laughing stock of the league in that regard. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

yeah, they're kind of the laughing stock of the league in that regard. 
    I would think in a small league they'd win more often.  Just poor management I guess.  The Jets will keep the city happy for a while...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Buffalo got fucked with that crease call.  
    Yes they did!!
    It was bullshit. That crease rule was ridiculous to begin with and all season long it was resulting in disallowed goals.  There was no leeway.  All of the sudden, there was a Cup clinching one, the NHL fails to review it... and then claims that there was a memo like a week earlier stating that the rule changed (bullshit).  They also tried to claim that Hull had 'possession' of the puck which allowed him to be in the crease (bullshit).  To not even have a review of that... ooof.

In Game 1 of that series, Dallas had 7 straight powerplays including 2 in overtime and 10 for the game (powerplays were awarded with a bit lesser frequency then, especially in the playoffs.  Jason Wooley won the game for Buffalo in overtime.  After the victory by Buffalo in OT, Bob Swados, the original team counsel, wrote in his book that he met NHL executives in the elevator right after the game. He said the atmosphere of the elevator resembled that of a funeral. He described the league personnel as sullen and "stone-faced." He made a comment that the Sabres triumphed over adversity to which Bettman responded "Adversity justified." 

With that said, the Sabres (who outplayed Dallas most of that game) were showing signs of running out of gas in that 7th period.  I would put $ on Dallas closing it out... and they would also be more likely to win Game 7.  
    Yep on all counts.

Also, Scott Norwood was roughed.  
    I also will also be glad for Barry Trotz ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    so if the Caps win, how many players will go to the White House?  Will Trump even invite them?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Ovechkin will. He'll carry a message from Putin.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mrussel1 said:
    in a ridiculous oversized envelope that doucheboy won't even read. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    3 Swedes, 8 Canadians, 1 Dane, 1 German, 3 Czechs, 3 Russians, 8 Americans, and an Aussie.  Most of them will go.  Hockey players are too kind.
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    i think tonight ol Stanley will make an appearance on the ice 
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    mrussel1 said:
    in a ridiculous oversized envelope that doucheboy won't even read. 
    Ha!  Touche
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Wild stuff in 2nd!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Lord Stanley getting polished up.
    Can Vegas delay it?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    C'mon....want the see a game 6
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I cannot imagine what the fuck a Stanley cup celebration in Vegas would be like. People may die
    I wish they would have kept Willie and he could've been a part of this...but congrats to the Caps.
    (How the fuck does the clock stop?)

So sad there is no more hockey
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Somewhere Putin smiles.....

Congrats Caps.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    Just glad Fleury didn't win another one
    I miss igotid88
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989

I wish they would have kept Willie and he could've been a part of this...but congrats to the Caps.

I agree it sucks... .cant wait for next season when the Wings win the cup!

Great win for the Caps! 40+ years in the making....

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
     That finals sucked.  Vegas (and the West) was under skilled. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    I cannot imagine what the fuck a Stanley cup celebration in Vegas would be like. People may die
    What a city to win a championship in.  Right to the club to party with the Cup.  That's awesome.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723

So sad.  Nothing but baseball for the next 3 months....especially brutal when your baseball team is complete garbage.  A lot of Netflix nights in my future.

So sad.  Nothing but baseball for the next 3 months....especially brutal when your baseball team is complete garbage.  A lot of Netflix nights in my future.
    Yeah, I am a Reds fan so I am used to my team being trash. 
    Perhaps I can sleep a few extra hours a night.  (Right....)
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715

The Reds haven't been watchable for a while.  I can't remember the last time i tuned into one of their games.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    KC138045 said:

The Reds haven't been watchable for a while.  I can't remember the last time i tuned into one of their games.
    I watch them when they are on here, or when the Season Pass is on free trial, but I dont pay for the pass like I did for a while.
    I see them when they play in Philly.
    They suck.

Now....the Kings?  I stay up and watch any games they are on and only stopped buying the NHL package because it ruined 2 years of sleep.  I tried to tell myself I would go to bed at appropriate hours but I never did. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Love watching a team with the Cup.  They get so excited. way more than other sports.  and the Cup itself is just awesome.

and where is the guy a month or two ago said Ovechkin wasn't one of the best 50 players of all time and not a superstar?
    pjhawks said:l
    Love watching a team with the Cup.  They get so excited. way more than other sports.  and the Cup itself is just awesome.

and where is the guy a month or two ago said Ovechkin wasn't one of the best 50 players of all time and not a superstar?
    I said he wasn't.  But I also said if he won it,  then maybe he is.  He's still a Putin stooge who supports the regime of a man that kills with impunity and responsible for the downing of a commercial airline.  So i could give a shit how many cups or goals he scores.  Who gives a fuck in the grand scheme of things. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    pjhawks said:

The Stanley Cup is without a doubt the best of championship celebrations! From the handshake line, to the presentation to the team captain, to the handoffs to veterans and teammates alike and skating it around the ice.  Unlike other professional sports where every championship team gets their own trophy to keep, there is only one Stanley Cup (technically 3, but for sake of argument there is one).  You win it, you cherish it for a year, you have your personal day with it, then you give it back and fight another grueling season for the honor of celebrating with it again.