What was the last movie you watched?

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Raiders of the Lost Ark. Wow, that movie is great. 

then I started to watch Temple of Doom after. I went to bed. 
    Indiana Jones is my favorite trilogy (4th one doesn't count, lol). Raiders is one of my favorite movies of all time, but I really love The Temple of Doom. I feel that it's underrated. I don't understand why people pan it the way they sometimes do. It's a really solid story line.
    I have watched all 3 countless times. 

it's the silliness, the campiness, the "sidekick" of Short Round. the blond damsel in distress. it was more cheap comedy. I much prefered the toughness of Marion in Raiders. And I like the darkness of the first and third. 

if they remade it, it could star Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker. 
    Honestly, I thought Temple was darker than Raiders and that Crusade is the most light hearted/campy with the father/son tandem comedy throughout. In Temple that whole heart tearing out, alligators eating all the bridge tumblers, rolling pin conveyor death and gross food eating makes it way darker for me, which is why I often like that one the best :)
    Temple was definiitely more gorey, but in a WWE way, not a serious movie way. Crusade was GOOD comedy, the dynamic between Connery and Ford was awesome. Temple fell flat to me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dankind said:
    tbergs said:
    did not know there is a planned 5th movie. summer 2020 release date. 
    I really wish they would just end it. If anything they should have made another 3-5 years after Crusade when everyone was still "young" and popular actors. I can't remember the last time I was interested in seeing a Harrison Ford movie. He was my favorite actor growing up so it's hard to see him in pretty much anything post 2000.
    Agreed. 
    Cate Blanchett's hammed up performance in that shitty last one is fucking awesome, though!

She was the only one on the set who knew what kind of movie she was in, and she fucking went for it!
    I'll have to watch the 4th one again. I don't recall a single scene, to be honest. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    dankind said:
    tbergs said:
    did not know there is a planned 5th movie. summer 2020 release date. 
    I really wish they would just end it. If anything they should have made another 3-5 years after Crusade when everyone was still "young" and popular actors. I can't remember the last time I was interested in seeing a Harrison Ford movie. He was my favorite actor growing up so it's hard to see him in pretty much anything post 2000.
    Agreed. 
    Cate Blanchett's hammed up performance in that shitty last one is fucking awesome, though!

She was the only one on the set who knew what kind of movie she was in, and she fucking went for it!
    I'll have to watch the 4th one again. I don't recall a single scene, to be honest. 
    Geez, when you said last one I immediately thought to myself, "Cate Blanchett? She wasn't in Crusade." I have mentally erased Crystal as part of the movie franchise. All I can vaguely remember about that movie is a fire in a warehouse that seems to blend together with the Joker burning that stack of money in Dark Knight. lol
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Indiana Jones is my favorite trilogy (4th one doesn't count, lol). Raiders is one of my favorite movies of all time, but I really love The Temple of Doom. I feel that it's underrated. I don't understand why people pan it the way they sometimes do. It's a really solid story line.

it's the silliness, the campiness, the "sidekick" of Short Round. the blond damsel in distress. it was more cheap comedy. I much prefered the toughness of Marion in Raiders. And I like the darkness of the first and third. 

Honestly, I thought Temple was darker than Raiders and that Crusade is the most light hearted/campy with the father/son tandem comedy throughout. In Temple that whole heart tearing out, alligators eating all the bridge tumblers, rolling pin conveyor death and gross food eating makes it way darker for me, which is why I often like that one the best :)
    Temple was definiitely more gorey, but in a WWE way, not a serious movie way. Crusade was GOOD comedy, the dynamic between Connery and Ford was awesome. Temple fell flat to me. 
    Yeah, for sure. I loved the comedy of Ford/Connery and the brief brilliance of River Phoenix as Young Indie. For me the biggest problem with Temple was Kate Capshaw. I really liked short round, but adding another comedic sidekick that was a ditzy romantic interest really wrecked a lot of that movie. I could easily skip any part where she is a key part, except during the ritual. She should have been burned in the pit, but I'm sure Steven had a say in her key involvement.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

I always felt that the silliness was counterbalanced by the notable (even controversial, at the time) darkness and relative goriness of it. I never thought of it as "cheap comedy" at all - I always felt it was just more of that homage to the old serials that the whole series was intended to be - they just touched on an extra factor, which is the more comedic side. Plus, I like Short Round. He is portrayed as a really smart and capable kid, and as an all around decent human being. Besides, they really needed his character in it, because of the huge role that "the children" play in the storyline. Short Round functions as the bridge between the adults and all those kids that needed rescuing, plus the child-leader kid who was under the spell. Finally, he also allows Indy to show his softer side - his warmth towards Short Round shows an important side of his character that only barely came across in the first movie (with Sal's kids).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I always felt that the silliness was counterbalanced by the notable (even controversial, at the time) darkness and relative goriness of it. I never thought of it as "cheap comedy" at all - I always felt it was just more of that homage to the old serials that the whole series was intended to be - they just touched on an extra factor, which is the more comedic side. Plus, I like Short Round. He is portrayed as a really smart and capable kid, and as an all around decent human being. Besides, they really needed his character in it, because of the huge role that "the children" play in the storyline. Short Round functions as the bridge between the adults and all those kids that needed rescuing, plus the child-leader kid who was under the spell. Finally, he also allows Indy to show his softer side - his warmth towards Short Round shows an important side of his character that only barely came across in the first movie (with Sal's kids).
    yeah, I get all that. I just didn't like it. the blonde made me want to punch my tv. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

yeah, I get all that. I just didn't like it. the blonde made me want to punch my tv. 
    Yeah, she's kind of annoying, I agree with that, but wow, she doesn't bug me that much, lol. Definitely not anywhere near enough to ruin the whole movie. Plus she gets better as she goes along, which makes sense.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, she's kind of annoying, I agree with that, but wow, she doesn't bug me that much, lol. Definitely not anywhere near enough to ruin the whole movie. Plus she gets better as she goes along, which makes sense.
    to a point, but she comes so far that it's not believable nor relatable to me. I barely got through 15 minutes, WHILE HIGH, and shut it off. 

she doesn't ruin the whole movie. I don't like her character, but I didn't like the movie for the many reasons I mentioned. it was the plot. it was the (over) acting. it was the casting. 

we are all expected to suspend our beliefs for entertainment. The religious aspect of Raiders is somewhat believable, given what I was taught growing up. that spoke to me. but the occultishness of Temple and the tearing out the heart and it burning in the guy's hand as the guy being lowered burned was all too stupid to me. 

of course, when I was 10, I thought it was the coolest fucking scene of the coolest fucking movie I'd ever seen. my friends and I recreated and quoted that scene ad nauseum back then.

But it hasn't aged well for me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

to a point, but she comes so far that it's not believable nor relatable to me. I barely got through 15 minutes, WHILE HIGH, and shut it off. 

she doesn't ruin the whole movie. I don't like her character, but I didn't like the movie for the many reasons I mentioned. it was the plot. it was the (over) acting. it was the casting. 

we are all expected to suspend our beliefs for entertainment. The religious aspect of Raiders is somewhat believable, given what I was taught growing up. that spoke to me. but the occultishness of Temple and the tearing out the heart and it burning in the guy's hand as the guy being lowered burned was all too stupid to me. 

of course, when I was 10, I thought it was the coolest fucking scene of the coolest fucking movie I'd ever seen. my friends and I recreated and quoted that scene ad nauseum back then.

That is interesting... So the melting of the faces from the spirits that come out of the ark sits okay with you, but once it gets into things that are no more fantastical (maybe less so) but have an occult theme it becomes too unbelievable? I say this in the lightest way possible... but that makes no sense. =);) For me, my favorite part is all that occult stuff plus the Indian culture theme and the exotic elements, like the bugs and elephants and bats, etc etc, plus the stones that keep the village thriving... all combined together, I think it's all rather fascinating. Of course it's not realistic - it's not supposed to be. It's an action fantasy story.
    How do you feel about The Last Crusade then? Lots of extremely unbelievable things happen in that too, but they went back to the Christian theme. Does that sit better for you too? I personally absolutely love that one - Sean Connery is especially enjoyable. They used tons of humour for that one as well, and I think it's all great. And the opening sequence with River Phoenix - fantastic. I love how they use that to explain so many things about Indy so fast - the chin scar, the whip, the snake phobia, his career choice, the holy grail connection, his skills on a horse, his choice of clothes... I just love that they did that. The only thing that bugs me about that movie is that they didn't get eternal life like they were supposed to. What's that bullshit about the magic of the grail only working within the temple??? What a rip off!!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I agree with that, but wow, she doesn't bug me that much, lol.

And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I agree with that, but wow, she doesn't bug me that much, lol.

She certainly kept relatively calm during that scene anyway. If that had been me I would have spazzed WAY more than she did, lol. Indy and Short Round would have been goners!
  • As a side note... for anyone who cares... the Raiders ride at Disneyland was the very first ride my family went on (our first trip).

We were at the gates of Disneyland at opening and we raced in- ready for a full day. We had a mapped out plan and Raiders was the first ride. My 9 year old son got the steering wheel. He swears to this day he though the was driving us through the ordeal. I kept yelling to him, "Dude! Keep us moving. We gotta get outta here! Just keep driving, Champ!" He was flailing away at the wheel. It was hilarious.

At the same time my 6 year old daughter had her head buried on my lap. She was cussing us out, "What are we doing on this thing?" It was too real for her.

Good times. Really good times.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

That is interesting... So the melting of the faces from the spirits that come out of the ark sits okay with you, but once it gets into things that are no more fantastical (maybe less so) but have an occult theme it becomes too unbelievable? I say this in the lightest way possible... but that makes no sense. =);) For me, my favorite part is all that occult stuff plus the Indian culture theme and the exotic elements, like the bugs and elephants and bats, etc etc, plus the stones that keep the village thriving... all combined together, I think it's all rather fascinating. Of course it's not realistic - it's not supposed to be. It's an action fantasy story.
    How do you feel about The Last Crusade then? Lots of extremely unbelievable things happen in that too, but they went back to the Christian theme. Does that sit better for you too? I personally absolutely love that one - Sean Connery is especially enjoyable. They used tons of humour for that one as well, and I think it's all great. And the opening sequence with River Phoenix - fantastic. I love how they use that to explain so many things about Indy so fast - the chin scar, the whip, the snake phobia, his career choice, the holy grail connection, his skills on a horse, his choice of clothes... I just love that they did that. The only thing that bugs me about that movie is that they didn't get eternal life like they were supposed to. What's that bullshit about the magic of the grail only working within the temple??? What a rip off!!
    I never said it had to be realistic. I said it had to be not stupid. :)

yes, I am aware of the seemingly hypocritical nature of my opinion (religion: yay occult: nay). But I explained that in the way that it sort of is relatable to me given my upbringing. But it's not just what happened, it's HOW it happened. it's the total package, not just one thing. You keep focusing on individual aspects of my criticisms. It's not one thing about Temple that killed the movie for me. It's all of them put together. 

and yes, as I stated, I loved Crusade, the plot, the acting, the humour, the Ford/Connery dynamic, loved it. I didn't say I didn't like humour in the movies, that was a huge part of it; in Raiders, they were able to meld the darkenss and the humour perfectly. Crusade had more humour than darkness, and it worked incredibly well. 

I just didn't get that from Temple. at all. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    I remember The Last Crusade was the first movie I ever went to see without my parents taking me. The first time in a cinema with just my friends, we felt so grown up - we were 13! :lol:
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    edited May 2018
    goldrush said:
    I remember The Last Crusade was the first movie I ever went to see without my parents taking me. The first time in a cinema with just my friends, we felt so grown up - we were 13! :lol:
    Funny, my memory of seeing it in the theatre is a kind of literal opposite. I was a teenaged girl, so I normally never ever went and did anything with my dad like that - me and him, just for fun. We only went places together more for necessity, you know? So that was the first and last time I went out with my dad one-on-one for entertainment's sake over many years. We got along fine, but we just didn't relate to each other at that point in our lives, and I was basically in the "wouldn't be caught dead hanging out with my parents" phase, lol. But we were both always huge Indiana Jones nerds, so we at least managed that one night out at the movies together. He absolutely LOVES The Last Crusade.
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Solo
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Hobbes said:
    Solo
    Cool. Taking the pre-K graduate to see it this evening.

I hope he likes it. I'm guessing that there won't be enough fighting for him, since I've read that it's more of a plot-driven heist movie. But he wants to see it. Maybe we'll get to leave early if he gets bored.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Pap said:
    The Odd Life Of Timothy Green (2012)
    Great movie....love Glen Hansard song too . 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Don't think I've visited this thread before but I just watched The Last Crusade again the other night and I come here and it's being talked about. Too funny.
    Raiders is probably the best movie, but Crusade is my personal favourite of the 4. I watched Temple over and over as a kid but I just can't hack it anymore. I watched the Skull movie once and couldn't believe what crap it was. 

• BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    Solo

i liked it, thought was pretty good
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Pap said:
    The Odd Life Of Timothy Green (2012)
    Great movie....love Glen Hansard song too . 
    That's what actually led me to the movie. :wink:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Solo

It was good fun.  Had I never watched the rest of the Star Wars movies I don't believe I would have enjoyed it too much...but I did, so I did.  :)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Solo

Good heist movie
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    edited June 2018
    The Rider

Knew absolutely  nothing about this movie but thought it was awesome. Has a 92 on metacritic. And 97% on rotten  tomatoes.

IMDb: The Rider
    The Rider
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Sleepaway Camp
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,204
    50/50. Pretty good.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Solo

Pretty good. Better than Last Jedi but not as good as Rogue One.
    6/10

The surprise appearance of a certain character is only cool if a sequel is made which will be interesting to see if it happen.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Deadpool 2.
    Liked it.  Laughed quite a bit.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Red Sparrow 

It was Okay - pretty disturbing in parts, but that was the point I think. Certainly not worth a sequal
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014