Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Edved82 said:
    Running through some Neil stuff on Spotify today - Ragged Glory, Weld, Broken Arrow and some random stuff on YouTube. Christ that man is a legend.
    Amen!

Anybody heard any more news about further upcoming Crazy Horse shows? 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,291
    Going to see him live on June 30 in Chicago, can't wait
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Should I go see Crosby live in the fall? never really listened to his stuff...

I'll skip Van Morrison and Graham Nash.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Should I go see Crosby live in the fall? never really listened to his stuff...

I'll skip Van Morrison and Graham Nash.
    If I had to/ could choose between those three I would definitely go with Crosby.  If you do go, maybe give us a quick show review!  :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Crosbys latest album is pretty good. Feels alot more worked-out than Neils latest efforts.-
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Crosbys latest album is pretty good. Feels alot more worked-out than Neils latest efforts.-
    Pretty amazing that guy is still around.  I've have all his books and enjoyed each one thoroughly. Good reads, good man!

brianlux said:
    Pretty amazing that guy is still around.  I've have all his books and enjoyed each one thoroughly. Good reads, good man!
    Maybe... but he sounded like a sleeeezeeeeeeee when he was on the WIP podcast. Haha.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    Pretty epic score on the vinyl front for me recently.

First up, the Roxy vinyl finally arrived, the first time an order from Neil’s site has taken this long. It’s great that you get a download on release day, but it’s always much nicer to have the wax.

Then last week a collector friend of mine from back home gave me the heads up that these were available...

They all arrived this morning and I’m still in shock. Dead Man and Broken Arrow are still sealed - they won’t be for long! - Lucky Thirteen is open but in really good condition.

I’ve pretty much blown my record-buying budget for the year but it was well worth it :)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:

First up, the Roxy vinyl finally arrived, the first time an order from Neil’s site has taken this long. It’s great that you get a download on release day, but it’s always much nicer to have the wax.

Then last week a collector friend of mine from back home gave me the heads up that these were available...

They all arrived this morning and I’m still in shock. Dead Man and Broken Arrow are still sealed - they won’t be for long! - Lucky Thirteen is open but in really good condition.

I’ve pretty much blown my record-buying budget for the year but it was well worth it :)
    How much did you have to give for them?

Roxy was/is 40 dollars here. I can't really justify it.
    goldrush said:

How much did you have to give for them?

Roxy was/is 40 dollars here. I can't really justify it.
    Roxy was $30 on Neil's website. For some reason I always buy his new vinyl direct (a bit like only buying PJ vinyl from 10C I guess). The shipping is usually pretty quick; the last vinyl box set (ORS 8.5-12) arrived a couple of days after release day. 

I paid 350 for the other 3. I think the split was 150 for Broken Arrow / 125 for Dead Man / 75 for Lucky Thirteen. I didn't intend to buy all 3, but I couldn't bring myself to leave any of them out!

(Tim Rogers)
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    3 beauties there. Fair play! Broken Arrow is such a great NYCH record.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
    “HUGE DROP OF UNRELEASED TRACKS!”

(Tim Rogers)
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Once NYA goes mobile,  i'm 100% in
    I don't want to hang around that archive-thing...
    Here’s a good article on the Archives:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jun/04/neil-young-archives

“And that’s why Neil Young Archives feels like a breakthrough. Here at last is an online presentation of an artist’s catalogue that presents the hits and the rarities, alongside all the relevant information about every track – the lineup, the location, the producer, where it was released, plus supporting documents, photos. It’s like one of the first wave of box sets expanded to its logical extreme, but still – despite its huge breadth – manageable in a way that the 18 CDs of Dylan’s The Cutting Edge just weren’t. You can concentrate on individual albums, or on periods of work; you can compare the solo work with the Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young music from the same time. You can listen to study, or for pure pleasure.

Of course, Neil Young has certain key advantages over other artists that have enabled him to do this: a fascination with the possibilities of technology, a bloody-minded determination to do what he wants, and the clout to get it done. But flicking through Neil Young Archives, the possibilities for other artists beam out like headlamps. Here’s the future, albeit the future of the past.”

I’ll sign up when the subscriptions go live. I don’t spend too much time in there right now, but when the unreleased songs start dropping, $20 a year really isn’t that much (considering I pay a lot more for 10C membership)

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    Here’s a good article on the Archives:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jun/04/neil-young-archives

“And that’s why Neil Young Archives feels like a breakthrough. Here at last is an online presentation of an artist’s catalogue that presents the hits and the rarities, alongside all the relevant information about every track – the lineup, the location, the producer, where it was released, plus supporting documents, photos. It’s like one of the first wave of box sets expanded to its logical extreme, but still – despite its huge breadth – manageable in a way that the 18 CDs of Dylan’s The Cutting Edge just weren’t. You can concentrate on individual albums, or on periods of work; you can compare the solo work with the Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young music from the same time. You can listen to study, or for pure pleasure.

Of course, Neil Young has certain key advantages over other artists that have enabled him to do this: a fascination with the possibilities of technology, a bloody-minded determination to do what he wants, and the clout to get it done. But flicking through Neil Young Archives, the possibilities for other artists beam out like headlamps. Here’s the future, albeit the future of the past.”

I’ll sign up when the subscriptions go live. I don’t spend too much time in there right now, but when the unreleased songs start dropping, $20 a year really isn’t that much (considering I pay a lot more for 10C membership)

Thanks for posting that!

$20 a year?  Sounds like a bargain to me!

I don't need it, and I would not really use it. But it is nifty for those who need it I guess. 

But I guess  I have to dive in because of the unreleased songs.
    I don't need it, and I would not really use it. But it is nifty for those who need it I guess. 

But I guess  I have to dive in because of the unreleased songs.
    It looks like all of the unreleased records will get a normal release, but you get to hear them first on the Archives site. Not sure how it will work with individual songs that may not be on albums.

$20 when I already have all of Neil’s released songs may seem unnecessary, but the way I look at it is that I pay a lot more for 10C membership and only get a 7” single, when they bother to do it, and forum access. $20 for first-listen of unreleased music is ok by me, especially when it goes onto mobile at the end of the year.

(Tim Rogers)
    Don't forget presale tix
    Last night’s Libero Theatre set list 

1. Rockin' In The Free World
    2. Love And War
    3. Peaceful Valley Boulevard
    4. Sign Of Love
    5. Someone's Gonna Rescue You (first time played)
    6. Angry World (first time played)
    7. Human Highway
    8. Out On The Weekend
    9. Unknown Legend
    10. The Ocean (Micah Nelson song)
    11. Forget About Georgia (Lucas Nelson song)
    12. Love And Only Love
    13. Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)
    ---
    14. F*!#in' Up
    15. Roll Another Number

It’s extremely rare that RITFW opens a set. It’s only ever happened at a couple of benefits, apparently. Quite a few Le Noise songs in there too.

(Tim Rogers)
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    goldrush said:

2. Love And War
    4. Sign Of Love
    7. Human Highway
    8. Out On The Weekend
    9. Unknown Legend
    12. Love And Only Love
    ---
    14. F*!#in' Up
    15. Roll Another Number

It’s extremely rare that RITFW opens a set. It’s only ever happened at a couple of benefits, apparently. Quite a few Le Noise songs in there too.

oh Damn, I thought the Le Noise songs wouldn't get played again. such a unique setup needed to really get those to sound right. was this a full band show or Neil solo?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:
    goldrush said:

2. Love And War
    4. Sign Of Love
    7. Human Highway
    8. Out On The Weekend
    9. Unknown Legend
    12. Love And Only Love
    ---
    14. F*!#in' Up
    15. Roll Another Number

oh Damn, I thought the Le Noise songs wouldn't get played again. such a unique setup needed to really get those to sound right. was this a full band show or Neil solo?
    Promise of the Real were with him

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    lolobugg said:
    goldrush said:

2. Love And War
    4. Sign Of Love
    7. Human Highway
    8. Out On The Weekend
    9. Unknown Legend
    12. Love And Only Love
    ---
    14. F*!#in' Up
    15. Roll Another Number

Promise of the Real were with him

wow. I would like to hear a bootleg of this show.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Looks like Promise Of The Real.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    edited June 2018
    Looks like there’s a live stream of the second show about to happen on the NYA site!!

(Tim Rogers)
  • adusickadusick Posts: 1,367
    goldrush said:
    Looks like there’s a live stream of the second show about to happen on the NYA site!!

Welp, that was awesome. Thanks for the heads up! 
    adusick said:
    goldrush said:

All good. Glad you caught it! Not many people would start a show with a 20 minute version of Like An Inca but that's Neil!
    I thought the Le Noise songs sounded pretty cool with a full band too.

Set List:

1. Like an Inca

2. Lotta Love

3. I Am a Child

4. Sign of Love

5. Someone's Gonna Rescue You

6. Rockin' in the Free World

7. Love and War

8. Peaceful Valley Boulevard

9. The Ocean

10. Forget About Georgia

11. Powderfinger

12. Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)

Encore

13. Angry World

14. Like a Hurricane

From the NYA announcement:
    "I Am A Child will be performed for the children and babies who have been separated from their moms and dads by the United States of America. Unfortunate and shameful, yet true"

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    adusick said:
    goldrush said:

All good. Glad you caught it! Not many people would start a show with a 20 minute version of Like An Inca but that's Neil!
    I thought the Le Noise songs sounded pretty cool with a full band too.

Set List:

1. Like an Inca

2. Lotta Love

3. I Am a Child

4. Sign of Love

5. Someone's Gonna Rescue You

6. Rockin' in the Free World

7. Love and War

8. Peaceful Valley Boulevard

9. The Ocean

10. Forget About Georgia

11. Powderfinger

12. Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)

Encore

13. Angry World

14. Like a Hurricane

From the NYA announcement:
    "I Am A Child will be performed for the children and babies who have been separated from their moms and dads by the United States of America. Unfortunate and shameful, yet true"

damn, I missed the stream

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Me too
    Same here.  I need to check in here more often!