Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    80 pull-ups to open the month today plus a full and grueling back and bicep workout.  Will see if I get sore and reassess whether 1000 for the month is too high or too low.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    rgambs said:
    80 pull-ups to open the month today plus a full and grueling back and bicep workout.  Will see if I get sore and reassess whether 1000 for the month is too high or too low.
    Are you doing assisted pullups or straight up arms?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    rgambs said:
    Gambs the navy seal in training!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Unassisted, but not strict form.  3 sets of 10 and then 10 sets of 5.  
    I can only do probably 2 or 3 strict form after a set or two. It's effing hard when you go all the way to a dead hang.  I do always go below parallel at least.  
    I'd like to get at least past 10 strict form in a row by the end of the month, and 20 regular Joe pullups in a row.

We will see what happens.  50 pull-ups isn't that many when you break it down into little sets of five. 
    Pretty sore today.  Full soreness in the lats, which is pretty rare and hard to achieve for most people.  A good sign of improvement to be made.
    I'm thinking 1000 is a little low, I'm going to shoot for 1,250.  That would equal out to an average of about 40/day.
    rgambs said:
    Pretty sore today.  Full soreness in the lats, which is pretty rare and hard to achieve for most people.  A good sign of improvement to be made.
    I'm thinking 1000 is a little low, I'm going to shoot for 1,250.  That would equal out to an average of about 40/day.
    Boom!
    Hooooo-weeee May is well underway! 
    Weight loss is slow and steady, I've finally found some middle ground.  Down 4 pounds since mid April.

Day 1 of pull-up challenge my full effort resulted in 3 sets of 10 and then 10 sets of 5 for a total of 80 spread over an hour.  Intense soreness next day.

Day 7 of pull-up challenge, with 260 reps down, my full effort resulted in 1 set of 15! (haven't gone past 10 since I was a teenager) 7! sets of 10 and 3 sets of 5 for 100 total in 20 minutes as a start to the normal back/bicep workout.

I'm currently at 360 for the month, so at this pace I will hit 1500.  I expect the progress will stall out soon, otherwise I'll be doing 50 straight by June lol
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    First day back in the gym after a 3 week hiatus. Gonna have to ease back into it. Definitely going to be sore tomorrow.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I can do a five minute plank now, which is tedious, boring as hell, and makes the area in between my scapulae burn, but I think i'm getting stronger.

Listening to music makes it more bearable than just watching the stopwatch for five minutes. Maybe I should start listening to podcasts? ;)

Am also back at a climbing class on Monday evenings. Last night was amazing. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited May 2018
    Hope everyone is doing well!
    Halfway through pull-up month and progress is steady.
    200 pull-ups in an hour today.  (Also mixed into that hour, 4 sets of 125lb barbell rows, a 4 piece dropset of pulldowns, and 4 sets of straight arm pulldowns)
    On my first set I managed 20! for the first time in more than 15 years, and I was 30lbs lighter back then lol.  All other sets were 10's, I'm not having to pull sets of 5 anymore, I can always squeeze my way to ten if I've had a good 2-3 minutes recovery from the last set.
    I'm at 1,030 so far for the month, which is higher than the initial goal I set of 1000.
    I'm very pleased and excited to see how far I can push it.  Maybe 2000 and a set of 30 is attainable!?

Post edited by rgambs on
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I am reaching goals over here!!!! Currently down 34lbs!!!!!! That's how much my 2 year old son weighs :lol: annnnnnnnnd also I am coaching my daughters wee ball team!!!! I am so super stoked. I am not self conscious at all and I'm not even at my goal weight AND I can keep up and surpass the energy of these 3 and 4 year olds!! I am super proud and happy!!!

Been reading and not posting. GREAT JOB EVERYONE!!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    FoxyRedLa said:
    I am reaching goals over here!!!! Currently down 34lbs!!!!!! That's how much my 2 year old son weighs :lol: annnnnnnnnd also I am coaching my daughters wee ball team!!!! I am so super stoked. I am not self conscious at all and I'm not even at my goal weight AND I can keep up and surpass the energy of these 3 and 4 year olds!! I am super proud and happy!!!

That was the best goal you had (and now achieved!!!) If I remember correctly, to have the energy to keep up with the kids!
    Congrats!

rgambs said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

That was the best goal you had (and now achieved!!!) If I remember correctly, to have the energy to keep up with the kids!
    Congrats!

Yes! Just try to wipe this smile off my face!
    Congrats, Foxy! You’re doing a wonderful thing for yourself and your kids. What a role model you are! 
    Congrats, Foxy! You’re doing a wonderful thing for yourself and your kids. What a role model you are! 
    Thanks!! More to come!!
    Pulled a set of 20 followed by two 15s and then 11 sets of ten.
    I think by next week I will be able to pull a 25 and then a 20 to start, we will see!
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    FoxyRedLa said:
    rgambs said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

Congrats!

Great job, Foxy! "I am not self-conscious at all" -- I think that's the most important part! Feeling comfortable in your body and feeling good about yourself are so important.

Not much to report here, I just keep on keeping on. I'm working a bit on fixing my running mechanics, but beyond that I don't have any specific exercise/ fitness goals that I'm working toward.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    FoxyRedLa said:
    rgambs said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

Congrats!

Great job, Foxy! "I am not self-conscious at all" -- I think that's the most important part! Feeling comfortable in your body and feeling good about yourself are so important.

Not much to report here, I just keep on keeping on. I'm working a bit on fixing my running mechanics, but beyond that I don't have any specific exercise/ fitness goals that I'm working toward.
    Keeping on is an important goal in itself!  You really can't just progress forever lol. At certain points you just have to tackle some flat ground before you climb that next mountain.

Tomorrow is leg day and I didn't do pullups today, so I should be fresh for those.  I'm going to shoot for a set of 25, which would surpass my all-time high of 22 when I was 15.  
    So... I broke my damn toe and was sidelined for a week before I felt comfortable to working out on it.  Kept up w the diet though and still lost a pound that week.

F N A!

Down to 210.

15lbs to go.

@rgambs just curious if you are working your arms too much?  Rest is supposed to be key in muscle building?

I'm pming u because I'm intrigued w your quest!

@FoxyRedLa Good for u!!!
    So... I broke my damn toe and was sidelined for a week before I felt comfortable to working out on it.  Kept up w the diet though and still lost a pound that week.

F N A!

Down to 210.

15lbs to go.

@rgambs just curious if you are working your arms too much?  Rest is supposed to be key in muscle building?

I'm pming u because I'm intrigued w your quest!

@FoxyRedLa Good for u!!!
    Yes, and no.
    Rest is very important, and I might see improved gains if I took more, but I am very resilient and I don't often approach my maximum capacity.  Not lifting very heavy causes less muscle damage to repair.
    I am also losing weight so the volume of work is important to that goal as well, and I am just not good at resting lol

My entire upper body has seen a size and strength increase from this challenge, I'm very happy with my progress. 
    Huge releases of growth hormone from all that heavy compound work.
    Now I just need to cut down about 15 lbs to reveal it all.  That's the hard part, working hard is easy and fun. 
    Avoiding Reese's Cups after working hard...now that's a real challenge.
    rgambs said:
    My entire upper body has seen a size and strength increase from this challenge, I'm very happy with my progress. 
    Now I just need to cut down about 15 lbs to reveal it all.  That's the hard part, working hard is easy and fun. 
    Dark Chocolate my man.  85% minimum!
    rgambs said:
    That's my main strategy actually lol
    I keep a bar of super dark and a bar of regular Hershey's Special Dark.  Anything over 70% doesn't satisfy the sweet tooth, and doesn't have enough fat to signal satiation (as if there was ever such a thing) and keep me from going back again and again.
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    I keep a bar of super dark and a bar of regular Hershey's Special Dark.  Anything over 70% doesn't satisfy the sweet tooth, and doesn't have enough fat to signal satiation (as if there was ever such a thing) and keep me from going back again and again.
    Lindt 85% for me.  2 squares is my limit.
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Lindt 85% for me.  2 squares is my limit.
    Yep. I buy the 85% or 90% bars. Less sugar, more chocolate. :-) Trying to keep sugar intake manageable without ignoring my chocolate addiction.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    The sugar and fat are what make it chocolate though.  I could eat straight cocoa, but it wouldn't be very good lol

I like it dark, but 85% and over isn't dessert, it's like eating coffee beans.  Still like it, but doesn't help the sweet tooth.

Curmudgeoness, why are you limiting sugar to such an extent?  At your calorie expenditure and body fat %, it needn't be much of a concern, should it?  It seems unlikely you would be insulin resistant, but that wouldn't be impossible.
    I am a big fan of dark chocolate. I stay away from big manufacturers like Lindt et al and go for the bean to bar producers. It’s amazing what different flavour profiles you will taste if you go with small batch producers. The complexity, depth and sheer yumminess means you will be satisfied with one or two squares, rather than being tempted to gnarble the whole bar. 

My favourites tend to have between 72% and 85%ish. 
    rgambs said:
    The sugar and fat are what make it chocolate though.  I could eat straight cocoa, but it wouldn't be very good lol

I like it dark, but 85% and over isn't dessert, it's like eating coffee beans.  Still like it, but doesn't help the sweet tooth.

Curmudgeoness, why are you limiting sugar to such an extent?  At your calorie expenditure and body fat %, it needn't be much of a concern, should it?  It seems unlikely you would be insulin resistant, but that wouldn't be impossible.

Well, I do have multiple autoimmune issues, so monitoring sugar makes sense in that way. But beyond that, I have a massive sweet tooth and would eat nothing but ice cream and cookies all day long, were it not so bad for me. I have no self-control when it comes to sweets.

I do burn so many calories that my trainer says I'm the only client he's had whom he has told to go eat a donut. But given all of the new research about the dangers of sugar, I work hard at staying within recommended daily limits. Unless it's donut day. :-D
    rgambs said:

Well, I do have multiple autoimmune issues, so monitoring sugar makes sense in that way. But beyond that, I have a massive sweet tooth and would eat nothing but ice cream and cookies all day long, were it not so bad for me. I have no self-control when it comes to sweets.

I do burn so many calories that my trainer says I'm the only client he's had whom he has told to go eat a donut. But given all of the new research about the dangers of sugar, I work hard at staying within recommended daily limits. Unless it's donut day. :-D
    Ah ok, for some reason I read your comment to mean you don't eat sugar at all, but I don't know where I got that from your post now that I reread it lol

Sugar is not the best thing for you, but those no-sugar nuts get on my damn nerves lol
    Live a little or else what's the friggin point??
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Ah ok, for some reason I read your comment to mean you don't eat sugar at all, but I don't know where I got that from your post now that I reread it lol

Sugar is not the best thing for you, but those no-sugar nuts get on my damn nerves lol
    Live a little or else what's the friggin point??
    Then all you have is Bark and Tofu...