Chicago Cubs baseball!!!

Comments

• elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,204
    I seriously don't understand how these fucking bums won a world series.
    David Ross.  These guys have no leader on this team.  Not Lester, Not Rizzo and certainly not Joe Maddon.  
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    David Ross.  These guys have no leader on this team.  Not Lester, Not Rizzo and certainly not Joe Maddon.  
    Dexter Fowler. Haven’t been the same since. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    bbiggs said:
    Those two guys really did seem to bring the chemistry & motivation to the team, didn't they?!  Seems like they won it all, Rossy retired, Dex hit 55 South, and the rest of the team just got too cocky.  Bryant and Hendricks are the only ones that consistently perform at a high level.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

I miss Fowler. he played his minor league ball in Asheville and I found him to be an all-around stand up dude.

and Ross.... just the coolest MF ever.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    bbiggs said:
    Those two guys really did seem to bring the chemistry & motivation to the team, didn't they?!  Seems like they won it all, Rossy retired, Dex hit 55 South, and the rest of the team just got too cocky.  Bryant and Hendricks are the only ones that consistently perform at a high level.
    Rizzo has been and always will be the glue that binds this team together. He has been THE most consistent cub on the roster for years. 
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    bbiggs said:
    Rizzo has been and always will be the glue that binds this team together. He has been THE most consistent cub on the roster for years. 
    Rizzo may be the de facto captain of the team because of his tenure, and he's even my favorite Cub.  He has been consistent over his career but he is prone to being a streaky player. Bryant shows way more of a day in/day out type of stability than Rizzo.
    bbiggs said:
    Rizzo may be the de facto captain of the team because of his tenure, and he's even my favorite Cub.  He has been consistent over his career but he is prone to being a streaky player. Bryant shows way more of a day in/day out type of stability than Rizzo.
    I disagree. I'm not even considering tenure. Rizzo  strikes out less and comes through in the clutch more often than not. He is prone to slow starts. But I don't consider him streaky.

Either way, it's a good "problem" to have. Hopefully Bryce will be in the discussion next year.
    Okay. With the risk of being ridiculed for making this statement in April, I’m going to say the Darvish signing is a complete bust. This guy sucks and is a head case. 6 years and $125M for this? Hindsight is 20/20, but we could have kept Jake for $75M. I’ll admit I did not want to re-sign Jake, but only because I thought his price tag would be far greater than $75M. Jake had his consistency issues after 2015, but it’s a case of “the devil you know.”  Darvish is the pitching equivalent of Alfonso Soriano. 
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    bbiggs said:
    Okay. With the risk of being ridiculed for making this statement in April, I’m going to say the Darvish signing is a complete bust. This guy sucks and is a head case. 6 years and $125M for this? Hindsight is 20/20, but we could have kept Jake for $75M. I’ll admit I did not want to re-sign Jake, but only because I thought his price tag would be far greater than $75M. Jake had his consistency issues after 2015, but it’s a case of “the devil you know.”  Darvish is the pitching equivalent of Alfonso Soriano. 
    Well, I won't ridicule you but I'm still a Yu fan and wish the Rangers had signed him again.  He wanted to come back and most fans wanted him.  What can I say, Jon Daniels is a complete asshat.  I agree Yu's an emotional pitcher but coaching could make a big difference.   But then, I still have faith that he'll pitch a nono  one of these days.  :lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    bbiggs said:
    Well, I won't ridicule you but I'm still a Yu fan and wish the Rangers had signed him again.  He wanted to come back and most fans wanted him.  What can I say, Jon Daniels is a complete asshat.  I agree Yu's an emotional pitcher but coaching could make a big difference.   But then, I still have faith that he'll pitch a nono  one of these days.  :lol:
    I agree he’s definitely capable of pitching a no-no. You can’t question his “stuff,” but there are a lot of pitchers with great “stuff” that never become great pitchers. Unfortunately I think Darvish falls in this category. 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Your assistant hitting coach, that was ejected for douching an ump with Gatorade, went to the same HS as me. Used to play whiffle ball in his back yard and grew up with his brother. 
    DewieCox said:
    Your assistant hitting coach, that was ejected for douching an ump with Gatorade, went to the same HS as me. Used to play whiffle ball in his back yard and grew up with his brother. 
    Haha. No kidding? What’s his name? Haines? 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited April 2018
    Yeah, Andy Haines. Good on him for sticking up for Bryant, but doubtful they’d bean him on an 0-2 count. Always good to see an ump get messy though. 

His brother, Kyle played in the Giants system and I think that’s where he’s ended up managing A ball. He played in San Jose and I have an aunt originally from here in Illinois that would bake cookies and stuff and take to the team when she realized a hometown guy made it there. 

Those 2 have made it as far as they have by pure will and love for the game. They played hoops, the only other sport our tiny school offered, but outside of that it was always baseball baseball baseball even as like an 8year old in the younger’s case. Pretty sweet whiffle ball setup in the back yard,They weren’t like the best athletes in the class(of maybe 60) or anything, but put them on a baseball field and they’d get it done. 
    Post edited by DewieCox on
    First, it's WAY too soon to be calling Yu a bust. Plus, to put him on a Soriano scale already is just silly. Soriano was a steroid user in New York (in my opinion). And after he got his huge contract, he stopped. Which explains the significant drop in his stats. Give Yu more than 3 starts to call him a bust. The guy has an arm that is capable of shutting any team down every time he pitches. 

Second, why would the Asst hitting coach have to "stick up for" Bryant? It was clearly not intentional. There was just no need for that. What was he wanting the umpire to do, toss the pitcher? Just childish.
    ^ Theres a much larger sample size on Yu Darvish than his 3 games (and almost 7 ERA) as a Cub. He’s pitched 200 innings once in his career. He’s won more than 15 games (16) once in his career. For me that’s not worth $125M and 6 years for a 31 year old.  The parallels between he and Soriano are that they both got mega contracts on the wrong side of 30 and neither will live up to the dollars paid (one didn’t and one won’t in my opinion). Darvish has the arm but doesn’t have it between the ears. I’d love to be proven wrong. 
    I'm with bbiggs on the Darvish issue.  I thought it was way too big of a deal and scratched my head at why we didn't just offer something to Jake.  Yeah, he's not Cy Young Jake anymore, but when we've needed a crucial W, he's the man that's always risen to the occasion. Darvish has proven nothing in his career except that he can't handle pressure at all.

And 3 games may be a small sample size but:

Arrieta, J.  2-0 2.04ERA 17.2IP 11H 6R 4ER 16K 6BB
    Darvish, Y. 0-2 6.86ERA 19.2IP 21H 15R 15ER 21K 11BB
    Way to go Cubs. Clean 4 game sweep of the brew crew and 8-2 in the last 10. Very solid pitching in this series. Keep it up! 
    Cubs starters in the series:
    27 IP, 1 R, 0 ER, 11 H, 24 K, 6 BB

Cubs pitching & defense: 2 runs allowed in entire series.

:plus_one:
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Cubs starters in the series:
    27 IP, 1 R, 0 ER, 11 H, 24 K, 6 BB

Cubs pitching & defense: 2 runs allowed in entire series.

:plus_one:
    Whew! I was getting nervous there for a minute Dyer. I'm glad you appeared to have taken a step back from the ledge. It's good to have you back on the positive train! Lol
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    I’ll be damned, would you just look at 1st place.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    I’ll be damned, would you just look at 1st place.
    It's a spring time miracle. That's with KB missing some time recently, Rizzo missing quite a bit of time, and the starting rotation looking awful. It'll be okay. No more panicking until September.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    edited May 2018
    Aaaaand just like that, we FUCKING SUCK again.

May as well put $125million on the mound and let it blow into the atmosphere, it'll have about the same effect as Darvish.  YU SUCK!

We are 7-1 against MIlwaukee, about to be 9-12 against the rest of the baseball.
    ^ Yu’s line:  4.1 innings, 7 hits, 3 HR, 6 runs and 3 walks.  I’ve seen that movie before. 
    Now just so I’m being fair, the team has been playing much better and pitching well as a whole. I’m just not sold on Yu and may never be. I hope I’m eating crow later in the season. 
    Cardinals division leaders on Sunday.  Write it down.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    Aaaaand just like that, we FUCKING SUCK again.

May as well put $125million on the mound and let it blow into the atmosphere, it'll have about the same effect as Darvish.  YU SUCK!

We are 7-1 against MIlwaukee, about to be 9-12 against the rest of the baseball.

$127 M is what the Giants gave Zito. for seven (?) years he sucked. then, he won an elimination game in st. louis and then beat verlander in game one of the 2012 WS. all was forgiven.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    ^ Yu hasn’t shown the ability to do that on the big stage though. Complete bust in 2017 WS 
    That was a tough one yesterday. 
    Fuck this team full of fucking garbage ass bums.