Drive By Truckers

KellerKeller Posts: 177
edited September 2006 in Other Music
I know theres alot of post on here about the drive by truckers but i'm looking to expand my collection of drive by truckers music. I'm going to see them live this friday and i'm trying to catch up as much as i can.

I have all of "A blessing and a curse" which is an amazing album. Where should i go from there?

List some of your favorite tracks or albums.
"Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    Dirty South is my favorite album by them.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • If you have the new record, I would also suggest starting with The Dirty South (also my favorite record) and working backwards from there with Decoration Day, Southern Rock Opera, Pizza Deliverance and Gangstabilly.

If you want to sample some of their live stuff, they have close to 200 shows up for free on Archive.org.

From what I have seen their current tour looks pretty killer, so I have no doubt you will enjoy the show.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • I love it... I havn't been around for a couple of weeks, and the first post I see is a new DBT post... fantastic...

Specific tracks to look for:

Decoration Day
    Goddamn Lonely Love
    Where the Devil Won't Stay
    My Sweet Annette
    Dead, Drunk and Naked
    Danko Manuel
    Marry Me

just off the top of my head...
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    dirty south and decoration day are definitely good starting points. they're really expansive live. quite good storytellers. you're in for a good show.
    Live Free or Die!
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I agree with working backward. When you have all the DBT albums, check out Patterson Hood's solo album Killers And Stars and the DBT DVD Live at the 40 Watt.
    I'll be at the Philly show with a friend. If you'd like to meet up at the show, PM me.
    Here are some of my favorite songs that haven't been mentioned yet:
    Zip City
    The Living Bubba
    Outfit
    Sounds Better In The Song
    Ronnie and Neil
    Uncle Frank
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • I'm going to see them Thursday night in NYC, I can't wait :D
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    They play just about anything and everything they've recorded, and very few covers. People Who Died (Jim Caroll Band) is the only one I can think of they play consistently. One of the best live acts out there, enjoy the show. I'd follow the advice of others, work your way backwards (Dirty South, Decoration Day, Southern Rock Opera, etc.)

I'm partial to Ganstabilly these days, but that probably isn't a good starting point.

Enjoy the Rock Show!
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • The covers they do play are really good and they don't overdue them at all... They pretty much own "People Who Died" as far as I'm concerned, as much as I do like the original. Lately they have been doing the Rolling Stones "Moonlight Mile" which is pretty killer, I saw them earlier this year and they did "Play it all night Long" by Warren Zevon which was quite possibly the highlight of the show for me, I didn't even realize what it was until about half way through the song, I was just drunkenly singing along... If you aren't familiar with that track, I suggest checking it out, its just ridiculously appropriate for them to play it. They also did a Tom Petty song, "Rebels" I think? I am not terribly familiar with his catalog....

But yeah, you can expect ~25 songs, probably more. They definitely bring it live.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Lookout Mountain, enough said.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • dont forget to get Mike Cooley's solo shows - awesome
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Lookout Mountain, enough said.
    Agreed........a great set closer. Several live tracks from Live at the 40 Watt used to be available on iTunes...........I guess that they are still there. Worth checking out.......
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    the band's playing a whack of new songs and every new song sounds amazing++
    love how bitter they are these dayz  ;)
    DRIVE BY TRUCKERS PUTTING PEOPLE ON THE MOON
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JilOi0bkrL0
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    It's Great to be Alive is fantastic
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    Check out some Jason Isbell stuff too. It's different, but so damn good. He plays some DBT on his Live in Alabama album. (he used to play guitar for them)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Bump for American Band if anyone on the board hasn’t heard it and is looking for new music. Incredible record 
    Bump for American Band if anyone on the board hasn’t heard it and is looking for new music. Incredible record 
    i recently got back into this cd preparing for the live shows a month ago and it made me realize that this record is probably my fave release since jason was in the band. there have been great songs on the albums before this one but American Band every song is good/great.. it was super hard to lose jason(for me) but my faith was totally restored with this record. bravo to PH&MC
    Bump for American Band if anyone on the board hasn’t heard it and is looking for new music. Incredible record 
    i recently got back into this cd preparing for the live shows a month ago and it made me realize that this record is probably my fave release since jason was in the band. there have been great songs on the albums before this one but American Band every song is good/great.. it was super hard to lose jason(for me) but my faith was totally restored with this record. bravo to PH&MC
    I've thought the same
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    same.  definitely their most consistent.  love it.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    LOVE this new song and the shared vocal which they don't do that often. happy friday!
    Drive By Truckers April 4 2018 Slow Ride Argument
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ET2YgKAy8c

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited April 2018
     Im just a casual fan, but i really enjoy these guys and have listened to alot, if not most of their music. Two Duaghters and a Beautiful Wife is a great song, one of my faves.
    I love their new album. Like i said, im just a casual fan, but certinally think its probably their best album. I like my music political, and this album is. The song, What It Means, has some really amazing lyrics. 

Just like to add, Jason Isbell is amazing.

Edit: The live version of, First Air of Autumn, off the deluxe edition of English Oceans is amazing.
    Post edited by Hi! on

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Has anyone seen Patterson Hood solo?  I just found out that he was playing a couple of hours away from me last weekend. I wish I would had known earlier. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

Many times. It’s great. The dude has so many great stories. 
    ComeToTX said:
    Many times. It’s great. The dude has so many great stories. 
    I can see that,.  One day I'll see him live. I've only seen the Truckers live once (Bonnaroo 08) but I wasn't much of a fan then. But after seeing them at Noon on a pretty small stage on Saturday, I was hooked. I'm seeing them again at the end of June in Jacksonville. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

edited April 2018
    DBT has been announced as one of the 4 headliners for next winter's Outlaw Country Cruise.  The lineup is impressive.

- Al Swearengen

Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley were in a band called Adam's House Cat from 1985-91.  They were once named one of the top 10 unsigned bands in the country by Musician magazine.  AHC's unreleased album is finally getting a release later this year.  In addition, AHC will reunite to open some DBT shows.  Patterson mentioned Knoxville and Atlanta at a recent solo show.  Atlanta will be 2 nights in late September.  I have also heard that DBT will do 3 shows in Birmingham, AL in November.  I'm not sure about which weekend in November except that it will not be Thanksgiving weekend.
    - Al Swearengen

that's cool.  i need some TX shows soon. i was spoiled for so long when they used to come a few times a year.
    I'm seeing DBT tonight with Tedeschi Trucks Band!

www.RLMcDaniel.com

LukinFan said:

hope u made it in for marcus king band. i have only heard/read people RAVE on about them/him
    this is such a great triple bill. TTB. DBT and marcus. wow !!!
    LukinFan said:

hope u made it in for marcus king band. i have only heard/read people RAVE on about them/him
    this is such a great triple bill. TTB. DBT and marcus. wow !!!
    I did. I had missed them when they opened for JJ Grey & Mofro this past February, so I made sure to see them this time.  They killed it - along with the Truckers and TTB. Great night all around.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

did mike or patterson have a sit in with TTB?