Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• I was listening to the CBC news yesterday evening. First up, reactions of B.C. residents protesting in Victoria Trudeau’s support of the pipeline. Everyone interviewed was furious. Then off to Alberta, where Trudeau was speaking later in the day. Everyone should be happy, right? Nope. They’re all furious that Trudeau hasn’t approved enough pipelines, fast enough. Literally no way to win. 

And once he's gone through the entire country... he'll discover other things such as Canadians have no interest in rehabilitating ISIS idiots.

To your point: he never won in Alberta to begin with. He never will win in Alberta no matter what he does. He doesn't play politics very well. I'm starting to think he actually may not have been ready.

I haven't given up on him, but eesh... come on, Justin... it's time to put the gloves on.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Here's a current marine oil spill in Indonesia:

• Further to above... it was a pipeline breach. The oil company initially denied it, but it isn't being denied anymore.
    https://www.ecowatch.com/oil-pipeline-spill-indonesia-death-2556835512.html
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Suspension of Trans Mountain pipeline spending creates tensions between B.C and Alberta, federal govt

http://nationalpost.com/news/suspensio-of-trans-mountain-pipeline-spending-creates-tensions-between-b-c-and-alberta-federal

You good folks from BC/Alberta...will this end the pipeline?  is there room for compromise?  was there alternate routes that would have been better?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Fantastic news, at least for the time being! Some think this is the beginning of Kinder Morgan's exit strategy from the project. I certainly hope so. I've often said that I didn't think the protests would actually work, because oil always wins.... I'm hoping this development is the first sign of me being proven wrong.

The AB premier has already threatened British Columbians again, lol. She's upset about Kinder Morgan's announcement so says that she's going to get revenge on BCers through sanctions. She's such an idiot, seriously.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    Fantastic news, at least for the time being! Some think this is the beginning of Kinder Morgan's exit strategy from the project. I certainly hope so. I've often said that I didn't think the protests would actually work, because oil always wins.... I'm hoping this development is the first sign of me being proven wrong.

The AB premier has already threatened British Columbians again, lol. She's upset about Kinder Morgan's announcement so says that she's going to get revenge on BCers through sanctions. She's such an idiot, seriously.
    Well, protest may have worked...

Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes, it definitely seems to have. So did voting for a different premier in BC. The people spoke - that's how it's supposed to work. I just didn't have too much faith that it would just because, you know, oil companies and money. I figured if it didn't work in Standing Rock, where the argument was even stronger against it, then it couldn't possibly work here, but perhaps I was wrong! But we'll see... Sounds like we have to wait until May 31st to really find out where it's going to go as far as Kinder Morgan is concerned.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes, it definitely seems to have. So did voting for a different premier in BC. The people spoke - that's how it's supposed to work. I just didn't have too much faith that it would just because, you know, oil companies and money. I figured if it didn't work in Standing Rock, where the argument was even stronger against it, then it couldn't possibly work here, but perhaps I was wrong! But we'll see... Sounds like we have to wait until May 31st to really find out where it's going to go as far as Kinder Morgan is concerned.
    Agreed on the mutant Clark notion here. She would not have been opposed to the project no matter how people in BC felt about it.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Agreed on the mutant Clark notion here. She would not have been opposed to the project no matter how people in BC felt about it.
    Hell no. 99% of the province could have been against it and she still would have acted like we're all a bunch of idiots and made it happen anyway, mainly because she definitely would have found way to grease her own gears and line her own pockets by doing so. She's scum, I hate her, lol. 
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Hell no. 99% of the province could have been against it and she still would have acted like we're all a bunch of idiots and made it happen anyway, mainly because she definitely would have found way to grease her own gears and line her own pockets by doing so. She's scum, I hate her, lol. 
    Agreed again.
    Alberta premier spells out retaliation in ‘frank chat’ with B.C. premier

https://globalnews.ca/news/4133025/rachel-notley-john-horgan-trans-mountain/

getting nasty...
    Give Peas A Chance…

Trudeau says Trans Mountain pipeline expansion ‘will be built’

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/video-trudeau-says-trans-mountain-pipeline-expansion-will-be-built/

This fight is not over...
    Give Peas A Chance…

Trudeau says Trans Mountain pipeline expansion ‘will be built’

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/video-trudeau-says-trans-mountain-pipeline-expansion-will-be-built/

This fight is not over...
    He said this before Kinder Morgan froze spending though....
    Alberta premier spells out retaliation in ‘frank chat’ with B.C. premier

https://globalnews.ca/news/4133025/rachel-notley-john-horgan-trans-mountain/

getting nasty...
    She's a bit of a moron. I mean, even objectively, she comes off as a silly fool.

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJ_Soul said:

I've meet Notley. She is most definitely not an idiot, moron or a silly fool.
  • dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Well she's got us all fooled!

She sounds like Trump! Is BC going to pay for it too?
    ‘It will get built’: Trudeau defiant in Trans Mountain pipeline construction

https://globalnews.ca/video/4133120/it-will-get-built-trudeau-defiant-in-trans-mountain-pipeline-construction

Today in Quebec...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Why does she act like one then?
    ‘It will get built’: Trudeau defiant in Trans Mountain pipeline construction

https://globalnews.ca/video/4133120/it-will-get-built-trudeau-defiant-in-trans-mountain-pipeline-construction

Today in Quebec...
    Yeah sure... maybe. But only if Kinder Morgan decides it's worth their while, and right now they obviously aren't sure about that at all. Nothing Trudeau can do about that. BTW, he's so full of crap with that "caring about the environment and the economy at the same time" line. It just doesn't work when he's talking about the KM pipeline - he should stop throwing it out there. We all know he's put the pipeline before the environment in this case; he may as well just own it so he can at least sound honest. 
  • Maybe...

... he just wasn't ready.

Oh well. He was worth a flyer- better than Harper for sure.
    edited April 2018
    Maybe...

... he just wasn't ready.

Oh well. He was worth a flyer- better than Harper for sure.
    Well no, I think he was completely ready (and hell yes, he's light years better than Harper)... Man do I ever hate that campaign, lol The "he's just not ready but nice hair" thing was the most ridiculous campaign I've ever seen, lol, especially since it came from a guy who was no more qualified when he took office. Trudeau never pretended he wasn't going to support the KM pipeline, so anyone who expects him to be against it now is just not even caring about reality. Him supporting it isn't what annoys me. He just needs to stop trying to pad that fact with being super green in the same breath. But hey, that's me, as someone against the KM pipeline. I suppose that bullshitty line actually does work for people who support it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't the she does.
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't the she does.
    Kay, but i do, and i'm not alone.
    edited April 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't the she does.
    Well big surprise that it makes a difference what side of the border you're on. So that makes it very subjective, not objective.
  • dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't the she does.
    Well big surprise that it makes a difference what side of the border you're on. So that makes it very subjective, not objective.
    To some degree, but her recent tweets lend support to the notion that she's an idiot.
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't the she does.
    Yeah, but it's funny how people to the right of that border really didn't like her at all until she started acting like a big baby and blabbing about "retaliation" against BC's citizens. 
  • PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't the she does.
    Yeah, but it's funny how people to the right of that border really didn't like her at all until she started acting like a big baby and blabbing about "retaliation" against BC's citizens. 
    And there's this too lol.
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't the she does.
    To some degree, but her recent tweets lend support to the notion that she's an idiot.
    I'm not on twitter. What tweets?

edited April 2018
    I only saw one tweet, and it said something like "Let me be clear - they cannot mess with Alberta."
    Seems pretty fucking moronic to me. And she seems to think BC is doing it just to screw over AB, lol. Of course, she couldn't care less what our extremely important concerns are. She sees it not as two opposing sides with valid issues, but as an "us vs them" issue, like anti-KMers are just being bullies (how ironic), and also apparently thinks that anyone against the pipeline has no valid argument, which is a bit mystifying to me.
    Oh, btw, she also tweeted that Alberta would pay for the project with tax payer's money if it was necessary, i.e. if KM pulled out ... KM said the expenses are in the ballpark of $300,000,000/MONTH, and that's now, after the initial investments, in a non-renewable, non-sustainable industry .... I hope Albertans aren't so gung ho about this fight that this seems like an idea that deserves no consultation with the people of the province, SMH. Now provincial governments are becoming pipeline companies? Wtf?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on

Rachel Notley says Ottawa can use 'economic pressure' against B.C. over Trans Mountain delay

Kinder Morgan said Sunday it is suspending non-essential spending on the controversial project

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/pipeline-alberta-legislature-notley-rachel-premier-1.4611291

Everything I read in this article from Notley sounds completely reasonable and plays well in Alberta, where she is up for re-election very soon.